http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 10:11:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batman Begins...ya Im late  (Read 756 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2008, 05:33:49 AM »

Finally got around to this one. Enjoyed it overall. It was a bit slow, disjointed, and such but I expected as much with it trying to explain Batman's originas. I was expecting even more depth than what it had. I like the card at the end smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 05:42:49 AM »

I disliked every Batman movie before it, didn't care for anything Batman-related...but I saw this one three times (twice in theaters).  It is an awesome movie biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »

Batman Begins rocks.  Best Batman film, second being 1989 Batman and third 60's Batman.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »

Now you know why people are so psyched about The Dark Knight, no? smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 04:49:29 AM »

Incredible, incredible movie.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:11:38 AM »

Back in 2005, my newspaper job allowed me some schedule flexibility. So I caught a Tuesday midnight show (technically, 12:20 a.m. Wednesday, after endless trailers) of Batman Begins at a nice theater. I actually saw "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" first because I got to the theater about 9 p.m. and couldn't think what to do to waste 3 hours (was too far from home to go there first).

I got out of the theater about 3:30 a.m. I remember we all gave it a big round of applause at the end and there was a lot of "Wow that was a great movie!" chatter as I walked out into the Gotham City-like darkness to my car.  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I'm sick about Heath Ledger, but hopefully his by all accounts unique Joker portrayal will be a fitting (if tragic, I'd rather have him seen keep growing as an actor) epitaph for him. There are a lot of marketing concerns, but July's a long way off and I think it would be a tougher (e.g., more uncomfortable) marketing situation if it was due out shortly.

One thing to watch in The Dark Knight -- the costume designer said in an interview they were finally able to make the costume's neck in such a way that Bale or his stuntmen can twist their neck around. They seemed to indicate it was "fixed" hard rubber in BB, so he would have to sort of shift his body to look in another direction. Just a little thing, but it should let whomever's playing Batman look a little more natural in terms of physical movement.

I liked the '89 Batman, but I never sensed that Tim Burton had any affinity for Batman. His interest was strictly in villains and their warped henchmen. I wanted to like Batman Returns, but something about watching Danny Devito vomiting black blood as the Penguin seemed completely too far from the comic book Penguin.

I knew once I read about Chris Nolan and writer David Goyer digging through DC Comics' Batman archives for research before writing Batman Begins, that it'd be something special and not another Big Studio Hack Job comic book film. smile Goyer, who a while back was canned as director of "The Flash", I think has some storyline credit still on TDK. Nolan's brother wrote the TDK script so hopefully it'll be as interesting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:20:33 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (it's out!; post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »

Yes the stiff neck Batman ALWAYS bothered me to no end starting with Burton's 89 version. I dont know why the heck they stuck with it so long. Im glad they are giving Batman a working cowl so he can turn his dang head in the next one.

My favorite line from Batman Begins was where they asked the cops in the crushed car after Batman ran over them to describe what he was driving..uhhh black....tank? smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 02, 2008, 08:34:33 AM

Batman Begins rocks.  Best Batman film, second being 1989 Batman and third 60's Batman.

Yup, more or less how I'd rank them too. Jack Nicholson was just meant to play the Joker and he didn't dissapoint and I almost always like a moody Burton film. It will be interesting to see how Ledger's Joker compares, he was a quality actor so I'm looking forward to it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:32 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 04, 2008, 09:37:18 PM

It will be interesting to see how Ledger's Joker compares, he was a quality actor so I'm looking forward to it.

From everything that's out there this Joker is supposed to be a freaking psychopath. To quote Michael Caine:

“I tell you the big surprise in the new ‘Batman’ — Heath Ledger as the Joker,” Caine told reporters. “He’s fantastic. He’s gone in a different direction than Jack (Nicholson) … Jack was like a really scary old, nasty old uncle with a funny face. Heath is like the most murderous psychopath you’ve ever seen on the screen.”

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:15:18 AM »

Yeah, the thing which makes me really love both Batman Begins and the forthcoming film is the extent to which they've embraced Frank Miller's take on the characters.

If you read "The Dark Knight Returns" (and you should), it shows Joker as being a complete psychotic.  He's sociopathic, always plotting, and completely homicidal.  He's not even a serial killer, since that implies a pattern.  Joker just likes killing... but what he has become is perfectly summarized by something he was thinking when Batman was chasing him.  Went something to the effect of "I never counted how many people I've killed, but I know you do."  And that was why he kept racking up the body count: it didn't concern Joker, and it didn't even give him any pleasure really (at least at that point).  But he knew Batman would agonize over every victim, and that was all his reason to keep doing it.

Nicholson was a great Joker, but he still wasn't a complete break from the "cartoon character" kind of Batman.  Frank Miller's Batman lived in a dark world with really evil people.  Batman might not kill, but he sure doesn't lose sleep over breaking knees or paralyzing people.

You might also want to pick up "Batman: Year One".  You will also see many similarities between that comic and Batman Begins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: