http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 12:01:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio / Video Question  (Read 333 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »

So, it is time to replace my 10 year old av receiver (older Onkyo) as it's worn out and won't send sound through the channels and the center at the same time for some reason.  I don't want to spend any more than $350 for the receiver.

I plan on running the 360 and Wii (this isn't really necessary as no one really plays it) and I would like to stream through the receiver from our iphones/ipad.   I see some receivers from Pioneer and Yamaha in my price range that have Airplay built in, but it seems that purchasing an apple TV would be a wiser decision due to the ability to stream videos.  So, if that logic is right, what would be a good receiver in my price range that would be perfect for Apple TV, 360 and Computer (via HDMI)?

Thanks in advance.

Eco 

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »

Oh, and the only speakers that will be used two Mirage front channels and a center channel.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »

if you like Onkyo, something like this may work for you.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120195

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on March 10, 2013, 10:37:15 PM

if you like Onkyo, something like this may work for you.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120195

That's the one I have. Great receiver, lots of HDMI jacks, easy to use for the most part. Has more features than I need of course.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »

Great price on that one too.  I'll put it at the top of my list.  Thanks.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 05:59:45 AM »

I've had this..... http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v375_black_u/?mode=model now for 5 or so months. Thrilled with it. For 299, super impressed. Also it is used as my hdmi hub. Everything just goes into it then to the tv. 4 hdmi ports.

At the time I'm only running two bose speakers, just L and R and it really does the job plus some.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:03:18 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »

I find it interesting that S-Video has all but disappeared on consumer video equipment (yet component and composite remain).  For a lot of older gear/consoles, it provides the best quality you can pull out of them.  But time marches on, I suppose.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:20:54 AM »

Quote from: Laner on March 11, 2013, 09:45:35 PM

I find it interesting that S-Video has all but disappeared on consumer video equipment (yet component and composite remain).  For a lot of older gear/consoles, it provides the best quality you can pull out of them.  But time marches on, I suppose.

Interesting observation, I never really thought bout that. Does seems odd.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on March 12, 2013, 06:20:54 AM

Quote from: Laner on March 11, 2013, 09:45:35 PM

I find it interesting that S-Video has all but disappeared on consumer video equipment (yet component and composite remain).  For a lot of older gear/consoles, it provides the best quality you can pull out of them.  But time marches on, I suppose.

Interesting observation, I never really thought bout that. Does seems odd.

Not really. Thinking about the current batch, and previous batch of consoles, the only system that still supports S-Video right off the back of it is .... none, IIRC. Any S-Video support is based on a bulkhead connector that splits the component channels separately - the S-Video port on the back of the systems is gone.

Component > S-Video > Composite - and getting RCA cables is easy and isn't so "niche" in its placement.

S-Video was for videophiles before component and DVI were more popular. Now that HDMI has all but supplanted even component video, there really is no room for it both from a cable and port cost perspective.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someones purchasing agenda of new hardware to be swayed by the inclusion of S-Video, unless they have some old systems that absolutely required it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: