http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AP Just reported Steve Jobs passed  (Read 2891 times)
ibdoomed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 06, 2011, 06:31:36 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 06, 2011, 06:25:11 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 06, 2011, 06:22:45 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 06, 2011, 06:21:08 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 06, 2011, 05:51:43 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, I knew the 4s was a flop and leave it to Jobs to make an extremist reaction.

My first reaction was "Damn why wasn't it George Lucas?". My second thought was "Good Riddance. Maybe apple will stop hating us now." One can only hope.

4S a flop? All because it didn't have a new form factor and was called '5'? good lord...

and "good riddance?" fucking hell, man.

I honestly wasn't aware that ibdoomed was 8.   icon_confused

I now feel that I know everything about him that I will ever need to.

Fine. I realize that equating Jobs alone for all the nightmare that apple causes me on a daily basis is wrong. I'm sure it's not just his fault. Much like I'm sure it's not Lucas alone farking up star wars.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »

Herman Cain says it's all your fault.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:34:15 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/last-american-who-knew-what-the-fuck-he-was-doing,26268/
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 06, 2011, 07:50:28 PM

icon_lol
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on October 06, 2011, 06:49:21 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah, I knew the 4s was a flop and leave it to Jobs to make an extremist reaction.

My first reaction was "Damn why wasn't it George Lucas?". My second thought was "Good Riddance. Maybe apple will stop hating us now." One can only hope.

4S a flop? All because it didn't have a new form factor and was called '5'? good lord...

Fine. I realize that equating Jobs alone for all the nightmare that apple causes me on a daily basis is wrong. I'm sure it's not just his fault. Much like I'm sure it's not Lucas alone farking up star wars.

Apple causes you to have nightmares? Are you sure you're just not allergic to delicious fruit?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 09:24:34 PM »

Rolling Stone has some very interesting archived interviews, including...

1994 interview (3 years before his return to Apple):
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/steve-jobs-in-1994-the-rolling-stone-interview-20110117
Quote from: Steve Jobs
People say sometimes, "You work in the fastest-moving industry in the world." I don't feel that way. I think I work in one of the slowest. It seems to take forever to get anything done. All of the graphical-user interface stuff that we did with the Macintosh was pioneered at Xerox PARC [the company's legendary Palo Alto Research Center] and with Doug Engelbart at SRI [a future-oriented think tank at Stanford] in the mid-'70s. And here we are, just about the mid-'90s, and it's kind of commonplace now. But it's about a 10-to-20-year lag. That's a long time.

The reason for that is, it seems to take a very unique combination of technology, talent, business and marketing and luck to make significant change in our industry. It hasn't happened that often.
To make step-function changes, revolutionary changes, it takes that combination of technical acumen and business and marketing — and a culture that can somehow match up the reason you developed your product and the reason people will want to buy it. I have a great respect for incremental improvement, and I've done that sort of thing in my life, but I've always been attracted to the more revolutionary changes. I don't know why. Because they're harder. They're much more stressful emotionally. And you usually go through a period where everybody tells you that you've completely failed.
Reading that does make me wonder if Apple's so pleased with iPad 2 and iPhone sales that the idea of truly shaking those up and doing something "revolutionary" would scare them... because doing so might fail. Which won't keep me from considering an iPhone. It's just a thought.  icon_smile

And some pretty interesting "crystal ball" stuff for 1994...
You can't open the paper these days without reading about the Internet and the information superhighway. Where is this all going?

Jobs: The Internet is nothing new. It has been happening for 10 years. Finally, now, the wave is cresting on the general computer user. And I love it. I think the den is far more interesting than the living room. Putting the Internet into people's houses is going to be really what the information superhighway is all about, not digital convergence in the set-top box. All that's going to do is put the video rental stores out of business and save me a trip to rent my movie. I'm not very excited about that. I'm not excited about home shopping. I'm very excited about having the Internet in my den.
Let's talk more about the Internet. Every month, it's growing by leaps and bounds. How is this new communications web going to affect the way we live in the future?
I don't think it's too good to talk about these kinds of things. You can open up any book and hear all about this kind of garbage.

I'm interested in hearing your ideas.
I don't think of the world that way. I'm a tool builder. That's how I think of myself. I want to build really good tools that I know in my gut and my heart will be valuable. And then whatever happens is... you can't really predict exactly what will happen, but you can feel the direction that we're going. And that's about as close as you can get. Then you just stand back and get out of the way, and these things take on a life of their own.
Nevertheless, you've often talked about how technology can empower people, how it can change their lives. Do you still have as much faith in technology today as you did when you started out 20 years ago?
Oh, sure. It's not a faith in technology. It's faith in people.

Explain that.
Technology is nothing. What's important is that you have a faith in people, that they're basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they'll do wonderful things with them. It's not the tools that you have faith in — tools are just tools. They work, or they don't work. It's people you have faith in or not. Yeah, sure, I'm still optimistic I mean, I get pessimistic sometimes but not for long.
Reading that today, I imagine in his heart he was more excited about what schools, hospitals, businesses, etc. do with iPads, than the hardware itself. He probably just saw those as "tools."  icon_smile

2003 interview:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/steve-jobs-rolling-stones-2003-interview-20111006

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 06, 2011, 09:21:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Apple causes you to have nightmares? Are you sure you're just not allergic to delicious fruit?

Maybe he got molested by the man who wore the Fruit of the Look apple suit when he was a kid....

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 10:52:41 PM »

I like this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/steve-jobs-dead,26266/

My favorite: "I hope Apple asked him for a few more ideas."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »

Quote from: Laner on October 06, 2011, 03:36:04 PM

xkcd's tribute: "Eternal Flame"

http://xkcd.com/961/

the alt-text is what really makes this one...

There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 02:42:31 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 06, 2011, 10:52:41 PM

I like this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/steve-jobs-dead,26266/

My favorite: "I hope Apple asked him for a few more ideas."

On the flipside:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-user-acting-like-his-dad-just-died,26270/

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »

I thought this was an interesting article about people who have worked with Steve Jobs in the past.  Very eye opening.  Sounds like the guy really had the drive of a superhuman.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/canadian-reflections-on-steve-jobs-theres-none-like-him/article2193380/
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »

If you never saw the 1999 Macworld keynote in NYC, with Noah Wyle (who played Jobs in TNT's '99 film, "Pirates of Silicon Valley) trying to pass himself off as Jobs (at Jobs' invitation -- he apparently liked Wylie's performance, just not the movie as a whole)...  icon_smile Wyle seems a bit too young to pass off as Jobs (about 44 then), but makes sense as he was playing the younger iteration of him in the TV film. This was just a couple years after his return to Apple (at the end of '96).

Macworld NY 1999-Noah Wyle imitating Steve Jobs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIClAanU7Os

And ran into this piece, reprinting Wyle's thoughts in '99 about Jobs:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/07/noah-wyle-steve-jobs/?source=cnn_bin&hpt=hp_bn5
Anyway, when the event was over, he invited me to have dinner with him at a soba-noodle shop in downtown Manhattan. My wife was invited, too, along with his executive-design team. And I kick myself over what happened next. They all—I don't want to say they live in fear of him—are certainly are subservient to his will and whim. But I had no dog in the race I felt much freer to crack jokes and engage him in conversation, which surprised them a bit. At a certain point in the meal, out of nowhere, he turned to his designers and said, "You know what I want to make?" And they all snapped their heads around and replied, What, Steve? What, Steve?"

"You know those picture frames that has my kid in his baseball cap and uniform?"

"Yeah, Steve! Yeah, Steve! We know picture frames!"

"Well, I want to make a picture frame where the picture's not a picture, but a little movie of the kid swinging the bat and hitting the ball. Can we do that?"

"We can do that, Steve!" said the designers in unison.

"I'll show you what I mean."

And he took his napkin and started sketching out the schematics and he passed the napkin around the table. They all approved the design – nobody touched it, there were no changes or suggestions. The check soon came and we started to get up the leave—and the napkin just sat there on the table. I thought to myself, "I got to take that napkin" and my hand was on it, but Steve called from the door and asked, "Noah, you want to share a cab with me?" So I put the napkin down. I could have had an Edison original.
I don't if that was a precursor to digital photo frames, or maybe a very crude iPad.  icon_smile

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:38:32 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 10:16:03 PM »

Reading more about him, I have to say: I don't think I would want to work for the man, nor would I have him as a close friend. But I'm also glad there are people out there with his drive and will. It's just not the presence I would want in my life on a regular basis.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on October 06, 2011, 09:21:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Not that kind of nightmare. Because of all the hatred that apple has for the business world, they add a lot to my daily workload.

For instance:

Time Machine doesn't officially work over a network to anything but a time capsule unless you hack the com.apple.systempreferences through the terminal then jump through hoops of creating the sparse.bundle file yourself. Then every update, or randomly for no apparent reason, it breaks and you have to do it all again. Just to try and sell more time capsules.

Support is terrible. For instance, I had a magic trackpad die recently, doesn't function on any macbook around, and since it's only a couple months old, I called to have it replaced but they require I be at the specific users macbook, mine isn't good enough. I've been through things like this before, we usually give up as the time spent trying to make apple replace something under warranty costs us more than just replacing it.

Apple is also the only major computer manufacturer that will not send us parts when something like a motherboard goes bad. Everyone else will, lenovo, hp, dell, ibm, mpc (gone, cry), sony, toshiba and we're not "certified" with anyone.

Then there's the whole "can't buy from anyone but direct from apple or apple doesn't honor the warranty" crap.

Transfer mode us firewire only but then they remove firewire and don't implement it over usb? Nice.

How about needlessly proprietary hardware like hard drives? Thankfully there's transfer mode... oh wait...

I should stop, this just raises my blood pressure.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »

Probably a good idea-and I don't see any connection with the death of Steve Jobs.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »

Someone asked him to elaborate. He's definitely nailed the walled garden issues down pat.

On the other hand, I am pretty tired right now.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »

Just saw this (catching up with web comics).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »

his sister reveals his last words:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/30/us/steve-jobs-eulogy/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6

With his family surrounding him, Simpson said, Jobs' last words were: "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. "

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2011, 05:32:10 PM

his sister reveals his last words:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/30/us/steve-jobs-eulogy/index.html?hpt=hp_bn6

With his family surrounding him, Simpson said, Jobs' last words were: "Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow. "

Did he see a double rainbow?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »

my initial thought was that he was actually saying "oh...ow!" because his sister was sitting on his IV cord.   icon_redface

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »

Sort of reminds me of Star Trek Generations when Kirk died saying "oh my..."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on October 31, 2011, 08:24:14 PM

Sort of reminds me of Star Trek Generations when Kirk died saying "oh my..."

You know, I always expected Kirk to die ON the bridge, not under one.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 05:06:40 PM »

Captain on the bridge!

Bridge on the captain!

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »

The things you find on the Internet...  icon_eek

Dead Steve Jobs Selling New Android Tablet in Taiwan

http://kotaku.com/5881557/dead-steve-jobs-selling-new-tablet-in-taiwan/gallery/1
Now, only months after his death, a fake Steve Jobs is promoting an Android powered tablet called the "Action Pad" in a Taiwanese commercial. In it, Taiwanese actor Ah Ken, who has previously imitated the former Apple exec, plays Jobs.

Dressed in a Jobs' trademark black turtleneck, the fake Jobs pulls the Action Pad from his pocket-much like Jobs famously pulled new devices from his pocket during presentations-and puts his hands together in a gesture that resembles praying. At the end of the commercial, the fake Jobs says, "Thank God, I can play another pad."
*Facially, the guy hardly resembles Jobs, and can you really trademark a black turtleneck and jeans? Still be interesting whether Apple's lawyers find it something they wanna chase down with threats.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

Wow, that's in poor taste.  But good luck enforcing any kind of business laws in that area. 

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 05:58:35 PM »

Saw the topic back on the front page and feared that he died again. Whew!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on February 02, 2012, 05:58:35 PM

Saw the topic back on the front page and feared that he died again. Whew!

icon_lol
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »

Steve Jobs lives! ... in wax form anyway....

Apple's Steve Jobs wax figure unveiled by Madame Tussauds
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a408498/apples-steve-jobs-wax-figure-unveiled-by-madame-tussauds.html
The figure was created at a cost of HK$1,500,000 (£120,000), with a dedicated team spending three months capturing the likeness.
The Steve Jobs sculpture will be on display at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong between September 27 and November 26, before traveling on to Madame Tussauds Bangkok and then Madame Tussauds Shanghai.
My God! He's in good enough shape to travel... icon_eek

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2012, 02:24:26 AM »

In his honor, it will be the thinnest, lightest wax figure ever.  Tongue
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:15 AM »

But the Maps app will place the statue in Madagascar.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on September 27, 2012, 04:12:15 AM

But the Maps app will place the statue in Madagascar.

icon_lol

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »

I was in London last year and couldn't believe the line to get into Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum.  Can someone please explain the appeal of going into a place to look at wax figures that resemble celebrities?  I know, different strokes for different folks, but I can't imagine choosing a wax museum over a real museum. 

"Do you want to go to see the Tower of London?"
"No.  I want to go to the wax museum.  They just unveiled the new Steve Jobs wax figure."

To me this is the equivalent of going to Italy and eating at KFC.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »

Would you go to a real museum to see a statue of Caesar? Is this really any different? Recent celebrities like Steve Jobs is pretty ridiculous but if they had a life-sized, life-like wax statue of Winston Churchill or something like that then hell yeah I'd be interested in going. Especially if there was information about the people in question just like a real museum.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:40 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on September 27, 2012, 02:27:17 PM

I was in London last year and couldn't believe the line to get into Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum.  Can someone please explain the appeal of going into a place to look at wax figures that resemble celebrities?  I know, different strokes for different folks, but I can't imagine choosing a wax museum over a real museum. 

"Do you want to go to see the Tower of London?"
"No.  I want to go to the wax museum.  They just unveiled the new Steve Jobs wax figure."

To me this is the equivalent of going to Italy and eating at KFC.

The wax museum itself is, in it being the only one of its kind of the world, a curiosity. It also tells a lot about important historical figures which is why people find it interesting, just like any other museum.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »

They better give one to Bill Gates when he passes, he's arguably the better person overall, and didn't get killed because he wanted to take herbs instead of going to a doctor for a rare deadly cancer that happened to, even more rarely, be much more treatable than usual.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 30, 2012, 12:06:19 PM

and didn't get killed because he wanted to take herbs instead of going to a doctor for a rare deadly cancer that happened to, even more rarely, be much more treatable than usual.

What does this have to do with anything?  Dude had standards and did things his way.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »

Who is the next Steve Jobs (and is there one)?
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/02/tech/innovation/next-steve-jobs/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

More interesting is...

Who is the next Steve Jobs among Gaming Trend people?
Ron Burke
Pros: Hardware genius whose crack volunteer team creates breakthrough message board forum infrastructure with modest resources.
Cons: Doesn't yell, scream at and belittle people. Doesn't employ underpaid sweatshop workers in China who sleep in submarine-cabin-like bunkbed quarters. Doesn't pretend that product flaws are "working as intended."

CeeKay
Pros: Posts in every thread ever created at the GT forums. Buys every single game and DLC ever offered in the history of Steam. Disagrees with every opinion Blackjack ever states at the forums.
Cons: He's CeeKay.

Blackjack
Pros: Erratic, bipolar forum behavior. Sometimes offends other forum-ites in a Jobsian manner when he's trying to be funny... maybe even in this post.
Cons: Attention deficit order and burnout prone in terms of gaming interest. Overly long pull quotes when citing links -- clearly inefficient in a way Jobs would never put up with.

Destructor
Pros: When angry, cusses like a sailor. Jobs would approve.
Cons: None.

Therefore, Destructor is the next Steve Jobs!  Torches and Happiness!

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »

Just for that the next time someone bitches about something I do to the forums or main site I'm going to tell them "you're holding it wrong"

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »

Huh. I'm the next Steve Jobs. Woot?

*cusses like a sailor and runs out of the thread*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: