http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 09:55:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Cream Sandwiches and the troubles they cause.  (Read 1339 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »

AC/DC is likely going to start recording a new album in May and will likely do a 40 city tour to celebrate 40 years as a band.  I haven't bought an AC/DC album since Razor's Edge in 1990...but I haven't ever seen them live.  I will have to find a way to see them if this tour comes together.

Saw DIO On tour with the scorpions and deep purple a few years back..not long after that he got cancer and sadly died from it.  It wasn't him in his prime, but at least I can say I saw him.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:43:16 PM by ATB » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:00:38 PM »

as a resident of the Seattle area, most of my 'wished' list is based on the bands that were popular before I was old enough to watch live/or see before some member's death.  I would have loved to see the early stages of Seattle's grunge scene with Mother Love Bone, Nirvana and Alice in Chains (Layne) and those still active, like Soundgarden.  I've seen Pearl Jam but would love to see them again. 

outside of those, I have a lot of bands that I would love to see, were time and money freely available.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »

I'd have loved to have seen Oingo Boingo in concert.  Sadly that's obviously not gonna happen now without some reunion tour.  :/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »

I would have loved to have seen Curve but somehow missed them.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »

Guns 'n' Roses...would love to have seen the original lineup in their prime

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

Beastie Boys - clearly can't happen with the full crew anymore, and I would have preferred to see them 20 years ago
Tom Waits - still a small chance, but he's getting old and his concerts sell out immediately
Tool - never had a chance to get tickets, hopefully after their new album

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »

Quote from: disarm on February 17, 2014, 09:28:21 PM

Guns 'n' Roses...would love to have seen the original lineup in their prime

Saw them on tour with Metallica and Faith No More.  Was pretty awesome, though not technically the original lineup as they already had the new drummer.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 17, 2014, 09:42:48 PM

Beastie Boys - clearly can't happen with the full crew anymore, and I would have preferred to see them 20 years ago
Tom Waits - still a small chance, but he's getting old and his concerts sell out immediately
Tool - never had a chance to get tickets, hopefully after their new album

Beastie Boys would probably be my number one answer as well.  I've seen Tool and they were great.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:09:42 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 17, 2014, 09:18:53 PM

I'd have loved to have seen Oingo Boingo in concert.  Sadly that's obviously not gonna happen now without some reunion tour.  :/

Very much this.

I'd also have killed (pun intended) to see Death with Chuck Schuldiner and Christian Death with Rozz Williams.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »

I second Curve and Tom Waits and Beastie Boys (came so close to see them 3 times... frown)

Wednesday I'm going to see Cibo Matto biggrin In recent months I've seen Peter Murphy doing all Bauhaus, New Order doing 5 Joy Division songs as an encore, peter Hook & The Light giving his take on early New Order (which was awesome), Mudhoney, Melvins, Dead Milkmen, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Atoms For Peace, Queens of the Stone Age and Skinny Puppy.

I'm gonna see Gary Numan, Les Claypool, King Buzzo acoustic(!), and maybe even Neil Young in March. In May I'm going to Psych Fest, 3 days of obscure psychedelic bands.

I love Austin biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:38 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 18, 2014, 02:18:51 AM

I second Curve and Tom Waits and Beastie Boys (came so close to see them 3 times... frown)

Wednesday I'm going to see Cibo Matto biggrin In recent months I've seen Peter Murphy doing all Bauhaus, New Order doing 5 Joy Division songs as an encore, peter Hook & The Light giving his take on early New Order (which was awesome), Mudhoney, Melvins, Dead Milkmen, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Atoms For Peace, Queens of the Stone Age and Skinny Puppy.

I'm gonna see Gary Numan, Les Claypool, King Buzzo acoustic(!), and maybe even Neil Young in March. In May I'm going to Psych Fest, 3 days of obscure psychedelic bands.

I love Austin biggrin

Just saw Skinny Puppy Saturday and it was another great show by them, my 3rd time seeing them.  I'll be seeing Gary Numan  again in a few weeks as well.  Also saw that Peter Murphy Bahaus set up here in Boston.   We seem to have similar tastes, if you haven't seen Killing Joke I'd recommend you do if they come around again,  they are getting a bit old, but their last tour was awesome.

Also in two weeks I'll be seeing Throwing Muses with Tanya Donnelly opening, that has a lot of potential to be a great show.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:24:54 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:28 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 18, 2014, 01:09:42 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 17, 2014, 09:18:53 PM

Very much this.

Never going to happen.

When asked during a 2007 phone-in interview on XETRA-FM if he ever had any notions of performing in an Oingo Boingo reunion, Elfman immediately rejected the idea and stated that in the last few years with the band he had begun to develop significant and irreversible hearing damage as a result of his continuous exposure to the high noise levels involved in performing in a rock band. He went on to say that he believes his hearing damage is partially due to a genetic predisposition to hearing loss, and that he will never return to the stage for fear of worsening not only his condition but also that of his band mates.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:22:13 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 18, 2014, 02:22:38 AM

Just saw Skinny Puppy Saturday and it was another great show by them, my 3rd time seeing them.

I'm seeing Skinny Puppy for the 5th time on Feb 26.  Of the hundreds of shows I've seen, SP puts on the best by a mile.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 03:48:34 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 17, 2014, 06:16:19 PM

AC/DC is likely going to start recording a new album in May and will likely do a 40 city tour to celebrate 40 years as a band.  I haven't bought an AC/DC album since Razor's Edge in 1990...but I haven't ever seen them live.  I will have to find a way to see them if this tour comes together.

Saw DIO On tour with the scorpions and deep purple a few years back..not long after that he got cancer and sadly died from it.  It wasn't him in his prime, but at least I can say I saw him.

LOL I saw the thread title and was coming in to post about AC/DC.  I have seen over 250 live concerts, I absolutely live for the concert experience and Ive seen most of the big rock bands from The Allman Brothers to Zepplin but Ive never seen AC/DC.  They are right near the top of my concert bucket list.

My most recent cross offs was seeing The Wall, live.  While it wasnt Pink Floyd but Roger Waters, it was possibly the most amazing concert visually, I have ever seen.  If you get the chance to see it, do yourself a favor and do not hesitate.  Its worth every cent.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 03:54:47 AM »

I had a chance to see The Hives last year and couldn't make it. That made me sad.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 04:04:02 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 17, 2014, 09:25:47 PM

I would have loved to have seen Curve but somehow missed them.

One of the few that I actually got to see.

I agree with the Oingo Boingo love.  By the time I discovered them they had stopped touring.

My Others:

XTC
Talking Heads
The Smiths
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 04:34:10 AM »

Queen w/ Mercury
Extreme
Eric Clapton
Daft Punk
Dio-era Black Sabbath
Deep Purple with Richie Blackmore
The Cars
Glenn Hughes
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 06:10:42 AM »

I saw Springsteen play Wrigley in September 2012, and it was completely awesome. The only blemish was that the Big Man was gone, but his nephew picked up the slack admirably.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »

Quote from: Laner on February 18, 2014, 04:34:10 AM

Queen w/ Mercury

Saw them twice. Also Genesis with Gabriel.

I saw a LOT of the headline acts of the 1970s and early 80s -- I daresay most of them -- but always kind of regretted missing Pink Floyd.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

I love Austin biggrin

Just saw Skinny Puppy Saturday and it was another great show by them, my 3rd time seeing them.  I'll be seeing Gary Numan  again in a few weeks as well.  Also saw that Peter Murphy Bahaus set up here in Boston.   We seem to have similar tastes, if you haven't seen Killing Joke I'd recommend you do if they come around again,  they are getting a bit old, but their last tour was awesome.

Also in two weeks I'll be seeing Throwing Muses with Tanya Donnelly opening, that has a lot of potential to be a great show.

Yeah, it was my 3rd Puppy show- always a blast. I actually took my 15 year-old son who recently started considering them his favorite band in the last 6 months or so.

I'm a huge Martin Atkins fan, but never really got into Killing Joke. Which brings me to my next "wish I'd seen": Pigface (original lineup)

Mike Dunn
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 18, 2014, 02:44:04 PM

I'm a huge Martin Atkins fan, but never really got into Killing Joke. Which brings me to my next "wish I'd seen": Pigface (original lineup)

Pigface had an "original lineup"?  I always just considered them an ever-rotating group of rivetheads.

EDIT:  Speaking of Pigface, I just stumbled across this footage of Ohgr, Reznor, Atkins, and Jorgenson on stage together doing "Suck".  Early 90's, I would assume. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:52:23 PM by Gratch » Logged

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »

I love Austin biggrin

Yeah, it was my 3rd Puppy show- always a blast. I actually took my 15 year-old son who recently started considering them his favorite band in the last 6 months or so.

Then you're raising that boy right.  On the father son front and getting back to the first post, I took my dad to see AC/DC on their last tour.  Not my or his first time seeing them, but was fun to share with him now that I'm much older as they've always been his favorite band and at 60+ not something he'd go to on his own.  I also managed to get our tickets upgraded at the show too from nosebleeds to lower field!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:16:22 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »

Slight derail:  There was a guy at the Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show last week who had what I assumed to be his daughter there with him.  She was riding on his shoulders the entire night, and couldn't have been much older than 7 or 8.

I'm all for diversifying my kid's musical experiences, but a death metal show at 7 years old seems a bit much.  Not to mention that he didn't have any sort of hearing protection for her, and it was one of the loudest shows I've ever been to.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »

Yeah there's an appropriate age.  I was at a Korn show recently with my cousin (hey he had free tickets) and we sat up in the balcony and were next to a cool couple
who had brought their 16 or 17 year old son who was down in the mosh pit.  The dad was clearly and old mosher himself and kept a keen eye on his kid from up in the balcony while letting his kid run solo and not be totally embarrassed by the old man.  It was really rather cute.  That show had a really well run pit too, I saw someone
fall over and immediately a group formed a barrier around the guy that went down and someone helped him up and out.  There was a period of time around here when the moshpit went to complete shit so it was nice to see a well run one again.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 18, 2014, 02:46:24 PM

Pigface had an "original lineup"?  I always just considered them an ever-rotating group of rivetheads.

EDIT:  Speaking of Pigface, I just stumbled across this footage of Ohgr, Reznor, Atkins, and Jorgenson on stage together doing "Suck".  Early 90's, I would assume. 

Well, yeah- the lineup from their first album/set of shows

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 18, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

I love Austin biggrin

Then you're raising that boy right.  On the father son front and getting back to the first post, I took my dad to see AC/DC on their last tour.  Not my or his first time seeing them, but was fun to share with him now that I'm much older as they've always been his favorite band and at 60+ not something he'd go to on his own.  I also managed to get our tickets upgraded at the show too from nosebleeds to lower field!

Yeah, we just realized after the QOTSA show the other night that I've taken him to 12 shows since his first one (Muse) back in '09

Mike Dunn
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:39 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 18, 2014, 03:42:18 PM

That show had a really well run pit too, I saw someone fall over and immediately a group formed a barrier around the guy that went down and someone helped him up and out.  

That has been standard moshpit etiquette (for lack of a better term) for as long as I've been going to metal shows.  Maybe the nu-metal crowd is different animal though...

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 18, 2014, 03:49:31 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 18, 2014, 02:46:24 PM

Pigface had an "original lineup"?  I always just considered them an ever-rotating group of rivetheads.

Well, yeah- the lineup from their first album/set of shows

I never realized the extent of people who had come through the Pigface lineup.  From their Wikipedia page, spoilered because the list is huge:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Martin Atkins (Public Image Ltd, Ministry, Killing Joke, Brian Brain, Murder, Inc.)
    William Rieflin (Ministry, Revolting Cocks, KMFDM, R.E.M., King Crimson)
    Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails, How to Destroy Angels)
    Danny Carey (Tool, Green Jello)
    En Esch (KMFDM, Slick Idiot)
    Nivek Ogre (Skinny Puppy, ohGr)
    cEvin Key (Skinny Puppy, The Tear Garden, Doubting Thomas)
    Paul Barker (Ministry, Lead into Gold, Revolting Cocks)
    Flea (The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fear)
    Chris Connelly (Ministry, Murder, Inc., Damage Manual, Revolting Cocks)
    Genesis P-Orridge (Psychic TV, Throbbing Gristle)
    Dean Ween (Ween, Moistboyz)
    David Yow (The Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid)
    Black Francis (Pixies, Frank Black and the Catholics)
    Joey Santiago (Pixies, The Martinis)
    Steve Albini (Big Black, Rapeman, Shellac)
    Michael Gira (Swans, Angels of Light)
    J.G. Thirlwell (Foetus, Clint Ruin, Steroid Maximus)
    Paul Raven (Killing Joke, Prong, Murder, Inc., Ministry, Godflesh)
    Youth (aka Martin Glover) (Killing Joke, The Fireman)
    Paul Ferguson (Killing Joke, Warrior Soul, Murder, Inc.)
    Jared Louche (Chemlab)
    Alex Paterson (The Orb)
    Duane Denison (The Jesus Lizard, Tomahawk)
    William Tucker (Ministry, Revolting Cocks, KMFDM, Regressive Aid)
    Lydia Lunch
    Charles Levi (My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult)
    Groovie Mann (My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult)
    Buzz McCoy (aka Marston Daley) (My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult)
    Kitty Killdare (My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult)
    Laura Gomel (My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult)
    Michelle Walters (Voodou, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Super Sport, Bomb Gang Girlz)
    Steven Seibold (Hate Dept., Damage Manual, Super Sport)
    Duncan X (Sheep On Drugs)
    Lee Fraser (Sheep On Drugs)
    FM Einheit (Einsturzende Neubauten)
    Jennie Bellestar (The Belle Stars)
    Wayne Static (Static-X)
    Sigtryggur "Siggi" Baldursson (Sugarcubes)
    David Wm. Sims (The Jesus Lizard, Unfact, Rapeman, Scratch Acid)
    Michael Balch (Front Line Assembly)
    Joel Gausten (The Undead)
    Chris Randall (Sister Machine Gun)
    Louis Svitek (Ministry, Mind Funk, M.O.D.)
    JS Clayden (Pitchshifter)
    Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys, Lard, Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine)
    Andrew Weiss (Gone, Rollins Band, Ween, Butthole Surfers, Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine)
    Chris Haskett (Rollins Band)
    Chris Vrenna (Tweaker, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson)
    Jim Marcus (Die Warzau)
    Van Christie (Die Warzau)
    Hanin Elias (Atari Teenage Riot)
    Meg Lee Chin (Crunch, Teknofear)
    Edsel Dope (Dope)
    Naoko Yamano (Shonen Knife)
    Atsuko Yamano (Shonen Knife)
    Michie Nakatani (Shonene Knife)
    Taime Downe (Faster Pussycat, The Newlydeads)
    "Beefcake the Mighty" (aka Michael Bishop) (Gwar, Kepone, American Grizzly)
    "Slymenstra Hymen" (aka Danielle Stampe) (Gwar, Girly Freak Show, Brothers Grim Sideshow)
    Mick Harris (Napalm Death, Scorn, Lull)
    Fallon Bowman (Amphibious Assault, Kittie)
    Jason McNinch (Lick)
    Alex Welz (Lick)
    Krztoff (aka Chris Liggio) (Bile, Black From the Dead, Napalm)
    Douglas McCarthy (Nitzer Ebb)
    Becky Wreck (Lunachicks)
    Mary Byker (Apollo 440, Gaye Bykers on Acid)
    Noko (aka Norman Fisher-Jones) (Apollo 440, The Cure)
    Martin King (Test Dept)
    Gus Ferguson (Test Dept)
    Curse Mackey (Grim Faeries, Evil Mothers)
    BobDog (aka Robert Catlin) (Evil Mothers, Flesh Fetish)
    Algis A. Kiyzs (Swans)
    Marc Heal (Cubanate, C-Tec)
    Jamie Duffy (Acumen Nation, DJ? Acucrack)
    Marydee Reynolds (Chainsuck)
    Jeff Ward (Low Pop Suicide, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Lard, Nine Inch Nails, 1000 Homo DJs)
    Mark Spybey (Dead Voices on Air)
    Lesley Rankine (Ruby, Silverfish)
    Andrew "Fuzz" Duprey (Silverfish)
    DJ Lumis (Bazerk)
    Dirk Flannigan (77 Luscious Babes)
    JP Centera (Darkgroove)
    Matthew Schultz (Lab Report)
    Hope Nicholls (Sugarsmack, Fetchin Bones)
    Lacey Conner (Nocturne, Lords of Acid)
    The Enigma (Human Marvels, Jim Rose Circus, Brothers Grim Sideshow, Show Devils)
    Barbara Hunter (aka Barb Ruchhoft) (Roundhead, The Afghan Whigs)
    Sally Timms (The Mekons)
    Mark Walk (Ruby, Skinny Puppy, ohGr)
    James Teitelbaum (Evil Clowns)
    Flour (aka Peter Conway) (Rifle Sport, Breaking Circus, Flour)
    Lee Popa (Slammin' Watusis)
    Obioma Little
    Sean Joyce (Revolting Cocks)
    Kim Ljung (Zeromancer, Seigmen)
    Alex Møklebust (Zeromancer)
    Martin Bowes (Attrition)
    Laurie Reade (Attrition, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, High Blue Star)
    Anders Odden (Magenta, Apoptygma Berzerk, Cadaver, Celtic Frost, Satyricon)
    Raziel Panic (You Shriek)
    Anna Wildsmith (Sow)
    Cynthia Plaster Caster
    Joe Trump (Elliott Sharp's Carbon, Brian Brain)
    Mike Dillon (Les Claypool's Fancy Band, Ani DiFranco, Critters Buggin)
    Fiona Kilpatrick (Dragster)
    Penn Jillette (Penn & Teller)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:00:17 PM by Gratch » Logged

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 18, 2014, 03:53:39 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 18, 2014, 03:42:18 PM

That show had a really well run pit too, I saw someone fall over and immediately a group formed a barrier around the guy that went down and someone helped him up and out. 

That has been standard moshpit etiquette (for lack of a better term) for as long as I've been going to metal shows.  Maybe the nu-metal crowd is different animal though...

Yeah it was when I first started going to shows, and then at some point the pits got overrun by assholes with no sense of etiquette, but they've seem to come back around. 
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »

I'll say Oingo Boingo too. 

When I was a senior in high school Oingo Boingo came to Houston to play a small club.  It was Valentine's Day weekend and I had a date with a girl I liked the night of the show.  A friend went to the show...
My date was not memorable in any way.  Oingo Boingo played a 3 hour show (Dead Man's Party tour). My friend met the band after the show and has the t-shirt signed by all of them.

Damn... I made the wrong choice.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:43 PM »

I mostly wish I had seen bands in their prime...

Rolling Stones in 1972 (when I was -4)...
AC/DC w/ Bonn Scott in 1979...
Black Sabbath with Ozzy in 1972...
The Who in... I dunno, 1972.

I'm very, very glad to have seen the Hellacopters on their last US tour before breaking up.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »

Ohhh, good question. I'd have to say Beach Boys at their prime, not the shadow of a band that usually tours now, though I did see the touring band years ago. Would have loved to have been at the reunion about a year ago. Another band I'm very fond of is Nickel Creek. They went on hiatus about 5 years ago, and I thought that would be the end of that. I had never seen them in concert and really wished I could. Then just recently, they put out a new single, a new album's coming out, and they're touring again. Had been beginning to take it for granted that they'd never be back together, so it was a nice surprise, and there's always a chance I could end up seeing them.

Another in terms of similar circumstances are The Duhks. For several years, I'd been really into them. I'd even ask the organizer for our local folk music festival if it would be possible to bring them here, to which he stated it would be too expensive as they were too much in demand. Then the lead singer left the band, being replaced with another, did a tour and then announced a hiatus. More recently, there's been some activity with the original lead singer getting back together with the band and recording a new album. So, there's hope yet.

Also would have liked to see Carbon Leaf. Sadly, they seem to have tapered off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:14:05 PM by Rumpy » Logged
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 03:46:11 AM »

This would probably top my bucket list of must see concerts...  Ive seen Pink Floyd and Ive seen Roger Waters (both more than once) but Ive never seen Pink Floyd with Roger Waters.  I would pay what ever they asked to see that show.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 04:30:51 AM »

I'd add David Bowie to the list...especially since I had a chance to see him back in college and passed on it.  Was during the NIN/Bowie tour in the mid-90's, and I was a DJ at the campus radio station.  We got some free tickets to the show, but while I loved NIN, I wasn't really that into Bowie yet.  (This was Earthling/Outside-era Bowie, which is still my least favorite phase of his.)  I decided the 2 hour drive from Pueblo to Denver wasn't worth it just to see NIN as an opening act, so I skipped on the show all together.  Totally kicking myself over that decision, as I'm pretty sure I'd donate my left nut to see a Bowie/NIN show today.  frown

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 04:34:00 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2014, 04:30:51 AM

I'd add David Bowie to the list...especially since I had a chance to see him back in college and passed on it.  Was during the NIN/Bowie tour in the mid-90's, and I was a DJ at the campus radio station.  We got some free tickets to the show, but while I loved NIN, I wasn't really that into Bowie yet.  (This was Earthling/Outside-era Bowie, which is still my least favorite phase of his.)  I decided the 2 hour drive from Pueblo to Denver wasn't worth it just to see NIN as an opening act, so I skipped on the show all together.  Totally kicking myself over that decision, as I'm pretty sure I'd donate my left nut to see a Bowie/NIN show today.  frown

They did a great transition between NiN and Bowie for that tour.  The band members slowly swapping, and NiN doing a Bowie cover leading into Bowie doing a NiN cover.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 19, 2014, 04:34:00 AM

Quote from: Gratch on February 19, 2014, 04:30:51 AM

They did a great transition between NiN and Bowie for that tour.  The band members slowly swapping, and NiN doing a Bowie cover leading into Bowie doing a NiN cover.

Oh sure, rub it in.  slywink

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »

Depeche Mode

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »

I saw Bowie in his Thin White Duke years, right after Station to Station. He was in a huge arena in Detroit and I was way in the back. From where I stood, David Bowie was no more than 2 millimeters tall.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »

i've seen a lot of the bands on my own personal 'must-see' list (including the afore-lamented Curve and Bowie), but i would go for The Young Gods for sure. missed them opening for Ministry's 1995 tour.

also some others:
Brian Eno (in any capacity - missed a talk he did at some college in Vancouver BC a few years back)
pre-mid-80's Tangerine Dream
pre-geriatric Hawkwind
The Police
any King Crimson lineup
Syd Barrett's "The Pink Floyd"

Big Country were on my list, and i recently saw a new line-up with Mike Peters (of The Alarm) on vocals and Derek Forbes (of early-80s Simple Minds) on bass, and it was better than i could have hoped for.

Quote from: Roman on February 19, 2014, 08:54:38 PM

Depeche Mode

they were my favorite band for years. i have seen them on every tour since Devotional (1993 - by far the best of them, but of course Alan Wilder was still in the band) and while my liking of of their post-SoFaD output is not so high, i still have to see them every time they come around. also, the fan base is fun - if ever there was a Grateful Dead or Phish or Jimmy Buffet for black-clad, moody angsty poetry-writing sexually-tortured 1980's art-school types, DM is that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:11:06 AM by hitbyambulance » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »

In summer 2007 I visited my best friend in Boston, and we got to see the Police on their fine reunion tour at Fenway Park, of all places. I still haven't gotten to see a baseball game there, only The Police. Sting's son (!) was the opening act. My brother got to see them in about 1980 or 1981 in Charlottesville, VA, well before they had become big in the states.

The same friend had planned to see Led Zeppelin in late 1979 at the Capital Centre in Largo, MD, but was of course derailed by drummer John Bonham's death just months before the show. So I'm sure he would tell you Led Zeppelin.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:39:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »

So much for that dream.  crybaby

Apparently Malcolm Young has had a stroke and the band is set to announce their retirement tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: