http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in a creative writing class w/ lectures by Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 272 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:16:04 AM »

a free one?  saw this posted over at the Shroud of the Avatar site and figured some people might be interested.  It features video lectures by Sanderson, but he doesn't actually do anything else for the course.  Also, the site is dedicated to science fiction and fantasy writing, so trashy romance stories by Laner probably won't fly.  I am tempted to give it a shot myself.

oh, and the site says July 1st for the start date, but I guess it is now July 3rd.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:42 AM »

they've moved the start date to July 8th.

Because I can,
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »

The first few videos have so much practical advice. Wanna be a writer? Do that stuff!

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 05, 2013, 02:14:13 PM

The first few videos have so much practical advice. Wanna be a writer? Do that stuff!

excellent, I was hoping you'd chime in.  I figured you'd be one of the better authorities around these parts smilethumbsup

Coincidentally enough I also am enrolled in a Creative Writing class for the fall semester, so I figure this may help give me a leg up on at least some aspects.

Because I can,
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2013, 03:55:05 PM

Quote from: Crusis on July 05, 2013, 02:14:13 PM

excellent, I was hoping you'd chime in.  I figured you'd be one of the better authorities around these parts smilethumbsup

Coincidentally enough I also am enrolled in a Creative Writing class for the fall semester, so I figure this may help give me a leg up on at least some aspects.

Good on ya! There is no finer way to hone your craft than with a class. I can't wait to take another class but I need to clear a few projects off my plate first.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 11:37:10 PM »

This looks pretty neat. I've always wanted to write but enthusiasm and self-criticism always seems to get in the way. I've gotten several how-to-write books but they don't seem to keep me on track either. Maybe I need a class environment to keep me writing. Signed up and will definitely try to stay on it.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 04:26:21 AM »

Quote from: raydude on July 08, 2013, 11:37:10 PM

This looks pretty neat. I've always wanted to write but enthusiasm and self-criticism always seems to get in the way. I've gotten several how-to-write books but they don't seem to keep me on track either. Maybe I need a class environment to keep me writing. Signed up and will definitely try to stay on it.

I think one of the cool things about Sanderson's class is that he encourages his students to press on and STOP going back and editing. Meet your writing goal for the week and move on to the next week without constant rewrites. That's smart because it gets you to focus on writing a book even if the book is crap. When you are done with the book you may find that even though it is crap it can be saved in the second draft.

Writing is like programming or any other job that takes a lot of practice to get right. It's best to just sit down and start doing it and don't stop. I'm pretty sure I'd still be thinking about writing instead of writing if I hadn't taken some writing classes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: