http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should Horatio Franklin Thomassian Calrissian do?
Go back to the store and pay - 27 (25.2%)
Clerk's mistake not his problem. Enjoy the game! - 45 (42.1%)
The dollar value is what matters here - 8 (7.5%)
The principle is what matters here - 27 (25.2%)
Total Voters: 76

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At What Point is it Stealing? Updated: What Did Hori Do?!  (Read 5371 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 03, 2008, 05:34:34 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on December 03, 2008, 05:28:45 PM

I would keep it and say nothing. Going back and telling them about it could get the clerk fired.
Going back to the store might also land you in the middle of a gang war. What if's are irrelevant.
'What if's are not irrelevant.  It's called Proximate cause or foreseeability.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on December 03, 2008, 05:42:40 PM

I call bullshit on those who say they'd go back to the store and pay for it.  I simply don't believe you.  I'm sure you have some oceanfront property to sell me in Kansas, too.

I wouldn't but I know people who would. Not a lot of people, but a few.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »

I'll point out errors while I'm in the store.  I've done it many times - "did you get this?".  But I'm not going to be inconvenienced once I leave the store by having to drive back, stand in line and then deal with the hassle of trying to give someone my money.

+1

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 03, 2008, 05:44:18 PM

I would keep it and say nothing. Going back and telling them about it could get the clerk fired.
Going back to the store might also land you in the middle of a gang war. What if's are irrelevant.

Well then, why not say "If I return the game, maybe they'll give me a reward and I'll be a hero for the community and possibly get an endorsement deal' to justify going rather than finding an excuse not to return?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »

I call bullshit on those who say they'd go back to the store and pay for it.  I simply don't believe you.  I'm sure you have some oceanfront property to sell me in Kansas, too.
I'm sorry that you have that little faith in humanity.  Most people wouldn't go back and pay, true, but then again we live in an incredibly self-centered society, where it's all about me, myself and I.  Not everyone subscribes to that philosophy, however.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:55:16 PM by Laner » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

I simply don't believe you. 

And you're entitled to that cynicism.

I'm sure you have some oceanfront property to sell me in Kansas, too.

I don't.

I'll point out errors while I'm in the store.  I've done it many times - "did you get this?".  But I'm not going to be inconvenienced once I leave the store by having to drive back, stand in line and then deal with the hassle of trying to give someone my money.

Again. Would you go back if they kept something they charged you for but didn't put in your bag?  Of course as it affects you.  

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 03, 2008, 05:53:42 PM

Again. Would you go back if they kept something they charged you for but didn't put in your bag?  Of course as it affects you.  

But in the case of Horatio, this does not affect you.  And, he has broken no law (at least according to one of our resident lawyers).

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 06:02:06 PM »

I would not return the game. I'm pretty confident that if you've checked all the receipts of everything I've bought, you would find an overcharge very much in favor of the stores. Just last night I bought 2 gallons of milk which were supposed to be on sale but as I looked at the receipt I was overcharged a couple bucks. I didn't go back to the store to get a refund. This happens all the time.

So I'd chalk it up to karma.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on December 03, 2008, 06:02:06 PM

Just last night I bought 2 gallons of milk which were supposed to be on sale but as I looked at the receipt I was overcharged a couple bucks.

That's what you get for going to Food Lion. They have to overcharge you to compensate for all the free milk that Sensuous Lettuce has been getting.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 03, 2008, 04:10:08 PM

So if you find a wallet that has 5.00 and a well worn picture of some adorable but obviously underfed children you'll return it  because the guy is broke, but if the wallet has 500.00 in it and one of those black american express cards, you don't because the guy obviously has no worries about money?

Not sure why the store size makes a difference.

In the case of the latter scenario, I would return it.  However, I would also return late at night and start living in the guy's crawlspace.  He's rich, for cryin' out loud. 

P.S.  When did milk replace the gold standard around here?

Sincerely,

Hetz

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 06:25:33 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 03, 2008, 05:50:00 PM

I'm sorry that you have that little faith in humanity.  Most people wouldn't go back and pay, true, but then again we live in an incredibly self-centered society, where it's all about me, myself and I.  Not everyone subscribes to that philosophy, however.

Call bullshit all you want but I have done it.  Just as I have pointed out banking errors that were in my favor. Or like last year when my boss forgot to record 4 of my vacation days and tried to tell me I still had 4 days to take, and I got my calendar and showed him that I had taken all my time.  It isn't easy, but for me it IS the right thing to do.

Wether intentional or not, if I did not pay for it, it is not mine to keep.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »

I'm sure Arkon acts exactly how he says he does.  I have some friends who can't imagine NOT doing the right thing at all times.  I respect them and wish I could be more like them, to be truthful.

However, I'm also fully aware that I'm flawed and instead of trying to rise above those flaws, sometimes I find myself reveling in them (or, at the very least, living peacefully with them).   icon_redface

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 03, 2008, 06:40:17 PM

I'm flawed

I call bullshit.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 03, 2008, 06:51:49 PM

I'm flawed

I call baloney.

+1
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »

I call bullshit on those who say they'd go back to the store and pay for it.  I simply don't believe you. 

Well call it what you like but I DID go back with $60 in hand in just this exact circumstance. 

morlac00 on PSN
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 03, 2008, 05:49:38 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 03, 2008, 05:44:18 PM

Well then, why not say "If I return the game, maybe they'll give me a reward and I'll be a hero for the community and possibly get an endorsement deal' to justify going rather than finding an excuse not to return?

When I start a softball team, you get to play left field.  You already live out there.

There's nothing in your statement that remotely ties into (reasonable) foreseeability.  Tie that in with the eggshell skull rule, and returning the game could result in your being legally responsible for the agent getting fired, even if they were on a final warning for something else.  

The case of Smith v. Leach Brain & Co., [1962] 2 QB 405, illustrated this rule. An employee in a factory was splashed with molten metal. The metal burned him on his lip, which happened to be premalignant tissue. He developed cancer and died. The defence argued that while the burn was foreseeable, the cancer was not. However, the judges dismissed this, holding that as long as the initial injury was foreseeable, the defendant was liable for all the harm.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 03, 2008, 06:53:41 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on December 03, 2008, 06:51:49 PM

I'm flawed

I call baloney.

+1

My fantastic hair will sometimes blind people to this fact, I know.  But you need to look past the almost perfect pompadour I sport and see the...

...ah, who am i kiddin'.  perfect hair's enough.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 07:11:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on December 03, 2008, 06:19:06 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on December 03, 2008, 04:10:08 PM

So if you find a wallet that has 5.00 and a well worn picture of some adorable but obviously underfed children you'll return it  because the guy is broke, but if the wallet has 500.00 in it and one of those black american express cards, you don't because the guy obviously has no worries about money?

Not sure why the store size makes a difference.

In the case of the latter scenario, I would return it.  However, I would also return late at night and start living in the guy's crawlspace.  He's rich, for cryin' out loud. 

Sincerely,

Hetz

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 03, 2008, 06:56:34 PM

I call bullshit on those who say they'd go back to the store and pay for it.  I simply don't believe you. 

Well call it what you like but I DID go back with $60 in hand in just this exact circumstance. 

Yeah, well I went back with $70, even though the game was only 50.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »

Would you prefer fresh whole rabbit? Or maybe Uranium ore?

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 03, 2008, 07:12:48 PM

Don't be silly, at launch Diablo 2 cost $60.  

morlac00 on PSN
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 03, 2008, 07:20:57 PM

Would you prefer fresh whole rabbit? Or maybe Uranium ore?

icon_lol  read the "customer reviews" for the uranium. 

I had recently purchased a used car from my friend Dr. Emmitt Brown, and was told I needed to purchase nuclear material to enjoy the full benefits of the car. I saw this item on Amazon and thought I was in luck. Unfortunately, the use of uranium in my Delorean had some unforseen consequences. As I entered a California freeway, I knew I had to speed up to 90 MPH, or I would be run off the road. As I approached this speed, many weird things started to happen, and long story short, I was somehow transported to the year 1996. Knowing the past sports outcomes of the last decade, I went to Las Vegas and correctly predicted the winner of every World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals. Now, I am a billionaire and married to my childhood sweetheart, after I killed her husband. Thank you uranium ore, for making my dreams come true.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:40:17 PM by hepcat » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2008, 07:44:12 PM »

If you're going to go with milk, at least go with milk worth of The Fabulous One.   Fabulous

Tuscan Whole Milk, 1 Gallon

Chateau du Lait Blanc, watch out!

One should not be intimidated by Tuscan Whole Milk. Nor should one prejudge, despite the fact that Tuscan is non-vintage and comes in such large containers. Do not be fooled: this is not a jug milk. I always find it important to taste milk using high-quality stemware -- this is milk deserving of something better than a Flintstones plastic tumbler. One should pour just a small dollop and swirl it in the glass -- note the coating and look for clots or discoloration. And the color -- it should be opaque, and very, very white. Now, immerse your nose in the glass and take a whiff. Tuscan transports you instantly to scenic hill towns in central Italy (is that Montepulciano I detect?) --- there is the loamy clay, the green grass of summer days, the towering cypress. And those gentle hints of Italian flowers -- wild orchids, sunflowers, poppies. Then, one takes in the thick liquid and lets it roll across and under the tongue -- what is that? perhaps a hint of a nutty Edam cheese? With Tuscan, you feel the love of every dairyperson involved -- from the somewhat sad and deranged farmhand shovelling steaming cowpies to the bored union milk maiden dreaming of leaving this soul crushing life behind for a job waiting tables for obnoxious American tourists in Siena. But not too fast -- sip gently, slowly, or one is in danger of not only missing the subtleties of the milk's texture and its terroir, but -- if chilled too long -- also of giving oneself a blinding ice cream headache. Nay, savor the goodness that only dairymen and dairywomen working at the apex of their craft can deliver. Tuscan is best drunk young -- no, no, don't cellar this gem -- I guarantee you'll be sorry if you do. I recommend pairing with freshly baked macadamia nut scones. Milk Expectorator gives this one a 92.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2008, 07:47:12 PM »

Tuscan Milk is akin to Blood Diamonds, however.  The U.S. cannot condone the methods used by italians in acquiring the milk (repeatedly punching the cow in the forehead while demanding production?  it's inhuman), so Food Lion (The current Fort Knox of our milk reserves) will not stock it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »

had a similar occurrence happen 6 months ago.  bought a game that was sealed up in one of those hard turtle shell anti theft devices and when the clerk took the game, she didn't remove it.  i didn't catch it (nor did the store checker) until i got home and tried to play it.  after reading reviews, i decided to return it, but faced with what looked like an obvious theft to a manager, couldn't take it back with the shell on, so i had to break the sucker off. 

had i gone back with the item as-is, what manager would have believed me, even with a receipt?  their experience (and mine btw.  i worked retail as an assistant manager in a RatShit store) would tell them that i was full of bs and just trying to keep the game and the money at the same time. 

my point?  managers hear all sorts of bullshit from customers, and tend to be skeptical of anything that sounds fishy.  if a game you had in your possession wasn't paid for, my first instinct would be to question your motives.  perhaps you stole it and then had a pang of guilt over it?  either way, i would be watching you on future visits. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 03, 2008, 08:49:46 PM

had i gone back with the item as-is, what manager would have believed me, even with a receipt? 

Um, most?  Especially with a receipt. I find it extremely hard to believe a store would refuse you and if you would have as a clerk then I'll say that I'm happy that I never shopped there. 

Had that happen a few years ago with a DVD and we didn't have any trouble taking it back to the store with a gift receipt and returning it.  They even let us swap it out for a different movie because the gift wasn't one my wife had a particular desire to have in our collection. 
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 03, 2008, 08:59:40 PM

had i gone back with the item as-is, what manager would have believed me, even with a receipt? 

Um, most?  Especially with a receipt. I find it extremely hard to believe a store would refuse you and if you would have as a clerk then I'll say that I'm happy that I never shopped there. 

Had that happen a few years ago with a DVD and we didn't have any trouble taking it back to the store with a gift receipt and returning it.  They even let us swap it out for a different movie because the gift wasn't one my wife had a particular desire to have in our collection. 

I've also had this happened and returned it, with receipt, with no problems at all.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2008, 09:07:47 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 03, 2008, 07:24:25 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 03, 2008, 07:12:48 PM

Don't be silly, at launch Diablo 2 cost $60.  

Not in Canada, it didn't. Tongue (it actually WAS over 70bux) 1.47CAD per US dollar or 49.99 * 1.4 + 14% tax = ~83.75CAD ... but I got the collectors edition so it was even more. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 09:14:25 PM by Purge » Logged

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »

This happened to me many years ago at a Circuit City or Uncle Ralph's or Egghead Software - I can't recall which, doesn't really matter - I wasn't charged for a game (about $50) and didn't notice (truly I didn't: I was talking to a very pretty girl and more concerned with her than the amount of my purchase which was small enough not to make me stop my conversation with her.)

But when I did discover it, I returned to the store and paid for it.

Funny thing is the clerks looked at me oddly as if I were trying to "get away with some trick" and they called the store manager. I spoke with him while three clerks eyed me suspiciously as if I was going to run away with the game (and they'd need to tackle me) or get them fired. The manager was also suspicious, asking me if I'd opened the game, checking the shrink-wrap, and finally agreeing to let me pay for the game.

I'd didn't expect a thank you or a discount but I was surprised at the hostility from the clerks and the manager's ultimate indifferent "Ehh, let him pay for it."

I left feeling I'd done the right thing but also felt that their store security cameras had taken a still photo of me to post as a potential troublemaking shoplifter.

I never went back.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:07 PM »

Most? As he described it, it could very easily appear to be a situation where someone walked in with a receipt, picked up the same item again in an attempt to get 2 items for the price of one. Unless I was sure that I'd called ahead and explained OR knew that I could be seen entering the store with the item in question by the person who could authorize the removal of the anti-theft device without repurchase, I would be very wary of going back. 

Frankly, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but most clerks are very good within the limited scope of their authority and experience, but step outside that very narrow range, and they stop functioning. They've got to check with the guy who's worked there a week longer than they have, he's got to check with his floor supervisor, he's to got check with the store manager, and he's got to call Corporate... There's paperwork and codes to be punched in, sku's to be scanned, vouchers to be signed, receipts to be checked, items to be inspected, etc. 

Take a Circuit City or Best Buy clerk out of their usual indifferent bored routine and all bets are off.

I've worked very little retail - except in high school and part-time jobs in college, but I've seen situations where people with receipts attempt to get refunds for items by walking in and picking said item off a shelf, then taking them to a register or customer service. And stores are aware of this, so I'd not assume anyone would know I was an honest man.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »

it may be the locations i worked at ingrained in me a certain level of disbelief.  we had all kinds of tricks attempted on us by those with the guile to try something.

this store in question has a return section which forms as soon as you enter the store and there are those waist high barriers to separate this part from the main store, so it's not exactly easy to take a product off the shelf and return it without leaving the store and coming back in.  the exits and the entry are also separate, as opposed to best buy or cc. 

my concern was that the anti theft device in the package (which oddly did not trigger anything on the way out) would instantly make anyone looking suspicious that i had somehow got it out of the store.  as a manager, i would also wonder why the clerk, the customer, and the bag checker somehow all missed the shell.  occam's razor works against you in this kind of situation. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:19:25 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 03, 2008, 10:10:25 PM

it may be the locations i worked at ingrained in me a certain level of disbelief.  we had all kinds of tricks attempted on us by those with the guile to try something.

this store in question has a return section which forms as soon as you enter the store and there are those waist high barriers to separate this part from the main store, so it's not exactly easy to take a product off the shelf and return it without leaving the store and coming back in.  the exits and the entry are also separate, as opposed to best buy or cc. 

my concern was that the anti theft device in the package (which oddly did not trigger anything on the way out) would instantly make anyone looking suspicious that i had somehow got it out of the store.  as a manager, i would also wonder why the clerk, the customer, and the bag checker somehow all missed the shell.  occam's razor works against you in this kind of situation. 

Why is the customer's job to check the shell?  Some places intentionally don't take the shells off because it's designed for the customer to cut off.  And even if it isn't then it's easy for a customer to miss if they are buying quite a few items.  At most stores baggage checkers don't check every bag (Sam's Club is the only place I shop at that does this regularly) so that's not a factor either. 

As for anti-theft devices- half the time the clerks don't clear them properly and it's a toss up if the bag checker actually looks in my bag or just waves me through.  So I've had plenty of times I've entered the store with a return only to have it alarm when I enter.  No one bats an eye. 
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »

Tell him to consider it a "Pay It Forward" gift.

Karma is funny like that.  slywink
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2008, 01:38:32 AM »

i actually had a situation almost like this.  i returned a new unopened game (with receipt) for another new one.  the clerk was a teenager and the manager was hovering over him the entire time.  the kid sees $20 dollars come up on his screen and hands me a twenty dollar bill.  im about halfway to my car when my brain sort of clicks on and im thinking wait a second, i just returned final fantasy xi and picked up oblivion - this was right when oblivion came out.  and then im thinking im almost POSITIVE ffxi must be cheap (mmo w/ monthly fee) and i KNOW its not $20 more.  sure enough i check my new receipt and ffxi is $40 and oblivion $60 - the kid saw 20 come up on his screen and gave it to me.

so i walk back into the store and explain what happened.  the manager proceeds to get REALLY (and i mean really) nasty with the kid.  embarrassingly so.  i really wanted to seriously snap at the guy, i mean he was standing there the entire time watching the whole original transaction.  i reminded him of this and tried my best to get them to laugh it off by explaining "hey, use it as a learning experience - no harm done and now he knows what happened." 

obviously id do the same thing were it to happen again, but wow ill tell you what watching that guy start to bite the kids head off certainly made me question if i shouldnt have just moved on.  maybe then the MANAGER would have been the one to eventually get fired and the kids actually working wouldnt be so damn nervous and make fewer mistakes with this jerk over their shoulder the entire time.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2008, 01:52:44 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 03, 2008, 11:43:41 PM

Quote from: Caine on December 03, 2008, 10:10:25 PM

Why is the customer's job to check the shell?  Some places intentionally don't take the shells off because it's designed for the customer to cut off.  And even if it isn't then it's easy for a customer to miss if they are buying quite a few items.  At most stores baggage checkers don't check every bag (Sam's Club is the only place I shop at that does this regularly) so that's not a factor either. 

As for anti-theft devices- half the time the clerks don't clear them properly and it's a toss up if the bag checker actually looks in my bag or just waves me through.  So I've had plenty of times I've entered the store with a return only to have it alarm when I enter.  No one bats an eye. 

this was one of those hard "tamper proof" devices like the ones you see used in gamestops or best buy.  not something designed for the customer to take off themselves.  quite the opposite in fact.  it took quite a bit of prying to get the damn thing off with the screwdriver. 

and not implied that it's the customer's job, but that if i had missed it along with everyone else, it makes it look less like an accident and more like i pilfered it.  "what, so you want me to believe that a clerk, the bag checker, and you didn't see this big honking thing on your game until you got home?"  that's the kind of reaction i was expecting.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »

I consider it stealing if a person keeps or takes something for which the person didn't pay.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:02 AM »

Eh. If you knew me and still said that, I'd take offense. But you don't, and I understand your perspective because I have just as little faith in humanity as a whole as you do. icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2008, 02:19:40 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 04, 2008, 01:57:09 AM

I consider it stealing if a person keeps or takes something for which the person didn't pay.

Ever browse the forums at work?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2008, 02:27:15 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 04, 2008, 02:19:40 AM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on December 04, 2008, 01:57:09 AM

Ever browse the forums at work?

You can provide endless examples of many different situations; the fact remains that in the above example, the person went to the store to purchase a system and game and ended up only paying for the system. Let's put it to the "mom" test: what would your mom say if you were to tell her that you did this? I know what mine would say. Is he as bad as a bank robber or someone of that ilk? I'd say no, but taking what one hasn't paid for is theft in my book.

For the record, I am allowed to surf the net at work.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2008, 02:32:53 AM »

Well that's hardly ironic, then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: