http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 01:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone live in indianapolis??  (Read 319 times)
papasmurff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »

As with several other forum members... I joined the club and got a new job.  The only big catch is that this requires me to move to Indianapolis.  I have only been there once and haven't got a clue where to look for apartments/ which areas of town to avoid.  If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

(I won't be moving until this fall so I have plenty of time to figure it out)

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:05:24 AM »

I DID about 14 years ago. Does that help? icon_lol

Southport on southeast area is decent. Greenwood on the southside is nice. Northeast at Carmel or Noblesville seemed alright. Not sure about the west side by the racetrack. These are all outside the 465 'loop' so if you are looking inside it you are on your own. It's not bad getting around the city because of the multiple highways but avoid the downtown on I65 during rush hour. Bad drivers so be prepared for that. Too many times I was nearly run off the road from people reading books while cruising down the highway in traffic...  saywhat
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:12:59 AM by Kagath » Logged

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »

Harkonis does.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »

I have an old newspaper buddy who lives out there. We've lost touch, but I used to drive out there to visit with him and his family in around the 1990-1992 era. I still have a photo of me holding his infant son, who I guess is now in his college years. Where does the time go?

All I remember was that the area was incredibly flat. From the Indiana line to Indianapolis, I felt like I was driving along this perfectly flat region with no height changes whatsoever - like driving across this giant skillet. It didn't bother me, it just felt very unique.  icon_smile

There's a refinery I might be visiting for a feature article some time in the June-July time frame near there, in Elgin, so I might try to get back in touch with that buddy at some point to see if we can meet up then.

I recall the snow in Indianapolis can truly get out of control if it's a rough winter.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:04:12 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:47 AM »

I live in Indy Smurf (or just north at any rate)

Blackhawk and Zach both live nearby as well if I recall.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »

I lived around Indy for a couple years while I was in medical school...had an apartment in Avon (on the west side), and commuted in to downtown most days...only took about 20 minutes to reach the heart of downtown.  It was a nice area and very convenient, although not as upscale as some of the suburbs north of town (Zionsville, Carmel, Fishers).  I moved away almost seven years ago though and haven't been back much.

Quote from: Kagath on April 04, 2012, 12:05:24 AM

I DID about 14 years ago. Does that help? icon_lol

Southport on southeast area is decent. Greenwood on the southside is nice. Northeast at Carmel or Noblesville seemed alright. Not sure about the west side by the racetrack. These are all outside the 465 'loop' so if you are looking inside it you are on your own. It's not bad getting around the city because of the multiple highways but avoid the downtown on I65 during rush hour. Bad drivers so be prepared for that. Too many times I was nearly run off the road from people reading books while cruising down the highway in traffic...  saywhat

I think most of this is still pretty valid. The suburbs outside the 465 loop are nicer than most areas inside, although there are a few exceptions...some nice apartments right in downtown (along the canal), and a few good neighborhoods to the north (Broad Ripple among others).  Traffic around the city is worst around the northwest and northeast corners of 465 around rush hour, but it wasn't terrible when I lived there...manageable once you learned what to expect.  One of the interesting things about Indy is that it's a pretty spread out city, but the multiple highways make it relatively easy and quick to navigate.  I could go from my apartment in Avon (on the southwest corner), to the northeast neighborhood of Castleton (all the way on the opposite corner) in about 30-40 minutes with normal traffic on 465, but that same trip might take an hour during the evening rush.

Quote from: Harkonis on April 04, 2012, 03:38:47 AM

I live in Indy Smurf (or just north at any rate)

Blackhawk and Zach both live nearby as well if I recall.

Zach/Zaxxon lived on the north side, inside the 465 loop, but moved to Denver a few years ago.  I pretty sure Blackhawk is a bit farther south and really not in Indianapolis.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:10:57 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »

I am in Indianapolis and have lived 30 years here.  Some on the NW side and I am currently on the SE side. My company just hired a new engineer that went through the apartment hunting thing.  Let me know where your job is and I can make recommendations based on commute and what areas to look at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: