http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:54:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here CrossFit?  (Read 1174 times)
ravenvii
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »

Well? Anyone?

(www.crossfit.com for the mystified)
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »

I will probably do some over the summer when my schedule opens up a bit. But I am a big fan of crossfit. I did a lot of similar workouts when I was training to play tennis for a living, and use a lot of similar workouts to train my college tennis team.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »

I do it occasionally due to work. Our physical training leader does it, so he makes us do it. Since I do it once or twice a week, if that, I can't stand it. I have hurt myself a couple of times now because of it.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »

I've been doing CrossFit 5 days a week for almost a year. Anything specific you want to know about it?

In general, for me it's been the best physical activity I've ever done and the one exercise routine I've stuck with. I'm at the point where I can't wait to go at the end of my work day. I've lost about 25 pounds in the time since I started, lost two pant sizes, gained a lot of muscle tone, and my cholesterol went from a high of 240 down to 171.

I guess the best way to describe CrossFit is that it is patterned after military style workouts. There's not a lot of complexity to it. Lots of pushups, situps, pullups, squats, weights, running, lunges. The variety is what keeps it interesting. Usually, the CrossFit website posts what is called the WOD (workout of the day). Depending on the CrossFit gym you go to, you usually do the WOD, but a lot of times there are alternate workouts. As an example, last week one day the WOD was a 5K run. Not everyone can run that distance, especially beginners, so instructors at my gym came up with their own workout routine. If you look at the WODs posted each day on the website, it gives you a pretty good idea of what the workouts are like.

I tell everyone I can how much CrossFit has changed my life but with any kind of exercises, it's not for everyone. It can seem intimidating to beginners and your experience will depend a lot on how good the trainers are at the gym you go to. I'm lucky because the CrossFit gym I go to is very beginner friendly and very flexible with how they run the WOD. My chiropractor goes to a different CrossFit gym and they take a more hardcore approach. Starting CrossFit with a friend will make it easier to stick with it. I did that in the beginning and it really helped me stay motivated. Getting injured is a risk with any workout routine you do and CrossFit is no different. If the instructors are good, they will encourage you to go at your own pace and will not push you to go over the edge. Quality of the gym and instructors are key to having a positive experience, and if it's good, then you'll get a great workout that gives you results and you gain great camaraderie with people you'll become friends with.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:59:59 AM »

Nah, I know all about CrossFit, you're preaching to the choir here smile, did it a few years ago for about three months before I stopped. I let myself deteriorate to a point where I couldn't even do one pullup. I went back on the program last week, with scaled workouts. I really enjoy this program and asking myself why the heck I quit last time. Though this time they provide scaled workouts on a few levels, which makes my job much easier.

I just post this here because if there's others doing this program I thought it'd be neat to have a WOD thread where we share our results.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:02:55 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »

Great idea! Yesterday, we did "Helen", which was 3 rounds of a 400m run, 21 kettlebell swings, 12 pullups. I just got back from a 4 day vacation, so getting back into the flow was a killer. I was on the floor dying after the routine. I think I completed the whole thing in just over 15 minutes. I'm nowhere near the fastest, but I don't really care. The important thing is to complete it.

I know what you mean about pullups. At my flabbiest I could barely do one. Now I can probably do about 20 before I let go of the bar.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »

I'm a little confused.  Most of what you guys are saying makes it sound like CrossFit is a training program you do on your own, but then Jimmy's making it sound like it's done at a certain kind of gym with CrossFit-specific instructors.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 16, 2009, 07:43:50 PM

I'm a little confused.  Most of what you guys are saying makes it sound like CrossFit is a training program you do on your own, but then Jimmy's making it sound like it's done at a certain kind of gym with CrossFit-specific instructors.

It can be done both ways. I'm doing it on my own for instance.

I plan to go to a CrossFit gym one day for coaching on my form, to ensure that I'm using the proper form on the olympic lifts - and perhaps some help on kipping pullups. But that's pretty much it, I'm doing the WOD's on my own.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

This looks right up my alley.  Is there a list of recommended equipment somewhere?  The FAQ doesn't seem to have a listing other than amidst individual exercise descriptions.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 16, 2009, 07:43:50 PM

Yeah, there's a CrossFit center literally two minutes from my condo.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »

Yeah, technically, CrossFit routines can be done on your own, but I like going to the gym to workout with people I've met over the months, and of course the gym has all the equipment needed. I never do it at home because the instruction, especially with the Olympic lifting, is necessary for me since my technique is so poor.

In terms of equipment, if you want to do the workouts at home, off the top of my head, the stuff I use are:
-sets of dumb bells (20 lbs to 35 lbs)
-weightlifting bar and weights (depending on the kind of lifting, as low as 10 lb weights all the way up to 45 lbs and combinations of sizes in between)
-pull-up bar
-kettlebells
-24 inch tall box or exercise step/platform

That is pretty much it. The tough thing is that you kind of have to know what range of weights you can exercise with, and of course, as you get better and develop muscle tone, your max weight capacity will rise. That's why going to a good CrossFit gym is beneficial since they have the entire range of hardware.

Looking at today's WOD, it is "Danny", which looks like a new routine designed in the memory of one of the Oakland, CA police officers who got shot in the line of duty recently. Anyhow, the workout is:

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
24 inch Box Jump, 30 reps
115 pound Push Press, 20 reps
30 Pull-ups

If you were to do this at home, you would need the 24 inch tall box or step/platform, 45 lb weightlifting bar, two 35 lb weights and a pullup bar/station. On the weights, you can scale down to what you feel is comfortable. 115 lbs total weight is a lot for many people so going down to 95 lbs total is fine. Here is what the push press looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6oQLMcTGTo

Before a workout like this, there would also be some warmup. We typically do a 400 meter run followed by some stretches, squats, lunges, etc. Then the instructor will go into some technique for the lifting.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:32:09 AM »

Been CrossFitting,for almost a year now! 9:17 on Helen as Rx'd yesterday. Today's workout was friggin insane, 4 rounds and 21 Box Jumps.

I go to CrossFitFury.com its located in Goodyear, AZ on Bullard and Van Buren.

Its funny, I never thought to ask if anyone here was CrossFitting, I know a good deal of you live in Az.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 05:07:54 AM »

Good job. I almost completed four rounds today. The push press just destroyed me.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 05:31:18 AM »

No kidding. They were practically shoulder presses after all the box jumps, I couldn't get enough power from the hips, they just collapsed. There's a couple of guys in my gym(the owner and co-owner) that I expect would get 5+ rounds, but they are resting up a bit in preparation for the qualifiers for this years games.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »

5+ rounds? Holy crap that is hardcore.

Today is a rest day, which means at my gym, the instructors get to pull a routine out of their ass, and it's usually not a cakewalk. I'll be taking today and tomorrow off and then getting back to the grind on Sunday.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »

Quote from: Belgedin on April 17, 2009, 12:32:09 AM

Been CrossFitting,for almost a year now! 9:17 on Helen as Rx'd yesterday. Today's workout was friggin insane, 4 rounds and 21 Box Jumps.

I go to CrossFitFury.com its located in Goodyear, AZ on Bullard and Van Buren.

Its funny, I never thought to ask if anyone here was CrossFitting, I know a good deal of you live in Az.

I had never heard of CrossFit until this thread and now I am interested in it. I wish there was a location near me (Northwest Valley) but I can't find anything. But I guess that is ok because I think I will start out going it alone, getting the motions down first. Maybe if I feel that I want to step it up I will find a location to go to on occasion.

LiveTAG: happydog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »

I don't Crossfit, but I was behind a guy at Best Buy yesterday who was buying a Wii and I guess every Crossfit accessory in sight (he had two hand-carts full of the stuff).

I still think using a videogame console and your TV to try to stay "fit," is like eating "diet hot dogs" and "low carb beer." It's just wrong. Roll Eyes To each his own though.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:58:49 PM »

Just a wild guess...are you thinking of Wii Fit?

I admit I thought CrossFit was a game as well when I first saw this thread.  I browse the forum with the 'view all new posts' button so it's easy to miss what subforum a post is in.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 01:58:52 AM »

Quote from: happydog on April 17, 2009, 08:34:40 PM

I had never heard of CrossFit until this thread and now I am interested in it. I wish there was a location near me (Northwest Valley) but I can't find anything. But I guess that is ok because I think I will start out going it alone, getting the motions down first. Maybe if I feel that I want to step it up I will find a location to go to on occasion.

Yeah, the gym I go to is probably the closest. You might be better served going to a facility now, rather than later. One of the good things about the gym is there are a good number of people that can help you master the movements (and of course, the competitive atmosphere we cultivate really helps push you to the next level). Make sure to watch the videos for any that moves you are unfamiliar with, pay attention to every detail, arms, legs, alignment, all that stuff.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 06:06:58 AM »

Quote from: Belgedin on April 18, 2009, 01:58:52 AM

Quote from: happydog on April 17, 2009, 08:34:40 PM

Yeah, the gym I go to is probably the closest. You might be better served going to a facility now, rather than later. One of the good things about the gym is there are a good number of people that can help you master the movements (and of course, the competitive atmosphere we cultivate really helps push you to the next level). Make sure to watch the videos for any that moves you are unfamiliar with, pay attention to every detail, arms, legs, alignment, all that stuff.

That, or buy Starting Strength. Worth every penny. You can find it for much cheaper on eBay. That book is the best resource for learning the olympic lifts on your own. Going to a facility and getting a coach to teach you is quite costly (think $75 for one hour instruction, or $150 for a month's membership!)

And just a quick note on competition pushing you to the next level: pushing yourself is good, but beware of pushing *too* hard, or you'll meet Uncle Rhabdo, and trust me that is no fun. Good coaches/instructors will warn you about it and make sure you know the basics.

(google rhabdomyolysis)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 06:09:30 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: