http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:29:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Starts Tonight! (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 18566 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2009, 04:51:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2009, 04:43:07 PM

I think what bugs people about BSG is that, for a long time, each episode opened up with telling the audiences that the Cylons had a Plan.  And it's become abundantly clear that they never did.  In a sense it feels like false advertising.
I think that is partly it and I think they're also a bit of a victim of their own success. If they didn't have shows like 33 I wouldn't expect greatness from them. But it's also largely their own fault because their inconsistencies are so glaring, it makes them look like bumbling writers throwing stuff against a wall and seeing what sticks. First we have 12 cylons, but oops there was a number 8, so now they have 13. It reminds me of that Mel Brooks movie (History of the World was it?) where he plays Moses coming down from the mountain with the commandments, "Behold the 15 (drops one of the stones)... 10 commandments!"
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2009, 12:54:44 AM »

about 'they have a plan', i figure that by now, the humans have so completely screwed up the plan that it doesn't matter any more and the writers were just too lazy to remove it from the intro.  hell, did they plan on letting the humans cause such fragmentation between their own members to cause whole lines of cylons to rebel?

btw, i have been listening to the season 1 intro music (the military style marching drum beat) and it's kind of sad that so much of the early kick ass episodes have given way to inter couple drama.  i think i'll restart watching from the mini-series after the last episode to compare the writing quality.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2009, 05:31:20 AM »

Well that was boring.

Daddy didn't love me so I stopped playing the piano.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:56 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 28, 2009, 05:31:20 AM

Well that was boring.

Daddy didn't love me so I stopped playing the piano.

to each his own...i thought it was another great episode.  i'm not quite sure how they're going to tie everything together with only three episodes left though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »

So my guess is that the piano player was Daniel and that the reason he never returned to Starbuck was because Cavil deactivated him.  That would mean that Starbuck is some kind of cylon child.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2009, 12:01:43 PM »

Yep, that seems to be it.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2009, 05:00:16 PM »

i actually began to feel sorry for boomer.  damn, sucker punch to the gut.  even galen was floored when he realized what he had done. 

damn, that 8 is a cold manipulative bitch.  she even faked out the queen Bitch herself, ellen. 

i thought it started slow, but ramped up to a pretty good last half.  the whole deal with the piano player was so heavy handed that i wasn't in the least surprised that it was all in her head.  i think the earlier interactions when she's talking to him in front of the barkeeper should have been a warning sign to him to stop serving though.  we can't have a clean ship if you got pilots FUI. 

next week's blurb expands on what i think will be the end point to the show.  i think it could turn out ok, even if they don't leave themselves a way out of it. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »

I was hoping for more of an explanation about Starbuck- I forget,

Spoiler for Hiden:
where was that song from that the final 5 recognized?

with the hole of darkness they've worked themselves into I cannot see this ending on a good note....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »

As the Galactica Turns

I can't believe they actually showed space and a couple of brief shots of ships flying around in space. Next thing you know they will show a space battle!

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 28, 2009, 05:57:15 PM

I was hoping for more of an explanation about Starbuck- I forget,

Spoiler for Hiden:
where was that song from that the final 5 recognized?

with the hole of darkness they've worked themselves into I cannot see this ending on a good note....

would you really ever have expected the show to have a happy ending though?

as for the song, by the end of the episode it had developed into the shows version of 'All Along the Watchtower' from the final episodes of the first half of season four...the same song that the final five were hearing in their heads that drove them together.  that's why Tigh and the others were so shocked to hear the song...Starbuck obviously learned it from someone connected to the final five, and Hera is also tied into it all in some way.  pretty crazy plot development...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »

Disarm, that song is from the end of season 3, not the end of the first half of season 4.

Moliere, why do you want space battles when the entire season has been showing Galactica literally falling apart?  If there had been a space battle by now, there is a very good chance there would be no Galactica.  Be patient.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on February 28, 2009, 08:12:48 PM

Moliere, why do you want space battles
The show is called Battlestar Galactica. It's kind of implied in the name don't you think?
when the entire season has been showing Galactica literally falling apart? 
What? They've shown it falling apart for like 2-3 episodes.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:56:28 PM by cheeba » Logged
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »

Moliere, why do you want space battles when the entire season has been showing Galactica literally falling apart?  If there had been a space battle by now, there is a very good chance there would be no Galactica.  Be patient.
I don't watch House for the interpersonal drama between the hospital staff. I watch House to watch him make fun of people with witty dialgogue. At some point, long ago, this space soap opera got really annoying when it stopped being about space and more about soap opera.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »

Disarm, that song is from the end of season 3, not the end of the first half of season 4

oops...you're right...icon_redface

*Gamertag - disarm78*
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2009, 11:36:09 PM »

I think the finale will have plenty of space battles. It's 2 hours long, after all. There will not be a happy ending as Moore confirmed as much.

We've pretty much got an explanation for starbuck. when sam was rambling on he mentioned a 13th cylon who was an artist who loved to play the piano. I think it's pretty clear from here what starbuck is at least part cylon. i have no clue how hera fits into this all. i think it's clear that cavelle wanted hera all along, which is he must've let boomer escape, instead of simply leading them to the fleet. which makes sense, i guess since he can't respawn going gung ho wouldn't be like him. perhaps hera has a link with all the cylons and he can learn resurrection from her? I dunno, hera is a mystery.

finally rosyln dies. god damn she was just annoying all season long. oh woo is me from her was getting old.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »

There is never any way to satisfy a fanboy.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2009, 01:40:18 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 28, 2009, 11:36:09 PM

finally rosyln dies. god damn she was just annoying all season long. oh woo is me from her was getting old.

I'm not sure if she's dead.   Last I remember was seeing someone going to check her pulse, and then nothing else about her.  from the preview from next weeks episode if she is indeed dead Adama is taking it quite well.  at this point if he lost her I imagine he'd just shut down totally.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 01, 2009, 12:39:01 AM

huh? doesnt shows like these live on their fan(boy)s?

I loved the show, until around 4-5 episodes into season 4, where it became abundantly clear, that there actually WASN'T any Plan(tm), and that the writers were completly lost...

A new one
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »

I made that comment because several people in this thread are doing nothing but bitch about this season.  They are SO disappointed at the lack of space battles and the fact that things aren't moving at light speed towards giving them the answers they want (and they want them NOW) that they're letting this disappointment overwhelm them as they watch the show.  They're missing all the little things that's *gasp* actually giving them answers and tying things together.

For example, did any of you notice the title of Kara's tape?  Or were you paying attention to what Helo's attackers said during the mutiny a couple of episodes ago? Did the lightbulb go off as to what Kara was playing on the piano before the other cylons picked it up?

You all should go read Bear McCreary's blog about the show.  You would find out that the show's writers are not completely lost; you all just want something that the writers aren't ready to give you yet.

One last thing on the space battles.  In the BSG timeline, the second half of season 4 has occurred over a few days.  Hell, the mutiny episodes spanned just a few hours, and that was a two part deal.  The show is called Battlestar Galactica because that's the name of the ship.  In war, ships go extended periods of time without combat.  Do you think US Navy Battleships were under constant engagement during World War II?  Even in a science fiction show, it would be extremely unrealistic to expect the fleet to come under attack multiple times in the course of a week or two.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:26 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 01, 2009, 04:23:22 PM

I made that comment because several people in this thread are doing nothing but bitch about this season.
I've said some good things about this season here and there. But overall this season has sucked, so there's plenty to bitch about.
They are SO disappointed at the lack of space battles and the fact that things aren't moving at light speed towards giving them the answers they want (and they want them NOW) that they're letting this disappointment overwhelm them as they watch the show.  They're missing all the little things that's *gasp* actually giving them answers and tying things together.
Awful logic. Because I complain about the lack of space battles has nothing to do with whether I miss anything or not. In fact, I haven't missed much, though I've had to work out a lot of stuff as this is some pretty complex shit they're throwing out there (see the OO thread). As for answers, they have an entire series worth of questions to answer and they have 3 hours left now. Tick tock.
For example, did any of you notice the title of Kara's tape?
Again, your logic is just poor. Because I want answers and because I like space battles I don't see the tape? It was something about the Opera House.
Did the lightbulb go off as to what Kara was playing on the piano before the other cylons picked it up?
The lightbulb went off for me when Hera handed her the line of dots, which looked nothing like stars. Unfortunately it took another 45 minutes of Emo Starbuck going through this stupid drama with the piano player to get there.
One last thing on the space battles.  In the BSG timeline, the second half of season 4 has occurred over a few days.  Hell, the mutiny episodes spanned just a few hours, and that was a two part deal.  The show is called Battlestar Galactica because that's the name of the ship.  In war, ships go extended periods of time without combat.
They have control over the show, it's not like this stuff really happened and they had to show it. They could have easily had a space battle in the mutiny thing if they wanted to. And yes, in war ships go without combat. This isn't war. This is a TV show. There's a reason this show isn't about the passenger ships riding along with the Battlestar.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 01, 2009, 12:39:01 AM

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »

Lol, you're cute when you lose an argument. I expected the patented pr0ner rolley eyes.  Roll Eyes
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »

Boomer is hot....

Yeah it was kinda slow, but again if you look at it as the lull just after the HUGE storm, it does make sense.  I think have just about had enough of Emo-Starbuck tho...I am ready to move on.  I guess I can't go far though with 3 eps left.

As for a battle- remember, one jump and Galactica is toast...but with Hera kidnapped...I think we are getting ready for a big old fight.

I am assuming it will all end *well* but that being a very relative term.  Still way better than most shows and really it is a fun show to watch.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 02, 2009, 02:24:11 PM

Lol, you're cute when you lose an argument. I expected the patented pr0ner rolley eyes.  Roll Eyes

You couldn't even address all the points in my argument.

Plus, I just noticed you don't even know how many hours of the show are left, since three hours is the incorrect number.  Epic fail.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:55:10 PM by pr0ner » Logged

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »

Quote from: walTer on March 02, 2009, 05:07:38 PM

Boomer is hot....

Yeah it was kinda slow, but again if you look at it as the lull just after the HUGE storm, it does make sense.  I think have just about had enough of Emo-Starbuck tho...I am ready to move on.  I guess I can't go far though with 3 eps left.

As for a battle- remember, one jump and Galactica is toast...but with Hera kidnapped...I think we are getting ready for a big old fight.

I am assuming it will all end *well* but that being a very relative term.  Still way better than most shows and really it is a fun show to watch.

Here's my question. Did Boomer actually make the jump or did she hit the side of the ship and explode? I thought she exploded. I didn't watch next weeks previews though so they may have showed more.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 02, 2009, 07:35:56 PM

Here's my question. Did Boomer actually make the jump or did she hit the side of the ship and explode? I thought she exploded. I didn't watch next weeks previews though so they may have showed more.
No, she made the jump. But the jump so close to the Galactica caused the explosion/implosion whatever it was. Of course this makes one wonder why the cylons have hit the Galactica with so many nukes. Why not just get a bunch of raiders to jump right next to it?
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2009, 08:17:09 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 02, 2009, 08:00:36 PM

No, she made the jump. But the jump so close to the Galactica caused the explosion/implosion whatever it was. Of course this makes one wonder why the cylons have hit the Galactica with so many nukes. Why not just get a bunch of raiders to jump right next to it?
I'm just going to go with it for fear or more montages of Adama weeping over the bulkheads with corncern.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 02, 2009, 08:00:36 PM

Please, oh master of all things Battlestar, explain how the Cylons could get enough ships through the Galactica's defense grid to pull off such a feat?  Though I doubt you could answer that, seeing as how you don't even know how many hours of the show are left this season.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2009, 05:01:24 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on March 03, 2009, 03:41:11 AM

Please, oh master of all things Battlestar, explain how the Cylons could get enough ships through the Galactica's defense grid to pull off such a feat?  Though I doubt you could answer that, seeing as how you don't even know how many hours of the show are left this season.
Jesus Christ what are you, 12? Lol, who gives a shit if there are 3 or 4 or whatever hours left in the season? And master of all things Battlestar? WTF? That's just stupid. I'm just someone who watches the show. I don't profess to know everything about it (indeed, if you've seen the OO thread it's quite the opposite).

As to how they could get ships through, they've managed to do so before. They rammed Galactica with the raider and they've gotten nukes through. Plus if they know the coordinates of the Galactica, and they have many times before, they could jump right on the damn thing if they wanted. Either way, it's just making fun of this new little reveal of theirs. All shows have such little things like that. Don't get all in a huff because I'm critiquing your show, fanboy Tongue slywink.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2009, 06:15:11 AM »

I'm thinking the new info about the FTL jumps damaging Galactica if too close are due to it being in such bad shape.

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:09 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 03, 2009, 05:01:24 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on March 03, 2009, 03:41:11 AM

Jesus Christ what are you, 12? Lol, who gives a shit if there are 3 or 4 or whatever hours left in the season? And master of all things Battlestar? WTF? That's just stupid. I'm just someone who watches the show. I don't profess to know everything about it (indeed, if you've seen the OO thread it's quite the opposite).

As to how they could get ships through, they've managed to do so before. They rammed Galactica with the raider and they've gotten nukes through. Plus if they know the coordinates of the Galactica, and they have many times before, they could jump right on the damn thing if they wanted. Either way, it's just making fun of this new little reveal of theirs. All shows have such little things like that. Don't get all in a huff because I'm critiquing your show, fanboy Tongue slywink.

Jesus Christ what are you, an ass?  I will admit, it is rather funny watching you declare yourself winner of a debate about the show when you can't even get simple facts straight.

You're also clearly a master of sarcasm.

As for your argument: a) that was one raider, and b) nukes are much smaller than raiders.  Please, try again.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »

I don't even know what you two are arguing about now.

There'll probably be an attack pretty soon.  Likely the two reasons why they haven't attacked are A) Cylons are now mortal, B) Hera, the future of the Cylon species is aboard the Galactica and any attack on the fleet while the Galactica is damaged so puts her at risk.

Condition B is taken care of, and Cabil is very willing to sacrifice a lot of Cylons for his goals.

All buffoonery aside, I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends, even if the end is clearly rushed and filling in gaps as best they can.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2009, 06:15:11 AM

I'm thinking the new info about the FTL jumps damaging Galactica if too close are due to it being in such bad shape.

This.

The "bad" Cylons likely aren't aware of the structural problems that Galactica is facing.  It's not exactly policy for a warship to broadcast it's recently discovered vulnerabilities. 

Boomer would be the only one that "might" have an idea but she wouldn't have seen the dramatic effect her jumping so close to Galactica would have caused since at that point she was in the nebulous space between jumps.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2009, 01:53:27 PM »

I agree that the jumps wouldn't normally be catastrophic, but a jump like that is going to cause the Galactica to flex as part of it gets pulled into the subspace rift.  Flexing isn't something the old girl can do very well right now.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2009, 12:42:54 AM »

A slightly better episode that at least drove the plot forward.

Kara slaps Baltar? Really? Kara? Since when does Kara hesitate about punching someone?

What would Helo do with a raptor, start jumping at random through open space?

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2009, 02:38:51 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 09, 2009, 12:42:54 AM

What part of the plot was advanced? 

I thought it was bad the way they made Roslyn appear to be tied to Hera in last week's episode, but this week she's in bed seemingly no more sick than she was before.  What was the point of her collapsing last week?

I don't think he had thought about it, but Adama realized that he had no plan and wasn't going to let it happen. 
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:56 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on March 09, 2009, 02:38:51 AM

What part of the plot was advanced? 
Remember, I said "slightly better" episode.  icon_wink  They advanced the plot towards the eventual abandonment of the Galactica, Kara getting more clues about who/what she is and small steps towards an explanation about Hera's importance.

Quote from: McNutt on March 09, 2009, 02:38:51 AM

I thought it was bad the way they made Roslyn appear to be tied to Hera in last week's episode, but this week she's in bed seemingly no more sick than she was before.  What was the point of her collapsing last week?
Hasn't she been dying of terminal cancer for the last 4 years? She really needs to either die or be magically cured. These long drawn out deathbed scenes are getting tedious.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2009, 02:54:06 AM »

I guess I judge the episodes on how much they make me want to rewatch a scene and this episode had me hitting "erase" as soon as it was over. 

Yeah, Roslin has been on death's door for too long, which is a waste of a great actress.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »

i guessed this would be a start to the finale, and it was.  too bad they couldn't make it more exciting, but whatever.  so close to the end of new episodes, i'll watch what i can.  looks like they are going to scuttle the ship, but the preview hints at another possibility, although it makes little sense considering the state of things. 

good to see that boomer felt guilty at the end, when hera was calling for her.  serves you right, stupid.  hope athena puts a bullet in your head the next time she sees you.  the only way she should live is if she somehow saves hera or kills cabel. sp?

funny comment of the night from the wife:  bsg sure seems to have a thing against the black cylon.  haven't seen him in ages, let alone heard him speak. 

btw, where the frak is kera's cylon buddy?  after earth, he upped and disappeared again. 

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:19 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on March 09, 2009, 12:42:54 AM

Kara slaps Baltar? Really? Kara? Since when does Kara hesitate about punching someone?

This was the worst episode of the season for me.....what a bore.

Good point about Helo, that was weird wasn't it? I understand being distressed about losing Hera, but think man think!!!!

Those "answers" need to come fast, and be well thought out and well written. If they don't, I fear the shows legacy might be tainted by what I feel is a tacked on finale to the show. I'm a huge BSG fan, I love the show, but just like I loved the X-Files, another show that had a weak ending, I look back now and see so many wasted opportunities.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: