http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 06:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Asian Americans easily offended?  (Read 6992 times)
Alefroth
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »

Yes, you have never said anything negative or insulting. You can leave with a clear conscience now.

Ale
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2010, 09:08:03 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on December 19, 2010, 06:18:07 PM

I started this thread without a strand of racism against Asians. I, in fact, happen to love most Asian culture and peoples, and to visit Japan or China are on my top two choices of places wanting to visit before I die. I grew up with a Vietnamese friend in middle school. So those of you here that assumed that I was racist against Asians were just flat-out 100% WRONG.

The only thing I can think of when reading that is this.

The saddest thing about this whole ordeal is that Zekester isn't going to learn anything from it.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 19, 2010, 09:08:03 PM

Quote from: Zekester on December 19, 2010, 06:18:07 PM

I started this thread without a strand of racism against Asians. I, in fact, happen to love most Asian culture and peoples, and to visit Japan or China are on my top two choices of places wanting to visit before I die. I grew up with a Vietnamese friend in middle school. So those of you here that assumed that I was racist against Asians were just flat-out 100% WRONG.

The only thing I can think of when reading that is this.

The saddest thing about this whole ordeal is that Zekester isn't going to learn anything from it.

thought the same thing.

if you ask an offensive question, you should expect to be called on it.  if you can't understand that it's offensive, or accept that you made a mistake, then there's nothing more to discuss.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2010, 10:29:25 PM »

That, and some places don't want people around that try to be controversial.  There are plenty of topics that generate controversy due to the wide backgrounds of our posters without someone deliberately trying to stir the pot. 

As someone that used to have a really hard time letting any sort of even good-natured ribbing roll off my back, I don't think this is a place that Zekester will ever be happy.  The combination of the two is just a firestorm waiting to happen.  And now I've seen it twice.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2010, 01:40:24 AM »

Just to be clear, I wasn't offended at all at the start of the thread. I was just trying to clarify exactly what was being meant by Asian massage parlor. And for those who are naively innocent on it, just google "Asian massage parlor". The first 3 hits for me are:

Asian massage parlor and guide to happy endings
Randy's Guide to Asian Massage parlors
The Wet Spot: The truth about asian massage parlors

So you see, there is a certain "expectation" one gets when one puts the word "asian" in front of massage parlor that wouldn't ordinarily be there. Try googling just "massage parlor" and you'll see the difference. One seems skanky, the other is a legitimate business term. Yet, I still wasn't offended.

It wasn't until the racial slur came out that I finally said "oh this shit ain't right".

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

I'm just gonna be frank. Zeke, don't leave the boards over this BS. I like you.. you're uncout and tell it like it is. You're no politically correct. I happen to think you're an ok dude. There's just this damn malaise of political correctness that has taken over the web and over modern society that has made everyone so damn oversensitive. I didn't think you posted anything wrong in this thread to begin with. Just take a few days off and come back to the board and talk about video and PC games.

Just don't get killed by putting unsafe tires in your car.  icon_razz
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2010, 04:03:08 PM »

PR_GMR, I actually don't think there is as much people whining for political correctness in this thread as there are people kind of rolling their eyes, saying 'again? really?' and then Zekester getting butt hurt and not understanding why people were rolling their eyes... which is a pattern that is repeated over and over in all these linked threads.  If there is anything to be said, not really in defense, but just said, it's that I really do think that he doesn't understand why people react to him the way that they do.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »

I'm sure there is political correctness in the world.  I'm sure there is bad, negative political correctness.

But to the extent "political correctness" means "boo hoo, I can't act like a dork without people calling me a dork," I don't give a shit.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on December 20, 2010, 06:49:09 PM

I'm sure there is political correctness in the world.  I'm sure there is bad, negative political correctness.

But to the extent "political correctness" means "boo hoo, I can't act like a dork without people calling me a dork," I don't give a shit.

I bet you didn't originally type 'dork' when you wrote that.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2010, 09:25:18 PM »

I'm just waiting for Zeke to come back.. again.. and explain more why he isn't posting here any more!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:24 AM »

Quote from: Crux on December 20, 2010, 09:25:18 PM

I'm just waiting for Zeke to come back.. again.. and explain more why he isn't posting here any more!

and further blame mods for his actions.  I've read this thread several times (unfortunately) and I don't see any trolling, just calling him out for an outrageous statement he made.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:09 AM »

here you go:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2010, 02:25:24 AM »

Just so you know, I'm almost pure blooded Asian (maybe 1/8-1/16 French), Vietnamese to be exact from a family that literally made it out on the last few helicopters going out from the Saigon Embassy, just to establish cred here.

I also played through the entirety of the old Shadow Warrior game, the most offensive game to Asians ever, and loved it because of the stupid level of Asian stereotypes.

My Aunt is a hair dresser/nail salon, she owns and has owned several stores.

She does actually know some friends who do massages. slywink Maybe asking for an Asian massage specifically would be pushing it, but just asking around for recommendations from one place you like isn't a bad thing, especially when it can funnel business to someone they like. In general though, to avoid issues in the first place, try the yellow pages. slywink
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2010, 02:42:59 AM »

Quote from: kratz on December 20, 2010, 04:03:08 PM

PR_GMR, I actually don't think there is as much people whining for political correctness in this thread as there are people kind of rolling their eyes, saying 'again? really?' and then Zekester getting butt hurt and not understanding why people were rolling their eyes... which is a pattern that is repeated over and over in all these linked threads.  If there is anything to be said, not really in defense, but just said, it's that I really do think that he doesn't understand why people react to him the way that they do.

Whatever overt racial slur he used in this thread earlier doesn't help matters, either.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:05 AM »

Christopher Walken is here to make it all better.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2010, 02:01:35 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 18, 2010, 04:38:55 PM

Even in uniform, the locals call me an "Oriental" in Georgia (Ft Benning) and Kentucy (Ft Knox)....lol

Or Pirate.

You know, on account of the eye patch.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »

Quote from: RobbieD on December 19, 2010, 12:08:46 AM

As a massage therapist I'm offended...but only a little. smile

Considering that most hair/nail salons and massage spas rely on each other for referrals he probably wouldn't have had to even ask. There's probably business cards or flyers on the wall in the nail salon bulletin board or table next to the door. All this ruckus for nothing....

You know that he was looking for a rub-n-tug right?

There was innuendo with regards to his gf preferring asians. I'm not entirely sure, and I don't object to the post. The slur was pulled before I got to see it. ATB used chink in a punchline image, so I'm going to guess that is what was dropped. I'm not seeing anyone yank that.

Zeke clearly responded poorly to the pile-on, and then grouping everyone here together in the act. I thought this was an interesting topic. I've looked at the GT links used, and while Zeke fires a few shots over some bows, they are in fact return-fire.

You don't get to complain about being hit by someone you took a swing at.

Eh, my 2 cents (as a GT member, not as staff). I'm not a mod; I think driving people away who are inherently different is a sad homogenization. When those people become a real problem is when you remove them. One racial slur is a talking-to (and IIRC it was borne out of the beginnings of a pile-on). Talking about prostitution, discussing ethnic sensitivity, or trying to find a present for a loved one who needs loving shouldn't be reasons to judge.

I've seen tire comments that refer back to a thread on another board. That might be important to you, but I'm not interested in digging through other people's posts across the internet. I'm sure we can all find threads HERE that could have gone better than their result.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:27:37 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »

Well I'll be damned...

Oriental Massage

(Saw this while taking the kid to see Santa at the mall)

Just a little hiccup.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »

Thanks, PR_GMR  icon_wink

PR_GMR, I actually don't think there is as much people whining for political correctness in this thread as there are people kind of rolling their eyes, saying 'again? really?' and then Zekester getting butt hurt and not understanding why people were rolling their eyes... which is a pattern that is repeated over and over in all these linked threads.  If there is anything to be said, not really in defense, but just said, it's that I really do think that he doesn't understand why people react to him the way that they do.

kratz, the only pattern to me is the pile-ons from the same members that don't contribute much to a thread other than to try and make me look like an ass. Digging up my old threads as the example here.

It wasn't until the racial slur came out that I finally said "oh this shit ain't right".

What racial slur? from someone else? because I dont think I made one.

and further blame mods for his actions.  I've read this thread several times (unfortunately) and I don't see any trolling, just calling him out for an outrageous statement he made.

members coming in to the thread and just posting bait material for other members to pile on isn't trolling? it's clear to me that there are posts that are just stabs, and don't pertain the thread subject. and its also clear to me that you agree with this behavior 100% as you do nothing about it except to pile on me some more.

She does actually know some friends who do massages. slywink Maybe asking for an Asian massage specifically would be pushing it, but just asking around for recommendations from one place you like isn't a bad thing, especially when it can funnel business to someone they like. In general though, to avoid issues in the first place, try the yellow pages. slywink

A useful response. Thanks, Turtle

You know that he was looking for a rub-n-tug right?

uhh, no...but my gf probably wouldn't object  icon_biggrin it would be considered the proverbial icing  icon_biggrin

Cool post. Thanks, Purge  icon_wink

Have a good Christmas, everyone  icon_wink except for you, Fed  finger

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:21:38 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2010, 12:23:32 AM »

I thought you left? Although you're blow ups aren't complete until you send me a PM asking me where I live so you can come kick my ass. I miss that. icon_cry
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »

Do you live near an Asian massage parlor Lee?  You could kill 2 birds with one stone that way  Tongue

Because I can,
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2010, 02:23:17 AM »

I'm stickin around just for you, Glee

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on December 24, 2010, 02:23:17 AM

Good, you never fail to entertain.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2010, 03:29:54 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 24, 2010, 02:40:28 AM

Quote from: Zekester on December 24, 2010, 02:23:17 AM

Good, you never fail to entertain.

Da Freakin' Pope! It's a Christmas miracle.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2010, 03:31:36 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 24, 2010, 03:29:54 AM

Da Freakin' Pope! It's a Christmas miracle.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2010, 09:06:43 AM »

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 24, 2010, 09:06:43 AM

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 24, 2010, 05:53:07 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 24, 2010, 09:06:43 AM

icon_lol
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2010, 11:54:16 PM »

If only being flipped off by Zekester could make me feel special or unique.  But I'm probably not even the only person he flipped off on Christmas Even in a dispute over handjobs.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: