http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:15:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using a Safety, Straight, or Electric razor?  (Read 4877 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 19, 2008, 03:57:16 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on March 19, 2008, 02:54:47 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 19, 2008, 05:11:39 AM

I use the Gillette Fusion and it blows the Mach 3 out of the water.

I agree, been using the new brand for awhile now.

I have no issues using water to tap out and clean while using the razor. I replace the blade every 3 shaves.

Jesus I don't know what a Gillette Fusion costs but if it's anything like a Mach 3 then that must cost a fortune!!!  I use Mach 3 and I replace my razor every....3 weeks, or maybe more.  I don't shave every day but usually I do.

Wow, I can't imagine replacing a blade that often.  I have gone up to a month of near daily shaving on one blade before since the damn things cost a fortune.  Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't replace a blade every 3 shaves.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on March 22, 2008, 06:27:50 PM

Quote from: Semaj on March 22, 2008, 08:29:28 AM

You are making me almost really consider a straight razor.

Just cause there's quite a difference... You want a safety razor, not straight.

Quote from: Austin on March 22, 2008, 12:31:14 PM

Yeah but do you have a whole 15 minute shaving ritual?  Heating up the foam, wetting the brush, lathering, lathering, lathering... shaving slooowly?

I use the same shaving cream (some cheap Nivea stuff) I used when I had a Gillette MachKillerFusion 9000. No elaborate ritual, no brush made from the hair of an endangered Brazilian sloth, and it takes just as long as it took with the MachKillerFusion 9000.

OK now you fuckers are tempting me.  Next time my Mach FUTUAR blades run out, I'm gonna give a safety razor a try.

gellar
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »

gellar comes back 3 months later after accidentally cutting his juggular with a safety razor....

That BTW would stop me from using them... ever...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 23, 2008, 04:38:17 PM

Quote from: Canuck on March 19, 2008, 03:57:16 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on March 19, 2008, 02:54:47 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 19, 2008, 05:11:39 AM

I use the Gillette Fusion and it blows the Mach 3 out of the water.

I agree, been using the new brand for awhile now.

I have no issues using water to tap out and clean while using the razor. I replace the blade every 3 shaves.

Jesus I don't know what a Gillette Fusion costs but if it's anything like a Mach 3 then that must cost a fortune!!!  I use Mach 3 and I replace my razor every....3 weeks, or maybe more.  I don't shave every day but usually I do.

Wow, I can't imagine replacing a blade that often.  I have gone up to a month of near daily shaving on one blade before since the damn things cost a fortune.  Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't replace a blade every 3 shaves.

I may try the safety razor. I simply have no choice to switch out the blade that often. I have been doing it since I started shaving over 25 years ago. When I shaved every day a blade would last a week, switching to every other day is easier on my skin but the blade still lasts just a week. I know it sound like the I am being frivolous, but I simply just can't use a blade beyond that amount of time without ripping my face apart and having ingrown hairs all over the place.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2008, 05:18:25 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on March 23, 2008, 06:53:15 PM

I may try the safety razor. I simply have no choice to switch out the blade that often. I have been doing it since I started shaving over 25 years ago. When I shaved every day a blade would last a week, switching to every other day is easier on my skin but the blade still lasts just a week. I know it sound like the I am being frivolous, but I simply just can't use a blade beyond that amount of time without ripping my face apart and having ingrown hairs all over the place.

Maybe it's the way you shave? I shave 5 days a week and probably go around 2 months on a blade. Even then I don't cut myself.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »

LOL, come on, the way I shave? It comes down to a situation where you are using a blade to cut a lawn and I am trying to use the same thing to cut a forest of Oaks.
ALL blades are effected by what they are trying to cut.

Example: Fire department saws used to cut through car steel like butter. These same saws and blades are almost useless now that manufacturers are using stronger steel for cars.

Sensitive skin + thick coarse hair = shaving nightmare. I even went to a few doctor's when I was younger and they advised to shave every other day or not at all.

I did have a full beard at one time, but in AZ it's just too hot for a full beard, at least for me.

unbreakable
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »

I know what you mean.  My skin isn't quite so sensitive, but if the blade isn't sharp, my skin will bleed like a stuck pig.

One time I used some cheapo disposable razor being given away as a free sample... OMG that was awful, there was blood all over.  It wasn't even cuts, it was just that the skin bleeds.

Now I notice if the blade on my disposable gets dull, my skin starts to bleed, so I just grab another razor.  The best disposables, IMO, are Schick (I like the Slim Twin, but I tried out a Quattro sample, and it was really damn good.  Those cost too much though, and I'm considering getting out of disposables anyhow).

I also started shaving in the direction of the hair first, then going against it after most of the hair is gone.  It helps a little, but it does take more time (since it's essentially shaving twice).

BTW, I should have posted this earlier, since it was what got me thinking about switching in the first place:
How to shave like your grandpa.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:23:04 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 07:02:24 PM »

Hell if I know DamageInc, just an idea. Just seems strange that you get cut up, thought maybe you pressed too hard, went against the grain at an odd angle or something. Been shaving myself for 18 years or so and can't think of the last time I cut myself even when using a disposable.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 24, 2008, 07:02:24 PM

Hell if I know DamageInc, just an idea. Just seems strange that you get cut up, thought maybe you pressed too hard, went against the grain at an odd angle or something. Been shaving myself for 18 years or so and can't think of the last time I cut myself even when using a disposable.

I actually don't get cut up that much, hardly ever. My issue is that I get severe ingrown hairs and "bumps" if I use a dull razor or any kind of electric razor. Sometimes I will get razor burn too.
The only thing that has worked so far is the Gillette series of razors and moisturizing cream. I can only shave one way as well. Going the opposite way will cause the same issues. I shave down on the sides of my face and up along the neck area.

Heck I wish it was easier, but I can't control what I was given  icon_lol

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »

You guys  talked me into it, Im getting a safety razor. Im tired of the gimmicks.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »

Quote from: Austin on March 22, 2008, 12:31:14 PM

Yeah but do you have a whole 15 minute shaving ritual?  Heating up the foam, wetting the brush, lathering, lathering, lathering... shaving slooowly?

Austin, you know I have 2 kids.  Do you think if I had 15 minutes spare, I'd spend it on shaving?

It's about as fast as when I shaved with the old razor.  Nothing in my shaving "ritual" has changed...except the blade.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »

So where do you buy the blades for those razors like the Merkur?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2008, 02:55:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 28, 2008, 02:33:43 AM

So where do you buy the blades for those razors like the Merkur?
Pretty much anywhere. They're called double-edged razors, IIRC. I bought my 25 pack at Walgreens for like $4 or $5.

PSN ID: EduardoX
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2008, 11:27:55 PM »

A FEW WEEKS IN and my VERDICT IS IN:

I wouldnt go back to a mach 3 for free.

The Safety Razor has a learning curve, but once you get the knack, its the best shave I have ever had!!! HANDS DOWN.

And is so much cheaper!BRAVO!

I also got a hot lather machine and a badger hair brush... Shaving is fun now

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2008, 11:32:39 PM »

GTFE.  I might have to give it a shot.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »

SO which Merkur are people using.  So many choices.  some are $25.00 and some are hundreds of dollars sold with fancy stands and kits.  8ball linked to a specific one but it has some open/closed option and it kinda' look like it has jagged teeth of suffering. 
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »

Quote from: Austin on April 10, 2008, 11:32:39 PM

GTFE.  I might have to give it a shot.

I don't recall making this post.  What does GTFE mean anyway?  Bizarre. 
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

Okay all you Merkur users, I purchased one and the Merkur blades but for the life of me it does not give a close shave, at least not like a Fusion.  Is there some special technique or is my beard just not suited for a safety razor?  I never shave against the grain with the safety razor but this then leaves me with a fairly rough face.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »

Quote from: Austin on March 19, 2008, 01:19:04 PM

Mach 3 cuts through my iron beard with the greatest of ease and doesn't clog.

Ok, Guan Yu. smile (iron beard indeed)

I use a Phillishave 3 head cordless razor for my head, and then trim it with the Quattro or Fusion. On my face, only the Fusion. As to the clogging, if it ever does I just bang it on the edge of the sink.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 23, 2008, 02:27:34 PM

Okay all you Merkur users, I purchased one and the Merkur blades but for the life of me it does not give a close shave, at least not like a Fusion.  Is there some special technique or is my beard just not suited for a safety razor?  I never shave against the grain with the safety razor but this then leaves me with a fairly rough face.
I feel as if the shave isn't as close as well, but I find it well worth it to have more hair and less ingrown hairs.
I bet if you make it a sharper angle, it'll be closer, but down that road lies blood.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

So they do or do not shave as well as my Mach Turbo Extreme 3 Sensor Excel? 
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »

I shave against the grain with my Merkur and get a great shave every day.  The trick to shaving against the grain is to soften your face as much as you can by splashing hot water on it.  It helps if you do it right after the shower, but if you're not doing it after the shower then a few seconds of hot water on the face works pretty well.

As for the fancy creams and brushes, you don't have to go that route.  You can still use the canned stuff if you like.  Soaps or creams made for a brush are indeed better (much better in my opinion), but that's where you start getting into some serious money.  The soaps and creams aren't that expensive, but a good brush can cost you $150.  The benefit of that setup is that it makes shaving much more enjoyable.

The best razor blades I've found are Personna blades made in Israel.  I buy them off Evay in boxes of 100.  I've only had to buy one box so far and it cost me $16.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

Okay, I ordered some of the oil linked on the first page (and got to tell everyone "I planted a tree today!" for the rest of the day) and will order myself a Merkur HD Classic sometime within the next paycheck or two when I can fit it in the budget.  I've still got like 5 or 6 cartridges to use up with my 5 bladded terror before I'll be clear to move on to something else, will check back in then.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »

Did you shave against the grain with the Fusion?
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on April 24, 2008, 02:04:29 PM

Did you shave against the grain with the Fusion?

Shaving against the grain frightens me.  I have visions of burn and in-growns.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »

Quote from: Austin on April 24, 2008, 02:09:10 PM

Shaving against the grain frightens me.  I have visions of burn and in-growns.

Oh definitely. I just asked because if Jaddison shaved against the grain with the Fusion and then with the grain with a safety razor and expected the same closeness, it's probably not going to happen.

I would say if you shaved against the grain successfully with the Fusion (no irritation, etc...) then follow McNutt's advice and try it with the safety razor. We are not responsible for injuries.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:51:10 PM by Mookee » Logged
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »

I just bought a reel mower.  I'm not sure if an old school razor would warp time and space around me right now.  Still it's really expensive buying those cartridges. 
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:23 PM »

I bought 20 blades yesterday for $3.08.  nod
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »

I do on occasion shave against the grain with the Fusion, have not tried it yet with the Merkur.  But I think even comparing with the grain the Fusion is a closer shave.  I keep thinking I am doing something wrong but I have tried different angles and still no joy.  But, my expectations may be too high.  i have a beard where the "grain" of my facial hair changes quite a bit on different areas of my face so wayyyy back when women complained that my face was too rough when kissing.  This lead me to shave against the grain and made women much happier.  This may be where my raised expectations of close shave come from.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:59 PM »

Damn, now you've gotten me all intrigued on this safety razor stuff. Can I ask a question though? How do you know when the blades need replacing? I have really light facial hair (damn my Asian genes) but what I can grow grows fast enough that I have to shave every two days, just to avoid looking stupid. I'm guessing I'll probably get a bit more use out of the razor blade than those of you with thicker hair but will I just know that my blades need to be changed?

And color me completely ignorant but before I go rubbing a sharp blade across my face, I want to make sure: I buy the safety razor, lather up with that Shaving Oil someone mentioned, shave (against the grain? with?) and rinse off and that's it right?

And before you ask, I am not a 15 year old who just grew his first facial hair, even though I sound like it in this post... icon_biggrin

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

Quote from: RightBastard on April 24, 2008, 05:59:59 PM

How do you know when the blades need replacing?

This guide wrote:

"Buy the best blades available and change them at least once each week."
Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »

I just got a Merkur myself, using their blades I have to change them out after 3 shaves max.   

Sometimes, just after one if I let my beard get too heavy.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »

I change my blades every Sunday.  I could probably go longer, but at $0.16/blade it's no loss.  Some blades really nick the crap out of me and I'll throw them out that day.  Some blades seem to go much longer without dulling.  A dull blade will tug the skin a bit. 

Shaving with a safety razor is very similar to a cartridge razor in prep.  The only difference is the blade angle and that you DO NOT apply pressure like you do with a cartridge. 

I have no experience with shaving oil, but I can say that once you use a good brush and cream/soap, you'll never go back to canned stuff. 

A good place to buy these products is Lee's Razors.  Also, a great place to buy homemade soaps and creams is Saint Charles Shave.  Her shaving soaps are fantastic and pretty cheap too. 

RightBastard - light facial hair is a blessing, not a curse.   icon_biggrin
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »

The safety razors look interesting... I might buy one.

But I do have a question... Can you use it with just water?

You see, I currently use cheap disposables (Gillette Good News!), double razors, non-flexible head. I shave in the shower. Never used any shaving cream or anything. Just wet my face up and shave.

Never had a problem.

I'm wondering if I can do the same with the Merkur?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 06:07:43 AM by Raven VII » Logged
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on April 24, 2008, 09:02:53 PM

RightBastard - light facial hair is a blessing, not a curse.   icon_biggrin

Unless you want to grow a badass beard, at which point, I'm SOL.  icon_biggrin

Alright, I'm convinced. I'm going straight razor. Sick of buying those expensive cartridges anyway. And besides, there's something awesomely manly about the whole concept. Thanks guys!

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »

Okay, used the Merkur today and I think I understand why I was questioning closeness.  I use this shaving cream http://www.labseries.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY6291&PRODUCT_ID=PROD9330
Which is amazing, one jar can last a six months or more and it mildly numbs your face.  i never have nicks, rashes or anything using this and I have been using it for about 20 years now.  As another plus, once women use this to shave their legs they never want to use any other kind of shaving cream.  Yeah it's $20 but you use so little each shave and the performance is amazing that it is actually cheaper than most other shaving creams.

Back to the Merkur, about an hour after shaving the shave feels much closer than it did in the shower so now I think I understand that once my facial hair has relaxed again after the shaving cream is off and some good after shave balm is on it is actually much closer than I thought.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »

So I've been using my Merkur safety razor for a few weeks now.  I nicked myself on the first day, but that's it.  There was also one day where I got screwed up and thought that my razor wasn't going to work out.  I skipped shaving Fri-Sun and was shaving on Monday morning.  I put a new razor in to attack the growth.  It wasn't even denting my stubble though.  I mean like taking off the slightest bit of the tips of the hairs maybe.  Pretty much just left shaving dust in the sink.  I wound up using a cartridge I had and thought that I perhaps needed a more open comb or something.  It was my first blade change so I also thought I might have gotten a bad apple in the blades. 

Long story short, turns out I put the blade in but attached the bottom comb/guard piece upside down.  This just left the blade firmly placed against the guard and was allowing only the slightest of trimmings.  I figured that out and now I love it.  A part of me also enjoys the little stand with brush and razor hanging there with a soap bowl across the sink.  It's cost me more thus far but I figure in about 6 months of razors I'll be up and after that it's all gravy. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 03:54:11 PM by Austin » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: