http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman: The Animated Series  (Read 1524 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:33:41 AM »

It's just awesome.

I bought all three collections some time in early '05 and thus far have still only completed the first season.

First season was hit or miss with its episodes- mostly hit and some of the stories are movie quality.

I've begun season two and just finished the first part of Robin's something or other and I have to say that this season already surpasses season 1- very taught, very deep, very well done.

Just great stuff.

I remember catching them in original release when i was in high school and I'm glad I ponied up the dough to buy them.

Any other fans out there?
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:03:21 AM »

Big fan.  HUGE fan.

I also love what they did with Superman and JLA, but just the artistic style they used in Batman was always great, and really shows through in the early seasons.

The later seasons, while still very good looking artistically, were just not quite as stylish.  But throughout, the storytelling was always top-notch.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:14:10 AM »

I have the first three sets too and I'm slowly rewatching it from the beginning since I missed quite a few on TV.   Excellent show.

Was there a season after the fourth?   I heard it started going downhill around that time, but I don't remember what I saw from that season.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 03:21:16 AM »

Ive watched it and enjoyed it. But after watch all the Justice League episodes its hard to go back to watching a single batman in a seperate show.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 04:00:18 AM »

"It was a big rock..."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 04:44:35 AM »

These are great.  My sons and I watch them all the time.

This and Samurai Jack are probably the most stylish and "cool" American animation I've seen.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:11:37 AM »

If you like Batman, you should definitely checkout Gargoyles the animated series if you haven't already.

I'm a big fan of Foster's Home for Imaginary friends for non voilent cartoons.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 12:57:55 PM »

I think three seasons was it...rather, there are three collections and I thought that was the sum of it.

The wikipedia entry confuses me so I'm not sure if what I said is accurate.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 03:11:36 PM »

There are four volumes for the DVDs, because the fourth is the Batman and Robin / Gotham Knights series with Tim Drake, Dick as Nightwing, Batgirl, etc.

I picked up the first three volumes a while back ... and I'm actually having trouble going through them. I can't believe it - I loved these shows! And yet, my love of Batman and childish nostalgia aren't enough for me. And it sucks. I'm staring at the second and third set right now, wondering if I'll ever finish them.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »

Yeah, four Batman sets plus how ever many Batman Beyond ends up being.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 01:26:14 AM »

Love it!  The Superman, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Batman Beyond ones are all great as well.  That team did some great stuff.  The Return of the Joker Batman Beyond movie may be my favorite work out of all of them.  I'd love to see more of Batman Beyond, especially the Justice League Unlimited take on him, when he's older.

Some of the other fun episodes I enjoyed were Robin's Reckoning from Batman, For the Man Who Has Everything (JLU), Darkseids first major appearance in Superman that culminates with him killing the police LT, and geez, so many good ones hard to think/list them.

My sons and I look forward to watching new Justice League Unlimiteds Sunday mornings, very sad that it'll be ending soon.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »

I picked up the new Batman: Gotham Knight anthology (it's basically 6 different animated takes on Batman, each with its own writer, director and animation style), really out of curiosity. I think the 2-disc is worth it if only because disc #2 includes four of the more memorable episodes of the early 1990s animated series.

The discs include a preview (strictly just pencil sketches and interviews with voice actors/producers) of the upcoming Wonder Woman animated movie (I think my understanding is it's a direct-to-DVD release like Marvel's various animated flicks, and shooting for a PG-13 rating). While Joss Whedon's planned live Wonder Woman movie crashed a while back, at least Nathan Fillion (Firefly series/Serenity movie) plays Steve Trevor to Keri Russell's Wonder Woman. They seem to have a really bang-up voice cast lined up, including Virginia Madsen, and Alfred Molina (so good in Spider-Man 2) as the main villain.

http://www.whedon.info/Nathan-Fillion-Wonder-Woman,27038.html
Russell and Fillion worked together on the comedy Waitress (which I gave my sister-in-law as a Christmas gift last year).

Anyway, I can't seem to get the official WB site for Gotham Knight to work (it crashes both IE and Firefox when I try it), so here's the Imdb page for it:

Batman: Gotham Knight
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117563/

What's my take? Mixed, but I really liked the last of the 6 short films. That one worked best for me, and left me wishing for more stories by the crew that made it. Hate to be so vague -- I'll try to watch it again and take notes this time.  icon_razz

Overall, I'd say two of the short films didn't work for me, two did (esp. the last). The one in the middle, I just found a little too dense in the dialogue department, and I don't think I was patient enough to get through it.

Although Bruce Timm (who oversaw the beloved early-mid 1990s animated series) is a producer on this, it's mostly in an anime style that you'll probably either love or hate. I just found that for me the anime look worked for me in some cases, and in others just made it look, well, too much like some funky anime series (at times I was getting Marine Boy and Speed Racer flashbacks  icon_razz) and not enough like Batman.  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:06:34 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »

I was rather shocked by the relatively dismal reaction online to Gotham Knight because I really enjoyed it.  Sometimes I would like the story more than the animation or vice versa but, on the whole, I'm glad I bought it.  Certainly worked more for me than the New Frontier animated movie which just completely failed to live up to the amazing source material. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 07:23:38 PM »

My wife and I really enjoyed all 6 of the Gotham Knight shorts; just watched them last night.  I agree with you about preferring the story or the animation on some.  The first one with the kids was my favorite story but I really didn't like the art style at all.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »

Quote from: Scott on April 17, 2006, 01:26:14 AM

My sons and I look forward to watching new Justice League Unlimiteds Sunday mornings, very sad that it'll be ending soon.

Holy crap, I need to look at the dates on these posts first!  I thought I had somehow missed a revival of JLU!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 12:59:24 AM »

I saw the trailer for Gotham Knight and felt that it seemed to be a bit too, 'cartoony', for it to be a prequel to The Dark Knight.  It looked like he was fighting a fire breathing sewer monster and Man-Bat, which is definitely outside the realistic aspect Nolan has been trying to maintain.  I'll see it eventually, but I don't have high hopes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 02:26:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2008, 12:59:24 AM

I saw the trailer for Gotham Knight and felt that it seemed to be a bit too, 'cartoony', for it to be a prequel to The Dark Knight.  It looked like he was fighting a fire breathing sewer monster and Man-Bat, which is definitely outside the realistic aspect Nolan has been trying to maintain.  I'll see it eventually, but I don't have high hopes.

Off-hand, the only really fantastical enemy I can recall was Killer-Croc and, even then, I believe it provided a somewhat grounded explanation.  It's definitely more surreal and stylized than Nolan's take but that's kind of the point- the script for each episode is relatively grounded and then each director gives their own unique take on the visuals and presentation. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 02:54:50 AM »

If you saw a Man-Bat in one of the trailers it was likely one of the "tall tale" exaggerations of Batman in one of the episodes.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 03:53:11 AM »

the new Batman animated series.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2008, 03:53:11 AM

Plastic-Man? Ugh.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »

That was odd. Reminded me of the Adam West Batman, kept expecting to see PoW flash across the screen.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »

It looked pretty cool.  I dug the Silver age look to it.  Hope its more than just Plas and Green Arrow and Blue Beetle.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on July 26, 2008, 02:07:00 PM

It looked pretty cool.  I dug the Silver age look to it.  Hope its more than just Plas and Green Arrow and Blue Beetle.

Fire was briefly shown.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2008, 03:53:11 AM

hmmm...the description says "with a touch of comic relief" and that scares me a bit.  if it's batman providing some of the comic relief, i fear this will suck.  however, if they rely on plastic man and other supporting members for that stuff, then it might work.  i'm not a big fan of the art direction they're taking though.  it's too reminiscent of the superfriends in a lot of places, although the shot of the kid who turns into blue beetle looked like a bad "WB Kids" cheapy cartoon character.   icon_frown

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: