http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 07:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedroom furniture?  (Read 383 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2009, 02:51:12 AM »

So, I'm moving out finally, and I need to buy a completely new bedroom set for the small bedroom I'm renting in a house.  This will be the first time buying any furniture beyond tables, so I'll need help.  About the only thing I'll be bringing is likely my small table for my computer.  My current bed is too large for the small room, so I'll have to buy a smaller single.  I have a lot of books I use for art reference so I'll need shelving too, thankfully there's backets in the room for corner and wall shelves.  Basically a small bachelor room furniture, but also something I can easily cart in and out as I move.  I'm considering a Loft Bed to get the extra space under the bed.

I'll do the usual online searches of course, but I'd love to have more personal recommendations and suggestions for what to get and where to buy furniture.  I can go the usual IKEA route, but other recommendations on affordable furniture would be nice, along with which items I should get more costly, but more durable and reusable pieces since IKEA stuff isn't made to last.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:55:45 AM »

A futon may fit your requirements.  you can fold it up to take less space when you're not sleeping.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »

A futon is useful, but not terribly comfortable over a long period.  

Frankly, for your first place, especially if it's obviously transitional, I'd go for the cheap stuff.  Craigslist is your best friend.  Ikea is good, and since you'll probably be replacing all of it in a few years anyway when you get a more permanent place, who cares how long it'll last.  But really, used stuff off Craigslist or other such sites is the best deal you'll get.

Except for a mattress.  You do not want a used mattress.  Or even a used futon pad.  Basically, there's all kinds of things that could be living in either of those.  You don't want to find out that your new bedding came with a bonus case of lice or worse, and you definitely don't want to turn on a black light and play the "is that semen, urine, or blood?" game.  Get a mattress new, everything else used.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:35:05 AM by Chaz » Logged

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 17, 2009, 05:33:17 AM

Except for a mattress.  You do not want a used mattress.  Or even a used futon pad.  Basically, there's all kinds of things that could be living in either of those.  You don't want to find out that your new bedding came with a bonus case of lice or worse, and you definitely don't want to turn on a black light and play the "is that semen, urine, or blood?" game.  Get a mattress new, everything else used.
Yep.  Our University housing office says in some cases they have tracked bed bug infestations based on movement of sofas and mattresses across campus.  You do not want bed bugs.  They are very nasty and hard to get rid off, and used mattresses and sofas are a primary source.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »

my rule of thumb on used furntiure is I'll only get it if there's no fabric involved.  oh, and no used refrigerators after our lovely landlord in Baltimore cheaped out, put one in our place  and we found out that a certain breed of cockroaches love nesting in the motor area of the things <insert shudder smilie here>.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:54:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 17, 2009, 02:51:12 AM

....but more durable and reusable pieces since IKEA stuff isn't made to last.

Actually, the current IKEA lines are much more durable, aesthetically pleasing, sturdy, and stylish than years past.  You also get SO much variety in terms of your options.  When we had our fish tank debacle we replaced all of our furniture outside of the TV, TV stand, and couch with IKEA furnishings.  We purchased new dining room chairs, new bar stools, a new dining room table, new lighting and bookshelves for our entertainment center, a new bathroom cabinet and sink, and an entire new kitchen.  When people walk in they are shocked at the transformation, and few believe our furniture is from IKEA.  Everything is built sturdier than past furniture, the chairs are wonderfully comfortable, the dining room table is a mixture of solid wood and particleboard and is very sturdy, it has two sections that pull out to accomodate more guests, and while everything looks and works great, in the future if we decide to replace our furniture with new items it won't be a very costly sacrifice.

Also, keep in mind that our past furniture was from IKEA as well, and it all sold on Craigslist for decent amounts.  Everything we purchased seven or eight years ago, which also made a trip across the country, held up well enough to use in Arizona and even resell on Craigslist.  IKEA has a reputation for cheap furniture, but in actuality if you purchase the right items they're inexpensive but you get better than expected longevity.

You can find some great stuff on Craigslist, but if you have trouble finding exactly what you're looking for, as far as I'm concerned IKEA is a wonderful place to buy great, stylish, inexpensive furniture, decor, kitchen items, etc.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: