http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:10:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone reading "Identity Crisis"? (SPOILERS FOR IS  (Read 964 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2004, 07:26:39 PM »

I don't know if there are any other comic book fans around these parts, but if there are I'd love to discuss this series. I've been phenomenally impressed with this story -- the pacing, the interaction between the characters, the giving of due to minor and background characters, the emotion raised by some of the deaths. And now, the incredible climax of the next-to-last issue -- little bitty footprints, huh?

DC typically reserves the word "CRISIS" for really big events nowadays, and I think this series has lived up to that. But I'm always interested in what other people think. The moral issues being raised in the series (the JLA has been systemically erasing events from the memories of villains... and other members... for years) and the changes it's going to bring to the wider DCU (Jack Drake is dead, Elongated Man's a widower, the Atom may be... no, surely not... but still... little bitty footprints...). Comics are a mythology in and of themselves, and I find them interesting to consider from that perspective, as something that reflects back on the wider culture.

So, I may be wasting my typing here, but if anyone has any thoughts on this series, I'd love to get a conversation going...

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 07:30:42 PM »

My issue with comics is the sheer number of characters they have like Elongated Man and The Atom that may once have had a history, but now have taken a back seat to the big names. As such, when a former comic goer like myself tries to pick one up and read it I just get confused because I don't know who anyone is.

Maybe if they actively killed off a slew of these extras and tried to streamline a bit of the comics world, then I'd be more inclined to try it out. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 08:09:42 PM »

Well, that's actually the thrust of this story, the secondary characters, whose identities are often more public and who are often a lot more "human" than Superman or Batman. The writer does a very good job of getting you up to speed. I had never met the Elongated Man's wife before issue 1, but I was able to follow the story and understand that she played a role in an earlier incarnation of the JLA back in the day.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 10:37:28 PM »

Yeah I was thinking Atom after he managed to save his wife as well.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:41:53 AM »

Yeah, it points to Atom. But the current thought is that it might not be Ray, but Jean. She did have access to all his patents. Perhaps her own exposure has given her sort of a complex about superhero family members, and she wants to punish the entire world she's tried to escape? Or something?

I dunno, but I can't wait until issue 7!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »

I just finished reading issue 5 and so far the series has lived up to my expectations.  Brad Meltzer is doing a great job on making the characters feel like real human beings and not just some cardboard cutouts with powers.

I'll also give some extra kudos to Meltzer for making Deathstroke one bad mutha in issue 3.  That was one of the coolest fight scenes I've seen in comics in recent memory.  He almost single-handedly takes out the JLA.   almost...heh.

I haven't had a chance to get #6 yet, but I've heard it reveals much and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: