http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 07:41:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Starts Tonight! (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 19618 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2009, 12:10:12 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
The show is over. Why are people still using Spoiler tags?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2009, 12:13:19 AM »

hmmm.. disappearing in the middle of a field without a sound...

it's obvious what Kara was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
a NINJA!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:11 AM »

BTW can you believe that Richard Hatch/ Tom Zerick is older than Ed Olmos/ Admiral Adama?? wow.

a NINJA!

A robot ninja.

Did Leoben give up on Kara?

EDIT: OH! one other thing that stood out to me, and something I never thought of before through the whole series, is Galactica STILL had her starboard hanger bay closed off as a museum !??? I thought for sure they had turned it back into a fighter bay after the mini series stuff. Looking back now I realize I never saw a launch or landing from that pylon. geez! the old Centurion was in there and all. Wow why did they never open that back up? What if something had happened to the port one?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:38:26 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »

For some reason I was thinking the way to earth that Galactica was following was left by the 13th tribe on ITS WAY to earth. but seeing the end and looking back it seems those markers and the temple on the algea planet and such were left by the final 5? Did they just grow old and die and get reborn young on their 2000 year journey? And why didn't they have jump drives like the ones they used to get to earth the first time? Argh my head!

What are they gonna do without their cigs??? smile
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:41:54 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »

I came across Bear's Blog . Its the music man's site for BSG and this link has all the details anyone could want on the final series ending episode's music score. Found it a fun read to be in the head of the man who made the scores for all the scenes and the show itself.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:13:59 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2009, 11:23:58 PM »

Likely one of the reasons why they never used the other flight pod was its mag accelerators had already been stripped.  Tongue

Anyway, I have no interest in Caprica.  However, I suspect like the final seasons, Caprica is an attempt to make a cheaper scifi show without the need for so many effects or large special sets.  Just lots of humans, sex, and politics, and maybe a few effects shots to cover over older buildings with futuristic ones.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:28:47 PM by Turtle » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2009, 02:18:28 AM »

Caprica looks like Craprica to me. But this other one..The Plan..is that a series or just a movie? That one might be interesting to see the Cylon side of things.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2009, 02:40:35 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 13, 2009, 02:18:28 AM

But this other one..The Plan..is that a series or just a movie? That one might be interesting to see the Cylon side of things.

just a movie.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 12, 2009, 11:23:58 PM

Just lots of humans, sex, and politics, and maybe a few effects shots to cover over older buildings with futuristic ones.
So basically just like Battlestar Galactica? slywink
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2009, 03:36:21 AM »

Dave's top 10 BSG list featuring the BSG cast reading them!

Tigh rules!

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2009, 04:28:45 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 14, 2009, 03:36:21 AM

They were all really bad at reading their line. I guess not everyone can do the humor. Starbuck had the best line though.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:37 AM »

well caprica is out on the nets. It's very different, not a bad different. But I'm sure it's not what a lot of fans are going to want. I'm a bit torn, but I think I'll need to see how they progress the show to have a real judgement.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:42 PM »

Did they ever explain about how Hera's blood cured the President of cancer? And even more important...why did they not use it again when the cancer returned? We could have had a happier ending.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 20, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »

OK, here's the deal.  I didn't watch any of the episodes while it was on the air, but just finished watching the entire series via Netflix (the east coast blizzard this weekend gave me a lot of time to watch the last few episodes). 

I agree with many of the other forums posts about the ending not making a lot of sense.  They spend four and a half seasons going out of their way to stick together, but in the end they all go their separate ways.  I did like Starbuck's goodbye, though I wish they cleared up the father/missing Cylon link. 

While the last episode wasn't all it could have been, I would still rate this as one of the best TV series I have watched.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 20, 2009, 11:59:25 PM »

Quote from: KC on December 20, 2009, 07:23:00 PM

OK, here's the deal.  I didn't watch any of the episodes while it was on the air, but just finished watching the entire series via Netflix (the east coast blizzard this weekend gave me a lot of time to watch the last few episodes). 

I agree with many of the other forums posts about the ending not making a lot of sense.  They spend four and a half seasons going out of their way to stick together, but in the end they all go their separate ways.  I did like Starbuck's goodbye, though I wish they cleared up the father/missing Cylon link. 

While the last episode wasn't all it could have been, I would still rate this as one of the best TV series I have watched.

Well, figure after years trapped on a spaceship, they were probably ready for some down time away from the people they spent 24/7 with....makes sense to me.

As for it being one of the best, I agree wholeheartedly. When the series gets discounted at Amazon, i'm buying it and watching it again.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »

actually, they did explain splitting up. they figured they would spread out to increase their chances of survival. they had no clue how good the land would be for farming and gaming. plus smaller tribes are easier to take care of than a massive one.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2009, 10:03:49 PM »

I did like Starbuck's goodbye, though I wish they cleared up the father/missing Cylon link. 

Why did you like her goodbye? There was absolutely no explanation for anything about her - if she was a cylon or a human or hybrid or angel or how she was on earth before or how she knew what she did or, well, anything. Then she just disappeared. All those little plots they wrote for her, not a single one of them meant anything after that.

It was blatantly lazy writing, IMO.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 21, 2009, 10:03:49 PM

I did like Starbuck's goodbye, though I wish they cleared up the father/missing Cylon link. 

Why did you like her goodbye? There was absolutely no explanation for anything about her - if she was a cylon or a human or hybrid or angel or how she was on earth before or how she knew what she did or, well, anything. Then she just disappeared. All those little plots they wrote for her, not a single one of them meant anything after that.

It was blatantly lazy writing, IMO.

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Destiny

The nature of Kara "Starbuck" Thrace's specific destiny began in the Season 1 episode, "Flesh and Bone"...

It didn't always make a lot of sense to me but I'm not sure I'd use the word lazy.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2009, 12:51:48 AM »

Quote from: warning on December 21, 2009, 10:22:10 PM

It didn't always make a lot of sense to me but I'm not sure I'd use the word lazy.
Of course it's lazy! That Wiki even admits it doesn't know a thing. Its attempt at explaining the "harbinger of death" moniker is just brutal in its rationalization, lol.

From the wiki:
"Kara being the "harbinger of death" can also be explained as her having died and then being brought back to life. Thus, she is "living proof" of the notion that everything dies and that there is life after death."

That's awful, lol. Any idiot can write a character that has all these suspicious little things about her. "OK, what if she gets to earth and finds her body in a viper? What does it mean? How will we explain it? We won't! We'll just have it there and it'll be cool!" It takes a decent writer to make those suspicious little things mean something. BSG writers didn't even make the attempt.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »

Yep, overall the series got sloppy and lazy in its writing.  They pulled an Evangaleon basically.  slywink  Instead of writing out a decent plot, they fell on the old crutch of pseudo religious babble and mystery.  For all the plot problems Lost has, so far they haven't gone too far down that rabbit hole.

The whole of season 3 and 4 I was waiting for the big reveal of what this One God character really was, and who the old Kobol "gods" were as referenced when the cylon Athena said that whoever or whatever the real Athena was, she threw herself off those cliffs.  Now that sounded like an interesting plot of old and powerful beings, or perhaps old super humans and super machines having a falling out on kobol, and continuing their shadowy war today.  Instead they wave their hands and shout, "Look!  It's all mysterious!"
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 30, 2009, 03:02:52 AM

BSG is solidified as my favorite show of all time, but the last few episodes could have used a bit more polish. Funny thing, though, is that I know when I purchase the complete series whenever it comes out and I get back to these episodes I'll like them far more than I do now.

Know thyself, ATB.

I spent the last 9 months or so re-watching the series and there was so much I'd forgotten.  I find BSG to be even better now after re-watching it than i did back then...especially the last half of season four.  It's tense, well written and wholly satisfying.  I wrapped this up last night watching the last 2 parts of the 3 part finale and thought overall they did an incredible job wrapping the show.  I did notice that several scenes were missing (like Tyrol walking off to colonize Scotland/Ireland) in the netflix version...but overall the show completely re-solidified itself as my favorite show ever.

There were genuine moments that I had forgotten that shocked me all over again:

Spoiler for Hiden:
like the clifhanger where Boomer shot Adama

as i'd completely erased that trauma from my memory slywink

I hope I can rewatch it again in 4 more years and feel the same.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »

I wonder why Netflix cut out the Tyrol bit?   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2013, 04:05:06 AM »

There was an extended cut of the finale; perhaps the scene was in that one and Netflix only has the original version.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

On the topic of the show's final seasons and their weaknesses, I think it's very, very difficult to mix the spiritual with the science fiction.  A writer usually is either one or the other when it comes to their style/sensibilities.  Moore went too heavy towards the spiritual side towards the show's end and I think a lot of that tone just felt...off...for the show and the promises it made the first season or two.  While I don't hate it as much as some folks do here, I do understand the complaints.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »

Generally, I agree.

The spiritual component shifted from an interesting thread for the whole of the series to the defining focus of the show and it was done somewhat clumsily.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:20 AM »

funny, I thought about starting a re-watch up after The Walking Dead finishes up its third season. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 23, 2013, 05:41:20 AM

funny, I thought about starting a re-watch up after The Walking Dead finishes up its third season. 

Do it.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »

Portlandia Gets Ronald D. Moore to Write One More Episode

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 23, 2013, 06:50:11 PM

Awesome.  Thank you for the link.  I did marathons for Firefly and The Walking Dead season 1 and 2.  Which Ron Moore is a cylon?   
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: