http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 11:01:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As of this Weekend - Personal Drinking Restrictions Begin  (Read 693 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »

I've been inspired by Kratz's endeavors to stop smoking, so I've decided that beginning this weekend I'm going to almost entirely eliminate alcohol from my life. It's not like I have a drinking problem or anything, as for the most part I'm really only a weekend social drinker. But I've just decided I really don't need it and it doesn't particularly do anything for me other than dent the wallet.

My main motivation is that my son is now entering his teen years and I would like to be a better role model. I had problems with my nephew drinking in his teens and even once stealing liquor from our home and I really don't want a repeat. Another of my motivations is recent struggles I've had with our government re. being payed personal tax refunds I'm owed. In Canada well over 1/2 of the cost of anything containing alcohol goes to government tax revenue and quite frankly I'd rather not contribute to their slush fund anymore!

My plan is to have no alcohol in the house which won't be much of a problem because my wife rarely drinks. As well, when I'm out socializing at a licensed premise, trust me it's a rare event these days, I'm going to limit myself to 2 pints or 2 glasses of wine; already don't drink hard stuff. That may seem like a lot but I'm 6'2" and that's well below my impairment level. I've discussed it with my gaming buddies who often play at my place, and they're very cool with it and are well aware that their better halves will really like the idea. slywink  I quit drinking entirely once many moons ago for 2 years, so I'm confident I can pull it off again.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »

I think I'll have a toast to your success.  When you succeed at your goal, we can pop some bubbly!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »

While I appreciate most of your reasons, I believe that a household prohibition on alcohol may backfire by exoticizing it to your son.  I grew up in a household where there sometimes beer in the fridge, sometimes not.  Mom kept Kahlua in the house for her awesome fudge cakes and there was usually some other liquors around.  Since it was never made a big deal on eway or another, it was never an issue in my household.

Also, watching the news was usually a family/dinner affair and we would discuss things that came on tv.  There was usually a story every week about drinking involved with some stories.  I feel this did more to keep me from glorifying alcohol than anything else.  If it hadn't been around and a topic of conversation, no telling how I would have wound up.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »

Inspired by your example inspired by my example, I will limit myself to no more than 15 shots and 12 - 73 beers when drinking socially.  I will move away from Buffalo, drinking capital of the world.

Actually... I agree with Isgrimnur...

How much booze is in the house (and more importantly, being consumed) currently?

I would hate to inspire a non alcoholic to not drink...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:16:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 02, 2008, 05:38:35 PM

While I appreciate most of your reasons, I believe that a household prohibition on alcohol may backfire by exoticizing it to your son.  I grew up in a household where there sometimes beer in the fridge, sometimes not.  Mom kept Kahlua in the house for her awesome fudge cakes and there was usually some other liquors around.  Since it was never made a big deal on eway or another, it was never an issue in my household.

Also, watching the news was usually a family/dinner affair and we would discuss things that came on tv.  There was usually a story every week about drinking involved with some stories.  I feel this did more to keep me from glorifying alcohol than anything else.  If it hadn't been around and a topic of conversation, no telling how I would have wound up.

All of which closely echo my personal views in the past. I always drank responsibly around my nephew as did everyone else in my household. However, the night my nephew stole liquor on Halloween, his friends did as well with the disastrous result that one kid got badly scarred by mishandled fireworks and 1 got a broken nose in an ensuing fight. It was a real mess and I really don't want to be one of the contributing sources to a mess like that again.

I think what you describe is the case for most kids, but for some like my nephew the temptation is too strong. Now that he's a drinking age adult, he's had to to eliminate alcohol almost entirely from his life; he luckily has a live in girl friend that supports that. As well my brother was killed years ago on a motorcycle while DUTI. I've never really had problems with addictions other than cigarettes and for that I was able to successfully quit cold turkey. I think you have to take it on a family -by- family basis and for me the risk that my son might eventually have a disposition to alcohol addiction is very real. I'm not so naive as to think I still wouldn't have my work cut out for me if he does, but at least by not having it in the home I can eliminate that as possibly ever being a source of the problem.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »

I applaud your efforts.  In order to counterbalance your decline in alcohol consumption, I shall build myself a kegerator.  Then the world will be put back in balance.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »

For what it's worth, the best thing that helped me learn to drink in moderation was observing my parents drink in moderation.

As a counterpoint, it apparently didn't make much of an impact on my brother.
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:56:40 PM »

Ultimately you will do what you gotta do, but...

I would agree with those that say demonstrating to your son what 'drinking responsibly' means by being a responsible drinker is likely the best way.

Removing it from your house will not remove it from his world (and I know you know that...), but it really may only server to create a "What does my dad know?  We don't even have any liquor in the house." attitude.  Or perhaps just a "I can't talk to my dad about this, he wouldn't understand."
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 02, 2008, 09:46:19 PM

Actually, here's the real question.
Do you think it would have helped your brother more if your parents had a 'no booze' rule in the house?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »

Quote from: Unagi on October 02, 2008, 09:57:50 PM

Quote from: warning on October 02, 2008, 09:46:19 PM

Actually, here's the real question.
Do you think it would have helped your brother more if your parents had a 'no booze' rule in the house?

We didn't have a 'no booze' rule in my home when I grew up, but both of my parents aren't, and weren't, really drinkers. I'd say that fact did help my brother as he wasn't much of a drinker in his teens. His heavy drinking occurred for a few years in his early 20's and then resumed big time in his early 30's after he left the the Navy for the merchant marine; he was actually killed during a port of call in the Dominican Republic. I guess the Navy was a good restraint for him and he could only get away with so much.

Anyhow... my son is only one of my reasons, the cost is a pretty good one too. It's probably hard for some of the folks here to appreciate this, but the difference between the cost of liquor in the US and Canada is huge. In fact I'd say on average it's twice as expensive here if not more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: