http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Automobile Tires  (Read 655 times)
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:27 PM »

After 28,000 miles it is time for new tires for my '05 GTO. The only quote I have gotten has been ~$1000 for OEM BFGoodrich tires. A couple of factors in my decision is that I do not need all season tires as I park the car as soon as the first snow arrives. I do not really want to spend $1000 for a set of tires but I can if that is what I want. I have been shopping on TireRack.com. Has anyone used them for buying tires? Did you have them delivered at a local tire shop or delivered directly to you? I could have them delivered to my home or work and have the guy who has a repair garage downstairs install them.

So far I am leaning to the General Exclaim UHP tires which are very cheap at $86 a tire but rate high in dry performance and ride comfort. The two things I would be looking for in a new tire. Noice would be the third. I do not drive on the track, dragstrip, or do autocross so these would be used only for the street. A link to the tire choices.

Anyone have some opinions about tires or TireRack?
drifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »

A guy I work with used tire rack for tires for his BMW 740IL.  Key thing is to make sure you have a place that will put them on the rim for you and still be cheaper than just going to the store.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:10:40 AM »

I've bought two sets thru Tire Rack. Once I had 4 snow tires mounted on steel rims and shipped to my house. The other time I ordered 4 tires shipped to a Firestone store half a mile away. The Firestone people talked my wife into signing up her 9-year-old car for lifetime alignments, if only she would pay $200 on the spot for an alignment that she didn't need. I don't think you can do a lot better than Tire Rack unless you know Some Guy. But don't send your wife to the Firestone store to handle the pickup.

(To "get her money's worth", she's had one subsequent unnecessary alignment so far.)

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:46:19 AM »

i put four new tires on my car a few months ago...saved a good bit of money by getting a local shop to match TireRack's price.  because i was actually buying the tires from that shop rather than tire rack, i paid the low price for my tires, and got the perks of buying a full set from the shop...free mounting, stems, balancing, alignment, and lifetime flat repair.   by shopping around a little and finding a local tire shop that would price match, i managed to get a really good deal.  it might be worth your while to see if you can find something similar in your area...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:52 AM »

My only advice is not to cheap out on tires. They're your only contact points to the road after all.
This is especially important since you have somewhat of a powerful car on your hands. The General UHP seemed to have garnered generally positive reviews, but it can't hurt to consult a specialized forum for your car to see what they think.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 05:15:40 PM »

I've used TireRack a few times in the past and it's worked out just fine.  I had the tires delivered to a local shop for mounting and balancing - I believe the shop charged me $25 per corner.  I'd also look at Costco.

gellar
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »

If you're a sam's club member, you can save the cost for balancing, etc. by buying your tires from them.  they also guarantee the dang things for the life of the tire.  i actually joined a sam's club because it was cheaper than purchasing them from anywhere else.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

I used TireRack for my last set.  Totally easy.  Just picked out my tires and found the shop with a high rating and low prices.  Everything was completely smooth.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:43:51 AM »

I did order my tires through TireRack. What a great service they provide. Very informative (called me to inform me about certain issues concerning my automobile and tires) and very friendly when some billing issues arosed concerning my bank. The installer I chose did not prove to be such a nice experience but I chose them because they were a mile from my workplace. I went with some Yokohama ultra high performance summer tires. I only drove a little bit in the dry with them but I can tell they are a lot stickier than the stock tires I had. Very satisfied with TireRack and the tire I chosed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: