http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:27:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T to buy T-Mobile  (Read 1378 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »

AT&T Inc said Sunday it would buy Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile USA, in a $39 billion cash-and-stock transaction that would create a new industry behemoth by combining two of the four largest U.S. wireless carriers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42181927/?gt1=43001

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »

Bring on the extra cell towers!  thumbsup
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:04 PM »

Wow. So now it's Verizon vs. AT&T with Sprint sniffing around the edges.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:26:06 PM »

wth?  didn't we just break up Ma bell?

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 20, 2011, 08:37:04 PM

Wow. So now it's Verizon vs. AT&T with Sprint sniffing around the edges.

then we'll have just two choices.  as long as both "sides" remain somewhat equal, we might have a bit of balance and competition. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »

Dang, I was really hoping it would be Sprint that bought T-Mobile.  I've heard nothing but bad things about AT&T's service so I don't really look forward to that coming to T-Mobile, not to mention more expensive plans.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 20, 2011, 09:51:20 PM

Dang, I was really hoping it would be Sprint that bought T-Mobile.

Wouldn't have made sense - two totally different network technologies. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 20, 2011, 10:16:53 PM

There have been rumors about Sprint in talks to buy them for the last few weeks, hence my line of thinking.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:10:27 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 20, 2011, 10:16:53 PM

Sprint was/is going to go into LTE which I thought getting all of T-Mobiles cell towers would make that transition easier. Can't say I'm happy about T-Mobile being bought by ATT.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »

Sucks...while I'm forced to use AT&T for work I will never give them a penny for personal service.  Verizon or Sprint at their worst is better than AT&T at their best.  Great phones, horrible and expensive plans and service.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »

I just switched over from AT&T to Verizon (Picked up an iPhone) and I have been so much happier.  Their service (both customer and cellular) is much better than what I have had to put up with on AT&T.  Poor Tmobile frown

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »

I'm on tmo and have always liked them. Should I be freaking out about their service now that att owns them?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on March 21, 2011, 12:01:25 AM

I'm on tmo and have always liked them. Should I be freaking out about their service now that att owns them?

Millions of iPhone users hungry for bandwidth joining your network?  Naaaaah, no reason to worry.   icon_wink
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »

Sprint actually has a ton of momentum, and the rumored switch from wimax to LTE makes sense.  I think this acquisition was as much of a defensive step as anything.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »

Yes...  You will start experience dropped calls and shitty customer service... oh and your bill will increase $10 a month....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2011, 12:17:32 AM

Millions of iPhone users hungry for bandwidth joining your network?  Naaaaah, no reason to worry.   icon_wink

mmmmm.... bandwidth...... drool drool drool

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:24:13 AM »

crybaby

Quote from: papasmurff on March 21, 2011, 12:21:45 AM

Yes...  You will start experience dropped calls and shitty customer service... oh and your bill will increase $10 a month....

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 02:36:54 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on March 21, 2011, 02:24:13 AM

crybaby

and they're going to kidnap your little dog too!

Because I can,
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:50:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 21, 2011, 02:36:54 AM

Quote from: lildrgn on March 21, 2011, 02:24:13 AM

crybaby

and they're going to kidnap your little dog too!

You think he's kidding but AT&T did kidnap my little dog.  I still miss the little fellow frown
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »

Ugh, Tmobile isn't that much better.

The two combined doesn't really mean a better network, probably just a lot of overlap.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

I will be surprised if this is allowed to go through.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »

This is just because ATT is uptight and doesn't want girls in pink dresses on tv.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »

Bwahaha!!!

AT&T Inc. told the Federal Communications Commission Thursday that the company's $39 billion deal to acquire T-Mobile USA will "promote, not diminish competition" in the U.S. wireless market.

In a 381-page application seeking FCC approval for the transaction, AT&T said the deal was in the best interests of consumers because there is plenty of competition in the wireless market and because T-Mobile USA had "no clear path" to providing next-generation wireless service on its own.

"The absence of T-Mobile from the market will not have an adverse impact on competition," said Joan Marsh, AT&T's vice president of federal regulatory, in a briefing for reporters. T-Mobile is currently owned by Deutsche Telecom AG of Germany.
Last week, the FCC took administrative steps to prepare for the review, which is expected to begin in earnest now. The process is expected to be lengthy. AT&T executives have said they expect it to take at least a year.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 21, 2011, 08:50:05 PM

Bwahaha!!!

AT&T Inc. told the Federal Communications Commission Thursday that the company's $39 billion deal to acquire T-Mobile USA will "promote, not diminish competition" in the U.S. wireless market.

In a 381-page application seeking FCC approval for the transaction, AT&T said the deal was in the best interests of consumers because there is plenty of competition in the wireless market and because T-Mobile USA had "no clear path" to providing next-generation wireless service on its own.

"The absence of T-Mobile from the market will not have an adverse impact on competition," said Joan Marsh, AT&T's vice president of federal regulatory, in a briefing for reporters. T-Mobile is currently owned by Deutsche Telecom AG of Germany.
Last week, the FCC took administrative steps to prepare for the review, which is expected to begin in earnest now. The process is expected to be lengthy. AT&T executives have said they expect it to take at least a year.

And the FCC is going to say, "yes, you're right. Approved."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 03:44:03 AM »

the fcc, promoting consumer corporate prosperity for the sake of us all big business.  that one year is just a way to claim they are working on our behalf while they let the company have its way with us, again.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »

just saw on CNN.com that they have a breaking news headline:

Government moves to block merger between AT&T and T-Mobile

[edit] more details
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:42:10 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »

I just want AT&T to release their Samsung IIGS.   It's time for an upgrade and I have been on Apple's bandwagon since the iPhone 2.0.  Time to see what this Android stuff is all about

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »

I used to work for AT&T Mobility (nee Cingular), and even I don't believe the tripe that the Death Star is peddling that somehow lumping 3/4 of the wireless subscribers under one umbrella would be some boon to competition and consumer power. 

The industry pretty much acts as an oligopoly as it is, with the carriers not making moves until someone else makes them first.  When I was there, I knew the days of unlimited voice was coming, but it took one carrier to pave the way for it, and all the carriers followed suit within a couple months.  It's not like there was any technical aspect to it short of adding a few billing codes.

That being said, if T-Mobile doesn't find some way to survive or get another purchaser, it's going to be sold off piece meal, and AT&T will scavenge all the parts that it wants anyway in a less transparent manner and we'll be right back to the same old story.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »

With the AT&T deal falling apart, what's T-Mobile's next move? T-Mobile's parent company (DT) has already said they aren't interested in investing any more money in them and have been wanting to get out of the U.S. market for a while now. Some of their past decisions (such as sitting on the sidelines during the spectrum auctions everyone else - even sprint - got in on) are going to come back to haunt them.

And unfortunately T-Mobile is still bleeding customers.. even worse than Sprint.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »

If the feds don't approve the merger and no one else steps up to purchase them, I can easily see them sliding into bankruptcy and having their assets sold off piecemeal.  There are still regional carriers that could use some of the spectrum.  AT&T would step in and snap up the pieces that they wanted for a song. 

The feds want to make sure that there are at least two providers available per market.  AT&T has no pressing need to try and monopolize an area, so they'd just snap up the "new" market infrastructure.  The locals and roaming providers would get the leavings.

From being on the inside, I can tell you that Cingular was such a hodgepodge of existing markets.  Even in 2007, we still had a market code that represented the old Houston Cellular lines that had been absorbed six years earlier.  They've perfected the agglomeration of cell networks. And they'll get it done, one way or another.

The dominance of AT&T will happen one way or another, it's only this attempt at doing in one fell stroke in a public manner that may fail.  If need be, they will resort to sneakier methods.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22146&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=33560&mapcode=corporate|wireless-networks-general

Att officially abandons their plan to purchase T-Mobile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: