http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any writers here at GT?  (Read 785 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:35:48 AM »

Pros I mean. I've seen plenty of evidence of good storytelling on the boards over the years, but I'm wondering if anyone here does it for a living? Would be interested to know.

I ask because I've always been a creative person and a storyteller, but my dreams of becoming a pro filmmaker are collapsing. Despite being a crazy, driven, creative personality, I am capable of self-criticism and can fucntion within the bounds of reality.And the reality is, I'm not a very good filmmaker. I enjoy it. My friends and I have a great time doing it. But I'm not very good at it. I can write a good script and can tell a good story, everyone can agree on that, even people who don't like me. People seem to like my music too, but that's something I do for pure pleasure. But my movies really suck. I know they suck and I know why they suck, which puts me slightly above the herd, but the odds of me becoming a pro before retirement age are very slim.

So I've been looking for work and in the process, thoroughly examining my skill set. Ten years ago I spent 3 months doing a creative writing course in college. It's the only post-secondary education I have. I recently dug out all my work, going back to 1990 when I first tried to write seriously. The early stuff was beyond abysmal. It was so bad it warps space around on itself until it touches itself and becomes awesome in its badness. Then there was the stuff before the writing course in 1997. Bad but there were moments of funny and/or ok. The stuff i did during the course was good enough to ace the course, but not good enough to publish.

I've started writing fiction again while I job hunt. The work is awful but I know why it's awful and I know what do to to fix it. I find it satisfying and I'm wondering if I can make a career out of it. I'm sharing with you guys because none of my friends and family are creative, at best they don't understand me, at worst they think I'm fucking Van Gogh and I'm in constant danger of cutting off my own ear. I just wanted someone to express these thoughts to.

Any feedback, positive or negative is welcome.

P.S. I hear Crusis here is a writer?

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:21:33 AM »

I can confirm that Crusis is a writer.  I read one of his books a couple weeks ago (when he told us it was free on Amazon) and think it's great...good enough that I'll be paying to read more of his work in the future icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »

+1 for Cruisis. Whacktards of the Apocalypse was a really fun (if incredibly demented) read.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:02:37 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 26, 2012, 05:27:39 AM

+1 for Cruisis. Whacktards of the Apocalypse was a really fun (if incredibly demented) read.
Man. He wins for that title alone. That's a whole lot of awesome smile

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »

I just write goofy zombie books and some occasional offbeat humor. It's not a job, just a side gig that I do as a hobby that makes a little extra on the side. Seriously, when people ask me how to become a writer I ask them if they have exhausted every single other job under the sun. A few friends have made it into the full time writing job but I don't think I ever will and that's fine with me. I like having a steady income. Don't get me wrong, if someone showed up with a wheelbarrow full of cash for a book or movie rights, I'd dive right in.

I wasn't much of a writer (some may argue that still holds true  icon_lol) but taking some creative writing classes was a life changer. I took about a year's worth of online classes at Gotham Writer's Workshop and they have pretty much paid for themselves. Within the first few weeks I felt like light bulbs were going off over my head. Simple things like getting away from lazy passive writing, watching for repeated words, tensing shifts in mid sentence, and viewpoints! Ugh, that one used to kill me.

Anyway. Try an online course and start putting your work out there. The worst thing you will get is a rejection letter. I had a writing teacher that used to really harp on that. Send stuff out, if it comes back, send it out again.

Thanks for checking out Wacktards, Gratch and Disarm! Glad you got a kick out of it. Jonathan Moon and I are going to work on a new short novel in a few months. It's about a transgender cannibalistic serial killer in a frat house. The title? Sausagefest.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

icon_biggrin

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »

I've written a couple of programming books.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »

I hear PR_GMR dabbles in writing and making films.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »

I want to work on films some day. A friend of mine entered a contest on Amazon last month. The goal was to write a synopsis based on a framework they set forth for a sci-fi movie. Well he was one of the 4 winners picked to help write a treatment. He will receive $10K to work on this team. How freaking awesome is that?

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 26, 2012, 08:00:43 PM

I want to work on films some day. A friend of mine entered a contest on Amazon last month. The goal was to write a synopsis based on a framework they set forth for a sci-fi movie. Well he was one of the 4 winners picked to help write a treatment. He will receive $10K to work on this team. How freaking awesome is that?
That's wonderful! I'm so glad there are opportunites like that for creative people to get involved and get noticed. smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »

I've been mostly a weekly newspaper reporter/editor, and now trade media reporter/editor since about 1988. I got a C in fiction writing in college (mostly got A's in anything related to journalism or non-fiction writing), and buried my fiction dreams back then.

I do think I've known probably a thousand people who said "Gee, I wanna be a writer!" and never wrote a word. I have a pal who quit my current place of employment in late 2008 and has been unemployed all this time (his wife has a decent job and apparently unending patience).  He keeps telling me "I know I wanna be a writer," and he sends out resumes, but he doesn't WRITE, which I find awfully sad. I didn't have these opportunities in 1988 -- I couldn't write my own online blog about anything I wanted and potentially have the entire world as my audience. I couldn't write my own novel and self-publish it online back then. I couldn't just be some local online correspondent for some online publication etc. etc.

I even tried to get him freelance work with a local newspaper, but his response was "Oh, it's not what I want to do now."  Roll Eyes If you want to be a writer, write. Don't do what I did when I graduated in '87; and navel-gaze, and buy books about "how to be a writer" and "how to get published" and say "woe is me, nobody wants to hire me as a writer." Just write.  icon_smile

Really, I think the best advice if someone wants to write is "Write!" Write a blog, write a diary, write your memoirs (or write fictional memoirs of a character), write a biography of someone you've always wanted to learn more about, etc.

Fiction-wise, I got this very cool "cube" book at Borders last year called "The Writer's Block: 786 Ideas to Jump Start Your Imagination": http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Block-Ideas-Jump-Start-Imagination/dp/0762409487

I still haven't written my great Work of Fiction but the book did give me dozens of ideas. I recommend it to folks who think they want to write fiction but don't have a clue where to start.

Ebooks are really the Great Equalizer these days. The Dream is still to get a hard copy publisher interested, but lots of people simply self-publish on Amazon and the like. A former newspaper buddy of mine got his first horror novella published as an ebook on Ebay last year, and it has sold quite a few copies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:39:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Orgull, sorry to hear you've decided to hang it up as a filmmaker. Independent filmmaker is not for the faint of heart. It's brutal. You must have a tremendous thick skin, stamina, ability to network, and just a hardcore work ethic. I've been making films independently for over 6 years now, and I'm about to embark on producing my first feature length after much soul-searching and preparation by producing shorts. I've not had tremendous sucess, but have been told that I'm talented and have potential, so I'm going to forge ahead with my project. It'll take the better part of the next two years to put my first film out. And I'll be age 40 when it happens. Still, when you have the conviction that you've a voice and have something to say, which I do, you just can't quit.

That's very mature to you to see that you didn't cut it as a filmmaker. I wish you the best of luck as you embark of being a writer. How about writing screenplays and see if you can get your film ideas produced that way?

Do not give up being creative. Creativity takes courage. Creativity takes cojones. Creativity nourishes the mind and the sould tremendously. Even if you never make it at some sort of mainstream commercial level, much good will come from you staying creative.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:20:03 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 26, 2012, 09:16:08 PM

Orgull, sorry to hear you've decided to hang it up as a filmmaker. Independent filmmaker is not for the faint of heart. It's brutal. You must a tremendous thick skin, stamina, ability to network, and just a hardcore work ethic. I've been making films independently for over 6 years now, and I'm about to embark on producing my first feature length after much soul-searching and preparation by producing shorts. I've not had tremendous sucess, but have been told that I'm talented and have potential, so I'm going to forge ahead with my project. It'll take the better part of the next two years to put my first film out. And I'll be age 40 when it happens. Still, when you have the conviction that you've a voice and have something to say, which I do, you just can't quit.

That's very mature to you to see that you didn't cut it as a filmmaker. I wish you the best of luck as you embark of being a writer. How about writing screenplays and see if you can get your film ideas produced that way?

Do not give up being creative. Creativity takes courage. Creativity takes cojones. Creativity nourishes the mind and the sould tremendously. Even if you never make it at some sort of mainstream commercial level, much good will come from you staying creative.

Thanks for the wonderful and inspiring post PR_GMR!

That's an excellent idea you mentioned. I have several unpolished screenplays I plan to finish after I've blown the cobwebs out with a novel or two.

At this moment, writing is providing an outlet for my creative energy without costing me any resources. It's also cathartic and great therapy.

I'm very interested in seeing your future features and providing you with plenty of constructive criticism. smile

Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 01:01:52 AM »

Quote from: Orgull on January 26, 2012, 08:13:32 PM

That's wonderful! I'm so glad there are opportunites like that for creative people to get involved and get noticed. smile

He's written some pretty good books. In fact, I think he quit his day job because he makes enough from writing. We are both on Permuted Press's label. If you get a chance, check out Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines. It's a fun and very original book that combines zombies and super-heroes.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:58:22 AM »

Orgull, sorry to hear you've decided to hang it up as a filmmaker. Independent filmmaker is not for the faint of heart. It's brutal. You must have a tremendous thick skin, stamina, ability to network, and just a hardcore work ethic. I've been making films independently for over 6 years now, and I'm about to embark on producing my first feature length after much soul-searching and preparation by producing shorts. I've not had tremendous sucess, but have been told that I'm talented and have potential, so I'm going to forge ahead with my project. It'll take the better part of the next two years to put my first film out. And I'll be age 40 when it happens. Still, when you have the conviction that you've a voice and have something to say, which I do, you just can't quit.

Despite our differences on interpretations of horror film content, I continue to admire your perseverance, passion, and adherence to your craft.  I continue to await the first PR_GMR feature film so that I can attend its premier and comment to friends that "I know that guy."  Granted, "know" is in the virtual sense, but still.  GT is a close-knit community and it is always exciting to celebrate the successes of our brethren.

I sometimes wish I could apply my alleged "knack" for amusing and compelling writing (according to friends and professors) to a more tangible and lucrative medium, but it'll probably continue to be somewhat of an occasional hobby.  Still, my creativity in the kitchen continues to impress and excite friends, so one of my passions will continue to enjoy support.  The moniker of "Chef Peedro" often used by friends was earned by many years in the kitchen.

But I at least had an opportunity to apply my appreciation of developing enjoyable writing as for my "personal statement" on my UofA application, instead of writing about personal attributes, accolades, or potential, I instead decided to tell a story.  I told the story of running from an arctic wolf in my underwear during a 6-week field season at the North Pole.  I'd either stand out from other applicants or completely crash and burn.  But it must have worked as I earned an interview, and as 400 students applied and only 160 earned interviews for 100 final spots, I have no regrets.  At least not yet.

Still, my point is to address your potential realization of a dream by age 40.  I can relate in some respect as I lost my job a few years ago and was forced to reevaluate career goals, lifestyle aspirations, and the kind of mark I hope to leave behind.  I determined the field of pharmacy to be an ideal fit for my goals, personality, academic interests, and intended impact on my community, and after two and a half years of arduous coursework I am a few weeks away from hearing whether I've been accepted to my preferred College of Pharmacy, the University of Arizona, which maintains the 9th ranked program in the country.  And, like you, once I complete my Doctor of Pharmacy education, I will be close to 40.  I'll technically be 39 following my pharmD completion, but to practice in clinical oncology I'll need to complete a 2-year residency first, placing me in the 41 age bracket.  But, I will be able to contribute toward the treatment of cancer patients first-hand, a dream I have had throughout my life as family members continue to struggle to fight the disease.

While it's praise from a virtual character, I am proud of your efforts, I envy the successes Crusis continues to celebrate, and it all stems from being a continuing member of such a great community.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:09:23 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 01:20:07 AM »

Hey there's a Science Fiction Short Story Contest going on over at www.writingforums.org. Maybe I'll give it a try. It would be a good exercise I think.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »

How about writing screenplays and see if you can get your film ideas produced that way?

This.  There are a ton of Screenplay contest out there.  I used to dabble in acting as a kid and had some very creative friends.  We made quite a few shorts in Highschool that went on to win some awards and provided a full ride for my buddy to UCLA film school.  Our screenplays seemed to do better than our finished products.  'Retiring' from acting is one of my biggest regrets but I was burned out after working a ton from age 8-20 and needed a break.  I keep telling myself I will get back into it but mortgages, car payments and a kid remind me that it should probably be something to pursue when I retire.  That and I don't seem to handle rejection as good as I use to  icon_smile

morlac00 on PSN
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 02:46:08 PM »

I like to consider myself a writer, but I'm crippled by an addiction to MMOs and various gaming (aka, I don't invest any time in writing.)  I've gotten about 20k words written in two separate novels and never finished them.  It haunts me.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on January 28, 2012, 02:46:08 PM

I like to consider myself a writer, but I'm crippled by an addiction to MMOs and various gaming (aka, I don't invest any time in writing.)  I've gotten about 20k words written in two separate novels and never finished them.  It haunts me.

I hear ya. It takes real discipline to sit down and reach a writing quota every day. I keep telling myself I'll write XXXX words per day but I rarely do it. Instead I sort of write in spurts. While working on a second draft of my new book I added about 5K in 3 days. Before that I didn't write a single word for a week. I planned to write all day but I only managed to revise a few paragraphs before running off to play Fallen Enchantress.  icon_biggrin

Still, 20K is very respectable. Hang in there.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

Yeah, I've aborted more novels than I care to count, though I'm now sitting at about 17K on a new novel (which is the farthest I've ever gotten, believe it or not) and polished up a screenplay that I never did anything with.

The main suggestions I've seen about writing is just "write all the time, even if you don't feel like it." In the last few years, I've taken that as my credo, and I can see my writing getting better. It's kind of cool.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on January 29, 2012, 07:28:12 AM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on January 28, 2012, 02:46:08 PM

I hear ya. It takes real discipline to sit down and reach a writing quota every day. I keep telling myself I'll write XXXX words per day but I rarely do it. Instead I sort of write in spurts. While working on a second draft of my new book I added about 5K in 3 days. Before that I didn't write a single word for a week. I planned to write all day but I only managed to revise a few paragraphs before running off to play Fallen Enchantress.  icon_biggrin

Still, 20K is very respectable. Hang in there.

I'm using your FB posts as encouragement.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »

I'm not a writer, but I am married to one. I've picked up a few things.

Like many creative outlets, it's a hard profession to maintain without a day job.

As many here have stated, if you want to write, then do it. Don't talk about it. Just write. Lots of folks want to have written. That's very different than wanting to write.

Being able to be critical of your own work, hear criticism of your own work and modify it is actually a pretty advanced skill. Without thinking very had I can point to several folks who have failed on the path for precisely that reason. If you can do that already, you are WAY ahead of the game.

Finish something. That's a big one. Lot's of folks are still re-hashing the great book they started 10 years ago. That doesn't work. If you are not going to finish it, throw it away and start something you will finish. Tough skill.

.....Somebody mentioned Gotham. I would echo that finding a decent workshop/community/writing group is a real plus. You will have to be careful about this because there are a ton of flakes out there, but good feedback is priceless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: