http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:02:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BCS (College Football)  (Read 941 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »

What a season.  Both Missou and West Virginia lost last night, leaving Bob's Culinary and Beauty School in position to claim a spot in New Orleans.  Ohio State seems like a lock at 11-1 and #3 in the country.  The other opponent remains to be seen.

Will it be a matchup of the two 1 loss teams (Kansas, Ohio State)?  (Nope)

Will some big-name 2-loss team buy/lobby its way into the game, hereby confirming that the BCS matchup and crowning of a "National Champion" is all about money and is truly a joke?  (Yep)

Will they deny Hawaii, the last undefeated team in the country at 12-0 a spot over any of the 2-loss teams (LSU, Georgia).  (Yep)

Tell me this doesn't scream for a playoff...

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:53:31 PM »

Looks like it's going to be Ohio State against LSU.

Even though I am a big Buckeye fan I think the 2 best teams are probably USC and LSU.  Although losing at home to Stanford will keep USC out.

A chance for redemption for Ohio State against another SEC team.  I have a feeling the Buckeyes will be ready this year.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »

Yeah it's a total clusterfuck.  Regardless of who plays in the NC game, there will not be an undisputed champion this year.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, spells BCS failure.

gellar
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 05:32:46 AM »

I can't figure out how Ohio State deserves to be there.  Who'd they beat?

Youngstown State?  Aren't they D-II?
4-8 Akron? 
4-9 Washington?
6-6 Northwestern?
1-11 Minnesota?
7-5 Purdue?
3-9 Kent State?
7-5 Michigan State?
8-4 Penn State?
9-3 Wisconsin?
8-4 Michigan?

Seriously...that's not a good schedule.  Want a startling fact?  The best team they can claim to have beaten is #18 Wisconsin and that's the only top THIRTY team they've beaten.  The teams they beat were a combined 57-64 and there's not a one of those teams who beat a decent out-of-conference squad.  Pathetic.

LSU beat some seriously good squads - best schedule in the nation.  But why do they deserve to go when Kansas (1 loss) and Hawaii (0 losses) don't? 

It's a lousy game from a lousy system...frankly, I think anyone in the top 10 can claim "National Champion" and hang a banner for this year.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »

OSU vs LSU!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!  finger

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:33:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 03, 2007, 05:32:46 AM

4-8 Akron? 
4-9 Washington?
6-6 Northwestern?
1-11 Minnesota?
7-5 Purdue?
3-9 Kent State?
7-5 Michigan State?
8-4 Penn State?
9-3 Wisconsin?
8-4 Michigan?

Seriously...that's not a good schedule.  Want a startling fact?  The best team they can claim to have beaten is #18 Wisconsin and that's the only top THIRTY team they've beaten.  The teams they beat were a combined 57-64 and there's not a one of those teams who beat a decent out-of-conference squad.  Pathetic.

LSU beat some seriously good squads - best schedule in the nation.  But why do they deserve to go when Kansas (1 loss) and Hawaii (0 losses) don't? 

It's a lousy game from a lousy system...frankly, I think anyone in the top 10 can claim "National Champion" and hang a banner for this year.

You rip OSU's schedule but then make a case for Kansas and Hawaii ???

My problem with LSU is thay had 2 shots at being number 1 and lost both of them.  The second time to an unranked team at home in the last week of the regular season. 

I agree that all of the teams have flaws but here's the thing about Ohio State.

In the last 3 years they are 35-4 with three of those losses to Texas (National Champion), Florida (National Champion), and Penn State (Finished 3rd in the nation).  Also people argue for USC but they only beat 2 teams with winning records all year.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 03, 2007, 01:33:23 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on December 03, 2007, 05:32:46 AM

4-8 Akron? 
4-9 Washington?
6-6 Northwestern?
1-11 Minnesota?
7-5 Purdue?
3-9 Kent State?
7-5 Michigan State?
8-4 Penn State?
9-3 Wisconsin?
8-4 Michigan?

You rip OSU's schedule but then make a case for Kansas and Hawaii ???

My problem with LSU is thay had 2 shots at being number 1 and lost both of them.  The second time to an unranked team at home in the last week of the regular season. 

I agree that all of the teams have flaws but here's the thing about Ohio State.

In the last 3 years they are 35-4 with three of those losses to Texas (National Champion), Florida (National Champion), and Penn State (Finished 3rd in the nation).  Also people argue for USC but they only beat 2 teams with winning records all year.

Well, the last 3 years don't mean anything as this year is the only thing.  And note the case for Kansas / Hawaii is against LSU, a two loss team, not Ohio State.  But let's face it..Ohio State's schedule is pretty lousy.

VT probably has the right to be PO'ed.  Yes, they got CRUSHED by LSU early in the year.  But they've won 5 straight and played the 4th hardest schedule with two losses, yet LSU leapfrogged them in the polls.  Georgia should be pissed too.  They finished with two losses, had the 26th hardest schedule in the nation, won 6 straight and get leapfrogged.   

Again, I think anyone in the top 12 can claim they were the "true" National Champion this year and hang a banner.  If there was ever a year we need a playoff, this is it.  Frankly, I would love it if Hawaii wins their bowl game and then claims they are the true National Champs.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

Georgia is in a tough spot. 

If they crush Hawaii as they should, then people will say that's what they should have done.

If they don't show up mentally and lose to Hawaii, then they will get laughed at for losing to a WAC team. 

No win situation.

javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 05:19:55 PM »

There is a provision for the smaller conferences, like where Hawaii resides, that if they have such a great season they are going to get a big $ bowl. And that is what this is all about. OH St #1? They haven't played in 6 weeks, wth is that? Just like the electoral process they have a lot of people that are willing and financially able to go see their team pretty much anywhere.

LSU beat a few nobodies by the proverbial skin of their teeth. They have a decent team and won when it counted, but they are not the power house their record indicates.

Oklahoma dominated one of the worst conferences in history; big whoop. Very odd for all those years where if it wasn't corn-fed it wasn't a football player, but perhaps the kids are getting smarter and getting away from home to play ball elsewhere. Don't think they're worthy of the #3

Ariz State SHOULD have been handed the Fiesta bowl, against Oklahoma just like the old days, but the market shows that we do better with more torusim dollars having two outsider teams. No brainiac requisite on that one, but it sucks for ASU. Meanwhile they get another Holiday bowl is san diego (not even in Hawaii anymore??) and Texas is in for it.

USC lost to Stanford and should not be ranked again until 2010.

It's all about the money and business is good. Still, your books are $300 per!

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »

Quote from: javahead on December 03, 2007, 05:19:55 PM

There is a provision for the smaller conferences, like where Hawaii resides, that if they have such a great season they are going to get a big $ bowl. And that is what this is all about. OH St #1? They haven't played in 3 weeks, wth is that? Just like the electoral process they have a lot of people that are willing and financially able to go see their team pretty much anywhere.

FTFY.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 06:34:12 PM »

Quote from: javahead on December 03, 2007, 05:19:55 PM

Oklahoma dominated one of the worst conferences in history; big whoop. Very odd for all those years where if it wasn't corn-fed it wasn't a football player, but perhaps the kids are getting smarter and getting away from home to play ball elsewhere. Don't think they're worthy of the #3

Worst conference in history? There's no way in hell you can say that when they've got 3 teams in the top 8. The only conference that's even close is the SEc with 2. LSU did not "win when it counted". They lost 2 games when they were ranked #1. Oklahoma beat the holy hell out of the final #1 team twice.

Argue all you want about the conferences, but the Big 12 is far from the worst conference in history. I'd take the Big 12 top to bottom over ANY conference with the lone exception being maybe the SEC. The PAC 10 fell apart at the end of the year, and the only Big 10 team worth a shit is Ohio State.

Oklahoma has just as much right to be in the championship game as LSU. But, so does Virginia Tech. I know they aren't supposed to mean anything, but I feel that if you play and win a conference championship game like VT, LSU, and OU, then you should very definatley get the nod over a school that doesn't play a championship game like USC or Ohio State.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »

Thought of you guys when I saw this.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:08:57 PM by Graham » Logged

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »

LSU is going to crush them.

The bowls and the BCS are retarded.  Why no playoff?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »

Quote from: olaf on December 04, 2007, 07:46:33 PM

The bowls and the BCS are retarded.  Why no playoff?

Spoiler for Hiden:
$$$

It's interesting that LSU is only a 4 1/2 favorite.  Given that LSU is basically playing a home game I thought it would be more.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: