http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here work from home?  (Read 457 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »

I may have an opportunity to work from home, and I'm wondering if anyone here does and has any pointers.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »

Make sure you can carve out a "work only zone" in your house. Ideally, the computer/setup is not the same as your personal use one, and the TV/DVD Collection/Consoles are all somewhere else.

I liked to make methodical and structured break schedules that I would adhere to more diligently than when I was at work. Otherwise, the temptation to fix things around the house, run quick errands, etc... became way too much to deal with on a regular basis.

And finally, some Dilbert advice for you: "On the third day of telecommuting, I realized that pants were completely unnecessary."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on March 25, 2010, 10:40:25 PM

Make sure you can carve out a "work only zone" in your house. Ideally, the computer/setup is not the same as your personal use one, and the TV/DVD Collection/Consoles are all somewhere else.

I liked to make methodical and structured break schedules that I would adhere to more diligently than when I was at work. Otherwise, the temptation to fix things around the house, run quick errands, etc... became way too much to deal with on a regular basis.

+1 on both of these.  I sometimes work from home, and have to force myself to keep on a very strict office work-like schedule.  I'm actually going to move my office into the unfinished basement because having my 1-year old at home is entirely too much of a distraction.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »

Having a work space is paramount. Even with my office it is easy to have "home" distract me. Also, I would recommend taking a hard look at yourself and make sure you can be disciplined enough. With no one to look over your shoulder, it is easy to get lost in doing things you shouldn't be (like this, should I really be posting to GT  paranoid).

LiveTAG: happydog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »

Quote from: happydog on March 25, 2010, 11:00:19 PM

Having a work space is paramount. Even with my office it is easy to have "home" distract me. Also, I would recommend taking a hard look at yourself and make sure you can be disciplined enough. With no one to look over your shoulder, it is easy to get lost in doing things you shouldn't be (like this, should I really be posting to GT  paranoid).

This.  I am lucky enough to be able to work from home 2 days at week.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »

I worked from home extensively for several years and that enabled me to get my degree done as well.  Got a four year degree done in 2 years 10 months at Devry by going full time.  My job enabled me to work very flexible hours but as part of that I was available 24/7.  I used my same computer desk for both my work laptop and my home PC, its a decent size desk though.

You have to be able to work on your own.
You have to be available to co-workers when they need you, answer the phone and return calls/e-mails promptly.  You could do a ton of work but if the impression is your not available thats what they will remember.
Make sure that where you work at can be quiet whenever needed for conference calls etc.  People are understanding but they dont want to hear screaming kids or barking dogs in the background.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »

I work from home; my office is actually in another state so I don't get to the office very often.  As nice as it is to roll out of bed and be at work it also have the problem of when you roll out of bed you are at work.  I actually find myself working a lot more than I would if I had to leave the house and at hours that I normally wouldn't.  The worst thing for me is some weeks I feel like I never see another person.  Not quite true but when you work 8 hours from home, feel worn out, and since you're already home you don't really feel like going anywhere else.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »

heh, this was the first thing that popped into my head:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:29:47 AM »

I work from home from time to time, and I absolutely love it.  Yes, there are more family distractions, but I find that I actually get more work done because a) I don't get the "sit in a cubicle all day" blah feeling, and b) I don't have any miscellaneous work distractions.  Plus, saving an hour in the car on work-at-home days is awesome.  I also tend to break up my workday more.  On a normal day in the office, I'll work 8-4 or 9-5, but on a work from home day I'll often start at 7am and still be sending out email or working on stuff at 10pm.  But, I'll do a lot of back-and-forth between work and home stuff.  If I need to go run an errand at 10am, I can.  If I want to stop and play with my son at 2:30pm when he wakes up from a nap, I can.  As long as I get my work done and I'm available when needed, it works.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:48:59 AM »

Sometimes I go for days without any human interaction (unless you consider a wife human). There are times that I wish I had coworkers to talk things over with or even a boss to make the decisions and take the heat that I don't want to deal with. As a business owner I can never call in sick or ignore my work for more than 12 hours. I can, however, spend my days however I like...with the understanding that if I don't work, I will ultimately fail.

I actually had a nightmare a couple of nights ago where I worked in an office with a bunch of 20-something guys who all looked and dressed alike -- expensive short haircuts, ties, expensive shoes. I couldn't tell them apart or please anybody or even fit in. I could never go back to that.

My wife (although technically unemployed now) works at home, too, and did in her last job. She has an office downstairs, I have an office upstairs, and we seldom bother each other during the workday. But we also have the flexibility to get personal stuff done when we need to...or even, very rarely, (gasp!) go to a movie.

It takes discipline to make it work, but the freedom is intoxicating.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:19:55 AM »

I am on the other side. I prefer to go in to the office. Yes I can get a lot done at home when I am working, but I like the collaboration with co-workers face to face when we are working on a project or problem. I find it better to come to a solution face to face then waiting for days over email for an answer. Sometimes I can get to a road block wondering what the best interest is for the company or a solution when I can ask someone quick.

Also I am not that disciplined when it comes to the grass needing cut or meeting my wife for a long lunch. Plus going in helps me structure my work schedule, when I leave I am at work, when I come home I am done - my commute is only 15 minutes each way, my opinion might change if it was an hour. I feel working at home causes some people to work longer and others to work less; if that makes any sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: