http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:08:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone remember M.A.S.K.?  (Read 2843 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2005, 05:39:48 PM »

KD's Transformers post reminded me of this.  Over Easter my nephew saw an old toy of mine.  It was a helicopter that transformed into a jet.  He played with that for the rest of the night.  I know that they weren't as cool as Transformers, but I have fond memories of them.  Does anyone else?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 05:58:18 PM »

Good God, MASKs were my favourite toys when I was a kid. I even loved the over-sized and lop-sided masks that went on the little dude's heads. I remember one toy which was like a Winnebago that changed into a rocket launcher and jet plane. I mean hell, how can you go wrong with that?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 06:20:44 PM »

When I was a kid, I acquired the big truck with two projectile missiles in the back. True, the MASKs of the two guys that came with it were never the coolest from the bunch, but damn was that truck rockin'.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 07:22:34 PM »

i used to watch the M.A.S.K. cartoon all the time and loved.  unfortunately, i only had one of the toys because i had to choose between MASK or Transformers...i still have my VENOM Stinger toy packed away.  it's hard to beat an old GTO that turns into a heavily-armed tank  :twisted:

just to mention another great toy line based on a cartoon from the about the same time...anyone else remember Sky Commanders?  my brother and i loved stringing those toys all over the living room, but my mom absolutely hated it.  i still have a few of those around as well :cool:

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 07:29:33 PM »

Woah, woah, woah ... why does Sky Commanders sound familiar? Give a little more info, if ya could.

Since we're kicking around in the cash machine cartoon/toy nostalgia moment, anyone remember the Real Ghost Busters and the toys that went along with them? The crazy photon packs with the clear squiggly plastic stream that you could twist around? Man, those things were magical when I was young. Getting one of the Busters was like receiving a Holy relic - awe inspiring.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 07:46:37 PM »

when i was young, there were no toys... :roll:   well, okay - we did have mud! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 08:45:06 PM »

Yes, I loved M.A.S.K.  I had some huge volcano base and a big helicopter!
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 10:33:35 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Woah, woah, woah ... why does Sky Commanders sound familiar? Give a little more info, if ya could.

i found a page with pics of the toys...they were the best part of the whole idea.  the show wasn't all that great, but the toys were very cool.  have a look here!

the toys/vehicles clamped onto furniture, and you could run strings/belts all over the room.  the vehicles and figures were made to travel across the strings, and the figures all had an elastic cord attached to them so they could swing around or slide down the "cables."  my favorite toy of the bunch (which i still have) was the 'Battle Track Protector' because it had a cool belt that you pulled out and strung across the room, and the little wind-up gun carriage would give your guys a ride across Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 10:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
my favorite toy of the bunch (which i still have) was the 'Battle Track Protector' because it had a cool belt that you pulled out and strung across the room, and the little wind-up gun carriage would give your guys a ride across Cool

I had that toy, and a couple of other Sky Commander toys. I always used my GI Joes with them too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 11:58:01 PM »

Sorry,
Micronauts>M.A.S.K.

Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 02:43:22 AM »

My favorite was the '57 blue Chevy that turned into a kind of a tank. I had a few M.A.S.K. figures (and probably still do in my Mom's basement), but that was the best.

While we continue the nostalgia kick, anyone remember Wheeled Warriors toys? It has futuristic-looking cars controlled by humans against classic car-type vehicles controlled by plant brains. I had a few of them, and I still can't believe my mom gave them away to some dumb childrens' hospital. :x

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 03:34:19 AM »

I Loved M.A.S.K.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 06:36:19 AM »

Oh my God, I am freaking right out. Sky Commanders!!!! Those things were awesome!! And the blue Chevy MASK car that had the tank turret pop out of the roof, and the saw blades and the mines in the back - I had that one too!

Man, back when toys could compete with video games.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 07:23:25 AM »

isn't that the truth...there are a few cool toys out now, but for the most part i don't think they can hold a candle to the stuff we used to have.  i know i have much younger cousins that see my old toys and think they're far cooler than the stuff they have at home.  new toys just can't compete with the classics like Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Sky Commanders...the list goes on and on...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 11:53:13 AM »

isn't that the truth...there are a few cool toys out now, but for the most part i don't think they can hold a candle to the stuff we used to have.  i know i have much younger cousins that see my old toys and think they're far cooler than the stuff they have at home.  new toys just can't compete with the classics like Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Sky Commanders...the list goes on and on...

That's because toys had a much more in depth tie in with the shows and series.  Current toys just don't have thesame level of marketing and tie in that we had in the mid to early 80s.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 02:52:09 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
 Current toys just don't have thesame level of marketing and tie in that we had in the mid to early 80s.

You must not have kids/know any.  Somehow you have missed this whole Powerranger thing thats been going on for about 10 years now  :wink:
Plenty of marketing with that cash cow.  

I think toys have gotten to PC in this age of the lawsuit.  That and GI joe still has the patent on the 'kung fu grip'.  No better action figure then early 80's Joes.

morlac00 on PSN
Qbert
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 04:26:32 PM »

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 05:21:37 PM »

Holy crap holy crap holy crap...

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »

I still have a few stashed somwhere.

Man did I love those toys.

I even have 1 episode of the cartoon on tape as well..too bad the quality really sucked.

How does this work again?
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 06:49:22 AM »

Yep. I had the Piranha which was a sidecar motorcycle that turns into a sub and the Hurricane (Blue Chevy) that Grievous mentions.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 03:25:52 PM »

Oh man I LOVED mask.  I had like ten different vehicles, plus the Boulder Rock thing:

It turned into some giant laser fortress type deal.

HOLY SHIT, that reminds me I used to stage big wars between my MASK toys and my DINO-RIDERS!!!  oh yeah!

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 06:47:36 PM »

I was a GI Joe man myself... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 07:10:20 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
HOLY SHIT, that reminds me I used to stage big wars between my MASK toys and my DINO-RIDERS!!!  oh yeah!

heh...Dino-Riders...that was one i really never got into at all.  i had a few episodes of the show on VHS that someone gave me as a gift, but i never had any of the toys.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 07:16:13 AM »

And now Dino-Riders? What are you guys doing to me???

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 10:01:01 AM »

i don't frequent IGN's FilmForce website, but i wound up over there yesterday and a link to their "mailbag" caught my eye.  check out the last question on the page Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 05:07:18 PM »

i don't frequent IGN's FilmForce website, but i wound up over there yesterday and a link to their "mailbag" caught my eye.  check out the last question on the page Cool

Wow, talk about reliving the past.  It would be interesting to see a MASK or Centurions movie.  Hopefully they wouldn't mess it up like they did with that Thunderbirds movie.  I didn't realize they were making another He-Man movie.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 06:00:36 PM »

And I've found it ... any of you boys and girls remember Starcom?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 06:20:50 PM »

Oh man...Starcom....that was the coolest toy.  They were better than transformers to me...mostly due to the motorized transformations/gadgets.  It being spaceships and such didn't help either. smile  I had a bunch, but most of it was broken when I was a kid.  Well played with.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 06:32:26 PM »

I loved the fact that Starcom guys had magnets on their boots. MAGNETS, PEOPLE!

You could stick 'em on lamps and stuff.

Not only that, but the enemy fighters were cooler. I have one of those mini-triangle fighters - the kinds that you can parch 2 of, on that big black triangle's wings.

They really were cool toys (though nothing beats Transformers for me).

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 06:51:26 PM »

This is one of the coolest topics on this page!  Man, I loved M.A.S.K. and Dino-Riders.  How about this one?

Damn I loved those Battle Beasts!!!

Full character list!
http://www.toyarchive.com/BattleBeasts/Figures/FiguresList.html

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »

Were those the elemental critters? You rub the midsection, and you'd see their "logo"? 'cause I had a few of those too, from the 1st series.

What a horrible amount of nostalgia this thread's bringing up. I now miss the toys of my youth.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »

And I've found it ... any of you boys and girls remember Starcom?

Remember 'em?  I still own the Starmax Bomber, 1400 Starwolf, M-6 Railgunner, Shadow Raider, and Starbase Station

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 09:15:48 PM »

Looking through those Starcom pics ... I can't believe that I had almost every single one of them. Including the Starcom base. I think I was only missing the Shadow Vampire and the Shadow Blast Track.

And holy shit - Battle Beasts?!? This thread is killing me!

Edit: Er, on a second pass, I see that many of those Starcom vehicles don't have pictures to 'em, so I guess I only had most of the ones that the virtual toy chest host owns.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2005, 12:51:58 PM »

I had and played with a lot of the toys in this thread, Mask allways felt like a cheap alternative to Gi- Joe but it was good enough.

The crazy thing is Hasbro kept re-issuing the same toy designs in future cartoon toy lines. On top of that I guess the patents/Copyrights are up for a lot of these toys so you can walk into any dollar discount store and buy the knock offs that look and work exactly the same as these did. Maybe someone licensed the designs, but eitherway they're out there, and I allways catch myself walking past some toys and going I remember those but they used to be called "such and such"

I think one of the best things Hasbro did was stealth re-release ALL of the Macross/Robotech toys under a new name. It slips my mind at the moment but the cartoon was something called Exo-suits or something about Guys and Gals in the future wearing Exo-Suits to battle in space and on the earth. Someone got smart and just added in Zentraedi and Invid ships as the badguys and the gave the good guys Veritechs and somehow tied it all into the Exo-Suit Guys storyline... Was very cool because for a while at TrU you could get perfect VFs, Battlepods and about 10 other never really released in the US Macross/Robotech toys.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2005, 02:38:31 PM »

Um ... d'you mean Exo-Squad?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2005, 05:48:50 PM »

Um ... d'you mean Exo-Squad?

i never had any of the toys, but the Exo-Squad cartoon was great...a little more mature than most of the other shows at the time.  it had a neat storyline, and they actually dealt with human characters being killed during the war...something pretty unique for a cartoon of that era.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2005, 08:41:36 PM »

Yeah, I enjoyed Exo-Squad enough to haul my ass outta bed early in the morning to watch it.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2005, 10:09:06 PM »

Yeah, I enjoyed Exo-Squad enough to haul my ass outta bed early in the morning to watch it.

i guess i was "lucky" enough to be watching it a little late...caught it on weekday afternoons right after i got home from school Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2005, 02:42:53 AM »

Battle Beasts! Man, I collected every single one of those bad boys, plus a few of the vehicles. Those were my favorite toys. I never knew about the Laser Beasts things. Thanks for the nostalgia blast.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2005, 09:15:48 PM »

So much nostalgia!  I liked M.A.S.K., but for some reason I REALLY loved Battle Beasts.  What an adventure trying to collect all of those!  Then they had to go and introduce those Starburst Warriors into the elemental mix.  For such a simple toy (only the arms rotated around in the shoulder) they sure were exctiting.  They just had such weird creatures with awesome designs.

I went through my Transformers stage, but my true love was G.I. Joe.  When I was 10 or so, I was convinced I would collect G.I. Joe action figures until I was an old man.  They were that cool...  But then the line got worse and worse, the cartoon got yanked, and the quality declined.  Oh, and I grew up.

Good times.  Thanks, mom, for spending countless dollars buying me those toys!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: