http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 08:15:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesome App Megathread  (Read 2394 times)
SkyLander
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »

So looking through the Firefox thread and my own questions about apps I thought I would try to compile a thorough post that would have apps from lots of different places all in one nice convenient spot. Hopefully it is okay if this thread is in here since Hardware/Software hell isn't the most busy spot and I wanted input from people as to the apps they liked so I could add it to the op.

This would be any program that is used frequently with add-ons, mobile phones, mac, windows xp-7 so anything that you like post it here and I'll link it and categorize it. I'll start with the heavy hitters and hopefully it will grow from there.

Windows

Mac

MultiPlatform

iPhone
Would just do a search in the app store for it, these are also not necessarily free but they are cheap and useful

Blackberry
Through Blackberries app store

For Blackberry, Windows Mobile and Palm  I kind of need peoples input since I haven't used either in a long time.

Firefox Add-ons

Online Stuff
  • DropBox Online storage/file transfer
  • Mozy Online Backup

System Administration/Development tools

This list starts with what I use frequently and would be rough to live without. Give me your apps and the things you use day to day on any platform that you feel would be useful to a lot of other people that they might not know about. Also looking for freeware/open source/inexpensive apps.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:33:30 AM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »

foobar, the greatest MP3 player you can download and for free!

seriously, this thing is amazing with how you can customize the UI. I mean if you really want to get deep into it you pretty much need to look up some tutorials. It also takes very low cpu usage, you can have multiple play lists loaded at once and easily switch to them via a tab, i have about 30 some gigs of mp3's loaded and it's loads them hella fast when i first added them to the play list.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »

Fences by Stardock
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

Fences looks cool, and I forgot about foobar. Thanks guys.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »

launchy is great and i wouldn't set up a system any other way now

Virtual Desktop - 4 desktops you can switch between and group your open programs by task.  can be buggy, but it works very well most of the time.

notepad++ - the best notepad replacement i have ever used.  plugins for multiple uses, programming language coding, file tabs and sessions, and it works portable. 

Console.  command prompt replacement and it looks pretty slick with a transparent interface.  command prompt portable is pretty slick too.

System administration
all of the pstools apps are great, and fepstools is a slick gui interface for all of them.
powergui - powershell interface, helps ID and script creation
wmic - windows management interface command line.  super fast method to pull data and perform common maintenance tasks on groups of servers.
vnc.  many flavors and some great choices for small administration tasks and help desk stuff
logmein.com - need to help someone far from home who can't figure out basic stuff?  get them hooked up with this and you can remote manage their system without overwhelming them with tech speak. 

as for my major interest, portable applications, there are a number of them.  mostly, i go by what's listed on portableapps.com, both main page and forum, and portablefreeware.com. 

liberkey is a great super suite of portable applications too and make a good site to start.

these are just what i know off the top of my head.  there's a lot more.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

For Virtual desktop is that the powertoys version or VirtuaWin? http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

And I'll have to think if I should have system admin as it's own category or just dump all that under Windows....

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »

i'm using http://www.codeplex.com/vdm.  it works pretty well, but i might try that one if i keep running into problems.

and i would group sys admin stuff into it's category as it isn't just os related. apps like defraggers, search engines like Everything and reg or driver cleaners.

then you have os prep tools, like nlite or vlite, driver compilations, driver backup software.  update systems like autopatcher, and filehippo. 

that liberkey site and portablefreeware.com have a good categorization convention, so i'd recommend something similar. 

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »

Great thread!    Here are mine (many similar)
Windows

Blackberry
  • Bloomberg App
  • Poynt
  • Viigo
  • Berry Weather

Firefox Add-ons (the ones you mentioned plus a lot more)
  • Colorizilla

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »

Can you get all those blackberry apps in Blackberries app store? I'm not sure if Market Samurai really fits since the value version is $167. Along with logmein which is a monthly subscription. I'm sure they are handy but I would like to try to stick to freeware/opensource if possible. If there is enough people that would want me to put those in I can.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:34:14 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:55:35 PM »

logmein has a free version with limited features like no data transfer to the client, but Basic works very well for most users and you can have more than one client (5 iirc) and multiple users with different access levels.  we used it at work for a limited test case and it always did very nicely.  plus there's an iphone app. (not free, unfortunately)  but it also works via safari, or so i've heard

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »

Link to the free version?

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 01:42:41 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 02, 2009, 11:13:07 PM

Can you get all those blackberry apps in Blackberries app store? I'm not sure if Market Samurai really fits since the value version is $167. Along with logmein which is a monthly subscription. I'm sure they are handy but I would like to try to stick to freeware/opensource if possible. If there is enough people that would want me to put those in I can.

Yep, you can get those from the App Store.  Sorry I listed Market Samurai, I looked at my task bar and selected programs from their, forgetting the freeware thing. 

Eco

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 05:48:33 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 02, 2009, 11:57:46 PM

Link to the free version?

not so much a link as an option when you click 'get started' on logmein.com

the free option is second under personal access. 

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:48:11 AM »

All for free...

GIMP - Crazy nice photoshop-lite clone
Eclipse for programming PHP - Very slick open source IDE with tons of plug-ins available
Firebug for Firefox - If you're web programming without it, you're wasting valuable life cycles
Rocketdock - Mac dock clone
WinGrep - Powerful GUI file search program based on the UNIX 'grep' command
PuTTY - Telnet client
CygWin - Linux/unix command line for windows
Vim  - Linux text editor for windows
TortoiseSVN - Pretty specific, but a slick interface for SVN code repository access

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:03:02 AM by Jancelot » Logged
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on July 03, 2009, 06:48:11 AM

All for free...

Eclipse for programming PHP - Very slick open source IDE with tons of plug-ins available
Firebug for Firefox - If you're web programming without it, you're wasting valuable life cycles
PuTTY - Telnet client
TortoiseSVN - Pretty specific, but a slick interface for SVN code repository access

Ok, this guy is speaking Greek to me. Some of you guys play in the deep end of the pool. Look for me in the shallow end. eek

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »

Wow great thread Skylander-I hope you keep updating it.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »

One of my favourite apps of all time is one called Mailwasher. It acts as a sort of in-between that you run before your mail client. It logs into the mail server and fetches the headers and you can see exactly what you have in waiting for you in your account. Then you can mark specific mails such as spam and viruses (which are easily marked), hit the process button deleting all the crap that you've told it to delete, leaving only the good stuff to be picked up by your mail client. This has saved me loads of pain, particularly for my Dad's computer which otherwise would be a minefield of spyware and viruses. Ever since I started using it, I then trained my parents to use it, which cut down dramatically on the crap.

The free version is limited to one account, but there's a Pro version with additional accounts among other features.

www.mailwasher.net
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 07:29:22 PM »

More sys admin and development stuff than I thought there would be. Kind of funny.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

iPhone:

iOwn - inventory for insurance / support (SN, model #, value etc..)
Movies (Flickster) an amazing Movies app that has movie showtimes, DVD releases etc.
Shazam If you don't have it, then get it. Srsly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »

I really like nowplaying for movies and all that.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 06:12:42 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on July 03, 2009, 09:37:54 AM

Quote from: Jancelot on July 03, 2009, 06:48:11 AM

All for free...

PuTTY - Telnet client

Ok, this guy is speaking Greek to me. Some of you guys play in the deep end of the pool. Look for me in the shallow end. eek

Lol, yeah! Count me in on the shallow end of the pool!  I DL'ed Google...  ummm, Sidebar, Tools, Apps? Something that you could create a sidebar on your desktop, filled with stuff you like.  I had a calendar, calculator, dictionary, etc...  but one day, I decided it took up too much space and really I could just use desktop shortcuts for that kind of stuff.   I proceeded to delete everything I could find - and to this day, my desktop still reserves the right-hand two inches for that sidebar.   What's really odd, is that sometimes it does that, and sometimes it doesn't.

Remember, computers make life easier! Right? Don't they?  saywhat

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »

Taskbar shuffle http://www.snapfiles.com/get/TaskbarShuffle.html

can't live without it smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »

Some stuff I have installed:

Information:

Google Earth 5.0 - one of the most awesome programs on the planet

Productivity

Freemind (open-source mind-mapping, very useful)

Open Office 3.0

Security

KeePass (open-source password manager)

Multimedia

CDBurner XP - a freeware, lightweight CD/DVD burning app that is the best of Nero without all the bloated crap.

Handbrake (open-source, awesome video transcoder. e.g. easily get a DVD prepped for use on your iphone/iTouch)

DVDFab 5 - not free, but the dvd ripper aspect is free. Rips DVD's and removes CSS protection

MobiPocket - Prepares PDF, DOC, text and HTML for use on a Kindle.

PC Maintenance and Tools

Macrium Reflect - a free drive/partition imaging tool - very useful

Everything - open-source. A bullet fast PC search tool. Start typing and file results filter immediately. Doesn't search file contents, only file names and folders. "fast" doesn't do it justice. Instantaneous is the right word. Also it updates in real time, using almost no resources.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »

Photoshop replacements:

Paint.net - http://www.paint.net/
Photoscape - http://www.photoscape.org/

Audio/video tools:

MeGUI - http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/MeGUI
Handbrake - http://handbrake.fr/
dBpowerAMP Music Converter - http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm
mp3tag - http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Web Dev:

SharePoint Designer 2007 (formerly FrontPage) - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=baa3ad86-bfc1-4bd4-9812-d9e710d44f42

Misc:

Bulk Rename Utility - http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
Ccleaner ("system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool")- http://www.ccleaner.com/
Defraggler - http://www.defraggler.com/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:57:45 PM by Laner » Logged
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 05:43:23 AM »

Remote Support:
Team Viewer - Great for people who doesn't have admin access to their machine to install stuff

File storage / transport:
Dropbox - Online file storage that you can access from anywhere, even stores a local copy (great for laptops) if you install the dropbox app (if you don't like referral links: Link)

Online backup
Mozy - Free 2 GB online backup or unlimited for $5/mo.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »

Forgot one:

John's Background Switcher - http://www.johnsadventures.com/software/backgroundswitcher/
Periodically changes your Windows background; can pull from your computer, Flickr, Picasaweb, Smugmug, Facebook, & more
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 03:58:55 AM »

If you want to see all of this awesomeness in one place, check out AlternativeTo

http://alternativeto.net/desktop

This site is fantastic. Your apps are described, and then you can easily see alternative applications. For example, for Photoshop, alternatives listed are Gimp and Paint.net, and a bunch of others. This makes it easy to find open-source alternatives to pay software.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 06, 2009, 04:48:54 PM

Forgot one:

John's Background Switcher - http://www.johnsadventures.com/software/backgroundswitcher/
Periodically changes your Windows background; can pull from your computer, Flickr, Picasaweb, Smugmug, Facebook, & more

Very nice.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on July 07, 2009, 03:58:55 AM

If you want to see all of this awesomeness in one place, check out AlternativeTo

http://alternativeto.net/desktop

This site is fantastic. Your apps are described, and then you can easily see alternative applications. For example, for Photoshop, alternatives listed are Gimp and Paint.net, and a bunch of others. This makes it easy to find open-source alternatives to pay software.

Well that kind of nukes the thread heh. I knew of http://windows.iusethis.com/ didn't know of that one.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »

I didn't find the mobile version of that site to be very good so lets keep this going.  When I get a new phone I'll be able to contribute a little more.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »

Blackberry Apps

Viigo (Free)-Best RSS reader out there
Facebook (Free)-Facebook for the BB
Trapster (Free)-Uses built in GPS to show your location and speedtraps
Pandora (Free)-Streaming music on the web
Google Sync (Free)-Keep your contacts/calendar synced with Google
Shazam (Free)-Will identify the music you are listening to
Google Maps (Free)-The Google Maps we all know and love-GPS included
Opera Mini (Free)-Faster than the standard BB browser
Twitterberry (Free)-Twitter, if you're into that kind of thing
Bolt Browser (Beta)-Lightning fast browser.  Currently in beta
Poynt (Free)-Yellow pages with GPS
Palringo (Free)-All-in-one messenger client
Youmail (Free)-Visual voice mail

That's it for now.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 11:56:46 PM »

OP has been updated to this point. Jeff can you link me to which mobipocket you mean? I found the ebook store and there app thing but what you say sounds different than that.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:42 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 07, 2009, 11:56:46 PM

OP has been updated to this point. Jeff can you link me to which mobipocket you mean? I found the ebook store and there app thing but what you say sounds different than that.

Ok, here you go ... MobiPocket Creator 4.0

As far as AlternativeTo nuking this thread, nah ... it's always good to see what GT'ers are using and enjoying. AltTo is just something folks can bookmark for reference.

Besides, about anything you/we create or talk about, someone else has already done it bigger & better on the intarwebs. smile
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:47:23 AM by Jeff » Logged
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 05:34:20 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on July 08, 2009, 02:45:42 AM

Quote from: SkyLander on July 07, 2009, 11:56:46 PM

Ok, here you go ... MobiPocket Creator 4.0

As far as AlternativeTo nuking this thread, nah ... it's always good to see what GT'ers are using and enjoying. AltTo is just something folks can bookmark for reference.

Besides, about anything you/we create or talk about, someone else has already done it bigger & better on the intarwebs. smile

Got it, and yeah I know. That's why I'm adding random things now.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »

i need to revive this a bit.  anybody used a good remote desktop iphone app?  i see there's a few, both using RDP and client/server apps like logmein ignition and vnc clients, but i'm not dropping money on them when reviews are all over the freaking place for pretty much all of them.

jaadu looks pretty slick, but at $25 bucks, i need more than a 3 sentence review to pull the trigger

i would use vnc/logmein as those are pretty slick and should be easy to set up, but i cannot add them to the servers here.

TIA

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »

http://www.macworld.com/article/138718/2009/02/jaadurdp.html That seems longer than 3 sentences.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »

ImgBurn - free CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burning app.

http://www.imgburn.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: