http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 11:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here have any experience with gastric bypass surgery?  (Read 1369 times)
IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2005, 10:25:56 PM »

Crossposting this with OO to get the maximum advice smile

I'm scheduled for gastric bypass surgery (Roux-en-Y, open surgery) in four weeks. I was wondering if anyone here has either had or knows someone who's had the surgery, and can relate any of their experiences with it, good or bad.

"Life is good...but evil has more fun."
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 02:05:30 AM »

My wife has had the surgery... just a little over a year ago.

I even created a website for her based on it  www.wls-oasis.com

If you would like her email address, then shoot me a private mail
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:28:10 PM »

i have known a couple different people who have had the surgery and both had the same results.  both initially lost a ton of weight but gained it all back and more because they never adressed their eating issues and why they used food for comfort.  my wife has a friend who went through it and is headed back in the same direction she came from because again she never solved her issues.  alot of people can be successful but make sure you know it's only a tool to assist you in weight loss and not the solution.  good luck and let us know how it goes.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:12:48 PM »

With at least half of the male american population being over weight, I would rather be just that than to get an operation. (By the way I'm 6'2 and about 225 pounds, and I'm proud of my beer bely!  :lol:)

On a serious note though, I thought this surgery prevented you from eating too much? So how could someone gain the weight back? I knew a woman who got it a while back and she lost a lot of weight. Amazing how fast it happens too. I haven't seen her since she lost the weight though, so I can't say what happened now. She was happy with the surgery though, if that means anything.

Have you considered liposuction? From what I've read the fat cells they suck out of you can't be reproduced, so the fat taken can't come back. I dont know that for sure, just remember reading it in a news article.

Anyway good luck, everything should be fine, if not though, can I have your car?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 01:53:15 AM »

Ya it does make your stomach smaller.  However, if you continually eat just a tad more over a long period of time it'll stretch your stomach out.  Also, regardless of your stomach size if you eat garbage it'll eventually put the weight back on as well.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 02:12:46 PM »

I have read that you also have to be very careful to continue getting all of your vitamins and nutrients post-surgery.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 05:35:59 PM »

Most people who get this will have to get a supplement shot for way into the future...there is simply no way to get enough vitamins and nutrients when you are eating 3-4 oz a meal.  Yes, 1/3 of the amount of a 12 oz soda is your entire meal...including whatever you sip with the food.  Anything more than that tends to "pass" quickly through.  You will lose weight quickly though.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 07:24:11 PM »

The comment that your stomach will stretch back out is a false statement.

However, you do have to follow a routine and you have to be dedicated to your "new life".  You can not just have the surgery and then expect everything to take care of itself.

My wife is very careful about what she eats and how much she eats.  For example, they tell you not to drink with your meals.  That is a HUGE thing that a post gastric bypass surgery patient needs to follow.  If you drink while you are eating, it will just wash the food right through the stomach.  Thus freeing up that space, thus causing you to continue eating, etc..

Need to drink lots of water each day.  Still need to watch what you eat (kinds of food).

A few tips for a wls patient:  When you go out to eat at a restaraunt, immediately ask for a to-go box.  Put all of your food but the small portion you are going to eat into the box. Close it.  Then eat what you have left on your plate.  This will stop you from over-eating or "picking" at your food.

Learn where your "full" spot is when you eat.  A person that has had wls does not feel Full like a normal person does, it is different.  Learn where your spot is and respect it.

Take your vitamins every day, drink lots of water.

Do not drink while you eat, wait at least 20-30 minutes after you have eaten before you drink anything.  That does 2 things, one it stops you from washing the food through your system (thus making you still feel hungry) and it also allows your body to absorb the vitamins and such out of the food that you did eat.

Of course, when you eat.. make sure you chew up your food a billion times before you swallow so that it does not get stuck.  Keep a small can of Coca-Cola in the house in case you do get food stuck.  Drink a little bit of it and the carbination will help break up the food.

You will find certain types of food that make you "dump".  My wife can not eat too much sugar. So if she eats a few cookies, she might get sick.  Others have trouble with fatty foods or maybe foods with Milk in it.  It is different for everyone.  Not everyone has this issue though so hopefulyl you will not have it
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 10:58:20 PM »

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/46/2731_1654.htm

Read down where it has risks associated with gastric bypass.

Pouch stretching (stomach gets bigger overtime, stretching back to its normal size before surgery).

croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

It depends on the type of surgery. There are many types of Gastric Bypass surgery

Straight from Dr. Bakers office (probably the leading surgeon for this surgery in Minnesota)

When asked "I am a patient of Dr. Bakers and I have a strange question for you... is it possible to stretch out your pouch after surgery??? I always thought no but I have heard from others it that it is possible."

Answer:
"Not a strange question at all. It would be an extremely unusual occurance. The pouch "softens" as it heals and that's why you can tolerate larger portions at 1 yr than you could at 1 month.  If you begin grazing you may see weight regain not because the pouch has stretched but because the food is being pushed out before the brain gets the full message.
The one year mark is a precarious time for us because we are a bit more confident and tend to test limits.  But to answer the question simply it's a no. "
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: