http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:19:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bernie Madoff has the piss beaten out of him  (Read 1263 times)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:29 PM »

I couldn't stop grinning when I read this.  There are few more deserving people of a severe ass-whooping than him.

Consumerist
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »

The incident happened in December but was only confirmed today, because the prison and Bernie Madoff are liars.
icon_confused

Reading about a "homosexual posse" and other prison gangs only confirms my notion that the U.S. prison system needs some serious reform. People should not become more violent after going to prison. As for Madoff, I don't consider being assaulted in prison as some kind of appropriate additional punishment.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 19, 2010, 09:02:29 PM

I couldn't stop grinning when I read this.  There are few more deserving people of a severe ass-whooping than him.

Consumerist

Really?  I can think of a lot of people.  Rapist, murders, drug dealers, pedophiles, wife beaters, that jerk who uses a check in the checkout isle.  I could go on. 

Madoff was a colossal a-hole but he is just one of many in a list who needs a beating.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 19, 2010, 09:19:46 PM

The incident happened in December but was only confirmed today, because the prison and Bernie Madoff are liars.
icon_confused

Reading about a "homosexual posse" and other prison gangs only confirms my notion that the U.S. prison system needs some serious reform. People should not become more violent after going to prison. As for Madoff, I don't consider being assaulted in prison as some kind of appropriate additional punishment.

Not me. I think the 'homosexual posse' should be given a badge for inflicting appropriate punishment. Prison should be hell. Keep it that way.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »

Just had a very tiresome argument about this.  Engage again?  Meh. 

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on March 19, 2010, 09:24:02 PM

Quote from: rickfc on March 19, 2010, 09:02:29 PM

Consumerist

Really?  I can think of a lot of people.  Rapist, murders, drug dealers, pedophiles, wife beaters, that jerk who uses a check in the checkout isle.  I could go on. 

Madoff was a colossal a-hole but he is just one of many in a list who needs a beating.

Farley, IMO, most of the people you listed deserve much more than just a severe beating like the one Madoff got.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »

Is there a chart someplace?

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »

I don't know, but I'm sure it ends with "Hitler."
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »

icon_confused

Tell that to the people who lost everything they owned because of him and are living in a one room apartment and eating ramen noodles in their retirement.  The only appropriate punishment for him is to never get out of prison.  The only good thing he did was wake some people up to other con artists just like him so maybe they don't get ripped off as bad.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »

Quote from: ericb on March 19, 2010, 09:43:59 PM

icon_confused

Tell that to the people who lost everything they owned because of him and are living in a one room apartment and eating ramen noodles in their retirement.  The only appropriate punishment for him is to never get out of prison.  The only good thing he did was wake some people up to other con artists just like him so maybe they don't get ripped off as bad.

Isn't never getting out of prison the punishment he's been given?

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on March 19, 2010, 09:46:15 PM

icon_confused

More or less. From WIKI:

'On June 29, 2009, he was sentenced to 150 years in prison, the maximum allowed.'
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 10:05:30 PM »

Bah.  I usually stay out of threads like these, but I want to say this anyway:

Prison is punishment.  It really is.  Thinking that it's OK that a custodial sentence comes with a "bonus" side order of rape and beatings is fucking barbaric.  I can't believe how many people think this way in the 21st century, it really saddens me.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:46 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the beaters got a little outside incentive to do this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »

The problem is how do you reform the prison system without a LOT of money? Probably a topic for R&P. That said, and as despicable as Madoff is, I hope this isn't a regular occurrence for the bastard.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 19, 2010, 10:05:30 PM

Thinking that it's OK that a custodial sentence comes with a "bonus" side order of rape and beatings is fucking barbaric.  I can't believe how many people think this way in the 21st century, it really saddens me.

Agreed - anyone who thinks beatings are permissible "bonuses" should lobby their legislature to pass laws/amendments that allow it.  Until then, let's stick with the punishment as described by the law.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 10:21:52 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on March 19, 2010, 09:46:15 PM

icon_confused

Well, that and a beating apparently.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:56:52 PM »

Things like this fill our own need for excessive punishment, like the fact that Madoff has 150 years in prison.  I mean, really, 30 years wasn't enough for a 70-year-old man?  It's understandable WHY people are like "Yeah!  He got beaten up!"  That doesn't mean it's right.

As a society, we have to ask "What's the point of our prison system?"  Is it rehabilitation?  Then this stuff is wrong.  If the point is just segregating the bad parts of our society from the rest of us, great.  If the point is punishment, mission accomplished.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 11:31:58 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 19, 2010, 10:21:32 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 19, 2010, 10:05:30 PM

Thinking that it's OK that a custodial sentence comes with a "bonus" side order of rape and beatings is fucking barbaric.  I can't believe how many people think this way in the 21st century, it really saddens me.

Agreed - anyone who thinks beatings are permissible "bonuses" should lobby their legislature to pass laws/amendments that allow it.  Until then, let's stick with the punishment as described by the law.

I suppose the concept of prison rehabilitation is just a joke now, if not forgotten completely. We'd damned well better lock them up forever because all the prison experience can do is harden criminals and sharpen their skills.

They shouldn't be vacation resorts, but they shouldn't be chambers of horrors either. Somebody you know will end up there sooner or later.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »

On a federal level i believe rehabilitation as a goal of incarceration was eliminated back in the Reagan era when they did all the reforms on federal sentencing
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 02:21:36 AM »

There are nearly 2.5 million Americans in prison or jail. Draw your own conclusions about how many really belong there and how they should be treated. I think tossing them to rape gangs is a little much.

(I didn't mean to imply that Madoff is a candidate for rehabilitation, btw, but neither do I think giving an old man a good thrashing serves any purpose).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 03:30:01 AM »

The incarceration statistics of the United States are stunning.  We have more prisoners than all of Europe combined and i believe that includes Russia.  Over half our prisoners are there for non-violent crimes.

Building and staffing prisons is now very big business with a very big lobby.  If the prison lobby has their way they would be building debtors prisons
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 03:45:21 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on March 20, 2010, 03:30:01 AM

Over half our prisoners are there for non-violent crimes.

Madoff is in for a non-violent crime. Change the laws and the pressure on the prisons will ease.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 04:44:48 AM »

Dear lord, not another thread like this.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »

Too ease to to turn thumbs down and yell, "STONE HIM".
He deserves his prison sentence not to be brutalised by men half his age who spend all their time pumping iron just to beat their chest harder than the next con.

And those who think being sodomized by half-crazed men is "fitting" punishment for his crime, have some serious issues with what  justice is.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 20, 2010, 10:19:14 AM

Too ease to to turn thumbs down and yell, "STONE HIM".
He deserves his prison sentence not to be brutalised by men half his age who spend all their time pumping iron just to beat their chest harder than the next con.

And those who think being sodomized by half-crazed men is "fitting" punishment for his crime, have some serious issues with what  justice is.

No, you are right.  Rape is never acceptable...and he doesn't come close to deserving that.  But if he gets beat up while picking a fight with someone who could beat the hell out of him (which some reports allude to) then he needs to remember he is in prison and a LOT of people are very unhappy with him.  It's a sad fact but when the prisons are overflowing and you have one guard for 200 prisoners then things like this happen.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »

The problems are just beginning for Madoff.  They guy who beat him up is probably going to recruit two friends to beat him up again.  And then those two guys will recruit two more friends each, and then . . . .

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on March 21, 2010, 09:13:43 PM

The problems are just beginning for Madoff.  They guy who beat him up is probably going to recruit two friends to beat him up again.  And then those two guys will recruit two more friends each, and then . . . .

icon_lol
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 05:41:14 PM »

According to the article, he gave investment advice to the guy who beat him up. So, first of all, unless he didn't know who he was (which is not very plausible), why on earth would this guy go to Madoff for investment advice and secondly, shouldn't the court have given him some warning about doing anything related to investing? Just talking about it should earn him a trip to the hole or something.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: