http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:05:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battlestar galactica - where do I start?  (Read 1829 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »

So I'm way late to the party, where do I start. I see a few seasons out there and a miniseries and a movie or two... I plan to use the power of netflix, GT show me the way!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »

The miniseries is where to start as it unfolds into season 1 and then season 2 and then season 2.5 then 3 and then watch BSG:Razor(movie, fills in some other stuff from seasons 2+3) and then 4.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:17:17 PM by Ragnarok » Logged
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »

Most versions of Season 1 have the miniseries as disc one (Best Buy, I think, had an exclusive versions of the mini and season1 separate before everyone else had them).

So get season 1, 2.0, 2.5, 3, Razor, then wait for season 4 on dvd.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:59:36 PM »

Start with the original series and watch all that one. Then skip Battlestar 1980. Then watch the new miniseries and the first half of season 1. Then watch Razor. Then skip to season 3 and pray it gets better before the last 2 episodes.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 21, 2008, 10:59:36 PM

Start with the original series and watch all that one.

Start with the original series and watch one episode.  That'll be enough to make you cringe in horror.  Might I recommend one with the kid and the robot dog?  Yeah.  That'd be a good place to start.

Then watch the new miniseries and the rest of the new show.  And be amazed at the improvement in sci-fi since the 70's.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on April 21, 2008, 10:20:34 PM

Most versions of Season 1 have the miniseries as disc one

Yup, I added season one to my netflix queue and it put the miniseries first, thanks for the tips guys.

I don't think I'll go back to the original. I have some faint recollection of it, but I was very young when it came out so it may have been reruns or something. I definitely remember having the robot dog toy and a cylon action figure.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:05:25 AM »

Quote from: warning on April 22, 2008, 12:40:18 AM

Start with the original series and watch one episode.  That'll be enough to make you cringe in horror.  Might I recommend one with the kid and the robot dog?  Yeah.  That'd be a good place to start.

Then watch the new miniseries and the rest of the new show.  And be amazed at the improvement in sci-fi since the 70's.

Yes.  They no longer use monkeys in robot dog suits.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:23:10 AM »

Old model Cylons ftw

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:35:12 AM »

+1.  Totally ignore the dismal original series and watch the new and improved show.  Just skip the boxing episode in season 3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:47:55 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2008, 03:35:12 AM

+1.  Totally ignore the dismal original series and watch the new and improved show.  Just skip the boxing episode in season 3.

Or just skip all of season 3

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:53:47 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on April 22, 2008, 03:47:55 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 22, 2008, 03:35:12 AM

Or just skip all of season 3

season 3 had some high points the first few episodes and then again towards the end.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:58:33 AM »

I'll be the first to admit that the robot dog was ridiculous but you can't find anything good about the original series?  Seriously?

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 04:15:10 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on April 22, 2008, 03:58:33 AM

I'll be the first to admit that the robot dog was ridiculous but you can't find anything good about the original series?  Seriously?

"Face"

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 11:29:24 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on April 22, 2008, 03:58:33 AM

Well the ships looked cool.  Of course so do the ships in the new series.

When I was 12 the show was great.  Not now.

I'm sure in 30 years I'll feel the same way about current sci-fi shows as well.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »

Watched the mini-series this weekend.

Wow! I think I'm going to enjoy this.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »

Start with the original series and watch all that one. Then skip Battlestar 1980. Then watch the new miniseries and the first half of season 1. Then watch Razor. Then skip to season 3 and pray it gets better before the last 2 episodes.

Ignore this.

Watch every episode of the new Battlestar Galactica, from the miniseries onward.  You will miss important things if you just stop at the first half of season 1 to watch Razor and then move to season 3 like Daehawk recommends.  His idea is truly inane.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »

Indeed: The first four episodes of season three have solidified BSG as my favorite show of all time.  I just finished the fifth episode and it too is excellent.  There's a definite shift in the series' tone from seasons 2 to 3 at least in the first five epsiodes, but once you adjust, it continues flawlessly.

But I guess I'm not as much of a stickler as some: IIRC, there were lots of people who thought The Wire nose dived in season 4- I thought it was excellent. Can't wait for season 5 on disk (August!)

Bottom line: BSG is brilliant start to finish (from what I've seen so far) and I will be buying the whole set once they release it and watching it all over again.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »

I just watched the boxing episodes and I must once again state that I don't get why everyone is down on it.

There was some great character development and I thought it was a fine episode.  I am so in love with this show.
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 01:48:26 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on April 28, 2008, 01:58:10 PM

Ignore this.

Watch every episode of the new Battlestar Galactica, from the miniseries onward.  You will miss important things if you just stop at the first half of season 1 to watch Razor and then move to season 3 like Daehawk recommends.  His idea is truly inane.

Daehawk

Spawn of OO Collective
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:55 PM »

Watch the old show.  Then buy the DVD's of the new show.  Watch them.

Then cringe in horror at the travesty they made of it.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »

Quote from: Darkstar One on May 12, 2008, 02:17:55 PM

???

You, sir, are crazy.  I loved the original show, having grown up watching it (I even had the toys), but the new series kicks its ass 10 different ways.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »

You are out of your mind.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 12, 2008, 01:06:14 PM

I just watched the boxing episodes and I must once again state that I don't get why everyone is down on it.

There was some great character development and I thought it was a fine episode.  I am so in love with this show.

I want Space Opera, not Soap Opera.

Spoiler for Hiden:
At the start of the series, I enjoyed the Apollo and Starbuck characters.  But once they kept pushing the unrequited (and then requited) love storyline, they became much less interesting since it really seemed to be drama for drama's sake and it didn't contribute anything interesting to the overall story.  Yes, at this point I get it that Starbuck is 'crazy'.  I don't need that hammered home every other episode.  And the Apollo character, hate to say it, has become just another whiny bitch.  Screen time with these two characters just drags by for me.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 04:02:50 AM »

Prescription meds mixed with alcohol will make a person say the craziest things.  You need to stay off the keyboard when you're this high, my friend.  Remember the whole, "I really think a 12 foot tall Mickey Mouse could take Michael Jackson in a fair fight" thread you started the last time you took a handful of Vicodin with a tumbler of Scotch?

I want Space Opera, not Soap Opera.

Does Guiding Light and General Hospital incorporate a lot of boxing episodes these days?

That's like telling someone they can enjoy fine wines better by drinking Liquid Plumber.

anway, as an aside, the guy who play Helo is still my vote as a person who should become a huge action star.  the guy's ripped...plus, in the episode with the religious faction that everyone looked down on and that featured him almost solely, he stole the show with some damn fine acting.  Really impressed the hell out of me.  Now when I see a big budget action film with one of the current crop of Hasbro Acting School graduates in it, I think what it would be like with him in it.  I would expect it would only make the film better since I probably wouldn't be as distracted by the horrible acting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 04:07:42 AM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »

The Helo actor is definitely one of the better ones.  Of course I don't have a crush on him like Hepcat.  I would definitely prefer more stuff involving him, Gaida (sp?) and Athena.  Apollo and Starbuck kinda annoy me.  Okay, Starbuck really annoys me.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »

Yeah, after writing that little ending to my post I just knew it was gonna get me pegged as having a mancrush on Helo.   icon_cry

...oh well, at least mcnutt made the trip from the wasteland's of OO to do so!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: