http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 06:31:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Starts Tonight! (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 21183 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »

Quote from: Gromit on February 01, 2009, 03:18:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2009, 07:52:53 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on January 31, 2009, 07:45:12 PM

I hope this all ends with Gaeta getting spaced out an airlock.  I have no sympathy for his character, at all.

+ a million.  chop off his other leg and drop him onto a prison ship with a large bullseye on the seat of his pants.

+ a million and one.

- a million and three to even out the playing field. Fracking toaster sympathizers!!    ninja

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 11:26:18 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 01, 2009, 10:14:23 PM

I hope this all ends with Gaeta getting spaced out an airlock.  I have no sympathy for his character, at all.

+ a million.  chop off his other leg and drop him onto a prison ship with a large bullseye on the seat of his pants.

+ a million and one.

- a million and three to even out the playing field. Fracking toaster sympathizers!!    ninja

that would make it still +999,998 in favor of Gaeta getting sent to the pound me in the ass prison ship 'Good Ship Gaeta Pop'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 01, 2009, 04:07:32 AM

I thought Friday's episode was fantastic and one of the best of the series.  I also will join the club wishing for Gaeta to go out of an airlock.  I had a lot of sympathy for his character when he actually was just about to go out the airlock early in S3, but his actions in the most recent episode are rehensible IMO.  Even if you condone his mutiny (I don't) he was far too willing to kill others in cold blood.    I really hope Adama stands by his word about no forgiveness.  I'll be pissed if they wrap up this arc with an "all is forgiven, we need to work together" tact.

I don't necessarily want to see Gaeta tossed out of an airlock (the webisodes really help to understand his motivation here), but I also REALLY don't want to see an amnesty given out when all of this is said and done.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 02, 2009, 10:17:37 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 01, 2009, 04:07:32 AM

I thought Friday's episode was fantastic and one of the best of the series.  I also will join the club wishing for Gaeta to go out of an airlock.  I had a lot of sympathy for his character when he actually was just about to go out the airlock early in S3, but his actions in the most recent episode are rehensible IMO.  Even if you condone his mutiny (I don't) he was far too willing to kill others in cold blood.    I really hope Adama stands by his word about no forgiveness.  I'll be pissed if they wrap up this arc with an "all is forgiven, we need to work together" tact.

I don't necessarily want to see Gaeta tossed out of an airlock (the webisodes really help to understand his motivation here), but I also REALLY don't want to see an amnesty given out when all of this is said and done.

Actually, the webisodes make me even less sympathetic to Gaeta's character than I would have been otherwise.

He's gone from genuinely likable to emo and spiteful ever since he lost his leg.  It's a drastic turn, and one that makes me not like him, at all.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

well, i guess we didn't get to see gaeta and company get spaced, but we did get a much more memorable ending to the mutiny.

can't say i'm at all sad to see him go, but he always brought a presence to his scenes.  rip tom. 

the massacre inside colonial one was brutally handled and it was the first thing i expected him to do after he left the podium.  i half surprised that he didn't get gaeta replaced after his reaction though.  good to see felix was angry by it and his desolation when realized he had made a deal with the devil. 

good to see baltar showing some remorse and strength instead of wallowing in self pity (and another six's arms). 

i fully expected to see tigh or adama pull the trigger personally after what the mutineers caused.  i am also surprised at how easily he retook the ship and his handling of the execution squad. 

i wonder what the survivor count will be after adama goes through the turncoat marines. 

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »

These last two episodes are quite possibly the best two hours of dramatic television I've ever seen. The scene where Roslin has that wild look in her eyes as she says "I'M COMING FOR ALL OF YOU!!!" made every hair on me stand on end. I can't wait to see what happens next with the two loose ends from the last night: the status of Sam and Starbuck, and that weird gash in the wall that Tyrol was staring at.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:52 PM »

yeah it was an amazing episode alright. It seems Baltar is going to be back in the picture much more. He seems to be realizing hiding behind his posse isn't very becoming of him. Especially after his final talk with Gaeta.

I wouldn't say he got the ship back easily. It was more or less people started to realize they made a huge mistake. Like when that guard caught Tyrol. It was spreading throughout in their minds that this wasn't the way to revenge on the cylons and finding a home. At least that's what it appeared during the last march towards CIC. Even Gaeta realized he made a horrible mistake. Especially after the quorom getting executed.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2009, 12:11:03 AM »

I want to know what the damage in the FTL drive meant?  Does it mean that Galactica is finally falling apart?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on February 08, 2009, 12:11:03 AM

I want to know what the damage in the FTL drive meant?  Does it mean that Galactica is finally falling apart?

pretty much how i took it. i was wondering wtf that was. i dont think they showed it for even a second.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »

That sucks they killed off Felix. Even after losing his leg he was always my favorite character, so I was still with him for the mutiny. The VP had always been a bad guy obviously.. and he proved himself with the massacre of the forum when they didn't go along.

Even so, it's turning out to be one hell of a show as it winds down to the last couple of episodes.

For anyone who may not be available to watch it on it's normal friday nights, they have the full episode(s) over at scifi.com also if you have Sprint in Sprint TV scifi channel they have the full episode.

As a side note, anyone else notice Starbuck appearing in an upcoming episode of Nip Tuck?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »

Yeah, since she's been appearing less and less, she's gone out and and done other shows.  Glad to see her get work elsewhere.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »

Wow, Adama looked really pissed there...hee.

Nice to see him take out Gaeta...little weasel.  Although I admit, I liked his character- but killing all those people, or at least being involved, plus the mutiny- time to go.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2009, 04:49:31 PM »

Gaeta wasn't down with the killing, but eventually saw it as necessary.  He still hated killing, which was the difference between him and Zarich.  I don't agree with anything he did, but he's a tragic figure as you can see why he did it and sort of sympathize with him.  Still, he had to go.  No doubt about it.  The question is, who else has to go?  What about that Lieutenant who refused to server under Adama?  Brig? 
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 09, 2009, 04:49:31 PM

The question is, who else has to go?  What about that Lieutenant who refused to server under Adama?  Brig? 

Summary discharge from the military under less than honorable conditions then transfer to a civilian ship.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »

That's what I think.  The problem is that there might not be replacements for all the people that have to go.  I'd much rather see a show dealing with nothing more than that, but it looks like we're going to get Tigh's wife instead.   mad
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 09, 2009, 04:59:00 PM

That's what I think.  The problem is that there might not be replacements for all the people that have to go.  I'd much rather see a show dealing with nothing more than that, but it looks like we're going to get Tigh's wife instead.   mad

Yeah but she's really pissed....
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2009, 05:30:10 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on February 09, 2009, 04:59:00 PM

Dude.  Tigh's wife is the last cylon.  Why would you be mad about an episode featuring her, without having even seen it?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »

Because the last cylon story angle has never been appealing.  I like space battles and I like seeing what happens to humanity when the chips are down.  I don't like the stories dealing with visions or twists. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »

same here, plus i still had a hope that the whole dream sequence thing was a misdirection attempt, like last week's preview with the line about tigh's death.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2009, 12:07:26 AM »

ugh, spoiler tag previews please. not all of us watch them nor want to. usually they show way too much in those.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:47 AM »

There's a spoilers warning in the subject itself. Anything that might or might happen is just speculation. I could have sworn Adama was getting killed off this last episode but it turned out the preview was just a dream the "I've banged every woman on the ship" guy was having. I never expected Felix to face the firing squad like that.

On the official BSG forums they had a poll who's side you were taking Adama or the mutineers. Suprisingly there were a good number of people siding with with Felix. 

Shame that we're coming to the end already. BSG is probably the only tv show I've watched from the very start to the very end. (With the exception of Firefly - but that was only one season.)

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »

well that was kind of a wash-out episode.  not much going on and the fill-in-the-blank plot hole approach left me feeling a little let down.  i know why they did it, but it wasn't a good episode, especially coming from last week's.  they needed to explain ellen's existence and importance, but i always dislike the "18 months ago" approach to ret-conning your story.  i think most people who have been critical of the plot holes will not be satisfied with how this episode was done.  hell, i haven't been critical and i wasn't satisfied. 

looks like next week should be pretty good though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2009, 05:51:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 01, 2009, 11:26:18 PM

Quote from: corruptrelic on February 01, 2009, 10:14:23 PM

+ a million and one.

that would make it still +999,998 in favor of Gaeta getting sent to the pound me in the ass prison ship 'Good Ship Gaeta Pop'.

damn, Gaeta got an easy way out  thumbsdown

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2009, 07:01:52 AM »

too bad Starbuck had to stay behind and watch sam - she'd have blown a cap into Gaeta's brains in no time!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 17, 2009, 07:01:52 AM

too bad Starbuck had to stay behind and watch sam - she'd have blown a cap into Gaeta's brains in no time!

or at least taken his other leg.  it would have been great poetic justice.  however, with the rate they seem to be offing characters I'm, wondering if there will be anyone left at the end of it all.  considering how dark everything has been, I doubt we'll have a cheery ending- I'm half expecting a very weird ending to the series like the final episodes of Evangelion: Neo Genesis (the 26 part series, not the movies they did to make up for the original ending).

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:39 AM »

I didn't realize that Colonial One was so small and it would fit in Galactica's hanger bay. Wow. I thought it was much larger than it turned out to be.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Maybe Starbuck is the jealous god from Kobol.

As stupid and mean as the humans act Im starting to think maybe they should all just die at the final episode smile
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:12:41 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

Well I was going to post my thoughts on the latest episode but on the web I already found that someone else had posted exactly what i was thinking.

Heres a link

Also I was thinking about the Cylon relationship thing..Tigh a Esrth Cylon dates/marries Ellen a Earth Cylon, Chief a Earth Cylon dates Boomer a Skinjob, Anders a Earth Cylon dates Starbuck a..what? Then again that theory has so many holes in it you coujldn't float it with gas from Taco Bell's customers.

Also some more thoughts HERE. Like that 2nd post by Danbot. Maybe Daniel is the Cylon God smile I kinda lean this way. I think Daniel saved Starbuck and resurrected her and made her a new Viper and all. Maybe now Kara is a Cylon, who knows. I think Daniel is out there watching it all. And as to Starbuck being the harbinger of the apocolypse?..I think maybe its the Cylons or some of the Cylons they are talking about.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:14:35 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »

I'm very interested to see what Starbuck really is. We did see her die after all, right? How could she come back out of nowhere like that unless she resurrected somehow? And the ship with the dead lady in it back on earth, I'm guessing that was her ship.

but i always dislike the "18 months ago" approach to ret-conning your story.

+3 on that one. It's one of the main reasons I had a hard time liking Lost. The amount of back and forth flip flops through time gave me a headache. At least BSG only does it rarely, most of it is in-the-now.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »

How many dead chicks are out there?
icon_lol

How did Boomer know where to find the fleet? Hasn't that splinter group been looking for them this whole time?

Ellen was rather confusing. She kept going back and forth between acting like a bitch towards Cyclops and Caprica 6 then being all nice and hospitable.

It seems surprising that Galen is voting to leave the Galactica.

Give military grade weapons to Baltar's religious fanatics? Really?! Isn't this the guy that was responsible for the original human genocide, the guy who betrayed the humans on New Caprica? The friend of my enemy's enemy's friend's enemy is my friend?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »

so, another episode of Battlestar Romantica...sigh, the characters make very little sense to me anymore- they dont act at all like they did a few episodes ago,and yes, arming zealots.????  eek

Has the admiral lost his marbles??

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »

i wasn't surprised to see ellen go all bitchy again.  hell, if my friends who also watch had been over on friday, we would have made a drinking game out of it. 

it is a bit odd that boomer knew exactly where to go.  plot hole. 
it's also screwed up that tigh didn't talk to six as soon as ellen arrived.  plot hole to move liam's death.
the whole time he was with ellen, i kept thinking, 'man, he's a dumb ass".  sleeping with her, then not telling her about six and the baby, then letting her take control of the cylons like an avenging angel.  damnit, tigh, show some strength. 

liam's death was pretty much the focal point for this week's plot.  do what you can do drive six to the edge.

really bummed that there are only 4 episodes left.  also bummed that they don't have enough time for more action until the big finale.  that means likely 1 more meandering episode like this and last week, and a buildup through the next two until the end. 

was i the only one thinking that tigh would be pushed to poison ellen twice?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

I'm not reading through the thread but have a question: any idea why the latest episode of BSG is not yet on Scifi.com?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

That episode was definatley the weakest one of the season so far. Heck I would say it is one of the weakest in the entire series. When it ended i thought "that's it, really?" Just a big filler episode with nothing exciting happening. And as others have pointed out, Adama making a really stupid out of character decision.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 24, 2009, 05:14:27 PM

That episode was definatley the weakest one of the season so far. Heck I would say it is one of the weakest in the entire series. When it ended i thought "that's it, really?" Just a big filler episode with nothing exciting happening. And as others have pointed out, Adama making a really stupid out of character decision.

+1

I've loved Battlestar Galactica so far this season, but the idea to arm a religious sect with a man who you despise as leader? Seriously? A couple weeks after a mutiny???

It is possibly the dumbest moment of the entire series.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on February 24, 2009, 02:56:05 PM

I'm not reading through the thread but have a question: any idea why the latest episode of BSG is not yet on Scifi.com?

AFAIK, Sci-Fi is now instituting an 8 day delay between when they air and when they show up on the web.

As to the episode itself- just watched it last night and it's the first BSG episode I thought was outright bad in a long, long time. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2009, 03:15:54 PM »

looks like tonight we'll finally get that one big question answered after a whole season of wondering 'WTF?' and speculating: what ever happened to Starbuck?

there were 13 tribes, yet only 12 types of cylons.  could there be a 13th Cylon not even the final Cylon knows of?

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 27, 2009, 03:15:54 PM

looks like tonight we'll finally get that one big question answered after a whole season of wondering 'WTF?' and speculating: what ever happened to Starbuck?

there were 13 tribes, yet only 12 types of cylons.  could there be a 13th Cylon not even the final Cylon knows of?

13th cylon is #7 Daniel (mentioned in the episode from two weeks ago).  Supposedly, it's a retcon because Moore realized he screwed up the numbering since we were told from the beginning that there were 12 cylon models but Sharon being "8" meant that there must be 13.  He didn't want to deal with a "surprise" final cylon so created Daniel and then him promptly written out when they did the exposition fest a couple of weeks ago. 

However, supposedly he will play into the new series Caprica in some way.  There is also speculation that Daniel is either Starbuck's father or Starbuck with a gender change. 
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 27, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

There is also speculation that Daniel is either Starbuck's father or Starbuck with a gender change. 

Sigh...

Why oh why do they continue to just make things up as they go along? To be honest, I loved season 3, but...season 4? wow, its been bad so far, with a very very few exceptions.

Looking on it as a whole, I actually wouldnt recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it, due to poor script planning. Of course, I WILL watch the final episodes, having sat through 4 and season so far, but.... Battlestar Romantica is getting a chore to watch, hoping for some fun tidbits

A new one
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »

Name one show that had fantastic script planning across multiple seasons spanning the entire series, that focused on overreaching storyarcs like Battlestar Galactica did? Babylon 5, and Deep Space Nine, are the only ones I can think of. I've never watched B5 (I should...) and DS9 had a lot of filler stories to fill out seven seasons of content. 

What typically happens when writing a show like this (as I understand it, and please correct me in any places where I'm wrong) is that they introduce elements as they go, leave threads open so that they can be picked up on later (ie: At the end of the miniseries we were introduced to five Cylons - and who are the other 7? What's the thing in Baltar's Head? etc. etc.) The show doesn't know if it's going to be picked up for a series, and when it's in production, there's so many hands involved in the writing and production of the stories, and suits moving the stories in other directions beyond what the creator intended, that it's impossible to produce a full series plan - and frankly it will change so much that it's a waste of time.

For example - the New Caprica arc pretty much made introducing additional 'normal' cylons after that point an impossible proposition. After months of hanging out with the Skin-jobs, there really was no explanation as to where the other five were. No point in 'hiding them' during the occupation. They had to write it differently. And while I think that the reveal of the final five was done in such a... stupid... way there really was no way to reveal the final five without them being ultimately disappointing to the fans. You can't build something up that much. The final five had to be characters that 'we knew' because randomly meeting them on planets was going to be ineffective. And the final final reveal should have been the most interesting... but it wasn't.

It does reek of a lack of planning, but I've not let that sully my enjoyment of what has ultimately been a fantastic character drama that I've been enjoying for five years.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 27, 2009, 04:32:54 PM

What typically happens when writing a show like this (as I understand it, and please correct me in any places where I'm wrong) is that they introduce elements as they go, leave threads open so that they can be picked up on later (ie: At the end of the miniseries we were introduced to five Cylons - and who are the other 7? What's the thing in Baltar's Head? etc. etc.)

I think what bugs people about BSG is that, for a long time, each episode opened up with telling the audiences that the Cylons had a Plan.  And it's become abundantly clear that they never did.  In a sense it feels like false advertising. 

Also, while everything doesn't need to be planned out meticulously ahead of time, I do think it's generally advisable that if you introduce a mystery then you at least have an inkling of what the answer to that mystery is.  But BSG writers have been quite forthcoming that they will gleefully introduce new mysteries and have no idea how they will wrap them up.  I think Ron Moore said as much on the latest podcast about Tigh and 6's pregnancy- they had no idea where to go with the story but introduced it because it would be cool and shocking only to find that they had to kill the baby off because they didn't know where to take the story.

For the most part I do think they have done a good job unifying everything.  But recent episodes have had worryingly inconsistent characterization and rather unclear plot points because they consistently cut out scenes of necessary plot exposition for time. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: