http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:33:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome  (Read 1549 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:00:31 AM »

it's going to be a backdoor pilot about a young Adama during the first Cylon War.  looks like we're in for some more cool space battles, and it'll be interesting to see if they keep Caprica around to pair it with.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

Might be ok. I'm very proud that I can say I never watched any of Craprica.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »

a young Adama during the first Cylon War.

I just remembered they did minisodes about a young Adama. I wonder if they'll use the same guy.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 23, 2010, 04:43:12 PM

Might be ok. I'm very proud that I can say I never watched any of Craprica.

that's not really something i would brag about considering that it's turned out to be a pretty interesting show...not quite up to the level of BSG, but i'm enjoying it.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:38:29 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 24, 2010, 02:47:30 AM

that's not really something i would brag about considering that it's turned out to be a pretty interesting show...not quite up to the level of BSG, but i'm enjoying it.

personally I'm glad they canceled Atlantis and freed up money for Caprica; we ended up with a better quality show.  they kept showing sneak peeks of a lot more centurions running around, can't wait to see that in the show even though I'm guessing it'll be the season finale where it happens.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »

Now we're getting into "bad prequel" territory. It would be like the Star Wars prequels; where's the tension, since you know how things turn out? "Great battle, guys, but the Cylons are still gonna blow your worlds to shit". We know who lives and who dies, who's a Cylon, and all of that. I'd rather they just kept on doing Caprica, which is at least back far enough in the timeline and a different genre.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:49 AM »

finally, a trailer from Wondercon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A0ixAkA5bng

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:32:47 AM »

Ooh, it's "The Girl With the Cylon Tattoo".

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:12 AM »

What the frack is with all these new animated series. First it was starship troopers now BSG too?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »

It's not animated.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on October 24, 2010, 10:35:51 AM

Now we're getting into "bad prequel" territory. It would be like the Star Wars prequels; where's the tension, since you know how things turn out? "Great battle, guys, but the Cylons are still gonna blow your worlds to shit". We know who lives and who dies, who's a Cylon, and all of that. I'd rather they just kept on doing Caprica, which is at least back far enough in the timeline and a different genre.

Have you watched any of The Clone Wars?  There's tension aplenty, and we definitely know how things turned out.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:16:36 PM »

Yeah, but this is even more extreme of a situation for me. I haven't seen the Clone Wars, but it is feasible that some of the characters on there can survive the events of the OT and beyond, but 99.99% of humanity is annihilated by the cylons, so unless they happened to be on Galactica/Pegasus/the civilian fleet, they're gone. Any other characters who evade danger in B&C are only postponing their inevitable doom and what they're fighting for is fruitless.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »

Does this mean you won't watch any movies on WWII since we know how that one turns out? 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on March 21, 2012, 08:16:36 PM

Yeah, but this is even more extreme of a situation for me. I haven't seen the Clone Wars, but it is feasible that some of the characters on there can survive the events of the OT and beyond, but 99.99% of humanity is annihilated by the cylons, so unless they happened to be on Galactica/Pegasus/the civilian fleet, they're gone. Any other characters who evade danger in B&C are only postponing their inevitable doom and what they're fighting for is fruitless.

Hey, spoiler: you're going to die someday.  Might as well stop doing anything now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »

Thanks, that point is so relevant.

ETA: I understand what you are saying, just so you don't respond trying to explain your point. Seeing as how my life, at least, is led differently than a sci-fi action series (though perhaps I should try to change that), they really aren't analogous. To me, most of the tension from a series like this comes from:

A) Who will live? Whether it's a big mission, potential sabotage, or some other potentially lethal situation, I need to be invested in a character's survival.

B) Wil the "good guys" win? Regardless of who survives, will the protagonists' struggle find victory?

Both are meaningless as even if the colonials make it out alive, their entire way of life will be obliterated within 50 years. Plus, it's not as if we don't know how the war "ends": big, sexy armistice action.

Fr all of that, I'll give it a shot. I loved the reboot series, so who knows, but it'll be a challenge to get me invested in the new characters.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:32:03 PM by Suitably Ironic Moniker » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on March 21, 2012, 08:16:36 PM

I'm more interested in the big 'splosions than worrying about who lives or dies.  I figure it'll be cool to see the big battles and the old Cylons on the screen, even without the suspense of knowing if they'll live or die.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 11:51:58 PM »

Behold my influence!! Okay, it's still on, but now as a web series only.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on March 21, 2012, 11:51:58 PM

Behold my influence!! Okay, it's still on, but now as a web series only.

Sanctuary started off as just a web series  icon_wink  who knows, maybe it will be popular enough that SciFi will put it on as a regular series.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »

4 episodes up so far.

Because I can,
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »

It's been really good so far. The only criticism I have is that Adama and his co-pilot aren't paticularly deep characters. They're corny stereotypes up to now. Also, dialog is often over the top cheesy, with an over abundance of "frak" this and "frak" that. However, the battle sequences are really well done and the overall look is great. The old school Vipers vs. the original Cylon raiders is really cool to see for those of us who grew up watching the original series.

SyFy is crazy for not developing a series around this.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:26 AM »

This is the basis of the prequel series we should have gotten, not the dull Caprica...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 07:03:50 AM »

Caprica was actually a good show with some really strong acting. I honestly think if it hadn't been burdened with Galactica's backstory, and as a prequel it would have done well on its own. Something along the lines of "I, Robot" but in long form tv series.

That said, this is definitely what they should have made.

Also, anyone notice an actor being reused for this series? Kirby is also a pilot from Pegasus named Allison.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »

There have been a couple of BSG actors reused in this series, actually.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »

Watched the first four episodes via the PS3 YouTube app. Surprised me how good the video quality was. Problem was the YouTube app on the PS3 sucks and locked up 3 separate times causing the system to have to reboot twice. Will have to try it on the 360 next time.

I was pretty damn impressed with what I've seen so far. It moved fast, got you interested quick and felt like Battlestar when it was at its best. The space scenes are pretty fantastic looking. And I loved seeing the Galatica, both inside and out, during its glory days.

Only quip I have so far is the actor playing Adama. He doesn't seem to have much acting chops. I don't see the older Adama in him at all. He's a pretty one dimensional at this point with none of the charisma that Adama should have.

Really hope they change their minds about making this in to a series or some other network picks it up.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »

Totally agree with that assessment of the actor playing young Adama. If anything he reminds me of an overly caffeinated version of Freddy Prinze Jr. from the ghastly Wing Commander movie.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »

Enjoyed the first episodes. I will continue to watch until they turn the series into another debate between the One True GodTM vs. The Gods.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 19, 2012, 12:46:26 AM

This is the basis of the prequel series we should have gotten, not the dull Caprica...

Dunno, I really enjoyed Caprica.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:47 AM »

The final epsiodes were put up a few weeks ago so sat down and watched the entire thing. Really loved it. The second half of it takes place outside of the cockpit and liked that just as much. Really hope they turn this in to a series as it has potential - and there were several loose ends near the end of it. Even if they had the same actor playing Adama I would still watch it - although hope for someone who can act a bit more like Adama other than in their unconvential ways to win a fight.

So if you're on the fence weather to watch this or not I'd say watch it. It's basically like Battlestar Galatica when it was at its best and tells a complete story.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: