http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica spin-off!!!!!  (Read 1433 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2006, 06:38:23 AM »

As I said out loud when I read it:  Holy Fuck!

SCI FI Channel announced the development of Caprica, a spinoff prequel of its hit Battlestar Galactica, in presentations to advertisers in New York on April 26. Caprica would come from Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, writer Remi Aubuchon (24) and NBC Universal Television Studio.

Caprica would take place more than half a century before the events that play out in Battlestar Galactica. The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better.

But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot: a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the Battlestar Galactica), Caprica will weave together corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga, the channel announced.

straight from the Horse's Mouth

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »

Sounds like a soap opera to me.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 12:52:39 PM »

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the Adama family has to do with corporate intrigue at that time period...

Adama's wife had some familial connections in high places, but I don't recall Adama's family being anything spectacular.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:46:23 PM »

I didn't think a "reimagining" of Battlestar Galactica would work...until Moore proved me utterly wrong.

I'll reserve my final judgement until I see the finished product, but I really am optimistic that this will only add more depth to an otherwise fantastic saga!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 09:47:39 PM »

Don't get me wrong.  I think the backstory leading up to the current story has the potential to be fascinating.  I just don't understand why there has to be a familial tie between that series and this one.  Or how they're going to make it work.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:41:56 AM »

As long as having Moore and others jumping between 2 series doesn't dilute them both. From reading his blog and audio commentaries it sounded like it was already a heavy full time job just running BSG.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:55:27 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
As long as having Moore and others jumping between 2 series doesn't dilute them both. From reading his blog and audio commentaries it sounded like it was already a heavy full time job just running BSG.

Well if HBO hadn't canned Carnivale then he would already be running between two series anyway so I think it's something he expects.  But, yeah, that would be my main concern.  The key to these situations is usually finding a strong show runner for one or the other series.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 02:44:32 AM »

They should make a sitcom, where a Cylon is roomates with Baby Stewie and Merlin.  Oh, and they live next door to one of the chicks from Sex and the City.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 03:53:32 AM »

Maybe they'll have lots of time travel episodes where Lee and Starbuck and company go back 50 years and help kick Cylon butt in the old days!

Saul can buy his dad a beer.

Lee can sleep with his own grandmother and become his own grandfather.

Starbuck will find out she's really adopted because her dad suffered a disfiguring genital injury as a small boy back home on the farm.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

A pilot for Caprica, the BSG spin-off, has finally been greenlit:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117982614.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562

Hopefully it'll be better than the last season of Galactica.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »

Season 3 was great, are you serious? Have you ever seen a freakin space ship jump at ground level? I FREAKIN THINK NOT!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »

Not to diverge too far off topic, but...

Why was BSG cancelled after this upcoming season ends?  Did the network make that decision, or did the producers feel it was time to move on?  With the exception of a few episodes I didn't care for, I really like the show and was just curious if anyone knows why it's going away?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 19, 2008, 07:25:24 PM

Not to diverge too far off topic, but...

Why was BSG cancelled after this upcoming season ends?  Did the network make that decision, or did the producers feel it was time to move on?  With the exception of a few episodes I didn't care for, I really like the show and was just curious if anyone knows why it's going away?

Depends on who you ask.  I think the official company line is that it was all up to the show's creators but the reality is that it's an expensive show with relatively low ratings (about 2 million a week IIRC) that were quite a bit off from their ratings peak and perception was that quality was suffering as well.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

you can thank sci-fi for part of the snafu.  if they hadn't taken so long between s2, s3 and s4, they wouldn't have lost so many viewers.

i also think moore and company had a general timeline for the story and felt they could wrap it all up in 4 seasons without cutting anything out or adding any fluff.

it still annoys me to know end though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »

I predict Caprica will suck drunk monkey balls.

IMHO they should make a prequel following Bill 'Huskar' Adama during the original Cylon war.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 19, 2008, 07:45:07 PM

you can thank sci-fi for part of the snafu.  if they hadn't taken so long between s2, s3 and s4, they wouldn't have lost so many viewers.

What?  That's absurd.  There was only six month between S2 and S3- most cable shows go more like 9 months between seasons and it can be upwards of a year.  The wait for S4 has been rather excessive but the decision to end the show was made shortly after S3 ended so that didn't really play any effect on the ratings. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »

By the way, I'm s-l-o-w-l-y watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time and I'm about halfway through the second season.  In last night's episode, the Pegasus just made its very first appearance with Michelle Forbes as Donald Rumsfeld.  At what point am I supposed to watch that Razor movie / miniseries thing?  Am I supposed to wait until I finish all of Season 2, or what?

Why is it that whenever I mention Racetrack to someone else who's seen the show, I just get a blank stare in return?  She's like the Jonathan of BsG -- she's in every freaking episode, but it's like nobody else notices she's there. icon_confused

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 11:00:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 19, 2008, 08:01:03 PM

Quote from: Caine on March 19, 2008, 07:45:07 PM

What?  That's absurd.  There was only six month between S2 and S3- most cable shows go more like 9 months between seasons and it can be upwards of a year.  The wait for S4 has been rather excessive but the decision to end the show was made shortly after S3 ended so that didn't really play any effect on the ratings. 

was it only that long?  i seem to remember it took longer.  maybe i'm combining it with the mid season break in s3.  of course, s4 will do that too.  icon_confused

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 11:31:25 PM »

I think they're tying off the BSG story, then making this Caprica pilot as a way to continue the storyline if BSG season 4 turns out well.  This way they can continue with something in the BSG universe, without dragging on the BSG fleet story.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »

I like Racetrack, AA.  I think her callsign is a bit lame, but I do like her character.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 11:45:36 PM »

I am still very early into BS:G but this is exciting.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »

Ohh, they will be making robots that become the Cylons...so um, what, we get an hour of watching people in a lab solder wires together?

Eh, I *hope* it's good, but doesn't all the exciting stuff start AFTER the 50 years- IE when BSG begins?

Caprica will weave together corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga,...

I will certainly watch the show when it comes out, but I have to say, THAT description is really not much more than what you see in soap operas every day, bleh.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 12:20:31 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 19, 2008, 08:59:54 PM

By the way, I'm s-l-o-w-l-y watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time and I'm about halfway through the second season.  In last night's episode, the Pegasus just made its very first appearance with Michelle Forbes as Donald Rumsfeld.  At what point am I supposed to watch that Razor movie / miniseries thing?  Am I supposed to wait until I finish all of Season 2, or what?

I'd wait until you watch all of season 3 to watch Razor-  it'll probably have a greater impact, plus I'm sure there's a reason why they released it after Season 3 ended.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 12:35:32 AM »

Quote from: walTer on March 20, 2008, 12:11:08 AM

Ohh, they will be making robots that become the Cylons...so um, what, we get an hour of watching people in a lab solder wires together?

Eh, I *hope* it's good, but doesn't all the exciting stuff start AFTER the 50 years- IE when BSG begins?

Caprica will weave together corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga,...

I will certainly watch the show when it comes out, but I have to say, THAT description is really not much more than what you see in soap operas every day, bleh.

Wouldn't Lost in Space be the first science fiction family saga?

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2008, 12:20:31 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 19, 2008, 08:59:54 PM

I'd wait until you watch all of season 3 to watch Razor-  it'll probably have a greater impact, plus I'm sure there's a reason why they released it after Season 3 ended.

And that reason is <drumroll please> to add additional story threads that they should have added earlier but didn't because unlike the Cylons, the writers did not have a plan. smile

Having season four be the last season brings cohesiveness and forces the writers to get their act together. Season three was disappointing because it lacked definite direction, and just kind of felt like it was meandering along. To be honest, I'm hard pressed to tell you much at all about what happened in S3. Prior to watching Razor, I was really not all that excited for season 4 of BSG. It re-lit the flame. Of course, that could also be because it's been over a year since season 3 ended.

Spoiler for Hiden:
They should have spent more time on New Caprica, IMO. Only four episodes + webisode was not enough
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: