http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:58:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Starts Tonight! (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 20355 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »

Pointless flashbacks, a melodramatic call for a suicide mission and Baltar making yet another power grab...  thumbsdown

Its pretty sad that I won't be sorry to see this series end.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »

Fanboys are fucking pathetic. If a show isn't 50% explosions, it's all whine whine whine whine. God forbid we develop characters, establish inter-personal relationships and give us some reason to care about who survives the inevitable explosions.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 14, 2009, 09:38:39 PM

Fanboys are fucking pathetic. If a show isn't 50% explosions, it's all whine whine whine whine. God forbid we develop characters, establish inter-personal relationships and give us some reason to care about who survives the inevitable explosions.

thumbsup

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »

I think we have different definitions of "fanboy":

1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company regardless of if they suck or not.
2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

I'm the one who is holding BSG to high standards and willing to be critical when they fall short. Compare BSG to Lost which has been unbelievable this season. I guess that means we agree, Fanboys are fucking pathetic.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »

It is possible to develop characters in a way that is somewhat interesting.  The show doesn't have to be non-stop action, but at least make it lively enough that I don't check my watch hoping that it's almost over.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 14, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »

I realize that they have a three hour finale to fill but there was a lot of stuff that just... doesn't seem to matter.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Roslin's father and two sisters were killed by a drunk driver.
Baltar's father was put into an old-folks home by Caprica-Six
Starbuck making dinner for Lee and Zack Adama
Lee stumbling around in a drunken stupor --- chasing a pigeon out of his home.
Anders... doing an interview for ESPN

I just don't see the relevance.

Don't get me wrong. I care about these characters, and I thought every moment that happened in the *now* was great. But the moments that happened in the past just don't seem to matter anymore, four years in and at the final chapter. I'm sure by the end of next week those seemingly random moments will have a greater significance, but for right now, they just seem like random moments that have me asking what's the point. After the first ten minutes of the episode were fully flashbacks, I was really itching to get back to the present.

The volunteer scene was impressive. Great to see good ol Doc Cottle stepping up to go with the admiral.

I'm really looking forward to friday.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 14, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 14, 2009, 10:44:00 PM

1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company regardless of if they suck or not.
2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

I'm the one who is holding BSG to high standards and willing to be critical when they fall short. Compare BSG to Lost which has been unbelievable this season. I guess that means we agree, Fanboys are fucking pathetic.

OK, this calls for a classic to be pulled out of the archives (warning: might not be safe for human eyes):

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »

Moliere is right. You are wrong.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2009, 04:41:15 AM »

This week's TV Guide had a big multi page article on BSG and it was mentioned that the flashbacks, etc from Friday's episode will tie in and have meaning somehow in the finale.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2009, 02:03:22 AM »

Quote from: ericb on March 15, 2009, 04:41:15 AM

This week's TV Guide had a big multi page article on BSG and it was mentioned that the flashbacks, etc from Friday's episode will tie in and have meaning somehow in the finale.

Oh my God... what a shock. Who would have thought that? But... but the episode still must have sucked! There were no explosions! And we all know explosions are all that matter on a TV show! The fanboys want their fucking explosions!!!!

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 14, 2009, 10:44:00 PM

Whatever... you're whining that an "episode" that is really just the first part of a three hour episode cut into a separate piece has "pointless flashbacks." How do we know they're pointless?

I'm all for holding the writers and producers accountable. I've given up on Heroes 'cause it got so bad, and Battlestar started to plumb the depths of boring last season with the episodes where nothing happened but Baltar hanging out with the Three and Six on the Basestar.

The last few episodes, however, have not been like that. Each episode has moved us one beat or clear step closer to the conclusion of the series. So far this half-season, they've gotten to Earth, left Earth, revealed the Final Cylon, had a coup in the fleet, had Hera kidnapped, come to realize Galactica is dying, revealed "The Plan", and obliquely addressed Starbuck's situation (with likely some solution to that next week)... that's a lot of narrative movement in just a few episodes. So much better than the endless tedium of post-New Caprica Season 3... remember where we are compared to that fucking boxing episode.

Which is not to say that this half-season has been as good as Season 1. It's not. And I totally agree with the criticisms couched in that argument. What I am sick of is the people who want more explosions. "Wah, it's called *battle*star after all! Wah!" They need to grow up, learn how TV shows are financed, and realize that explosions are pointless without narrative behind them. No one wants to watch a show that's just a bunch of strung-together space flights.

No one with an IQ above room temperature, anyways.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »

Fanboys are fucking pathetic.

The irony in that made me chuckle...   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2009, 04:33:28 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on March 16, 2009, 02:20:38 AM

They need to grow up, learn how TV shows are financed, and realize that explosions are pointless without narrative behind them. No one wants to watch a show that's just a bunch of strung-together space flights.

No one with an IQ above room temperature, anyways.
Dude, what's up with the personal insults? You seem to be getting overly upset at anyone criticizing BSG. Do I need to quote the fanboy definition again for you? I get it. You like the direction that BSG has gone this season. Congratz. I don't. That doesn't make me less intelligent, it just means that I have different tastes in entertainment. Making generalizations and insulting comments about anyone who disagrees with you doesn't make you right, but it does make you a fanboy douche.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:23 AM »

damn Moliere, did you kick his dog again?  I've never seen Fireball so cranky.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »

aye, this thread is becoming a place to avoid, due to the countless ways one can become an idiot, if one dares to differ in opinion...

what happened to you guys? You used to be cool...

A new one
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2009, 08:16:26 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 16, 2009, 04:33:28 AM

Making generalizations and insulting comments about anyone who disagrees with you doesn't make you right, but it does make you a fanboy douche.
I don't like saying it, but Moliere is right again.

And I want the mods to note how much restraint I am showing here, considering Fireball is directly quoting and thus directly insulting me here as well. Tongue There's really no counter-insult I could provide which would denigrate you more than your own posts are doing, Fireball.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »

Respectfully, those things are fine, excellent even, when you are setting up or building a show. However, they are NOT fine, when you only have 2 episodes left. To me, it kind of seems like they don't/didn't know how to end the show, so they felt the need to fill in some time, with things the person before you mentioned.

It just isn't ending well, in my opinion.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »

finally got to watch the latest episode last night.  I have to agree, those flashbacks were pretty pointless at this stage in the game unless they are going to somehow run into their dead loved ones in tonights finale.

I'm thinking that they will, with the whole 'life after death' spiel Baltar gave the episode before.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2009, 04:10:03 PM

finally got to watch the latest episode last night.  I have to agree, those flashbacks were pretty pointless at this stage in the game unless they are going to somehow run into their dead loved ones in tonights finale.

I'm thinking that they will, with the whole 'life after death' spiel Baltar gave the episode before.
I can't wait to see the relevance of Lee chasing a pigeon around his house. Maybe the pigeon is symbolic for the human race being chased around the universe...by the Cylons. My gods, Lee Adama is a frakin' skin job! Now we know the 14th (or is it the 15th?) missing Cylon.  Roll Eyes

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »

I'm confused.  How many episodes are left as of now?  Or maybe better asked...  How many actual hours are left?  Is the finale a 2-hour deal?  Is that tonight?

Help.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 20, 2009, 06:44:06 PM

I'm confused.  How many episodes are left as of now?  Or maybe better asked...  How many actual hours are left?  Is the finale a 2-hour deal?  Is that tonight?

Help.

2 hours 11 minutes.  Airs tonight. 
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

Everyone's a Cylon.  The human race is a lie.

You heard it here first.  Tongue   icon_lol

(Ooh, look...300 posts.  Only took 4 1/2 years.  LOL)
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on March 20, 2009, 07:27:34 PM

It only takes 300 to stop CeeKay's Persian army of 19,000.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »

That's funny.  I was going to say it took CK 4 1/2 minutes to reach 300 posts, but you beat me to it.

Thanks Kevin.  Tonight we get all our answers then.  Thank God.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 20, 2009, 08:20:24 PM

Thanks Kevin.  Tonight we get all our answers then.  Thank God.
Just because it's a finale doesn't mean we get any answers  icon_confused.

Personally I'll be happy if they explain WTF is up with the 6 in Baltar's head.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »

Actually, that would have made a neat alternate thread.  "If they only answer one unknown in the finale, what would you want it to be?"

For me, it's the Starbuck thing.  Is she just a simple clone, (from when they took her insides out in Season 2,3, or whatever) - or is she much more than that?

LD

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:34 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 20, 2009, 10:32:24 PM

Actually, that would have made a neat alternate thread.  "If they only answer one unknown in the finale, what would you want it to be?"
I'm going to repeat cheeba's answer and list Baltar's #6 hallucinations as my top priority. I expect other things will be left open so they can start more spin off series in the future.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 20, 2009, 10:32:24 PM

For me, it's the Starbuck thing.  Is she just a simple clone, (from when they took her insides out in Season 2,3, or whatever) - or is she much more than that?

She can't be a simple clone because she has most all of her memories up until she "died".
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 20, 2009, 07:36:47 PM

Quote from: Gromit on March 20, 2009, 07:27:34 PM

It only takes 300 to stop CeeKay's Persian army of 19,000.

Quote from: Lockdown on March 20, 2009, 08:20:24 PM

That's funny.  I was going to say it took CK 4 1/2 minutes to reach 300 posts, but you beat me to it.

Because I can,
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »

I feel...

Spoiler for Hiden:
robbed.   icon_neutral
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »

Absolutely freaking loved it from start to finish thumbsup
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2009, 03:39:13 AM »

Awesome ride. Sorry it's over frown
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2009, 03:40:06 AM »

Did the finally figure out how to end this? I read an interview from a long time ago and they said they were just making it up as they went along. I stopped watching at the end of season 2. I think that's where they landed and the Cylons showed up on planet.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2009, 03:49:38 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 21, 2009, 03:40:06 AM

Did the finally figure out how to end this? I read an interview from a long time ago and they said they were just making it up as they went along. I stopped watching at the end of season 2. I think that's where they landed and the Cylons showed up on planet.

It checked off all the necessary boxes for me, including crazy gigantic space battle.  Answered all the questions I had and left enough wiggle room to keep you wondering.  A sly little wink at the very end was maybe over the top (including a gratuitous Ron Moore cameo), but I really thought it was a great end to a great series.  I'll be purchasing a "complete series" set whenever they come out for sure.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2009, 03:53:06 AM »

LOVED the beginning/middle. The opera house for example was amazing.

Didn't care for the end.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It felt.......unlikely. Too clean and happy for this show.

They abandoned the ships why? Wouldn't they make for good shelters when landing on a planet with unknown weather conditions? I know I'd be pissing myself during the first major hurricane/tornado and being like - why the fuck am I not in my ship?

And for anyone going off to live off as a hermit forever --- why? And why spread out over the entire planet with no transport? All of that makes zero sense from a species-survival standpoint.

And the 150,000 years later part just felt heavy handed.

I do feel everything was nicely wrapped up - not too many loose ends that felt like they still needed to be wrapped up.

The episode itself does not stand up to the great moments they had in the series - the Pegasus episodes being my high water mark for the entire series and possibly of all television.

Great show, and I'm going to miss it.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2009, 04:07:20 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on March 21, 2009, 03:53:06 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
It felt.......unlikely. Too clean and happy for this show.

They abandoned the ships why? Wouldn't they make for good shelters when landing on a planet with unknown weather conditions? I know I'd be pissing myself during the first major hurricane/tornado and being like - why the fuck am I not in my ship?

And for anyone going off to live off as a hermit forever --- why? And why spread out over the entire planet with no transport? All of that makes zero sense from a species-survival standpoint.

And the 150,000 years later part just felt heavy handed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The catch-all answer for that is the presence of the primitive humans, so they knew they'd be able to survive on whatever basic supplies they brought down without the full ships.  I agree that it was a flimsy justification of a pretty major decision, where Adama is convinced to scrap the entire fleet because of a few minutes of Lee going all hippy, but in the end it was really a detail.  Whether they brought the ships down or not, the show makes it clear that they survived.  As for transport, I think they were keeping Raptors at least, and Adama does say all the colonies will know of the others' locations.  I chalked it up to them overcompensating for years of living on a cramped spaceship smile  The Gaelan thing was a little too cute (obviously he founded Ireland), but it was all worth it for the sweeping shot of Adama at the end before the jump in time.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2009, 04:17:50 AM »

All in all... I liked it a lot.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I understand how Six was there 150,000 years later, but not Baltar.  What did I miss there?  Also, Kara Thrace was.....?  I think I'm supposed to understand what she ended up being, but missed that as well.

LD

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 21, 2009, 04:43:55 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on March 21, 2009, 04:17:50 AM

All in all... I liked it a lot.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I understand how Six was there 150,000 years later, but not Baltar.  What did I miss there?  Also, Kara Thrace was.....?  I think I'm supposed to understand what she ended up being, but missed that as well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That was the Baltar that Caprica Six saw in her head.  Not the 'real' Baltar.

XBox Live:  JNacht
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

what a great way to finish the show. This sucks it's over, over. That's it.

4 years well spent though, going to miss the show so much. I hope Caprica is half as good as this was to fill the void.

Oh, I forgot about The Plan. We still have something to look forward!
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »

Best quote I've read on QT3 regarding the finale:

And I guess the head Six and head Baltar are angels or some shit? Great. So, instead of the science-fiction show I thought I was watching, I guess it was really a very extended episode of Touched By A Cylon.

That made me chuckle.   icon_lol
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: