http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:19:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Back to the Future sequel is better?
Two
Three

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to the Future... 2, or 3?  (Read 2676 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »

This came up today.

Curious what people think.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »

I am postponing my vote until I rewatch #2.

gellar
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:07:07 PM »

I don't remember these two well enough...but I liked the one with the "western" theme and Doc shacks up with some women.  I didn't like the one where it was set in the future where Marty turned out to be an overstressed a-hole.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:10:45 PM »

Yeah, but then they left the future and had all of the cool interlacing with the first movie in the 50s!  That was the real meat of it...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 30, 2008, 11:10:45 PM

Yeah, but then they left the future and had all of the cool interlacing with the first movie in the 50s!  That was the real meat of it...

Yeah, that was pretty sweet and sealed my vote for #2.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 30, 2008, 11:13:54 PM

Quote from: kratz on September 30, 2008, 11:10:45 PM

Yeah, that was pretty sweet and sealed my vote for #2.

OK looked it up...I'm voting for #3.  Though I do like the interlacing with the first movie - I remember liking the 3rd one better smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »

I voted for 2, but they're pretty equal in my mind.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 12:08:07 AM »

I loved three and two has actually grown on me. I still dislike some of it but the twisting and inverting it does as it mirrors the events of the first film was remarkable. I also love love love the Joe Flaherty cameo/discussion at the end. But part three got to the heart of what I loved most in the series - Christopher Lloyd's Doc Brown. Wonderful performance and fantastic movie start to finish. That's how you do a third film in a trilogy.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »

I voted 2, but only to tie things up  icon_twisted  I do remember watching 2 alot more than 3 though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 12:44:01 AM »

Three. It was the more interesting one out of the two. But two had hovercars and hoverboards... Hmmm.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 02:01:21 AM »

my vote goes to BTTF2...loved all the tie-ins to events from 1955 and the first movie.  the third wasn't bad, but i just couldn't get into the idea of Doc falling in love, then building a time travelling train...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 02:09:07 AM »

I haven't seen it in years but I'd have to go with BttF2- it may be lacking the heart of the first and third films, but the way it intertwines back into the first movie is brilliant IMO and I'd put it near the top of my favorite time travel stories from any form of media.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:48:54 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 01, 2008, 02:09:07 AM

I haven't seen it in years but I'd have to go with BttF2- it may be lacking the heart of the first and third films, but the way it intertwines back into the first movie is brilliant IMO and I'd put it near the top of my favorite time travel stories from any form of media.

Not to derail the thread, but if you're looking for a good time travel type movie check out Primer.  I thought that was quite interesting and well done for an indie movie. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:09:09 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:04:06 AM »

Conventional wisdom usually dictates that 3 was the better movie. However, 2 holds a sentimental spot in my heart because I went to see it for my 15th birthday. I was a huge fan of the first movie, and going to see the sequel on my birthday was for me, at that moment in time, probably the most awesome thing in the entire world. I remember being totally enthralled - I still look back on it as one of a handful of the best movie-going experiences of my life.

I've rewatched it over the years, and the magic never really held up. It definitely hasn't aged well. Still, I have this weird loyalty to 2, and have often had to defend it against BTTF2-haters.

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:35:37 AM »

Easily #2. It has hoverboards !!
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »

I can see debating whether 1 or 2 is better... bringing #3 into the equation seems on par with comparing The Godfather III to the first two.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on October 01, 2008, 09:22:06 AM

I can see debating whether 1 or 2 is better...

Now you're just talking crazy.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

I don't remember either sequel. I must have seen them when they first came out, but not since then.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »

I can see debating whether 1 or 2 is better... bringing #3 into the equation seems on par with comparing The Godfather III to the first two.

true.  1 & 2 were the Marty McFly story, and 3 was the Doc Brown story.

Because I can,
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »

I would instead compare the series to The Matrix, although the final installments were far less disappointing.  Back to the Future was by far the best of the series, and while the sequels were entertaining, they fell short of the original.  Granted, nowhere near as badly as The Matrix sequels, but enough that I can rewatch the first film at any moment, but it takes a dedicated effort for me to watch either of the sequels.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 03:24:26 PM »

I love BttF III.  It tickles my VSF fancy.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »

I have to go with three. Time-travelling locomotive trumps hoverboard.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »

Definitely BttF II is better in my book.

3 was an initial letdown for me but it has grown on me over time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on October 01, 2008, 03:30:28 PM

the hovering time travelling locomotive at the end seriously jumped the shark.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 03:40:41 PM »

Jumping the shark means that it continued on after that.  That only works if you count the Saturday morning cartoon.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:16 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 01, 2008, 03:39:45 PM

Quote from: kadnod on October 01, 2008, 03:30:28 PM

the hovering time travelling locomotive at the end seriously jumped the shark.

You, sir, are mistaken. Land vehicles that fly for no practical reason was CLEARLY established earlier in the trilogy.   icon_razz

Next you'll be telling me that Teen Wolf Too is a bad movie.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

BttF 3 just felt too much like a retread.  Like they said "man, BttF 2 wasn't well received and was too confusing so lets just try and go back to what everyone liked about BttF 1!" Which isn't what happened at all since they were filmed simultaneously but that's what it felt like. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 04:22:41 PM »

i saw 1 and 3 at the cinema....loved number 1,....was dissapointed with number 3..flying train at the end,i remember me and my friend in the cinema just laughing at that..not a good laugh either..now that i have them all on DVD,i like them all,great films

i think the order for me is 1,2 and 3(thats 1 as favourite,3 as least favourite...not (just)the order i watch them,LOL)

the girl changed from 1 to 2(martys girlfriend)to Elizabeth Shue..not sure that many people noticed TBH

hoverboard scene was great 2 also had the jaws hologram movie...'shark still looks fake'...oh and the max headroom/michael jackson thing in the diner

didnt Crispin Glover try and sue Steven Spielberg/Robert Zemeckis for using his Back to the future 1 footage in back to the future 2?

Biff in BTTF II watching fistful of dollars(or was it 'for a few dollars more'?..nah i think its the first) in the tub with all his women,LOL

anyway,all fun movies though

Teen Wolf Too ....LOL,i went to the cinema to see that as well...Jason Bateman FTW!!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 01, 2008, 04:22:41 PM

didnt Crispin Glover try and sue Steven Spielberg/Robert Zemeckis for using his Back to the future 1 footage in back to the future 2?

I'd never heard that but, according to Wikipedia, looks like that's absolutely the case:

His breakout role was as George McFly in Robert Zemeckis's Back to the Future. Glover did not come to an agreement with the producers to appear in the sequels. Zemeckis did, however, use previously filmed footage from the first movie, and Jeffrey Weissman was introduced using various obfuscating methods (background, sunglasses, rear shot, even upside down) to play the role of George McFly in the sequel. Displeased with the apparent use of body prosthetics on another actor to make audiences believe he was in the movie, Glover then sued the producers (including Steven Spielberg) on the grounds that his contract for the first film did not allow subsequent use of his portrayal of George McFly in new films, and that the use of a false nose and cheekbones on Weissman combined with practiced impressions of Glover's realization of the George McFly character were evidence of such. Because of Glover's lawsuit The Screen Actors Guild (TV/Film performer labor union) would later alter collective bargaining agreements with clauses to the effect that such use would be open to negotiation, with acceptance at the performers' discretion. According to Glover, even some of his close friends thought that he was in the sequel, also.[4] Back to the Future was an international box office success following its release in 1985.

I'm rather surprised as I thought the SAG had already outlawed that after the Salkinds came up with the great idea to split The Three Musketeers into two movies and only pay everyone for one film. 

Must not have been too many hard feelings between Glover and Zemekis though since Glover was in Beowulf. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »

*Edit

Rackafracking Kevin Grey    mad

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 01, 2008, 04:28:34 PM

I'm rather surprised as I thought the SAG had already outlawed that after the Salkinds came up with the great idea to split The Three Musketeers into two movies and only pay everyone for one film. 

i love those films!!!...better than the Disney remake anyway,with Kiefer/charlie and ...had to look on IMDB for Chris O Donnell

the 70s versions had a great cast(how great was Oliver Reed)..might watch them tonight actually,but i havent got the third one(return of the musketeers..with C.Thomas Howell in it..made 1989)

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »

I like both of them but have to go with #3.  #2's vision of the future was too hokey for me (intentionally so, yes, but it was still distracting) and it was too convoluted in terms of storyline.  #3 was much better as a self-contained movie.  And Mad Dog was a more entertaining antagonist.  And it had ZZ Top. smile
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 05:04:53 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 01, 2008, 04:41:52 PM

i love those films!!!...better than the Disney remake anyway,with Kiefer/charlie and ...had to look on IMDB for Chris O Donnell

the 70s versions had a great cast(how great was Oliver Reed)..might watch them tonight actually,but i havent got the third one(return of the musketeers..with C.Thomas Howell in it..made 1989)

The Three and Four Musketeers are two of my favorite fims ever.  I watch them a couple of times a year.  They were the perfect blend of comedy, drama, romance, and action.  Richard Lester was at the top of his game, and George MacDonald Frasier gave him the perfect script.  Thank god they didn't go through with the orginal plan of featuring the Beatles in the roles of the Musketeers.

And don't waste any sweat on the Return of the Musketeers.  It was horrible.  They tried to catch lightning in a bottle again, and got electrocuted.  I mean, poor Roy Kinnear fell off a horse and DIED during the making of it, and they stuckin a body double for the rest of the film, and always came up with lame excuses to not show his face.  And Kim Cattral?  Ugh.  Stay away!  Stay far away!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on October 01, 2008, 05:04:53 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 01, 2008, 04:41:52 PM

The Three and Four Musketeers are two of my favorite fims ever.  I watch them a couple of times a year.  They were the perfect blend of comedy, drama, romance, and action.  Richard Lester was at the top of his game, and George MacDonald Frasier gave him the perfect script.  Thank god they didn't go through with the orginal plan of featuring the Beatles in the roles of the Musketeers.

And don't waste any sweat on the Return of the Musketeers.  It was horrible.  They tried to catch lightning in a bottle again, and got electrocuted.  I mean, poor Roy Kinnear fell off a horse and DIED during the making of it, and they stuckin a body double for the rest of the film, and always came up with lame excuses to not show his face.  And Kim Cattral?  Ugh.  Stay away!  Stay far away!

i do remember seeing the third one,but it was prolly when it got released on VHS and my dad rented it out...can't remember anything

as for The Beatles,i am a big fan of them....but no,not as Muskerteers,LOL...i also heard they(the beatles)were planning on doing lord of the rings at one point as well(John was Gandalf,Paul was Frodo,not sure about George and Ringo)..thankfully that didnt come off either(Magical Mystery Tour film came out of it instead,unfortunately,LOL)...Richard Lester was director of Help! i think(and superman 2,after they(the Salkinds again) fired Richard Donner

as for Back to the Future,anyone remember the cartoon...not sure if Marty was in it,but i am sure the Doc was

EDIT:okay i have just looked it up on IMDB and the cartoon had Dan 'Homer Simpson' Castellaneta as Doc..and Mary Steenburgen and Thomas F wilson reprising thier roles from the films
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:20:38 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »

Wow... I had no idea Crispin Glover wasn't in #2.  Weird.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »

I think he meant to compare sequels not which is best out of the trilogy, Mcfly! Now if we're comparing all of them, then the first is easily the winner.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Exactly.  The first is obviously the best, by far.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 08:22:25 PM »

imho, the second movie is nasty, needlessly violent, lacks Crispin Glover's bizarre presence (having some generic actor play his shrunken role seemed a big mistake, though I understand Glover apparently asked for some astronomical amount of money to reprise his role) and leaves you hanging at the end. You could sorta of say that about the original film but that one tied up its loose ends, and then ended with a teaser.

I also found it a mistake to give Biff (a little bit of a nasty, repellent character like that goes a long way) so much screen time. It had great set pieces, and a lot of gee-whiz technical gimmickry. Zemeckis seems to feel about Part II the way Spielberg does now about The Temple of Doom -- that they just got a little too carried away trying to make a second movie "darker."

I remember seeing it in theaters (it was much anticipated in 1988), but it's kinda clear it didn't have the same charm as the first movie. My recollection is it made a mint its first week but box office dropped steeply after that once people realized it was a darker, less enjoyable film.

I remember a lot of reviews at the time remarked that it's a lot more fun to go back into a past the viewing audience knows, and stage a "fish out of water" storyline there, than it is to go into a future that nobody knows or can really truly anticipate (in 1988 I sure as heck had no thoughts about the Internet, Web pages, or spending so much of my life on message boards online). That's presumably why III went back to the Wild, Wild West.

For me, BthF3 had a little more of the first movie's charm, but it just seemed like a relatively pointless exercise. Although I did buy the trilogy on DVD a few years ago, I think in retrospect the first movie is where they should have just ended it. Like ET, it was a fairly magical experience if you got into it (I know plenty of people who don't like ET or Back to the Future) but it told a nice little self-contained story and it's maybe a shame they felt the need to milk it to death. I think Back to the Future's "DeLorean into the future" ending promised more than the sequel could ever deliver.

Postscript, some months ago here in Virginia, I saw a Delorean (!), still driven, in a shopping center parking lot. I wish I had had my camera with me.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 08:24:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »

I have a friend that owned one for a short time in the last decade.  I was with him when he picked it up. 

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »

I prefer #3. Maybe I was in a confused state the first time I saw #2 but the plot had a few too many tricky movements for me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: