http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 06:17:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bathtub/tile refinishing  (Read 492 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »

I'm thinking about bathroom upgrades, but don't want to bust the bank. Anyone used Miracle Method or other reputable refinishers for tubs/ceramic tiles? Seems like a good option from what I can tell, but wondering if anyone here has experience?
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »

We did Bath Fitters which put a shell over our existing old shower. We like it fine, but the caulk they used got all black and moldy after a few months. Our little bathroom doesn't ventilate all that well, so that's part of it, but it is annoying.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 16, 2010, 07:14:56 PM

We did Bath Fitters which put a shell over our existing old shower. We like it fine, but the caulk they used got all black and moldy after a few months. Our little bathroom doesn't ventilate all that well, so that's part of it, but it is annoying.

We also used Bath Fitters and are very happy  with it.  Our caulk is getting black in spots too though (about a year old).  Any remedy for it lildrgn?

Wake up.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »

That's weird they cut corners with caulk... not like it's the most expensive part of the process...

Bath fitters is definitely an option, but I also like the idea of refinishing as being still cheaper than relining.
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:36 AM »

ECO: no remedy. We don't have an exhaust fan in the bathroom so we squeegee the glass as much as possible. Trouble is, the excess water from the faux tile wall pools in the corners where the caulk joins the vertical to the horizontal. We've thought about ripping that out and replacing with silicone or something, but with my track record, I'd probably make it worse. Maybe a true handiman/woman would be able to do it instead?

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:58:32 AM »

Try Lysol's mildew spray. It's just a weak bleach solution, but it works great. (Or you could just use bleach.) It might not revive black caulk -- you might need to replace it -- but it will keep mildew from getting established.

I re-caulked our tub once. It's not hard to do.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 16, 2010, 11:03:25 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on May 16, 2010, 07:14:56 PM

We also used Bath Fitters and are very happy  with it.  Our caulk is getting black in spots too though (about a year old).  Any remedy for it lildrgn?

Clorox bleach pen.  Costs about 2 or 3 dollars and is basically just a bleach gel that you apply to the caulk.  Clears it up in overnight.  Have to do it about twice a year.  I just put it on and leave it.  Then after a few days if normal showers haven't wash away the bleach then you can wipe it off.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »

For the Refinishing of tub and tile, check out : http://www.ximbonder.com/products_detail.asp?id=48

Also comes in a spray can as well. Also recommend using : http://www.ximbonder.com/products_detail.asp?id=53

Use that Etching solution prior to any kind of painting.

Now. With all that said. Is your tub porcelain? I am just assuming it is. Also, do you want something other than white?

I would actually recommend using the etching solution, and then two coats of a Sherwin Williams Epoxy, Duraplate 235 NSF. I feel the Duraplate is a better product than the TileDoc, but the TileDoc is probably a little easier to use. Got any more questions, shoot em my way. It's the company slogan.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »

Clorox bleach pen: Acquired. Applying shortly. Thanks for the tip (pun not intended).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: