http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 07:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4 discussion - Spoilers!  (Read 3270 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:48 AM »

Okay, so we're on episode 2 now and the season is getting interesting.  They're mixing things up again, changing relationships a lot, and seeing a lot of fallout from things that built up before.  Leaves me wondering if the last season will stay focused on the same characters, are these leavings and changes meaning those characters won't be around as much, or will we just get to see them in other roles?

Lee leaving the ship to pursue politics, hopefully that means we'll see Zarick again.  But it looks like Dee and him have split up.  And from the way he got a send off, it almost seems like he's leaving the show.

Starbuck going even more insane than before, then getting a ship to pursue her vision.

And the big reveal, the Cylon civil war.  What turned Boomer into such an evil bitch?  What happened to the raiders?  What will the centurions do now that they're a thinking army?

It still hasn't quite made up for Season 3, but it's getting there.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »

I don't get why people hated season 3, it was a great season. sure it doesn't hold up to the previous 2, but it was still good. I thought the filler episodes were great to show life outside of fighting and as character development. not everyone episode can be massive space battles, then people would just bitch that every episode is the same. so lose-lose for them it seems.

seriously a giant battleship jumping at almost ground level, how can that NOT be the coolest scene you have ever seen?
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

The humanoid cylons will be facing the same fate as the humans did with the cylons. We still do not know who created the humanoid cylons and why.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:49 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 18, 2008, 10:05:49 AM

seriously a giant battleship jumping at almost ground level, how can that NOT be the coolest scene you have ever seen?

Which I think is a large part of why everybody was so disappointed with season three.   It starts off with what is arguably one of the coolest scenes ever and then fades into a jumbled mess of uninteresting one off shows and plot developments that make it glaringly obvious that the writers had no clue where the show was ultimately heading.

I don't think anybody wants the one hour nothing but space battles show but at least make the character and plot development interesting.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »

Personally I wish Starbuck was still MIA.  I hate that character.

Otherwise I agree that season 4 seems to be off to a good start.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »

I am loving this season so far.  It's gone all the way back to the levels of intrigue at the beginning of season 1 and then some.  The writing is by far the best they have had since the beginning.  I find myself actually interested in and captivated by the show and waiting for the next episode again.

Here's to hoping they can keep it up.

They are really getting a lot of good milage out of three prophets and a fourth leader on one side alone.  Especially when it would appear that the prophet that everyone follows is a megalomaniacal false one.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:01 PM »

Topless Boomer doing topless Tai Chi was nice.

I also liked Baltar talking with Baltar.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »

The first two eps have been excellent.

I also find it very interesting that

Spoiler for Hiden:
The 4 "new" cylons mirror the core resistance on New Caprica: Tigh, Anders, and Chief, plus Tory who is sort of playing the Felix Gaeta role by spying on Baltar.  I don't think that is a coincidence.  I also think it's interesting how the "Watchtower" 4 assume that they are sleeper Cylons like Boomer was, when it seems clear that they are probably quite different from the other 7 we know.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »

Baltar talking to Baltar was the best scene for over a season.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 02:34:58 AM »

Just saw yesterday's episode now.  Wow!  Tense and shocking ending there.  Good stuff, although I was sad over the ending.  I liked that character quite a bit.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 04:56:40 AM »

Quote from: CSL on April 18, 2008, 09:00:34 PM

Baltar talking to Baltar was the best scene for over a season.

"Oh, my giddy aunt."

Also, IMHO, the more Brother Cavil, the better. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 05:15:03 AM »

Gotta agree with you there Kathode, really liked that character too.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 05:24:13 AM »

28 minutes. 31 seconds. Behind the Cylon fleet.

Damn... they're very, very close.

And they could kill us all.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 01:14:59 PM »

Really good episode, although the teaser for last week showed waaaaaaay too much.  mad
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »

Last one was very dull IMO,
Spoiler for Hiden:
but at least the chief's annoying wife is out of the picture
smile 

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

This is the first season since Season One where I've watched the episodes as they're aired rather than just listen/glance at them a few days later while I'm online or on my stationary bike. No more looking at the digital reading thinking "Only halfway through the episode. Yawn...I'll finish it later..."

Too bad about the Chief's wife; I thought she was cute and I liked her.

Knowing that this is the last season must've been to the writers like knowing your going to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates the mind wonderfully. Since I know they're going to at least attempt to wrap things up and are less likely to drift aimlessly in space relying on episodes about elections/dysfunctional relationships/current-event parallels and instead, y'know, "move things along" I have to watch. Have to.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:25:58 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 11:50:19 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Liked the end of Friday's episode, but I have to nominate the Cylon bitch slap and subsequent airlock flushing as Most Predictable Moment of Television in 2008.  As soon as the dark haired Cylon chick showed up I was pretty sure where that was heading.  The one person that knows the secret, the Cylon child, etc.  Still, season's off to a good start so far.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »

Up until the bitch slap, I was still thinking that maybe they weren't Cylons, that there was going to be another explanation (of course the scanning of the Starbuck's husbands eye confirmed it too). But that bitch slap was a full force Cylon smack which erased any doubts. I do like how they have that character embracing her uniqueness.

I'm giving the season a huge meh so far. Sending Apollo into civilian life was lame, they should have just left him in the fleet until the end. And whatever they are doing with Starbuck is starting to get annoying too.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 21, 2008, 01:53:44 PM

Up until the bitch slap, I was still thinking that maybe they weren't Cylons, that there was going to be another explanation (of course the scanning of the Starbuck's husbands eye confirmed it too). But that bitch slap was a full force Cylon smack which erased any doubts. I do like how they have that character embracing her uniqueness.

I'm giving the season a huge meh so far. Sending Apollo into civilian life was lame, they should have just left him in the fleet until the end. And whatever they are doing with Starbuck is starting to get annoying too.

Up until the red eye contact and raider retreat, I was hoping they weren't cylons.  I can't imagine that this will ultimately be a good plot arc.  But I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

This third episode showed signs of weakness where the last two weeks tensions were strong this week seemed like forces plot elements being moved forward.  But the show is still strong unless it's just been that I have been in a TV drought for maybe half a year.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 06:32:08 PM »

Hating season 4 so far.   icon_cry  Making the four Cylons opens up so many plot holes in previous seasons.  In S3's finale I assumed that there was some kind of trick explanation, but then when the opening credits introduce them as four new Cylons...  And having the admiral and president act so ridiculously stupid about Starbuck for the sake of the story just completely pulls me out of the show.  They've been very realistic up to this point, but suddenly now they're too stupid to send out a recon ship on the possibility of finding Earth?  (edit to clarify - not the garbage scow they're on now, but before - how hard was it to send out a Raptor before jumping randomly 4 times?)

We're supposed to buy that the people most fervently opposed to the Cylons in all the various restistances are actually machines themselves, and always have been, and are suddenly going to start acting on behalf of the Cylons?  Maybe the Cylons would have done their little red eye scanning trick, say, when they were yanking out Tigh's eye?  Or when the chief was shooting up Centurions after he was shot down on that planet?  Suddenly someone who a few short weeks ago was a loyal human advisor to the president is willing to yank a child out of his mothers arms and flush her out an airlock?   retard

I think the writers have completely jumped the shark - the show doesn't seem to be about a rag tag group of survivors fleeing the Cylon attackers anymore.  The best part of the show was the comradarie and struggles that Starbuck, Apollo, and the rest of the Galactica crew endured while avoiding the Cylons.  That's all done now, apparently.  We don't even see life on Galactica anymore, let alone space battles.  Now we have Cylon romance and Baltar soap opera crap.  These attempts to muddy the waters and make the viewer question who the good guys are and who the bad guys are have destroyed what made the show great, in my opinion.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »

I was enjoying Season 4 until reading the stuff Rowdy just wrote, since he brings up some pretty good points.

Why do I read these threads!?! 

By the way, I guess the cylon baby made by Chief and Callie doesn't count as important because Chief is a male and he was basically just a sperm donor.  Is that your guys' take on that as well?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 21, 2008, 07:10:19 PM

By the way, I guess the cylon baby made by Chief and Callie doesn't count as important because Chief is a male and he was basically just a sperm donor.  Is that your guys' take on that as well?

i've really been wondering about the implications of that as well...hasn't even been mentioned yet, but i'm sure it will come up eventually...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »

Quote from: disarm on April 21, 2008, 08:33:16 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on April 21, 2008, 07:10:19 PM

i've really been wondering about the implications of that as well...hasn't even been mentioned yet, but i'm sure it will come up eventually...

Well, to be fair, nobody really knows that their baby is a cylon hybrid except for the final four and they are still working out what the hell their being Cylons means in the first place.   All of the other Cylons (6-12) have no idea of the existence of the new Cylon hybrid baby and certainly nobody in the fleet knows.

And yeah, I'm sure it'll be coming up soon enough.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:54:21 PM by TK-421 » Logged

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »

When they wake the Xena model this will all change.  She's the one infatuated with the cylon/human babies, knows a bit about the Galactica crew, and has seen the other five.  What I don't get about the other five is that four of them have no clue what is going on and they don't have a bunch of models, and yet they must be older than six through twelve.  I can't imagine they are going to work out of the twists and turns very well and history has shown that they don't do a very good job.

But I'm still enjoying the drama, the tension, and the plot device builds more than I have in a long time.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »

I don't think they will be waking up Xena... it was a trick to blow the hell out of the renegade models.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 01:26:19 AM »

Quote from: madpeon on April 21, 2008, 09:37:50 PM

I don't think they will be waking up Xena... it was a trick to blow the hell out of the renegade models.

Not so sure about that. Think I caught a glimpse of her in one of the adverts for upcoming shows.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »

Were do they keep the other models anyway? You would think that they could just go take a look at them if they're boxed or something...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on April 22, 2008, 01:26:19 AM

Not so sure about that. Think I caught a glimpse of her in one of the adverts for upcoming shows.

I think I saw her too, plus I'm pretty sure they've said Lucy Lawless will be returning this season.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »

Rowdy raises some very valid concerns, but as long as they explain the activation process before the season ends, the writers can still redeem themselves. They simply weren't recognized as Cylons because they were active (meaning some kind of physiological change within them).

Airlocking Cally is an act of self preservation by a Cylon, yet saving the baby is a human act. I look forward to next week's episode to see how the new Cylons deal with that conflicting need of self-preservation and their aim of maintaining as they were before.

To sum up: I'm still giving the show the benefit of the doubt for now, though I wish they'd move things along now, especially on the Starbuck front.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »

Which was kind of awesome.  "Hey, the resurrection ship didn't make the jump...  Uh oh."

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »

Too predictable though  icon_confused. Definately saw that one coming.

Also, I was annoyed with Kali (Cali?). She hates the Cylons so much that when she finds 3 amongst her... she promptly goes off to commit suicide *boggle*.

I can understand she was sort of out of it, but  I just don't buy her not telling someone before she goes out.

Still enjoying S4 alot though, the Cylon revolution is awsome.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on April 21, 2008, 06:32:08 PM

We're supposed to buy that the people most fervently opposed to the Cylons in all the various restistances are actually machines themselves, and always have been, and are suddenly going to start acting on behalf of the Cylons?  Maybe the Cylons would have done their little red eye scanning trick, say, when they were yanking out Tigh's eye?  Or when the chief was shooting up Centurions after he was shot down on that planet?  Suddenly someone who a few short weeks ago was a loyal human advisor to the president is willing to yank a child out of his mothers arms and flush her out an airlock?   retard

I think the writers have completely jumped the shark - the show doesn't seem to be about a rag tag group of survivors fleeing the Cylon attackers anymore.  The best part of the show was the comradarie and struggles that Starbuck, Apollo, and the rest of the Galactica crew endured while avoiding the Cylons.  That's all done now, apparently.  We don't even see life on Galactica anymore, let alone space battles.  Now we have Cylon romance and Baltar soap opera crap.  These attempts to muddy the waters and make the viewer question who the good guys are and who the bad guys are have destroyed what made the show great, in my opinion.
icon_neutral Interesting post.

The previous seasons had a highly valued veteran Viper pilot (and secret Cylon) shoot Adama; why then should it ruin this season to have four more fervent anti-Cylon fighters turn out to be robots themselves, other than make it slightly humorous to find out who isn't a Cylon?

BSG often forgot about being the story of a desperate struggle by the last human survivors of an alien genocide to focus on father/son relationships, romance, election fraud, military vs. civilian control, current event allusions, etc.. For every episode where the fate of humanity hung in the balance we'd have five where the issue was price controls, fair elections, prisoner abuse, military criminals, etc. If anything, this season
continues that tradition of "Yeah,the Cylons will wipe us out. Now, back to the important stuff..."

Similarly BSG has always "muddied the waters" about who were the good guys and who weren't. We've already seen a legendary Admiral turn out to be a brutal tyrant, a politically correct President toss a prisoner out an airlock, troops fire on civilians withholding supplies, another President with a secret Cylon succubus, collaborators with Cylon occupation who assisted the Resistance, an anarchist criminal whose become a voice of moderation: this show hasn't been all that clear about who's been naughty and who's been nice.

I'm not saying that I like BSG all that much. I've always thought the writers hadn't thought things through. I  believe that they were/are making stuff up as they go along. I just don't understand why, at this point, we'd suddenly start saying "Wait a minute...THAT'S a plot hole..." or "THAT doesn't make sense..." when it didn't seem to matter much before.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:29:41 PM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »

I wasn't really surprised by Cally's reaction, given the reaction to the other "skinjobs" on the ship.  If she tells everyone, she's dealing with the humiliation of sleeping with the skinjob, marrying a skinjob and having the baby of a skinjob.  She would also come under immediate suspicion as a cylon or cylon sympathizer herself.  Her baby is also subject to being thrown out the airlock, or being dissected, studied, etc.  I think that's enough to want to check out and also enough to not want anyone else to know why.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »

She was also on anti-depression meds which may have really sent her over the edge.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 08:43:21 PM »

I figured the origin and story behind the four "new" Cylons was an open question.  I don't think it's necessary that they rush to fill in every blank right away.  I think it's the most compelling part of the show so far this season - the conflicted nature of these people suddenly finding out they're Cylons and seeing how they deal with it.  I actually like it a lot more that they're holding back some of the info.

As far as Starbuck goes, if it was me, I wouldn't have given her anything.  She shows up with lost time, raving about a feeling.  No Raptor, no sewage ship, no nothing as far as I'm concerned.  Enjoyed the scene from her ship (excepting the "frak frak frak" part), especially the shot of her standing above Anders with the light behind her.  Pretty cool stuff.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:46:18 PM by kathode » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »

Won't Tori's face be red when it's revealed that the remaining one Cylon turns out to be Cali.

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »

I was just thinking that Starbuck seems to have gone from Buffy the Cylon Slayer to Crazy Fred in a Cave.  No wonder Joss Whedon loves this show.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 05:39:45 AM »

Friend brought up a good point...

If the final 4 were Cylons all along, how is it that he fought in the original war against the 'old' model toasters. That means there were skinjobs all along?
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on April 23, 2008, 05:39:45 AM

If the final 4 were Cylons all along, how is it that he fought in the original war against the 'old' model toasters. That means there were skinjobs all along?

Who he?  Tigh?  Did Tigh fight in the original war?  That should be an interesting or Whatthefuckever reveal if he did.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 03:19:55 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on April 23, 2008, 05:39:45 AM

i was thinking the same thing myself.  he and adama have known each other for a long time as well. 

tbh, i haven't liked the premise since it was revealed, and i hope they have been F-ing with us the whole time about their being the final 4 of 5.  other than the internal torment, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: