http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 09:55:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to Apple for me...  (Read 715 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »

Here is a little history first...

palm treo to blackberry (many iterations of them), to the Original HTC Evo to the iPhone 4S to the HTC One.

Throughout my time owning smart phones I've always considered myself an Android fan and the only real reason I switched to the 4s was because I was made immediately eligible for an upgrade and figured I would wait until LTE comes to my city.  Two week ago the back of my 4s shattered and I opted to sell it back to sprint for $165 and use my upgrade to get the ONE for $35.  The One is an exceptionally beautiful phone and Android has improved a lot.  I decided to use the 14 day return policy and switch it for the iPhone 5 though.

Here are my reasons fwiw:
1) the touch screen really seems less responsive than what I'm used to on the iPhone.
2)the signal quality was worse for some reason (not that it's ever that good with Sprint anyway)
3) my Apple TV  (which I could still use with my ipad of course).  Still, I like being able to listen to music through are system without having to use the ipad
4) quality of apps.  This issue is a lot less significant now than it used to be, but I still find a higher number of very good quality apps in the apple App Store.
5) Size... I really don't want a huge phone as I do most productive work on the ipad anyway.
6)keyboard.  Swift key is awesome, but I still type faster and more accurately on the apple keyboard.

Anyway, just my $0.02.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »

next year I'll probably go back to the iPhone myself; Windows Phone 8 was a nifty, cheap fling but iOS has the motherfuckin' Kama Sutra memorized.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »

I like Android. I like the hardware of a lot of the Android phones and tablets. But I am with you on most of your reasons (also battery life is far better on an iPhone and supposed to get even better with iOS7). I get that people like more control though, I was the same way when I was a PC guy, but nowadays I just want to use a computer/phone and don't feel like searching for the best mods and hoping they work with the other mods. To each their own.

(Agree with you on football too, just not politics icon_smile)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »

I wish I could go back to life without iPhones, Droids or any other cell phones for that matter.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on June 21, 2013, 09:03:05 PM

I wish I could go back to life without iPhones, Droids or any other cell phones for that matter.

I have to have a phone number for my business, so I own a flip phone. But it never leaves my office. I try to remember to check it for messages every few days.

It will be two years old in January and its battery is effectively dead. Rather than get another flip phone, I'm thinking about getting a smart phone, simply because I need to understand how the technology works.   

I don't expect that it will ever leave my office either, though.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »

One year on and my love affair with Android is still going strong! I do hanker for an iPad though. Someday...
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 21, 2013, 09:35:23 PM

I don't expect that it will ever leave my office either, though.

If you ever have to spend more than two minutes waiting, anywhere, the smart phone is your best friend.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

Right now I am debating getting a Galaxy S4 or HTC One.  I've had iPhones for the past bunch of years, but I see these big, beautiful phones and I really want one.  I had a Droid 2 for about 6 months and hated it, but mostly because I didn't like the phone itself.  I wish I knew 100% that Apple isn't going to announce a larger phone this year, but I am pretty sure they won't and my contract is out, so I can get subsidized pricing on a new phone.  I've played with an S3 and really liked it, so the S4 should be even better.  Haven't messed with the HTC One yet.

My biggest issue will be the fact that I have my music collection sitting on a Macbook using iTunes and my last experience with using some software to get the music onto an Android device was pretty crappy.  None of it is DRM-protected, so hopefully there is a better solution right now.  That being said, I mostly listen to Pandora, so the only time I would not have music would be on flights or on long road trips in spotty coverage.  I don't care too much about apps and the few apps I do use have Android versions.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 21, 2013, 10:30:01 PM

My biggest issue will be the fact that I have my music collection sitting on a Macbook using iTunes and my last experience with using some software to get the music onto an Android device was pretty crappy.

With my Droid Charge adding music meant plugging it into a USB slot and copying the files directly over, as if using a thumb drive.

Maybe other Droids are more difficult?

Nothing compares to the nightmare of using iTunes to manage music.  I love Apple hardware.  It's a shame their software is such shit.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on June 21, 2013, 10:43:04 PM

Nothing compares to the nightmare of using iTunes to manage music.  I love Apple hardware.  It's a shame their software is such shit.

This makes no sense to me. Adding music to a device is a simple as clicking a box. The music is organized in several ways to make it easier. Agreed that iTunes needs cleaning up, but adding music is simple.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »

I've been on a droid device for almost 4 years and I have almost not complaints.

And CK: Hilarious image given who started the thread. biggrin

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 21, 2013, 10:30:01 PM

My biggest issue will be the fact that I have my music collection sitting on a Macbook using iTunes and my last experience with using some software to get the music onto an Android device was pretty crappy.

With my Droid Charge adding music meant plugging it into a USB slot and copying the files directly over, as if using a thumb drive.

Maybe other Droids are more difficult?

I'm guessing you use a PC? The only people I hear this from are those using iTunes on a PC. Oh, and even on Mac holding up iTunes as the standard for Apple's software is weak- they have MUCH better applications than that.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »

I do like the customizability of Android for sure, but I've personally not witnessed an Android phone that provides as smooth of an experience as the iPhone. 

The decision was made so much easier when Google released stellar Gmail, Google Plus, Google Maps and YouTube apps for ios.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »

I still think Apple erred greatly when they didn't get their phones to other carriers besides AT&T a year or two earlier. I don't know what their contractual obligations were to AT&T back then, but I think just about ANY price they might have had to pay to get out of that exclusivity agreement would have been worth it. Plenty of people like me were unwilling to switch to the pathetic AT&T network back in the day and were DYING for an iPhone. Once the original Motorola Droid came out, it was a massive hit, and Android exploded. I still wonder if the iPhone had been on Sprint and Verizon before that phone came out, would Android still be a niche? Perhaps not, but part of me thinks the iPhone would still be crushing the smart phone market as opposed to having a healthy chunk of the market share (but smaller than Android).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 12:38:22 AM »

Quote from: JCC on June 23, 2013, 11:30:03 PM

I still think Apple erred greatly when they didn't get their phones to other carriers besides AT&T a year or two earlier. I don't know what their contractual obligations were to AT&T back then, but I think just about ANY price they might have had to pay to get out of that exclusivity agreement would have been worth it. Plenty of people like me were unwilling to switch to the pathetic AT&T network back in the day and were DYING for an iPhone. Once the original Motorola Droid came out, it was a massive hit, and Android exploded. I still wonder if the iPhone had been on Sprint and Verizon before that phone came out, would Android still be a niche? Perhaps not, but part of me thinks the iPhone would still be crushing the smart phone market as opposed to having a healthy chunk of the market share (but smaller than Android).

I don' think it mattered in the long run really. There are a large portion of people who won't even consider an iPhone because it's Apple and the stigma that goes with it (expensive, simple, etc).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »

Slightly off topic, but for the love of all that's holy, get off of the contracted plans. I have a web only deal through T-Mobile that gives me 100 minutes (but free wifi calling), unlimited web, unlimited text, for $30 a month. Exactly thirty, too, as it's a pay as you go plan.

Anyhow - I've been an Android user for quite a few years now and finally switched over to Apple with their iPhone 5. I for one love it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 01:29:21 AM »

Android isn't a niche. It's got a lot more phone space as an OS than Apple does. It's the manufacturers and handset models that have split. Apple might have more phones per model than any other Android model, but Android is on the majority of active phones and those being sold.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 01:32:23 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 24, 2013, 01:29:21 AM

Android isn't a niche.

No one said it was.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 01:34:42 AM »

Yes what I was saying was that android was a niche before the release of the droid and it may not have blown up if the iPhone hadn't stuck with AT&T for so long.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

Ah.  Overall comprehension of your post was not in evidence.  I got lost in the sentences rather than the overall paragraph structure.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 21, 2013, 11:14:04 PM

Nothing compares to the nightmare of using iTunes to manage music.  I love Apple hardware.  It's a shame their software is such shit.

I'm guessing you use a PC? The only people I hear this from are those using iTunes on a PC. Oh, and even on Mac holding up iTunes as the standard for Apple's software is weak- they have MUCH better applications than that.

I have a Mac Mini and a PC and both are terrible. And how is it weak to hold up Apple's default music software, something they've aggressively pushed - and the only application that can reliably interact with their universe of mobile hardware?

I should say getting music on my iDevices is easy - but getting a lot of music transferred over with cover art, even if the cover art is displayed in iTunes, seems nigh impossible.

On my Android I just had to have a JPG in the same folder and the music player would display it.

I would love an Android iPod Classic but there doesn't seem to be any large-capacity MP3 player available other than the Classic.  crybaby

And lest I get labeled as an anti-Apple fanboy - right now I have an iPhone4 (personal), iPhone5 (work), iPod Video (in the car glovebox), iPad3 (mine) and an iPad mini (daughter).  I love Apple hardware.  I just wish it was a wee bit more open
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:16:22 PM by Exodor » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »

I have a LOT of trouble getting iTunes to sync reliably with my iPhone.  It routinely drives me insane.  I have wireless sync and I don't know it has ever worked, and wired sync routinely turns into this idiotic dance of opening/closing itunes, plugging in/unplugging the phone, rebooting... I don't know why it works so terribly, but for me it sure does (and always has). 

I have a new phone coming up, and I keep going back and forth on iPhone/Android.  I had a Motorola droid... it was decent.  I have iPhone 4S now, and it's mostly really good (certainly way better than the original Droid).  New Android phones are too big, in my opinion, and I know apps generally lag behind (though I'm sure it has improved in the last two years), but we use google stuff at my company, and being able to get a larger amount of memory for less money, etc. are all appealing.  Dunno yet.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »

The wireless sync can be a pain. On a Mac I find it works best if I completely close iTunes, open it back up, let it find my devices itself, then sync.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 24, 2013, 04:24:22 PM

The wireless sync can be a pain. On a Mac I find it works best if I completely close iTunes, open it back up, let it find my devices itself, then sync.

I can't say I've ever had an issue with it but I guess I haven't really had to sync in a couple of years really.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »

Regarding music, I'm somewhat spoiled as I use Google Music with its 25,000 limit.  That coupled with Sprint's unlimited data (which by all means isn't always great) and the fact that I tend to store any music I can't do without on my 64 gig ipad, I rarely struggle with iTunes.  I do agree completely though, iTunes isn't close to ideal and it took me a long time to even figure it out.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »

Yeah, streaming isn't really a viable option for me due to location and the amount of time I spend in the mountains.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: