http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:30:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use Rhapsody music system?  (Read 998 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:27:15 AM »

So i get my new mp3 player today and they have flyer in the package for Rhapsody 1 month free trial.  So i go to the website and i'm confused as to how this works.  I'm reading one place that downloading songs and transferring them to your mp3 player is free and then i'm reading about a membership fee.

So what is it?  Is it free "IF" i have a subscription or is it really free?   Someone give me the lowdown.  Some reason i'm thinking it's not really free.....or is it?

Ok, i just reread there FAQ and it is subscription.  So my next question, does anyone use it?  I normally use iTunes, but can you download and transfer all you want for $10 a month.  I have a free month that came with my mp3 player and if thats the case, i can get a ton of stuff for the first month.  Anyone use it?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 02:32:54 AM by Xmann » Logged

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:44:21 AM »

I've used Rhapsody for a while, and it's pretty good. But there are few issues

1. You can't transfer music to your Ipod (if thats what your using)
2. It actually costs 15 to transfer music to your mp3 player (I might be wrong)
3. Some songs you have to pay to listen to, but for the most part they have a great selection.
4. Cancelling is a pain in the ass, you have to call a call center in India (could be wrong)

Aside from that I used it and enjoyed it.

Ascendent
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:13:02 PM »

I installed Rhapsody years ago -- at the time, that version caused my system to lock up and crash.  It was a pretty cool application though; I'd say use the free month, grab as much as you can, and cancel if you don't love it.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:52:17 PM »

I've subscribed to Rhapsody for a few years now and love it. I use it at home and at work. For $10 a month you can listen to music using Rhapsody or download *most* of the songs to your PC and listen to them from there without signing in. You'll have to sign in every week or two to verify that you are still a subscriber. For $15 a month you get "Rhapsody To Go" with which you can transfer songs to your non-Ipod mp3 player and listen to songs on the go. Again, you'll still have to sign in every now and then to verify that you are a subscriber.

The wife and I love Rhapsody, definitley worth the money for me.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:33:40 PM »

so for the free month i can download all i want and transfer them to my non-iPod?  the only concern i have is having to call to cancel.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 02:05:01 AM »

I don't know much about Rhapsody but I have a couple of friends that use eMusic and they really like it.  The songs there are in platform independent mp3 files that can be used on any device including the iPod and can be burned to CD and such.  Their catalog is focused on independent labels so depending on your tastes that might appeal to you or turn you off, but apparently they have a pretty large selection. 

I just checked the site and they have a 25 song free demo that you can sign up for and the subscriptions start at $10 for 40 downloads a month.  Not sure about their method of cancellation.   Just checked their site FAQ and apparently you can cancel from your account page online.  Bonus! icon_wink
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:06:48 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »

*wipes cobwebs off the topic*

As a new Vista 64-bit user, have a big warning to anyone in my boat considering Rhapsody -- they don't currently support *any* 64-bit systems with their Rhapsody software. This has left me in the lurch with my Rhapsody-branded Sansa e260R (I love it and like Rhapsody's monthly "all you can eat" music subscription, though the Software was incredibly finicky about updating properly or behaving unless you turned all of IE's security features to the minimum).
http://www.rhapsody.com/-software

And this isn't one of those "doesn't have a native 64-bit version"; the software just doesn't work on 64-bit OSs at all (afik). From what I've read, they haven't been able to find a way to get Rhapsody to take advantage of the 32-bit emulator stuff that (so far) has let me run most games and programs without problems.

After weeding through the manual, I can switch the Sansa to Plays for Sure (MTP- Media Transfer Protocol) mode, which will at least let me still burn my CDs (I still buy those neanderthal things on occasion) and presumably let me use another service if I can find one whose software will work with 64-bit Vista. But I've got probably a thousand or more songs on it via Rhapsody, and I don't really want to have to keep my old PC hooked up just to keep that alive. I guess if I'm brave I could set up 32-bit Vista, or XP, on this system's second hard drive and dual-boot. But the Rhapsody software is a pain anyway.

I really do prefer the subscription type music service, but it sounds like iTunes 7.6 and later works fine in 64-bit Vista out of the box, so I might look in that as an option.

I guess this shouldn't surprise me. As much as I like Windows XP, I remember grousing quite a bit about favorite older Win95/98 games I couldn't run on XP, even in compatibility modes. It just wasn't something I was thinking of when I picked out my new PC. Heck, I didn't even realize my new HP had the 64-bit Vista version.  saywhat
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:10:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

I'm going ahead and canceling, but much to my horror, Rhapsody has an AOL/credit card-style "You must call us and listen to annoying reps try to convince you not to cancel" policy in order to cancel. So far every MMO I've played lets you quickly and painlessly cancel (even WoW) online, with some optional "feedback" stuff, so here's hoping the music services follow the game publishers' lead some day.

I anticipate when I explain the software doesn't work with Windows Vista 64-bit, they'll start reading from a "script" about how wonderful Rhapsody is. disgust

I found this interesting Wired blog post about a guy's experience canceling three music services (all ones that use DRM):
http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/12/why-and-how-i-c.html
Quote from: Wired blog post about canceling Rhapsody
The FAQ implies that you can cancel online, but when I followed those directions, I reached a page that told me to call 866.597.5465 if I wanted to cancel (here we go again).

After 2 minutes on hold, a Russian sounding man asked for my email address and account number.  When I said I wanted to cancel because of DRM, he read what I know was a script, because he read one paragraph twice.  The spiel involved telling me that Rhapsody has 4.5 million songs, recently added new features, and offers MP3 downloads for some songs.  Good points -- especially the last one -- but I wanted to cancel anyway.  He said an email would arrive extolling more of Rhapsody's virtues; by responding to that in the negative, I could cancel.
Oh boy, "Russian sounding man." A hockey player?  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: