http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:34:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Cast Ever in a Movie  (Read 7772 times)
Jason Donati
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2004, 11:05:10 AM »

Traffic is my pick. It had an all round great cast, but I particularly enjoyed the performances by Don Cheadle, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michael Douglas, and (especially) Benicio Del Toro.

Also, Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire coems to mind. The movie itself wasn't all it could have been, imo, but at no fault of the actors.

Tom Cruise ....  Lestat de Lioncourt
Brad Pitt ....  Louis de Pointe du Lac
Kirsten Dunst ....  Claudia
Stephen Rea ....  Santiago
Antonio Banderas ....  Armand
Christian Slater ....  Daniel Malloy
[/url]

[size=10]Currently Playing: [/size]Soul Calibur II | Ninja Gaiden | Starcraft: Broodwar
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2004, 11:45:43 AM »

Gah! You henceforth lose any respect from me in regards to taste in movies.

Heh, so you are saying you didn't like it? smile The first time I watched it, which was in the movie theatre, I didn't care for it much. Especially it coming out right after Saving Private Ryan. I rented it and enjoyed it the second time around.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2004, 11:56:51 AM »

Quote from: "Louis Cypher"
What about The Player?

I mentioned it.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2004, 02:08:25 PM »

Quote from: "whispa"

Heh, so you are saying you didn't like it? smile The first time I watched it, which was in the movie theatre, I didn't care for it much. Especially it coming out right after Saving Private Ryan. I rented it and enjoyed it the second time around.

There are few movies I have genuinely wanted to walk out of, and this one is among them. I actually stood up to leave about 3/4 of the way through because I couldn't take it anymore, and Fireball pulled me back down saying, "If there's something cool at the end, then we'll miss it and have to watch it again!" Even though he was of the same opinion as me. Awful movie, and my review in the TCU newspaper that week ripped it asunder. What was even funnier was getting hate mail from some professors who felt it was a work of art and I just didn't appreciate all the subtlety and subtext.

I understood it just fine: War is bad, we should never go to war, nature is pretty, we should never destroy nature. Hell, I get as much from watching PBS and their documentaries are infinitely more interesting. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2004, 02:30:30 PM »

Honestly I'm the same way with this one.  In the theater I was expecting Saving Private Ryan in the pacific and was hugely disappointed, but watching it a few times at home... it's quite good.

Definitely not a movie for everyone though, but it had a lot of texture and was interesting.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
jaskerr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »

Dazed and Confused

Pretty much the whole cast nailed this one. Even Ben Affleck's character was well done, since all he had to do was be himself.

"That's what I like about high school chicks, I keep getting older, they stay the same age"
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2004, 04:24:27 AM »

I don't think I saw this mention...

The Outsiders. Christ I think everyone and there mom was in that friggen movie. Sure some of these guys don't do much now but almost half the cast was top notch talent at one point.

C. Thomas Howell    ....    Ponyboy Curtis
Matt Dillon   ....    Dallas 'Dally' Winston
Ralph Macchio   ....    Johnny Cade
Patrick Swayze   ....    Darrel 'Darry' Curtis
Rob Lowe   ....    Sodapop Curtis
Emilio Estevez   ....    Keith 'Two-Bit' Mathews
Tom Cruise   ....    Steve Randle

If you look at this list in the early 90's you would wonder how the hell they casted all these mofos in one movie.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2004, 05:39:21 AM »

Forgot to mention that Pixar kicks all kinds of ass in the casting department:

Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo

and I'll edit in a shout to Defending Your Life and Murder by Death

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2004, 05:35:11 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

There are few movies I have genuinely wanted to walk out of, and this one is among them. I actually stood up to leave about 3/4 of the way through because I couldn't take it anymore, and Fireball pulled me back down saying, "If there's something cool at the end, then we'll miss it and have to watch it again!" Even though he was of the same opinion as me. Awful movie, and my review in the TCU newspaper that week ripped it asunder. What was even funnier was getting hate mail from some professors who felt it was a work of art and I just didn't appreciate all the subtlety and subtext.

I understood it just fine: War is bad, we should never go to war, nature is pretty, we should never destroy nature. Hell, I get as much from watching PBS and their documentaries are infinitely more interesting. smile

So you're telling me the part of the movie from the time they first stepped foot on the island until the massacre at the Japanese camp did NOTHING for you?  I can understand the opening and closing being a bit off.  But that part of the movie was absolutely astonishing.  John Toll's cinematography was vastly superior to Janusz Kaminski's in SPR, making it a much better movie to look at and watch.  Plus, how could you not be captivated by, for example, John Cusak's attack on the bunker at the top of the hill?  Hell, the music's better, too, and that's saying something, considering John Williams wrote SPR.

Methinks you need to watch it again.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2004, 05:38:22 PM »

By the way, one of my choices, in addition to the already mentioned The Thin Red Line, is Heat.

Al Pacino
Robert De Niro
Val Kilmer
Jon Voight
Tom Sizemore
Diane Venora
Amy Brenneman
Ashley Judd
Mykelti Williamson
Wes Studi
Dennis Haysbert
William Fichtner
Natalie Portman

Hell, even Danny Trejo, Hank Azaria, and Jeremy Piven are in it.

Mike

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2004, 05:46:10 PM »

The three leads in 21 Grams were amazing.  I normally avoid Sean Penn but this movie is so damn good it is worth it IMHO.  

Benecio Deltoro (sp?)
Naomi Watts
Sean Pen

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Zork
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2004, 05:53:27 PM »

I was flipping through the channels the other night and landed on A Time To Kill.  While not one of the top all-star casts, it is still pretty impressive.  And this was in 1996, before some of these people became big stars.

Here's the cast list:

Matthew McConaughey
Sandra Bullock
Samuel L. Jackson
Kevin Spacey
Oliver Platt
Donald Sutherland
Kiefer Sutherland
Ashley Judd
Chris Cooper
Kurtwood Smith
Charles Dutton
Nicky Katt

-Zork
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2004, 06:14:21 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

So you're telling me the part of the movie from the time they first stepped foot on the island until the massacre at the Japanese camp did NOTHING for you?  I can understand the opening and closing being a bit off.  But that part of the movie was absolutely astonishing.  John Toll's cinematography was vastly superior to Janusz Kaminski's in SPR, making it a much better movie to look at and watch.  Plus, how could you not be captivated by, for example, John Cusak's attack on the bunker at the top of the hill?  Hell, the music's better, too, and that's saying something, considering John Williams wrote SPR.

Methinks you need to watch it again.

Mike

Methinks I'd rather punch myself in the face. smile This was a case of cameos spoiling a movie, as well as the movie generally sucking ass. I can get attached to characters if I see them for, you know, longer than 5 seconds at a time. I think it was Jared Leto who sticks his head up and you've got just enough time to say, "Hey that's Jared Leto!" before he gets said head blown off. Oh well. Sean Penn did a good acting job, but Jim Caviezel was just sleep walking. Nick Nolte must have taken the job strictly for the scenery as there was plenty for him to chew on. slywink That's not to say the few action scenes weren't well done, I've just seen them done better in other, better, movies.

Guns blaze, grass and trees sway in the breeze, three dozen Hollywood cameos, more grass and trees sway in the breeze, big action scene at the end, trees sway in the breeze, George Clooney shows up and pontificates. Boy, sign me up for that one again. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2004, 06:16:39 PM »

I don't think anyone could top the Addams Family cast.
Anjelica Huston   Morticia Addams
Raul Julia Gomez Addams
Christopher Lloyd Uncle Fester/Gordon Craven
Christina Ricci   Wednesday Addams
Judith Malina    Grandma
Carel Struycken   Lurch

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2004, 06:40:52 PM »

Part of the problem of The Thin Red Line is that Malick's original cut of the film came in at just under 6 hours  Some of the "cameo" roles turned out to be cameos because of the editing; some people, like Bill Pullman, Mickey Rourke, and Viggo Mortensen had their roles entirely cut from the final picture.  All of the narration, at one point, was done by Billy Bob Thornton before Malick scrapped the idea and went with character narration.  Adrien Brody's character was supposed to be one of the central characters according to the script; this obviously was changed to Caviezel's character.  Therefore, some of the actors you see pop up in cameos probably had much larger roles in the original cut, and Malick chose to eliminate them from the final picture.  This is one movie where a director's cut would probably make certain things make a lot more sense, but the chance of that happening is probably none.

And of course Caviezel was sleepwalking.  His character was sleepwalking through the whole film.  How else would you portray that?

Mike

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2004, 06:57:04 PM »

Um... by having some sense of motivation other than he was just in a fun? smile Hell, Keanu had more personality as Neo and that's saying a lot.

Elias Koteas had the only meaty role, I thought, and the flashes to his wife leaving him for someone ELSE in the military rang hollow, and did so very loudly.

If the original cut was ever restored and shown in a miniseries format, that I would check out. As it stand though, the flick wound up being The Long Red Bore instead. If I see a war movie, I want to see characters that I follow who can live and die in an instant. If it's a war movie about people who don't care and don't want to be there, then I'll watch M.A.S.H. as it struck me as not only a vastly superior movie, but also more relevant to anti-war sentiment.

Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2004, 09:53:26 PM »

Dangerous Liasons.  Not just a great cast, but great casting as well...

John Malkovich, Glenn Close - perfect in their roles.

Michelle Pfeiffer and Uma Thurman (early in her career) were great as innocents, as was Keanu Reeves.  Hell, even Swoosie Kurtz fit her role absolutely perfectly.

Also, I have no idea who the guy was that played Motzart in "Amadeus" but he was stellar.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2004, 10:31:48 PM »

Quote from: "Geezer"
Dangerous Liasons.  Not just a great cast, but great casting as well...

John Malkovich, Glenn Close - perfect in their roles.

Michelle Pfeiffer and Uma Thurman (early in her career) were great as innocents, as was Keanu Reeves.  Hell, even Swoosie Kurtz fit her role absolutely perfectly.

Also, I have no idea who the guy was that played Motzart in "Amadeus" but he was stellar.

Dangerous Liasons, that was one I was thinking about mentioning.  Very good historical piece.  Also says a lot about John Malkovich that a freaky looking dude like him could pull off a role as a womanizer. I mean, he's a great actor and all, but he is a little freaky looking. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2004, 11:06:40 PM »

Yes I think Bridge Too Far was pretty surefire with quantity of talent and quality of performance.  Others I second - Jeff toss a 2 on the end of that godfather and you get DiNero but lose Caan - Id just consider 1 - 2 halves of the same movie 'cause I dont want to go w/o either of those smile  Snatch I second very good movie.  Also, have to throw out Royal Tenanbalms (spelling?).  This is a bit of a love hate one with people but I couldnt get enough of it.  Also - Traffic.  This ones impressive for performance and camera work.  Great line up, fun thread
Andraax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2004, 02:51:37 AM »

As soon as I saw the topic, I thought "A Bridge Too Far". Since that's been covered, here would be my second place vote:

Murder on the Orient Express

Albert Finney
Lauren Bacall
Martin Balsam
Ingrid Bergman
Jacqueline Bisset
Jean-Pierre Cassel  
Sean Connery
John Gielgud  
Wendy Hiller
Anthony Perkins
Vanessa Redgrave  
Rachel Roberts  
Richard Widmark
Michael York
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2004, 02:41:24 PM »

Holy Crap, how has no one mentioned The Princess Bride?

Mandy *was* Inigo.  There is (was  frown  ) no one in the world who could have done Fezzik like Andre the giant.  Vizzini (I forget who did him) was classic.

As for the villians, Christopher guest *made* Count Rugen the perfect target of Inigos revenge.  That he went on to do Spinal Tap only makes me love him more.  The little roles like the senile old King, Miracle Max (billie crystal) and the awful priest were pure gold.

The wierdest thing is that if you read the book (written before the movie, and damn, *damn*  good) it is  astonishing how true the movie is to the book.  In looks and mannerisms the actors were so perfectly matched to their roles one gets the impression that once they were all signed on the movie must have directed itself.  Bloody Fantastic.
Lewpats
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »

How did people miss Mystic River that was a great movie.

"You regret the things you don't do more than the things you do"
dedewhale
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2004, 03:36:22 PM »

anything staring "Carrot Top" is the best cast movie
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: