http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:02:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 3668 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:35:02 AM »

OK, since no one else has brought up this series yet, I think that I will.

Right now good sci-fi TV has been in short supply.  Andromeda has been going downhill, and now this recent "reboot" of the series has been odd.  Enterprise has seen a turn for the better, but it seems like this season may be it's last.  It seems like the Sci-Fi channel might be the ones to actually bring decent Sci-Fi TV back.

Sci-Fi is known for cancelling excellent TV shows for no reason (e.g. Farscape and The Invisible Man).  Now it has brought back Battlestar Galactica, hopefully for the better.  So far the series has bone on in the right direction.  Granted, some of the acting does seem a bit stiff and stale, they character building is there.  The new "reimagining" of the Cylons does make things more interesting.  I think that things are looking alright for this series.  Will have to wait and see what happens.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 10:13:51 AM »

Yep, I agree.  Right now Battlestar Galactica is my favorite Sci Fi channel show.  Stargate SG1 used to be, after Farscape got canned, but that show hasn't been the same without O'Neil in the field with them.

Enterprise is finally doing what they should have done all along, concentrating on the "history" of the star trek universe.  What bunch of dumbasses figured that setting the show in the past of a popular TV series meant that they could make up all sorts of new stuff?  

When I first heard about it, I assumed they would be covering things like vulcans and andorians and klingons and whatnot.  Not fighting time wars and trying to save the earth from aliens we never heard of in the "future" shows.

Well, at least they are doing Enterprise correctly now.  Probably too late, but those of us still watching are finally getting the show that should have been from the start.

I like the way the new Battlestar Galactica feels.  It really feels like they are struggling for their lives, and not having a blast doing it.  The original series was a bit too light hearted to be about the last few survivors of a holocaust.

I'd kinda like to see what the makers of the new BG would do with V...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 02:41:33 PM »

I'm really enjoying the new version of BSG, and I hope it has a nice long run.  I do have some minor issues with a few of the characters (I'm still not wild about the new Starbuck, as a character or an actress), but I'll gladly overlook them.

I also really like the FX, which doesn't surprise me since I loved the FX in Firefly as well (they're done by the same company).
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »

Yeah, I rather like the new show.  Also, as far as writing style, and imagination go, I think the second episode "33" was absolutely brilliant.  I really get the feeling that Larson has been thinking up ideas for episodes since the original was canceled and has finally got his chance to show them off.  I also really, really dig the realistic feel to everything.  From the fact that they are constantly worried about simply surviving and getting water, to the quieter than normal space battles, to the way the ship is run, it all has an authentic military feel to it.

As far as characters... I really like what they did with Colonel Tigh.  Gave him a lot more depth and he's one of the more interesting characters.  Adama is well done, not as good as the old Adama to me, but in his defense it's hard to follow in the shoes of Lorne Greene.  I feel the same about Starbuck.  I don't mind the fact that Starbuck is a woman so much as I really don't like the girl they have playing Starbuck... she just doesn't seem to be able to play the role well at all.  I like the addition of the President.  I think that was one aspect the original show never got enough time to flesh out well... the fleet and it's people.  They had some good episodes about it, but not nearly enough I think.

Overall I've been pretty impressed.  Now if only we can have a new version of "The Gun On Ice Planet Zero" I'll be a happy camper. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »

I went back and watched the original (which I hadn't seen since I was a kid).  *shudder*

The new show is so much better it's scary.  I think the original was bad even for its time.  WTF was with the kid and the robot dog.  Ugh.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 04:35:04 PM »

I watched some episodes of Galactica 1980 SciFi was showing as the lead up to the new series.  *double shudder*  I checked on the net and found a history that explained what the hell happened.

The network cancelled the show after the first season, realized it actually did have good ratings and tried to bring it back on the cheap in a family oriented time slot which limited any violence and required educational moments every 15 minutes.  Larson was just trying to tred water till he could get a better time slot and get the real show back on track when the plug was pulled for good.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 05:11:43 PM »

I think calling the original bad is a bit harsh.  It was a groundbreaking Sci Fi series, but the producers were forced by the network to make more and more concessions just to get the show on the air.  Things like budget constraints, the campy light hearted story, etc.  Most of it's failings IMHO are due to the era the show was made in, not the show itself.

s

Edit: Let me add that my defense is of the original series... BG 1980 was terrible. smile

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 05:32:19 PM »

The new BG is fantastic.  Great 3 dimensional characters, wonderful story arc, tension you can cut with a knife, political intrigue.  It's just a class act all the way around.

In comparison, I was watching an episode of battlestar galactica 1980 on sci fi channel late one night.  A cylon was invited to a halloween party because everyone thought he was wearing a costume.  When the host tried to microwave some popcorn or something, the cylon fell to the floor incapicated.  

...cylons can create an extensive AI network, conquer space, almost wipe out humanity...yet can't remember to build in shielding from kitchen appliances?

god i loved that...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 06:29:44 PM »

In fairness to Battlestar Galactica 1980, there was one good episode.  The episode title escapes me, but it dealt with Starbuck's ultimate fate.  
   Other than that...Motorcycles that could fly?  Didn't any Battlestar Galactica denizens worry that humans might see motorcycles flying, thereby revealing them to everybody?  *sigh*
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 06:37:18 PM »

I am looking forward to the episode where the female Cylon pilot reveals to her crewmate that she is really a Cylon.  That should be interesting.

A agree about the Starbuck actress.  She just doesn't fit the role well.  The actor playing Apollo needs to take some acting lessons too.

The special effects have been very well done.  The shot of the water spraying out of the Galactica was spectacular, and the story line was interesting.  I'm looking forward to more.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 06:49:55 PM »

I actually think the actor portraying Apollo is doing a pretty good job.  He's got the "stiffness" of being raised in a long line of military folk, yet has little hints of emotion every now and then.  

The actress who plays starbuck didn't sit right with me when I saw the mini-series, but she's starting to grow on me.  I think once they stopped the constant shots of her chomping on a cigar and swaggering, she became less of a parody of the original character and started becoming something more than a "oh look, a female version of a misogynist from the original series" in joke.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 07:15:52 PM »

Boomer is hot.

LD  :wink:

(yes, that is my very superficial contribution to this thread, but it had to be said.)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »

Not only is she het, I'm just glad to see an Asian on one of these shows.

One that's not a token character.  slywink
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 10:18:35 PM »

Favoite charater.. Boomer- yeah she's hot but damn, I can't tell if she is human, cylon, doesn't know she is cylon, one of them IS human and the other is cylon.. ugh.

Boxey.. (sp?)  the kid-- omg

Col Tighe:  Where's your mother?

Boxey:  Dead, where's yours?

Oh, just great!!
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 12:02:16 AM »

Starbuck was the best character by far in the original series. I'm very disappointed that they nerfed the character...

I loved the original Cylons (although they could've made them less clunky). They should've at least kept the original sound effects for them. Their voices and eye are still my favorite back guy effects.

Of all the things they decided to keep, they chose Boxey's haircut. frown

By your command
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 12:41:05 AM »

Another vote in the "don't like the new Starbuck" camp. I don't mind that they made her a woman but she's just been an irritant so far. I think Apollo is a little too bland, ut we'll see.

Adama, however, is fantastic. Best sci-fi captain I've seen since Picard's glory days.

I'm very much enjoying the series so far but I think the original cylon fighter craft were cooler.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 06:45:24 PM »

I finally got around to watching "Bastille Day" yesterday and I've decided to give up on the show. It's just too stupid. First off, the premise of Cylons as humans feels like a concept for a different show shoehorned into Battlestar Galactica. It just doesn't work on a basic level with the setting of a band of refugees running from an apocalypse.

And the whole Baltar/hot chick dialog enrages me every time they show it. I guess the writers/directors don't think they're good enough to actually add subtext to their stories and came up with a device where you could have people continually commenting on the story and tell you what you're supposed to be thinking and feeling about it. It's a lazy device. At the end of "33" with the whole Baltar "I repent" thing I felt like I was repeatedly being hit over the head with a frying pan. Note to writers: We GET it, okay? Don't assume we're stupid from the get go.

Don't even get me started on the whole, "There is only twelve models of Cylons" thing....
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 07:08:49 PM »

Andrew...  Don't hold back dude.

Let us know how you feel.

- - -

Btw...  did I mention that Boomer is hot?

I did?  

Ok then.  Continue.

LD   :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 07:38:54 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Let us know how you feel.

:lol: Heh. I do feel better now.  I've been wanting to vent about the show for a while now.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 09:44:57 PM »

Well at least you gave the show a chance. Unlike some of the really hardcore fanatical original Galactica fans who refuse to give it go and want Ron Moore's head on a stick.

I for one still really like the new Galactica. I haven't been this interested in a sci-fi series since the glory days of Star Trek: Next Generation.
nightfend
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 11:20:19 PM »

I'm really loving the new Battlestar Galactica. Sci Fi did a good job in producing this show. It's very high quality. I was rather upset a few years back when Sci-Fi ended Farscape, but then they did a great thing and produced the Farscape Movie this year that ended the series properly, so I'm happy again. :-)

Anyway, I hope Sci-Fi does more shows like Battlestar Galactica. Man can only take so much Andromeda and Stargate before he pulls his hair out in frustration.
Quaro
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 03:06:50 PM »

Those people complaining it somehow loses the integretity of the original show are freakin nuts.  It's better in almost every way.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 05:38:27 PM »

Quote from: "Quaro"
Those people complaining it somehow loses the integretity of the original show are freakin nuts.  It's better in almost every way.

Well not really. I loved the original when it was new and i was a kid. I still enjoy it but nowhere near as much as I did when it was new. I also love this new series. But I still wish they'd stuck to the original ideas and story.

Its kinda like how Lucas did star Wars..it was great to begine with and then he comes out with the new supposedly better ones that actually suck compared to the old ones.

Well except in BSG's case they both shine in thier own lights.

Ok I seem to have invalidated my own thoughts...Carry on.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 01:15:13 AM »

Couple of things.

I watched Fridays BSG then Enterprise - one after the other.  My thought was at the end of 2 hours--

BSG- man those guys are all screwed.. this is a GOOD show-- no fluff or happy future lets all eat replicated Baked Alaska and have an alien love fest....

Enterprise- man this show *wishes* it was BSG... and so do I.

I think  Enterprise is MUCH better this year but really it should have been what BSG is.

Also there was talk  about the relegious aspect of the Cylons--if you figure they have decide that their makers were flawed-- hence the attack to wipe out humans and then they have to somehow justify their exisitence, their views on God or gods to help them give meaning to their existence do not seem so far fetched.

I always think of the end of  Bladerunner and Harrison Fords monologue  about why the android didn't kill him.

I for one though and  not totally thrilled by all the religion of the Cylons but i can understand it.

Oh, and yeah Boomer is teh hot!
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 10:58:19 PM »

Im watching BSG and really starting to get into it. This is getting much better than I thought it was when I watched the original mini-series which I didn't like very much.

I love how all the characters feel COMPLETELY on edge.

As far as plot, the whole boomer things is driving me crazy. At first I thought she was a cyclon but now I think someone is setting her up and trying to make her crazy. I think she really isn't sure if she is a cyclon which is pretty good writing. I think the real culprit my be the Chief but most likely would be her co-pilot.

Any thoughts?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 04:09:23 AM »

Its Adama..Adama HAS to be the cylon smile...boy would'nt that be a turn.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 04:15:40 AM »

Well I watched the whole season and can confidently say it's got to be the best season of Scifi I've personally seen(and I've seen lots).

The last five episodes just keep trumping each other.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2005, 05:17:48 AM »

Screw it.  I'm just going to say it:

The new Battlestar Galactica is the best science ficiton on TV I've ever seen.  And I'll tell you why:  it's not pandering or trying to be cute; it's simply playing it straight.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2005, 06:47:16 AM »

it's not pandering

You don't think having a hot Cylon sex bot running around in little to no clothes while purring in Baltar's ear is pandering?
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005, 05:09:09 PM »

Considering she was there to seduce Baltar and Boobies McSpock and Seven of 9 were cast to seduce us, then no.  smile
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2005, 05:44:10 AM »

I still can't figure out if she is really a cyclon in Baltars head or if he is just plain crazy.

Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2005, 09:28:26 AM »

I wonder if she is secretly on the human's side...  I remember in the mini series, she seemed to be saddened at what was about to happen.  When she was walking through the mall, looking at all the humans about to die.

If she is inside his head, she is helping them.  It was she who pointed out the bomb on the bridge, and that lead to finding their first cylon on board.  I don't know why else she would point out a bomb that would lead to the destruction of the humans, which is what the cylons supposedly want.

If she is a figment of his screwed up mind, then Baltar has had some pretty lucky guesses so far...

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2005, 06:19:46 PM »

Quote from: "Doomboy"
I wonder if she is secretly on the human's side...  I remember in the mini series, she seemed to be saddened at what was about to happen.  When she was walking through the mall, looking at all the humans about to die.

well, she did kill a baby in that scene..... :shock:

I agree on the Boomer bit-- I like  to think that ONE of them is a human... but then we were told that some of the Cylons don't know they are Cylons.

As for the sexy Six and pandering.. yeah in a way  but it really fits into my thoughts on the Cylons trying to find purpose to their existence by being OVERLY human in their emotions, their religion etc...

Adama a Cylon??? Dude, don't DO that to me!!!!! But oh the possiblities----
warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2005, 08:05:34 PM »

Quote from: "walTer"
Quote from: "Doomboy"

I agree on the Boomer bit-- I like  to think that ONE of them is a human... but then we were told that some of the Cylons don't know they are Cylons.

Actually I think both are Cylons.  The one on Caprica is just much more clearly identified as one.  Nowhere are we told that a particular Cylon is a copy of an living human being.  It appears they make the Cylon models to resemble humans.  That's why there are two Boomers and at least two Hot Cylons.

Adama a Cylon?  I've seen several of the upcoming episodes so I won't comment on that.

I wonder how Dr. Gaius could have survived the nuclear explosion on Caprica in the pilot.  The Hot Cylon told him to "get down" and everything got blown away.  Do we know for sure that he isn't a Cylon?
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2005, 08:50:37 PM »

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, it's all good!!!!
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2005, 07:02:12 AM »

BSG is just getting better. Well, after watching tonight, im convinced Boomer is a Cyclon (DUH). Im pretty sure the one on the Galactica just doesn't know it although she is programmed to work with the other cyclon spies on the ships.

I like how Adama just got up and put a stop to the tribunal. I like the way they are writing both Adama and the President. Two very smart characters.

I still have no freakin idea where the plot is going with the colonial warrior and other Boomer on Caprica. Are they trying to get him to fall in love with her so that have sex and have a baby somehow?? Shit, stupid cyclons, I dont think they need to go to all this trouble to have him bang her.

MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2005, 02:30:21 PM »

I have a question.  One of the things that the president did in the mini-series was to order everyone to start having babies.  So why would the Galactica (I am assuming it has the largest population in the fleet) order it's crew to not have relationships with each other?  It seems like if you need to repopulate the population quickly then ordering your crew not to have relationships will make that tricky.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2005, 03:12:54 PM »

Well on one hand there is the whole military code of conduct which probably trumps any presidential suggestion but also when a big chunk of the pool of pilots got blown up it is probably a bad thing to have half of the remaining ones pregnant.    

As I was watching the Caprica scene the cylons reminded me of Greek gods playing games with a mortal champion.  So I am thinking the cylons have placed themselves as the judges of humanity but not in a united way.  Instead some are wrathful, some are capricious and some are even helpful.  I get the vibe of the roles of the gods in the Odyssey.  

And that is my far fetched theory of the day.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »

Quote from: "RedJak"
 As I was watching the Caprica scene the cylons reminded me of Greek gods playing games with a mortal champion.  So I am thinking the cylons have placed themselves as the judges of humanity but not in a united way.  Instead some are wrathful, some are capricious and some are even helpful.  I get the vibe of the roles of the gods in the Odyssey.  

And that is my far fetched theory of the day.

That's a great theory, it would explain alot of the otherwise strange behaviors they have.

This show is my favorite new show of the season, taking Lost's place.

***spoiler for the episode last night***

Here's an example of why I like it so much:  The Commander gives this 'witchhunt' civil liberty speech, like he's all high and mighty about justice. But at the end he KNOWS darn well a man is in jail for something he didn't do, a MILITARY man no less, but he allows it because it serves his greater purpose of 'keeping my planes in the air'.  That's a decently complex character I can be interested in.  

end spoiler

The whole show has that vibe going on, which is great.  This show does the ONE thing I always look for but never find in most remakes- do the same basic thing(keep the good stuff in other words), but upgrade the writing, acting, and production values to modern standards.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2005, 11:33:23 PM »

Quote from: "MrZubbleWump"
I have a question.  One of the things that the president did in the mini-series was to order everyone to start having babies.  So why would the Galactica (I am assuming it has the largest population in the fleet) order it's crew to not have relationships with each other?  It seems like if you need to repopulate the population quickly then ordering your crew not to have relationships will make that tricky.

what happens if most of the women on Galactica's crew wind up pregnant in the near future though?  it's not long before you have to worry about a ship full of women who may not be able to perform all their necessary duties in the event that wind up in battle again.  it's a big risk to take....

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: