http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 06:02:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 42 inch tv for the buck?  (Read 1240 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:49:40 AM »

I'm not looking *right now, but maybe in the next few months. Obviously gaming is important to me, so response time should be considered a high priority. Anyone care to share what they think the best one under 800 is? 3d would be nice, but...
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »

Best value deal is probably Vizio - e.g. (although this doesn't include player/glasses)
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E3D420VX-Class-Theater-Internet/dp/B004U5T2OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353253504&sr=8-1&keywords=42%22+3d+tv

But you can also get a decent 40" Samsung in that price range ($500-$600 or so for non-3d, more with it)
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:18 AM »

I see sales for 40" televisions for under $200 for Black Friday.

OFF ONWARDS INTO THE MOBS OF HELL WITH YOU!

slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:41:28 AM »

oddly enough....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:03:53 AM »

if you shop around, $800 or less should get you a very nice 42" 3-D TV   Depending on the type, plasma vs LCD vs LED, youll want to look at Panasonic, Samsung or LG   While its not the size youre looking for Walmart has a 60" Vizio for $688   ( found here on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS  )  on black friday. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2012, 03:41:28 AM

Yes. My timing is perfect!

LG seems to be a favored brand for sure around almost all circles. That, Sony and Samsung do seem to be the best route to take. I didn't plan on doing this so soon, but Black Friday deals are captivating!
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »

I've purchased two LG's in the last 5 years (32in & 42in) and have been happy with both.  Neither was 3D so I cant comment on that.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:50:22 PM »

So for gaming It should have a high refresh rate. 120 high enough? I've read tidbits here and there about ghosting, latency concerns ect. Any input on these things? This purchase might happen sooner than later...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:22:17 AM »

To update the situation, from my finding it seems 60 hz is fine. Can anyone comment on this? Ill be playing ps3, watching blurays, and generally just watching SD and some HD programming. I'm looking at Samsung, lg and a few sonys. Seems the lg and Samsung have a generally better reception. 42 or 46 is certainly big enough. The 32 inch trinitron has served me for over 8 years and it will be used in another room still. Here's perspective, that tv was 1800 brand new...maybe more even!

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=5192048&pid=1218623858022 this is the one Sony I've been eyeing. Pretty responsible price...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:13:32 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

I've had no problems heavy gaming on 60, so I'm sure 120 would be fine.

Just picked up a Vizio 42" 3d 120hz but it's in layaway for another couple weeks.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »

Headed out to see some in person! Samsung might be in lead at this point though.

Edit: Samsung- 40" Class - LED - 1080p - 120Hz - HDTV

I'm liking this one and for under 600...

Edit again: Any input on stands under 100? I saw some cheaply ones at Wally World and they probably would do the trick, but I would love input on inexpensive stands for a 42 inch. My current tv, which is a behemoth of a CRT has its own "stand". Which will be needed, obviously for it in the other room. Plus, if you take the tv off of it, well it's ugly. It's made specifically for this tv...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:12:26 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 27, 2012, 08:27:22 PM

Headed out to see some in person! Samsung might be in lead at this point though.

Edit: Samsung- 40" Class - LED - 1080p - 120Hz - HDTV

I'm liking this one and for under 600...

I got the 60Hz version for my pharmacy school apartment for $400 (plus saved $200 in gift cards so only paid $200 out of pocket) and have been fairly pleased, at least in terms of gaming.  It's bright, clear, and perfect for my small bedroom.  The refresh rate stumbles a bit during sporting events and fast-moving scenes on TV, but so far it runs beautifully for gaming, and in terms of being in a college "dorm" of sorts for grad students, it's pretty legit.  I still miss my 60" Sony at home with complete surround sound, but I believe a pair of Turte Beach headphones might find their way under the Christmas tree this year, providing a little more gaming immersion (whenever I have time) once I return to campus in the spring.

Edit again: Any input on stands under 100? I saw some cheaply ones at Wally World and they probably would do the trick, but I would love input on inexpensive stands for a 42 inch. My current tv, which is a behemoth of a CRT has its own "stand". Which will be needed, obviously for it in the other room. Plus, if you take the tv off of it, well it's ugly. It's made specifically for this tv...

Have you looked at Ikea?  They've come a LONG way in terms of variety, selection, as well as quality, offering a range from the usual particle board to standard wood to more modern plastic and glass and an entire variety in between.  Plus you have a lot of options to mix-and-match, allowing you to customize exactly what you're looking for (glass doors, wood doors, sliding panels, colors, etc).  I wound up having to go to a specialty audio/video store for my stand at home due to the height of the 400-disc DVD changers I have, but for school I picked up an inexpensive "throwaway" stand from Ikea for $20, and while shopping I was surprised at how far their TV stand selection had come.  In all honesty I'd start there as you'll likely find what you're looking for and at a fraction of what you might pay at a specialty shop.  Here's a link and it looks like there's a handful under $100 with a few nice options right around that price point.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:22:06 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »

forgot to put the price of the one I'm getting.  $529 for the 42" 120 hz 3d Vizio
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:27:38 PM »

Thx guys. Ikea is a great start, that I wasn't even thinking of!

Yea, to bring you up to speed. I actually found that tv on sale for 400... So this might be an easy decision. I'm going to look at some now actually.

Edit: purchased the Samsung 40" 1080p 60hz for $400. Can't wait to set it up tomorrow! Just a temp set up, Im getting new carpet plus interior painting done.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:26:40 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 06:30:32 AM »

So far loving it. The image being deplayed is phenominal. For the first time in ages, I'm really torn on what to play. I wanna see it all!:) so as the revised title implies, I will be adding a sound bar at some point. Plenty of volume out of this thing, just no bass. The CRT definatly spoiled me in that regard. It is sufficient, suprisingly so. It won't be for a bit, as I'm waiting to hear about some jobs. And the wife would literally kill me...but sooner than later I was considering one.

Worth it?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »

If space is an issue sound bars from what I understand are good. But they will never replace a good 5.1 sound system with a dedicated sub.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 08:19:37 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on November 30, 2012, 02:52:43 PM

If space is an issue sound bars from what I understand are good. But they will never replace a good 5.1 sound system with a dedicated sub.

I learned this.

This story changed drastically since I've posted...

Long, long, long story cut short: Im knowledged in alot. But obviously not everything. So as I was researching a new tv I looked at ALOT of reviews, impressions, technology and what I thought was everything I needed to. Well, after Hookong up the new tv I realized that the speakers suck. I knew they would just not that bad. So I researched a sound bar. I found out this tv has NO audio out. ZERO. NOTHING. I didn't know this was possible in 2012...Three seperate people at bestbuy said it would work with a soundbar/ surround sound etc.My stupidity for over seeing this important factor, or the lack of..

So, I talk with the same guy in the phone the next day. He says, I would be able to run a receiver like a hdmi hub and if I didn't want exchange the tv I could go that route. Better long term etc. So after getting a deal on a Yamaha 5.1 receiver And some nice Bose speakers. I came home set everything up and no audio. Ps3 yes, tv no. Well, he forgot to realize that since I don't have a cable box, it still WON'T work! No audio out, no tv audio!

So, after that I was a bit pissed. Once more at myself, but I asked these questions numerous times and they just said" yep, sure thing. That will work!", so also at them. I called the BB "hotline" and ended up getting a $100 gift card. Then apon returning the tv today, I upgraded to the next model up and newer, slimmer, more robust features etc. for almost nothing. Thy also through in audio out cable and seemed to really feel bad, which was suprising.

So, now, after that huge headache and bouts of rage, THIS IS AWESOME!

Even my wife is liking it more than expected. She finding things to watch on Netflix like mad!

I will own next gen consoles with this setup. Just running 2 speaker for now. Can't wait ad center, sub and rears!

Once more, awesome!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:48:32 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »

So after all of that everything works fine and is really nice, until...

I realize the tv speakers are blown!!! By some wierd chance I set this tv up to use the tv speakers again to show my wife how much of a difference the receiver plus speakers made and bam! Fucked up tv speakers. I know I don't plan on using them, but even she agreed with me. A tv we've had for under 24 hrs has a problem, um we NEED exchange it. So after researching this issue online, I found a few people with the same issue, then I ran around a few other big issues people are experiencing. But like everything on the Internet, no one bitchs online if they don't have problem and everyone I spoke with still said they make a reliable tv.

I'm headed out to exchange this AGAIN, at this point I think I'm going to just do a even swap. I considered switching to a different brand, but then I considered what I mentioned above. So, try again!

Edit: I had another bad Sammy... Blotchy blacks galore...so long story short, I am now the owner of a 47 lg that is gorgeous and, knock on wood, performance is awesome!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:48:00 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »

Yeah 3 duds... icon_cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: