http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 07:30:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you an "older gamer?"  (Read 6327 times)
JohnathanStrange
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on September 04, 2008, 11:07:57 PM

With my newly purchased Apple IIc I picked up my first computer game:

Along with Ultima IV from above, Bard's Tale holds a special place in my gaming nostalgia:

Kudos for going beyond looks and charm! You enjoyed it?

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 12:27:47 AM »

In my mid 30's and I do feel old for gaming, but I love it. Most of my friends golf or watch sports now. I find myself playing games with their 10 - 15 year old kids while they are off doing something.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:57 AM »

I'm 40 and started with Air Sea Battle on a 2600.  After the Atari flameout in the 80s, I became an exclusive Apple 2/PC gamer.  I got back into consoles with the original Xbox and now have all three latest generation consoles.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 04, 2008, 05:24:16 PM

I grew up thinking Intellivision baseball was heaven-on-earth.  I've been a 'gamer' ever since.

So yeah... I'm an older gamer and then some.

Same here. I played so much Intellivision Baseball that my brother & I literally wore the gamepads down to an unreadable and unusable condition. We also played lots of other Intellivision games. Before that, we even had one of the first Pong machines, from around '76 or '77.

I had my first PC and first PC games back in 1984. Back then, they were called "IBM Clones" or something. My first PC game was APBA Computer Baseball, a text-based conversion of their board/card game. It was my heaven-on-earth at the time.

I'm 42 and have been a gamer for over 30 years, pretty much my whole life if you count board & card games before the digital age.
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 01:54:08 AM »

All I have to add is this was my first home game
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 02:18:34 AM »

33.  Bard's Tale on an Apple II was what hooked me.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 02:19:59 AM »

Vic-20 returned and replaced with a C=64, plenty of hours typing in BASIC and MLX programs.  No keypad on the C=64, so we had little dot stickers to tell us which keys were the numbers.

Rootin' Tootin'

Space Taxi

Atari 2600

Demons to Diamonds

Warlords

Family's first PC was 386/20

My first PC was a 486 DX2/66 with a 405 MB hard drive.  I started with a Diamond Viper V330 video card and wound up gradually upgrading to get 2 3D Monster II 12 MB cards run in SLI mode.  AH, that was grand until one of them went south.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 02:21:46 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 04, 2008, 05:19:32 PM

I'm 31 but with my advanced Brown genes, I look 21  paranoid

fixed  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 03:30:08 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 05, 2008, 02:19:59 AM

Vic-20 returned and replaced with a C=64, plenty of hours typing in BASIC and MLX programs.
Gah - MLX, how I hate thee.  My dad, God bless him, would sit there and read out endless strings of random characters out of Compute!'s Gazette while I typed them in. 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 04:18:54 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 04, 2008, 10:29:18 PM

I am 48 and don't think someone should be considered an older gamer til they hit their 50's. 

51 here, with a 5+ year-old-PC. I'm not much of a gamer anymore because I can't afford to keep up. 16 colors is plenty.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:57 AM »

my first game was one of these handed down from neighbor when i was about 3 or 4 years old...a 1977 APF TVFun (generic Pong) that is tucked in a closet at my parents house now, and still in working condition icon_cool

we followed it up a few years later with a TRS-80 Micro Color Computer...

still have that one as well...complete with the 16k RAM expansion and cassette data recorder.  you could actually get it to play a few lame games if you were willing to take the time to program them all in BASIC.  sadly, that was the last 'computer' my family owned until we picked up a well-used 286 quite a few years later.  i missed out on having a C64 in the house, but played my fair share of great games thanks to an uncle that was cool enough to have one.

at only 30 years old, i may not have as many years behind me, but i've spent my fair share of time playing some of the classics icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 05:22:16 AM »

36 years old here - We couldnt afford a video game machine when I Was a kid, so I drew one on the dinner table and pretended to play games there... Zinoxfabli and Blablastbla were great games...

A new one
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 05, 2008, 05:22:16 AM

36 years old here - We couldnt afford a video game machine when I Was a kid, so I drew one on the dinner table and pretended to play games there... Zinoxfabli and Blablastbla were great games...

A friend of mine pretended playing Sonic infront of a tv because his parents didn't want to buy him a master system...he was 11 at the time. Probably one of the saddest things I ever heard.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 09:25:27 AM »

Quote from: Pong on September 05, 2008, 09:22:15 AM

Quote from: Razgon on September 05, 2008, 05:22:16 AM

A friend of mine pretended playing Sonic infront of a tv because his parents didn't want to buy him a master system...he was 11 at the time. Probably one of the saddest things I ever heard.

heh, well, the above is actually more or less true - I did the same thing- used to draw arcade machines on the table in school and pretended to play them to pass time ;-)

A new one
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »

40 here, I started with playing pinball with my dad.  Got a pre-2600 Atari video pinball and breakout game first, then a 2600.  Didn't get my first computer til about 1992, but I went to the local Jr. College when I was a kid on Sunday afternoons and played ASCII star trek and Adventur on the main frame.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »

Saved up my money in high school to buy myself a TRS-80 Mark 1.  4K of memory, baby!!!  Woo-hoo!!!  And not a full version of basic, but a stripped down version!  I would spend hours typing in programs from Computerworld magazine, and then only find out after that that they wouldn't work.  And the whole saving them to cassette tapes...always an adventure.  Half the time they wouldn't load back after you saved them...
toger
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

54 here (and female!). I've been playing non-stop since my 30s when I discovered Castlevania on the NES... although I suppose I really started with the Vic-20 but that whole having to program the damn thing every time I wanted to play something sucked the fun right out.

Powered by PMS
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »

Quote from: toger on September 05, 2008, 03:15:22 PM

54 here (and female!). I've been playing non-stop since my 30s when I discovered Castlevania on the NES... although I suppose I really started with the Vic-20 but that whole having to program the damn thing every time I wanted to play something sucked the fun right out.

OMG, NOOOOO!

Lmao, tell me there really is another 50's (both born in, and age) woman posting here!

Yup, I'm 50+ and female - though I started with Zelda on the NES - though I did get into Castlevania on the original GameBoy version.

Welcome!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 03:32:42 PM »

First gaming system was an Atari 2600 when I was 5 or 6 years old. I wanted that thing so bad after seeing it at a friend's house. We were poor so I know my mom had to have sacrificed a lot to get it for me.

After that I hit TRS-80s, Commodore 64s, Apple IIes and the like. Then it was on to the NES, and the rest is history. I owned at one time or another most of the major consoles up to the 360 today.

My first true gaming PC was a 386/16 with 4MB of RAM and a 40Mb hard drive. It had a 5 1/4" floppy and a 3 1/2" floppy, an 8-bit Soundblaster (or whatever they were back then), and a 15" VGA monitor. I was the envy of all my friends.  icon_biggrin

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 03:34:09 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 05, 2008, 03:26:46 PM

OMG, NOOOOO!

Lmao, tell me there really is another 50's (both born in, and age) woman posting here!

Yup, I'm 50+ and female - though I started with Zelda on the NES - though I did get into Castlevania on the original GameBoy version.

Welcome!  icon_razz

Dude, we totally have some chicks on the board!  w00t!   icon_wink
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »

A big thanks to mikeg, Ironrod, mytocles, and toger for making me feel young again  Tongue
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »

I started playing video games in the 70's including trips to Sears to play Pong and Atari before my brother and I got it for Christmas in 1975/1976 (can't remember so yeah I'm old)
I also had a Trash 80 and our High school had a complete computer lab with 28 IBM PCs in 1982 (I think it was actually created in 1978)
I have been hooked ever since. If I was playing at home I was going to arcades and pizza/sub restaurants that had the machines.

I feel very fortunate to have grown up with the history of gaming

The games that stick out in my mind the most are Adventure, A talisman series from Activision( I can't remember the name) and for the PC Out of This World
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:03:08 PM by DamageInc » Logged

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 04:13:50 PM »

I never played arcade games much - except for my old nemesis Robotron (which was getting on in years by the time I got around) - but my father said they were quite popular in the seventies/eighties. I mean REALLY popular; not just present but sought out. So he was a gamer in that sense and I think if he were in his twenties, he might be an FPS player or Guitar Hero, but no strategy or RPG or RTS games for him.

So I wonder if all those arcade fanatics; if they really existed in those legendary numbers the old ones (my dad and his age cohort) talk about: did they make the transition? 'Cause to hear dad tell it, there were lots of arcades and legions of gamers. Some should have survived.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 05:06:55 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on September 05, 2008, 04:18:54 AM

Quote from: mikeg on September 04, 2008, 10:29:18 PM

I am 48 and don't think someone should be considered an older gamer til they hit their 50's. 

51 here, with a 5+ year-old-PC. I'm not much of a gamer anymore because I can't afford to keep up. 16 colors is plenty.

Phew! Glad to hear I'm not the oldest gamer here, you guys both beat me by a few. Game consoles hardly existed during my childhood and the few that did aren't even worth mentioning. Honestly I think I spent an entire 5 minutes playing pong on my aunt's Odyssey before I got bored; still think to this day she was a fool for buying it.

I really didn't get my hands dirty with video gaming until the C-64 arrived sometime in my teens. Until the N64 and Playstation era I avoided consoles; just couldn't see the point of them when you could game, program and word process on a computer. In looking back, it was probably mplay sessions on my brother in law's Super Nintendo that finally changed my mind.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:10:46 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 04, 2008, 04:52:14 PM

not quite mature here yet.

shut up Purge.

Nuff said.

32, I started playing on a buddies Colecovision, my cousin's Vectrex, and then finally had a Hyperion "luggable" with a 3" b/w screen and flipdown keyboard. Oooo, Sopwith Camel FTW.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »

I'm 35 and I'm just getting started.

My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20, with the cassette loader.  nod

EDIT: I actually typed my age wrong... sheesh.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 06:50:40 PM by Orgull » Logged

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on September 05, 2008, 03:45:06 PM

A big thanks to mikeg, Ironrod, mytocles, and toger for making me feel young again  Tongue

Oh, thanks a lot Jeff! But you left out tgb1.1 - from page 1.  Until dbt posts here, I believe tgb1.1 "wins."

I must admit I'm a tiny bit surprised at the age demographic, even though I knew we had a wider spread of years here than most forums.  What I forgot was that all the people who've been here since we were GoneGold and then ConsoleGold have aged.  It wasn't just me, lol!  We have a ton of 40-ish folk here.

I wonder why Ron didn't choose GoneGray for our new name, or maybe GrayingTrend?  icon_twisted 

Yeah rickfc, we (women) totally rule here now, so watch your step - there are TWO of us!  icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »

I'm 23, started playing on my dad's friends Atari 2600 when I was like 4/5.  I liked it so much, my parents got me a NES ... I've been hooked ever since.
I remember when EverQuest came out, me, my mom, my dad & one of my dad's friends all got into it at the same time.  Nothing like getting punished because my guild jumped my mom's guilds raid.

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
Geezerone
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:53 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on September 05, 2008, 04:00:20 PM

I started playing video games in the 70's including trips to Sears to play Pong and Atari before my brother and I got it for Christmas in 1975/1976 (can't remember so yeah I'm old)
I also had a Trash 80 and our High school had a complete computer lab with 28 IBM PCs in 1982 (I think it was actually created in 1978)
I have been hooked ever since. If I was playing at home I was going to arcades and pizza/sub restaurants that had the machines.

I feel very fortunate to have grown up with the history of gaming

The games that stick out in my mind the most are Adventure, A talisman series from Activision( I can't remember the name) and for the PC Out of This World

Yep the 70's was the height of video arcades (my high school and college years).  Even during the early '80s we used to go to arcades during lunch breaks from work.  What hooked me on PC (of a type) gaming was playing the Zork series during the real early 80s on CP/M machines (precursers to DOS).  These games came on 12" hard sectored floppies!   icon_lol
warning

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 11:37:53 PM »

And toger is awesome by the way.  FYI and all that.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 03:03:16 AM »

When I got the chicken pox in 1st grade, my aunt and uncle let me borrow Pong so I'd have something to do while I was stuck home away from school all day.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Azhure
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »

OMG, NOOOOO!

Welcome!  icon_razz

I'm another female gamer, about to turn 50 next month.   People look at me really weirdly when they realise I play computer games seriously, its only online that I know anybody else my sex and age who plays.   First game I really got into was Wizardry on an AppleII back in the early 80's and I've been playing games since. 

toger
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »

Quote from: Azhure on September 08, 2008, 09:31:08 PM

OMG, NOOOOO!

Welcome!  icon_razz

I'm another female gamer, about to turn 50 next month.   People look at me really weirdly when they realise I play computer games seriously, its only online that I know anybody else my sex and age who plays.   First game I really got into was Wizardry on an AppleII back in the early 80's and I've been playing games since. 
I just knew I wasn't the only one lurking. You just have to ask the right questions before we'll de-cloak.

And warning...  icon_redface  icon_biggrin