http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:33:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone own or have any impressions of the Nissan Z350?  (Read 1629 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:27:31 AM »

My car is almost 9 years old and approaching 100K miles, and I've pretty much decided to buy a new one within the next six months. I test drove a Z this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any advice or feedback on this model.

Thanks!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 01:51:34 AM »

Cant help other than to say I saw this sweet ass red one the other day..made me drool.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:14:51 AM »

I've test driven one.

I LOVE the way it drives.  It's quick (280 hp engine....), it rides a little stiff (but it's a sports coupe).  The only thing I didn't like about it was the rear view window.  There's no rear view out of that window....you'll see what I mean when you drive it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 04:21:05 AM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
I've test driven one.

I LOVE the way it drives.  It's quick (280 hp engine....), it rides a little stiff (but it's a sports coupe).  The only thing I didn't like about it was the rear view window.  There's no rear view out of that window....you'll see what I mean when you drive it.

Wow, that completely describes my impression after testdriving it as well.  Liked the engine.  Liked the transmission.  Was fairly happy with the handling.  But... couldn't see shit out of the rear.  Big knock for me; couldn't buy one for that reason.

gellar
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 06:32:33 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I agree with some of the comments, that the visibility through the rear window is really bad. And the one I test drove had tinted windows, so it was like peering through a ship porthole at night.

I'm still intrigued by the car. The acocuntant for our business is good friends with a Nissan dealer and said that he might cut me a really good deal. I'm going to have to do some research to find out how realiable they are first though.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 11:17:33 PM »

I've had a silver Touring model for a year and half now.  The engine is technically 287hp. smile  The ride is bumpy but that's the sports car suspension.  Overall I absolutely love mine.  It turns heads and it goes fast.  It also has more cargo room than I thought.  Still not much, but the only thing you should be hauling in it is butt, anyway.

Visibility is limited but I quickly adapted to new routines.  I'm 6' and I can see out of the back pretty well.  If I really need to see more, say backing up, I just duck my head down about 3".  The blind spots on the sides are larger than normal but you just have to lean in to the driver's side window and check them out.  Overall they've been minor adjustments for a great car, IMHO.

Here are two issues you should be aware of, though:

1)  Tire Feathering - the inside of the front tires gets this around 9,000 miles or so.  It basically makes the tires 'roar' when you're slowing down.  I didn't notice because I bought mine with 9200 miles on it so it was always there.  When I had them replaced it was much quiter.  Now this isn't an all the time noise, just when you're slowing down.  It's also not deafening but noticable.  

At first Nissan denied it.  Then they started giving us new tires for free.  Supposedly it's an alignment issue, but the last I read it was something a little more.  They were supposed to have a fix out for it soon.  I need to check the Z forums (and you should too).  Do a search for Tire Feathering.

This is a big problem and I wouldn't blame you if it scared you off.  Just ask the dealer about it and watch them squirm.

2)  Don't bother with the Bose stereo.  In addition to being overpriced, the system in the Zs sucks and blows.  It's not worth the extra money at all.  Bose has even admitted it and sent out placating e-mails to everyone.  I finally had my system replaced last month with an aftermarket one.  It sounds incredibly better.

Even though I was miffed at those two points, if I had to do it again I would definitely buy this car.  It's been a blast.  I'll probably own it for another 3 or 4 years and, considering how affordable it is with this monster engine, one or two front tire changes in that time isn't going to kill me.  smile
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 11:26:22 PM »

Definite chick magnet!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 02:10:17 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Wow, that completely describes my impression after testdriving it as well.  Liked the engine.  Liked the transmission.  Was fairly happy with the handling.  But... couldn't see shit out of the rear.  Big knock for me; couldn't buy one for that reason.

gellar

Sniff.  You may drive a rice rocket, but we have similar taste in other cars.  Though honestly, if I had only 20k to spend on a car, it'd be hard to look away from yours...but don't tell anyone I said that.  Don't want my german-centric viewpoint completely destroyed!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 02:52:33 AM »

Quote from: "Eightball"
Quote from: "gellar"

gellar

Sniff.  You may drive a rice rocket, but we have similar taste in other cars.  Though honestly, if I had only 20k to spend on a car, it'd be hard to look away from yours...but don't tell anyone I said that.  Don't want my german-centric viewpoint completely destroyed!

$31k.  My car was $31k slywink

gellar
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 04:03:02 PM »

Jancelot, thanks for the info and the link to the Nissan site. The message board is a real treasure trove of information, just the kind of thing that I'm looking for. Glad to hear that you like your Z and I'll have to do some research on the tire feathering.

Thanks again!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 05:26:23 PM »

Nissan has done a great job of muffling any bad press on the tire feathering issue.  If I can help out any more feel free to post or send me a PM.

I generally prefer my cars stock in looks, but I did opt for the chrome grill on the front to replace the black one.  The car has a lot of chrome on it (Z logos, door handles) and it looks really good, IMHO.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 11:20:54 PM »

I've always had a soft spot for the Nissan Z cars... I'd get one myself,  but my Celica is doing just fine and I'm enjoying not having a car payment smile
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 12:28:31 AM »

I saw a gold Z the other day.  It was pristine and oh so clean.  Made me feel like a loser in my acura.  That is one good looking car.

Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 07:06:45 AM »

It's your money, but if you are an American, I'm sure US autoworkers would appreciate you buying a domestic.

With that out of the way, that rear window sure looks tiny.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 02:30:05 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
It's your money, but if you are an American, I'm sure US autoworkers would appreciate you buying a domestic.

Hmm...

/me thinks of several friends who work at the Nissan plant in Smyrna, TN...
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 03:02:47 PM »

With that out of the way, that rear window sure looks tiny.

Yea US autoworkers really need help getting paid their overpriced salaries and pushing out inferior quality domestic cars.  There is a reason why Toyota and Honda etc are ranked at or near the top every year.  You really can't even blame the workers because Toyota and Honda have plants here now too.

Sorry couldn't resist.  I honestly am not trying to start anything.

The Z's though do look sharp.

Pig
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 01:19:00 AM »

Support US autoworkers: buy an import.

You need to read up on your "American" auto makers and find out where a lot of the things that go into that car, not to mention the car assembly itself, actually come from.  The foreign auto makers are a growing presence inside the US while the domestics would rather farm it out south of the border.

That shiny new BMW Z4 shipped all the way from South Carolina while the Ford Focus SVT passed customs on its way up from Mexico.  Of course many VW's are made in Brazil.

The only people benefiting when you choose import vs domestic are the executives in the corporate skyscraper.  Economics in action.

Besides, I want my car to last longer than I am actually paying for it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 06:42:47 AM »

Yeah, Stiffler has a point on the domestics vs. imports thing.

I can think of three of four people off the top of my head that work at a Toyota plant assembling the Camry a short drive from here.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: