http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:59:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are pyschics real?  (Read 1937 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »

For some reason or another I ended up watching Montel, who seems to attract massive female Oprah-like audiences. You'll get the occassional TML in the audience, but for the most part, it's all females.

There was some lady on it, Beverly Browne or something like that, who is supposedly a pyschic and "knows all". The audience were asking questions and she was telling them the names of their spirtual guides, when they'd meet Mr.Right, even his name, what their kids were doing in the future, and so on.
Then she finally made some real sense when Montel asked her what about the Iraq war and she said we woudn't be out until next election because there "was no changing this man in power right now".
Well, damn! Even Paris Hilton could have figured that one out! Montel asked about him maybe getting impeached for all he's done and she said it woudn't happen because we're too close to elections, to which Montel responded so people have to keep dying for 2 more years?

Anyway point is, does anyone really believe in this pyscho BS? If I were in that audience I'd find out real fast if she was for real or not, with a simple question like "So nice to meet you! Last August my dad died and I never got to tell him goodbye. It's been with me since, and I just wanted to know if my dad had any words for me, and that he knew what I loved him and regret not being there more often."
(Several audience members asked several questions like this and she closed her eyes and told them what their dead parents were saying!! Yeah..)
Then when she comes out with some mumbo jumbo about my dad being happy and not holding anything against me I could be like "Got ya bitch! My dad is still alive!"

Seriously.. even a simple question like "How old am I?" or "What's my name?" if they can't answer something as simple as that, then why would they have any credibility about solving entire personal life problems?

Has anyone here ever been to or called a pyschic before? What was your experience? While I've never been to one personally, I just find it incredibly difficult to believe that one person "knows all" as this woman claims.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:55 PM »

A couple weeks ago I was talking about this.  I decided that at some point I'm going to open up a storefront psychic outfit, and in proof that I'm real, I'll be sending out bills to customers months in advance of their actual visits.  I mean, if psychics are real, they'd know that you'd be going in on November 12th at 7:30 PM, right?  So why not get the bill out, and remind you of the appointment that you would have made all at once?

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:01:38 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 21, 2006, 11:59:54 AM

For some reason or another I ended up watching Montel, who seems to attract massive female Oprah-like audiences. You'll get the occassional TML in the audience, but for the most part, it's all females.

I have seen that lady, Sylvia Brown.  I thought Montel was doing something on Trans-gender people.  *shudder*   I don't buy that she is a psychic.  I think that if anyone actually is psychic, they probably can't turn it on and off like a switch and contact the relatives of everyone in the audience at will. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic

Oh, I love Montel.  Do go on...

There was some lady on it, Beverly Browne or something like that, who is supposedly a pyschic-

You're not a CHRISTIAN-AH!

DARK-SIDED!!  GOR-GILLS!  PSYCHICS!!  EVERYTHING IS UNGODLY!!!!

-Autistic Angel
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 01:09:18 PM »

My wife's a pyschic. A very strong one too. But I'm not going to discuss it here and now as I don't think I'd have an open minded audience.

Ye Olde Farte
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 01:18:10 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on September 21, 2006, 01:09:18 PM

My wife's a pyschic. A very strong one too. But I'm not going to discuss it here and now as I don't think I'd have an open minded audience.

I for one am interested and would be pretty open minded....  I do believe that there are legitimate psychics out there -- I've had a couple pre-cognative dreams in my life and I fully believe that there are real phenomenon we do not understand, and folks who are gifted in that way.  But I've also seen that show where that guy talks to the dead family members of the audience, and that leads me to the obvious conclusion that a lot of psychics out there are frauds.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

I used to think certain people had a touch of ability in them. I looked at it as a normal evolutionary step. But over time Ive come to think that either they are con artist or crazy. I think it may be possible for a very few to have some type of ability but not near as much as what others are trying to pass off as having.

The wife and I like to poke fun at one from a local flea market. Ya a flea market psychic. She's a smoker. we always say if she was real then she'd know those things would kill her.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 01:39:35 PM »

I'm also interested with an open mind.  The human mind is one of my favorite things to discuss.  I love when pyschics come on Coast to Coast AM, they make for some of the most enjoyable radio.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 01:54:41 PM »

I'm guessing she knew we'd make with the mockery so she figured why waste her time. :slywink:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 02:14:09 PM »

Lots of people really think they are psychic. Or that they can dowse for water with a pronged stick. Or that they have photographic evidence of spirits. Or that they can cure the common cold with homeopathic remedies.

These people are confused.

Think about it logically. People have been pulling this crap for thousands of years, and we've never gotten any solid proof or any benefit from them.

Science has been formalized only for a few hundred and look how much we've learned and how much we've changed the society.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 02:25:38 PM »

This reminds me of this old saying.

How come you never see the headline "psychic wins the lottery".
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 02:44:36 PM »

I think this thread needs a 'NSFW' tag after Autistic Angels little picture  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:34 PM »

Most are fake, some are real.

I dated a girl whos aunt was a gods honest 100% psyhic.  The problem is many of them communicate with ancient spirits who don't know proper phrases and such for modern things.  My boss at the time owned a cemetary as a side job, and when I told him my girls aunt was one, he said "Heres a test, ask her what I do as my night job.  If she can answer that, she is authentic and I will be impressed.".  So I went over to my girls house, asked the aunt during a reading, and she said "He tends the dead.".. I was a huge skeptic about that stuff prior to meeting here, it changes the way you think when you are hit with it head on.

Some people seem to  have "Abilities" or "Connections".  For example when I was 10 years old I was riding my bike about 2 miles from my home and felt and broke my arm and was rolling around in severe pain.  My mom was standing next to my dad in the kitchen in our home 2 miles away and said "Kobra is in trouble, hes hurt.".  She led my dad right to me! (name substituted obviously)

I personally think it can run in families. I know I get "Feelings" that aren't wise for me to ignore and we don't ignore them anymore.  I won't go into it but we've learned the hard way to not ignore my gut instinct - whether that qualifies as psychic, I don't really know or care, I just listen to them for the good of the family.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 03:30:27 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »

People will believe lots of things.  Look at all the religons in the world.  Unfortunately, there really isn't any proof.  I'll believe in physics when I see a wearwolf walk down the street.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 03:33:47 PM »

Know a psychic looking to make a quick buck? Tell them to take James Randi's Paranormal Challenge. If psychic claims hold up to rigorous scientific scrutiny, a cool million dollars will be awarded!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 03:44:13 PM »

Quote from: Bob on September 21, 2006, 02:14:09 PM

Or that they can cure the common cold with homeopathic remedies.
Eh?  Where have you been?

The results of the Cleveland Clinic study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine (1996;125:81-88), showed a significantly shorter duration of symptoms (4.4 days vs. 7.6 days) in patients taking the zinc lozenges compared to those who were given placebo (non-zinc) lozenges.

I have a bag of these Zinc lozenges, and have never had a common cold for more than a couple days if I use them when I start coming down with one.  Pneumonia, now that is another issue.  icon_mad  Don't even get me started on Honey now being used in my wifes hospital to treat antibiotic resistant skin infections, or how Vitamin-D is now known that it prevents and may even cure cancer.   eek  Those homepathic doctors are sure crackpots, lets pump ourselves full of damaging synthetic drugs and be happy. 

Bottom line with the Psychic thing, people that have seen it or know it, will believe it, people that haven't, will never be convinced it exists. So it really isn't even worth debating the fact with those that haven't.  Nobody on a forum is going to magically say "I now believe in paranormal!" just because some people post real incidents that can't be refuted.  I just accept the fact that some people are pretty oblivious to many things in the world and leave it at that.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 04:06:17 PM »

Anecdotes and informal in-person demonstrations of being psychic are all well and good... and entirely dismissable.  When psychics can prove their abilities under scientific conditions (repeatable, observable, testable, etc) then I'll believe it. I like that Paranormal Challenge link. That no one has even passed the preliminary tests says a lot.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 04:20:48 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on September 21, 2006, 04:06:17 PM

Anecdotes and informal in-person demonstrations of being psychic are all well and good... and entirely dismissable.  When psychics can prove their abilities under scientific conditions (repeatable, observable, testable, etc) then I'll believe it. I like that Paranormal Challenge link. That no one has even passed the preliminary tests says a lot.

Speaking for my old girlfriends aunt, she was prohibited from participating in a "Circus" to show the unbelievers the truth, and was prohibited from using the gift to benefit beyond normal subsistance and comfortable living. In otherwords, she had to use it for good, and had to be restrained in the use of it.  The conditions of that paranormal test are such that no true psyhic would be able to participate to begin with, and a fake one wouldn't risk it for the fact they would be exposed. 

Not to mention the fact that non-believers wouldn't even accept the test if it was passed to begin with because they are, by nature, non-believers. So whats the point? Its a lose-lose situation for any potential test taker.   I've learned to accept that a lot people walk through life with blinders on and there really isn't any point in addressing that fact, thats how they want to live and I accept it.  However I find it a bit annoying that those same people cannot accept anything beyond the range of their blinders and are reckless with the condemnation of anything that exceeds their limited range of understanding of those types of things.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 04:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 21, 2006, 01:05:28 PM

Oh, I love Montel.  Do go on...

There was some lady on it, Beverly Browne or something like that, who is supposedly a pyschic-

You're not a CHRISTIAN-AH!

DARK-SIDED!!  GOR-GILLS!  PSYCHICS!!  EVERYTHING IS UNGODLY!!!!

-Autistic Angel

I watched that episode.  Oh....My....God.  Just wow.

As for your wife DBT, I'm always open to listening.  I'm just a natural skeptic.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »

I remember reading a story about this guy who debunks claims of paranormal abilities.  He related a story about an aura reader who insisted she could see the glowing field of spiritual energy surrounding his body at all times.  The skeptic held up a large book in front of his face and asked if his aura was still visible around the book, and the reader confirmed that the aura was projected from the body whether the body itself was visible or not.

Then the skeptic offered to stand behind a wall that was exactly as tall as he was, challenging the aura reader to point out exactly where he was standing by looking at the aura above his head.  For some reason she declined the challenge, as has every other purported aura reader the skeptic has ever encountered.

I do not know if legitimate psychics exist, nor do I know if mankind was simply blinked into existence by God, but I do know that the preponderance of scientific knowledge weighs against it.

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon
I watched that episode.  Oh....My....God.  Just wow.

The video clip I linked is much, much better for anyone who saw the full two-part episode.  For those who missed it, the "dark-sided" family bent over backwards to try and make Marguerite "God Warrior" Perrin feel welcome and comfortable, while their mother completely won over the Christian family by embracing their life style (and tolerating some pretty sharp condemnations from some of Perrin's friends).

It does raise a question I've wondered about ever since: why would Christians be so terrified of a psychic that they'd refuse to even stay in the same room as one?  I may not believe in self-proclaimed precognitives or clairvoiants, but I can't imagine being frightened of them...?

-Autistic Angel
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 05:03:47 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 21, 2006, 04:20:48 PM

Quote from: ScubaV on September 21, 2006, 04:06:17 PM

Speaking for my old girlfriends aunt, she was prohibited from participating in a "Circus" to show the unbelievers the truth, and was prohibited from using the gift to benefit beyond normal subsistance and comfortable living. In otherwords, she had to use it for good, and had to be restrained in the use of it.  The conditions of that paranormal test are such that no true psyhic would be able to participate to begin with, and a fake one wouldn't risk it for the fact they would be exposed. 

Not to mention the fact that non-believers wouldn't even accept the test if it was passed to begin with because they are, by nature, non-believers. So whats the point? Its a lose-lose situation for any potential test taker.   I've learned to accept that a lot people walk through life with blinders on and there really isn't any point in addressing that fact, thats how they want to live and I accept it.  However I find it a bit annoying that those same people cannot accept anything beyond the range of their blinders and are reckless with the condemnation of anything that exceeds their limited range of understanding of those types of things.

So her aunt was given psychic powers by some more powerful being(s) who made rules? Was it God, ghosts, aliens? Or was it that she herself made those rules or that she could only activate her psychic powers under specific conditions? That all just sounds like a convenient excuse to me. It reminds me of the South Park episode where one of the boys mimics John Edwards in being able to talk to the dead, but in reality he's just using certain rules and tricks in his questioning. Besides, what's to say all psychics work the same way? Maybe there's psychics out there that aren't constrained by rules of when and where to use their powers. Even assuming all psychics are the same, the Paranormal Challenge is for more than just psychics. So then, do all paranormal occurances abide by the same rules that keep them from being tested? Once again, too convenient.

Am I a non-believer when it comes to paranormal occurances? Damn right I am. Would I start believing it if scientific evidence supported it? Damn right I would. Do I wear blinders? No, I merely have a scientific frame of mind that regards things with a healthy skepticism unless there's evidence for it. Am I condemning psychics and paranormal believers? Not in general, though the ones that try to take advantage of people by claiming psychic ability I do despise. I just merely don't believe in what they have to say.

Note: In using the word "psychic" I mean people who claim to be psychics.  I don't believe they really are psychic.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 05:11:51 PM »

In otherwords, she had to use it for good, and had to be restrained in the use of it. 
Sounds like she should have put on a cape and mask and joined the Justice League...

---
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 05:14:56 PM »

What a cool thread! ...

I'm also in the camp that doesn't believe in psychics, but that's only because I don't think anyone's been able to successfully prove their abilities. It's not a "non-believer" thing - I'd love to see that sort of power/ability/mental step forward in humans - but you can't be surprised by people who ask for proof.

Kobra, I'm not knocking your girlfriend's aunt, but why would there be conditions to her abilities. I tell you quite honestly, if I could assist people with that kind of power, I'd be talking to the police in a heart beat, helping find missing persons, killers, rapists, bringing closure to crime, capturing really, really bad people. And shit, I'd try to show the world how it "works". Is that so wrong?

dbt, if you're not being sarcastic, I'm sure each and every one of us would like to hear about your wife's abilities. I mean, even the thought it mind-blowing. But you can't blame us for being skeptical. There's an absolute different between being close-minded and being skeptical.

And any reason why the Randi challenge hasn't been approached?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 06:46:55 PM »

Quote from: Dafones on September 21, 2006, 05:14:56 PM

Maybe because anybody that CAN, wants to give a smartass ranting prick the time of day?  Quite honestly, people that have gifts are more than content to let the people with blinders on, continue to wear their blinders.  Can you blame them? I certainly wouldn't be running out to give away winning lotto numbers for the good of the people that condemned them in the first place, would you?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:48:39 PM by Kobra » Logged

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 06:50:30 PM »

Can you blame them? I certainly wouldn't be running out to give away winning lotto numbers for the good of the people that condemned them in the first place, would you?
Of course, if these pyshics were legit, there would be quite a few more millionaires.  You could even hit the lottery, and donate half to charity to do good.

---
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »

Can you blame them? I certainly wouldn't be running out to give away winning lotto numbers for the good of the people that condemned them in the first place, would you?

If it settled the issue conclusively and got people off their backs I think it'd be worth it, yeah.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »

Quote from: Scott on September 21, 2006, 06:50:30 PM

Of course, if these pyshics were legit, there would be quite a few more millionaires.  You could even hit the lottery, and donate half to charity to do good.

I'd think winning the lottery was specifically forbidden by the Psychic's Code of Conduct which does not allow them to meddle directly in human affairs for personal gain. Otherwise that might tip their hand before the upcoming Telepath War. icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 08:42:32 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 21, 2006, 06:46:55 PM

Quote from: Dafones on September 21, 2006, 05:14:56 PM

Maybe because anybody that CAN, wants to give a smartass ranting prick the time of day?  Quite honestly, people that have gifts are more than content to let the people with blinders on, continue to wear their blinders.  Can you blame them? I certainly wouldn't be running out to give away winning lotto numbers for the good of the people that condemned them in the first place, would you?

It'd make things pretty definitive if any individual with paranormal abilities stood up and showcased them, decisively, to the world. Just to put the disbelief to rest.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 12:06:46 AM »

I will say this about psychics. It's a natural phenomenon that occurs to some people. It's a natural thing that can't be "turned off and on".It's on all the time. There are ebbs and flows with this ability.Sometimes the person is stronger than others. For those who make a living at it (and assuming they're "real" to begin with) they may be under the spotlight when the ability is at an ebb and so yes,they will fake it. I think we all know the tricks.
Strong psychics have to learn to filter out all the occurances as they happen all the time.
I,nor anyone else, is going to convince anybody online or who hasn't experienced it in person. I can pretty much guarantee that if anyone met my wife in person she could convince you she was "real".Assuming she cared what you thought to begin with.
As for the "great randy",he's a fanatic in his beliefs. Someone could levitate him and turn his dick into gold and he'd still claim it was a trick. He is NOT open minded.
My wife doesn't make a living being a psychic,she just is, and I really don't care if anyone believes it or not. (this is not a rant directed at any or all here,just that I don't care)

Ye Olde Farte
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 01:51:53 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on September 22, 2006, 12:06:46 AM

I will say this about psychics. It's a natural phenomenon that occurs to some people. It's a natural thing that can't be "turned off and on".It's on all the time. There are ebbs and flows with this ability.Sometimes the person is stronger than others. For those who make a living at it (and assuming they're "real" to begin with) they may be under the spotlight when the ability is at an ebb and so yes,they will fake it. I think we all know the tricks.
Strong psychics have to learn to filter out all the occurances as they happen all the time.
I,nor anyone else, is going to convince anybody online or who hasn't experienced it in person. I can pretty much guarantee that if anyone met my wife in person she could convince you she was "real".Assuming she cared what you thought to begin with.
As for the "great randy",he's a fanatic in his beliefs. Someone could levitate him and turn his dick into gold and he'd still claim it was a trick. He is NOT open minded.
My wife doesn't make a living being a psychic,she just is, and I really don't care if anyone believes it or not. (this is not a rant directed at any or all here,just that I don't care)

That really is the thing DBT - I've just always encountered the shams and snake oil salesmen.  I'd really like to meet somebody who is the real deal.  I believe that there are a lot of things that people can do that defy explanation, but I've never had a personal encounter with somebody who was 'real' in this regard.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 03:14:37 AM »

If she is then dbt, what are examples of things she can do?  What is normal for her?  As Knightshade mentioned, pretty much the only thing you see is the fakes.  Did she know you two were going to marry and just take you right to the church? smile  (that was joke)

---
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 03:37:46 AM »

She knew we were going to get married because she's a woman.  icon_wink

Ye Olde Farte
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 04:34:55 AM »

See dbt, I find that so amazing. Could you give us any examples? Could you tell us the first instance that convinced you (I'm sure that one sticks out in your memory)? Could you describe what she sees/feels/knows/understands? Is it like a dream, like a memory? Is it aural, visual?

And is your wife shy about it, or has she ever tried to step out and use it to aid others?

And ... is it something that, in your wife's opinion, we're all capable of, but that most tune out, or is it a select few that some how can "connect" to other senses and forms of perception?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

Let me talk in generalities here.
Not all psychics have "all" abilities. Many may be able to do only one or two things. Others may be able to do many different things.
For instance,seeing into the future. Just because one is able to see auras or see spirits doesn't mean that they can see into the future. And even if they can they usually just get a sense of something not something specific like what powerball to pick.
Reading minds. Usually the psychic just sees(or reads) the persons general thought not specifics. I.E. "This person doesn't like me" when their real thoughts are saying " You f**king bitch! I hope you die a long lingering death!" Actually that's probably a bad example as anyone can read body language and see that but I think you get the picture.
My wife and I can do the "card" test where you see the different shapes and we consistently get it right 80-90% of the time.
I don't have a psychic bone in my body. Before meeting my wife I was a major skeptic. I am still a skeptic about other psychics. (James von Prague and John Edwards for instance) I would have to meet them in person to be convinced.
My wife's abilities are more along the line of Sylvia Brown. I think Ms Brown is for real but I don't believe everything she says as the gospel truth either.(she is a showman and makes a living at it)
I don't even believe everything my wife says as the gospel truth either. Usually I find out later she was right but at the time she says something I have my doubts.
Anyrate that's my take on the subject.

Ye Olde Farte
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 02:34:46 PM »

I don't have anything specific to add, but 'thanks' dbt for some of the generalities.  Interesting to have a bit more insight.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 03:13:37 PM »

She knew we were going to get married because she's a woman. 
You are just completely hosed then.  Married, and if you try to get away with anything, she'll know!!  smile "Don't even think of buying that game dbt!!"

Interesting writeup.  Still not sure I buy it, but interesting read.

---
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 21, 2006, 03:44:13 PM

Quote from: Bob on September 21, 2006, 02:14:09 PM

Or that they can cure the common cold with homeopathic remedies.
Eh?  Where have you been?

The results of the Cleveland Clinic study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine (1996;125:81-88), showed a significantly shorter duration of symptoms (4.4 days vs. 7.6 days) in patients taking the zinc lozenges compared to those who were given placebo (non-zinc) lozenges.

I have a bag of these Zinc lozenges, and have never had a common cold for more than a couple days if I use them when I start coming down with one.  Pneumonia, now that is another issue.  icon_mad  Don't even get me started on Honey now being used in my wifes hospital to treat antibiotic resistant skin infections, or how Vitamin-D is now known that it prevents and may even cure cancer.   eek  Those homepathic doctors are sure crackpots, lets pump ourselves full of damaging synthetic drugs and be happy. 
None of the things you just mentioned are homeopathic.

Homeopathy rests on the premise of treating sick persons with extremely diluted agents that - in undiluted doses - are deemed to produce similar symptoms in a healthy individual.  --from wikipedia

Homeopathic does not mean naturopathic, or alternative.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 06:04:10 PM »

Quote from: dbt
My wife and I can do the "card" test where you see the different shapes and we consistently get it right 80-90% of the time.
Dead serious, dbt.  That can win you a million bucks.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 06:09:47 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 21, 2006, 03:44:13 PM

I have a bag of these Zinc lozenges, and have never had a common cold for more than a couple days if I use them when I start coming down with one.
On a side note, I've also never had a common cold for more than a couple days and I've never had zinc lozenges.

I'll look up the details on that study; I see no reason to disbelief it, but also, no reason to believe it either, seeing as useless pills making false claims abound.

[edit: the zinc study looks sound. Cool. Useless to me since my immune system kicks ass, but cool.]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:15:23 PM by Bob » Logged
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 04:35:45 AM »

I want to know my future.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: