http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:28:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: You need to use your Magic Ticket to escape into a movie, but the cineplex is only playing the following titles.  Which do you pick?  (Voting closed: July 13, 2005, 05:42:42 AM)
The Day After - 0 (0%)
Jurassic Park - 3 (10%)
Independence Day - 3 (10%)
Dawn of the Dead - 2 (6.7%)
A Nightmare on Elm Street - 1 (3.3%)
Return of the King - 18 (60%)
War of the Worlds - 1 (3.3%)
Saving Private Ryan - 2 (6.7%)
It's a moot choice -- there were so many commercials, I was nabbed during the trailer for 'Art Heist' staring Ellen Pompeo.  Bleah: I'm dead. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Movie Escape?  (Read 1433 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2005, 05:42:42 AM »

Through a series of a events far too labyrinthian to explain here, you have come into possession of the Magic Ticket from Last Action Hero, allowing you to enter the world of any movie you choose.  Unfortunately, your choice of movies is rather limited at the moment: your creditors have tracked you down at the cineplex and the only way out is to spend several days hiding out as a movie character.

Which of the following Feature Presentations would you most want to take your chances in, and why?

The Day After -- 1983 -- Jason Robards, Steve Guttenberg

Jurassic Park -- 1993 -- Sam Neill, Laura Dern

Independence Day -- 1996 -- Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum

Dawn of the Dead -- 2004 -- Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames

A Nightmare on Elm Street -- 1984 -- Heather Langenkamp, Robert Englund

Return of the King -- 2003 -- Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen

War of the Worlds -- 2005 -- Tom Cruise, Miranda Otto

Saving Private Ryan -- 1998 -- Tom Hanks, Tom Sizemore

Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:08:44 AM »

Bleak much?

About my choice:  I chosse Return of the King because: 1) While definitely facing long odds and terrible foe, there is still hope in the movie.  None of the other, including SPR, have much of that at all, although ID4 is in about the same vein.  Also, its one of the few (forgive me if I don't recall properly about the Day After) where most of the cast survives and even thrives.  Only Theodin and Golem bite it, so your odds are much improved about being able to come out of the movie alive, as it were.  NoES?  SPR?  DotD?  Not so much.

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:22:42 PM »

I pick Jurassic Park mainly for the reason that it still keeps me entertained after repeat viewings.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 01:34:22 PM »

Ooh...Saving Private Ryan for me.  I simultaneously love and hate that movie.  It just jerks at my heartstrings every time I see Arlington as I have friends there (which I'm sure was the point), but the movie...man, what a great flick. (IMHO)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 02:02:09 PM »

RotK. Because once evil was defeated and peace settled across the land I could bust out my knowledge of technology, medicine, mathmatics, etc and become a god among mortal men. I would invent stuff like convenient store, lotteries, mobile home parks, and hobbit-wrestling shows that toured Middle-earth. Muhahahah!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 02:09:23 PM »

War of the Worlds, only because I haven't seen it yet.   smile

Seriously, I would probably go to RotK and see if I could get some elf lovin'.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 02:48:28 PM »

Do you have to stay within the scenes of the movie?  Otherwise, you could go to "Return of the King", then just stay in one of the battle-free cities (say, the capital of Rohan) until you return to reality.  That would be present the lowest chance of getting your crap ruined.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 03:56:35 PM »

The issue is that you would have no idea what point in the movie you would be entering until after you'd made your choice by running into one of the theaters.  Sure, it's *possible* that you'd luck out and get to spend several days in Rivendell chatting it up with Arwen, but taken as a percentage of the overall film, it's far more likely that you'd find yourself in the heart of Mordor or some impossible battle sequence.

-Autistic Angel
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 04:03:35 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
RotK. Because once evil was defeated and peace settled across the land I could bust out my knowledge of technology, medicine, mathmatics, etc and become a god among mortal men. I would invent stuff like convenient store, lotteries, mobile home parks, and hobbit-wrestling shows that toured Middle-earth. Muhahahah!

This is my BOOM-STICK!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 01:50:01 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
The issue is that you would have no idea what point in the movie you would be entering until after you'd made your choice by running into one of the theaters.  Sure, it's *possible* that you'd luck out and get to spend several days in Rivendell chatting it up with Arwen, but taken as a percentage of the overall film, it's far more likely that you'd find yourself in the heart of Mordor or some impossible battle sequence.

-Autistic Angel

Well, in light of that I'm going to change my vote from Return of the King to ID4.  The actual killing & devastation in that film is relatively limited, so as long as you don't appear in the relatively short sequence where the aliens use their "city-destroying ray", then you're good.  If you appear in a city you can just clear out and stay in some country town until everything blows over.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 04:00:59 AM »

I would have expected Nightmare on Elm Street to be a more popular choice.  After all, unless you're a teenager, Freddy Kruger won't touch you.

-Autistic Angel
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:45 AM »

I would take RotK.  Probably a far higher survivability rate than the other choices (especially a horror flick), especially when you consider 'red-shirt-ism', which is what I call the tendency for background characters to be nothing more than fodder.  

A lot of background characters survived in RotK.  If you die, maybe you take a few orcs down with you, which has it's own appeal.  If you live, cool, you live in a world where the good guys run things, and there is always the outside chance to learn magic powers (a big selling point in my case).
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »

Jurrasic Park, hands down.

I'd love to see dinosaurs for real.....even though it might be a bit dangerous.

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 06:40:33 PM »

Well, since most of the movie takes place in a mall, safe from zombies, I would have to choose Dawn of the Dead.  I would prefer the older version with the slower moving zombies, but most of the new version has no zombie threat anyway.

A few days wandering around a mall doesn't sound so bad.  Plus, unlike other movies like saving private ryan, I wouldn't stand out too much.  The other folks would be too shellshocked to wonder where I came from.  That way, I would get to keep my magic ticket and escape before the gruesome finale.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 04:13:19 PM »

Tough chocie between ROTK and War of the Worlds, but i am a huge alien finatic.  Granted they want to kill me but thats cool, I'll just hang out with Cruise's X-wife.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »

I can't believe you created a topic based on "Last Action Hero". :: shudder ::

"Hey McBain! Your last movie sucked! Magic ticket, my ASS!!"
"Maria, my massif hart iz breakink. I'll be-out in za hum-vee"

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: