http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 10:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beer Exchange?  (Read 259 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:22:02 PM »

mods im not sure how this topic will fly so do feel free to lock and / or delete this thread if its not something you want the site promoting / conducting

but i was curious if there would be a group of people here willing to do beer exchanges?  i know there are several major beer sites who do trades, but im not a forum member and frankly those sites are pretty enormous for what i had in mind.  im from new england, and there are regional brews i just cant get my hands on.  im not talking about the super elite, limited release stuff where if you have a bottle you hide in your cellar with it, chanting "my precious" - i mean just your every day craft four or six packs.  would anyone out there be willing to start swapping?  is there an interest in this kind of thing (assuming its a-okay with ron, mods and others here).  thoughts?

i also know we have some homebrewers, and while i dont its always something ive considered and if i ever did would want to swap those too.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:24:18 PM by Doopri » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »

I think this could be a tricky situation, when there's a possibility that you could be shipping alcohol unknowingly to minors.  I'd hate to put Ron in a situation that could shut down his site and/or face lawsuits/charges.

Also is there a law stating you can't ship alcohol across states?

Eitherway, I think this needs to be Ron's decision.  If approved, this should be set up in the Trading forum.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

my idea would be that it would be to trade not buy so that would hopefully filter out minors - and yes it IS illegal to do this via the postal service - ups and fedex it is against terms of service but it is done.  want me delete the thread for now?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »

no need to delete.  Not trying to shut your idea down, just listing any issues that may arise.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »

UPS has a registration component for shipping wine. I didn't see anything beer specific, but I imagine they'd want the same, and I didn't see any business/personal distinction.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »

The USPS Click n Ship website has a check box for "Adult signature required." I don't know if that makes it legal to ship alcohol, though. It probably varies from state to state.

Not something I'd want to join in anyway. I'd think the beer would suffer from being shipped via air and without refrigeration (or at least temperature control).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »

UPS (PDF)

Packages containing alcoholic beverages (wine, beer, or spirits) are accepted for transportation only as a contractual service and only from shippers who are licensed and authorized under applicable laws to ship alcoholic beverages. To receive service for packages containing alcoholic beverages, the shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of wine, beer, or spirits, as applicable.

USPS

Donít send alcohol. ... Alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, or liquor) are not considered hazardous but canít go in the mail. If youíre reusing a box displaying their alcohol brands, all logos and labels need to be covered up.

Fed Ex

Only licensed entities may ship alcohol of any type with FedEx. For more information, go to fedex.com/us/wine. Consumers may not ship alcohol.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »

I have never done it but I imagine you'd have to pack the bottles really really really good.  they aren't gentle on packages.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »

I have a guy that'll do it. If it happens I want in...we have a pretty good beer culture here in the Tampa area, so somebody will be receiving some fine local beer
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 02:55:25 AM »

I encourage you guys - if you have local microbreweries, brewers clubs, or beer events, hang out there, and take the time to actually talk to the guys at the beer distributor/liquor store/beer cave. You'd be surprised what you can get your hands on when you ask. Yeah, there's always going to be stuff you just can't get, but a little persistence goes a long way in getting a bottle or three of something special.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: