http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 01:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have a kindle, or can figure out if I can buy kindle books as gifts?  (Read 1089 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:51:29 PM »

My mom got a kindle, and is all gah gah over it.  I was going to get her a book as one of her christmas presents, and realized 'hey, it'd be sweet if I could buy it for her kindle'.

But I'm not sure I can... or how to do it?

Anyone have experience with this?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »

Oh, NOW I find it:

Can I give Kindle and Kindle content as a gift?

We make it easy to send Kindle as a gift:

1. Place Kindle in your Shopping Cart.
   2. Click the Cart icon at the top of our web site when you are ready to complete your purchase.
   3. In the Cart, check the box next to "Add gift-wrap/note."
   4. Click the "Proceed to Checkout" button and follow instructions to complete the purchase.

Designating your Kindle purchase as a gift ensures that the device is not automatically registered to your Amazon.com account, which means that purchases from the Kindle Store made by the gift recipient will not be charged to you, and prices for the Kindle purchase will not appear on the packing slip. When the gift recipient opens Kindle and turns it on for the first time, he or she will need to register Kindle to an active Amazon.com account at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle.

If you'd also like to give the gift of reading material for Kindle, you may want to give an Amazon Gift Card. Your gift recipient will be able to apply the Gift Card balance to his/her Amazon.com account and make purchases from the Kindle Store.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:55:18 PM »

I can't read...

"If you'd also like to give the gift of reading material for Kindle, you may want to give an Amazon Gift Card. Your gift recipient will be able to apply the Gift Card balance to his/her Amazon.com account and make purchases from the Kindle Store."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »

well, I'm glad we got that all sorted out.  excellent work people!  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2008, 05:59:45 PM

well, I'm glad we got that all sorted out.  excellent work people!  icon_lol

Happy to help.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM »

Yeah, luckily we had a crack team of me working on it.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM

Okay, I'll keep you working then... wtf is a kindle?  icon_confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

I'll be interested in a Kindle once the price comes down some more. Seems to eliminate one of the minor nuisances of reading a book in bed. Namely, reading the left page of a book when lying on your left side and right page on the right side.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on December 03, 2008, 07:23:41 PM

Quote from: kratz on December 03, 2008, 06:08:03 PM

Okay, I'll keep you working then... wtf is a kindle?  icon_confused

electronic book reader thingie... amazon's version. I'll take a wild stab here and make up a link without verifying it http://www.amazon.com/kindle

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »

You nailed it.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »

Ha-ha, that's funny.  Just don't do what I did one day and guess at BJ's Warehouse Club's URL as being... well, never mind, suffice it to say that I was brought to a site I would not have chosen for shopping.   retard

Okay, now I remember Kindle - I saw it on Amazon and checked it out once.  I thought it was a super idea, until I saw the price; after I recovered, I decided I could continue turning pages a while longer.   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 07:57:02 PM »

If you buy a lot of hardcovers (that you don't lend out) I think it could save you money as you can get most hardcover best sellers for kindle for $10. Of course it's harder to lend them out or resell them with Kindle. slywink Also that high price covers wireless connectivity for the kindle (real wireless, not wi-fi hotspots).

I won't buy one at that price, but there is certainly some justification for it, for the right customer.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »

I think my mom got some sort of deal on hers and it was at least $50 cheaper...

She told me some stuff about it that made it sound like a better deal, if you are an avid reader, anyway... most books are like half the price, and some (I would guess mainly older literature) is ridiculously cheap, like she was reading some book that she'd paid $.35 for... if you buy 20 - 30 books a year, that pays for itself pretty quickly.

I guess you can also have like 5 kindles on one license, so you could buy books and share them for free with people on your license.

When I checked hers out it was pretty cool... It was a very readable, nice screen, simple navigation, the ability to search (which would be the #1 plus for me, not that I'm buying one)... uses sprint wireless to get new books away from the computer, etc.

My main worry would be dropping it or getting it wet... or the kid doing it for me.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 03, 2008, 07:57:29 PM

My main worry would be dropping it or getting it wet... or the kid doing it for me.

You do give alot more thought to the electronics you buy when you have a small child. RIP Harmony 676  crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 03, 2008, 08:02:19 PM

You do give alot more thought to the electronics you buy when you have a small child. RIP Harmony 676  crybaby

you'd be surprised how resilent they make stuff nowadays.  I've dropped my iPhone a couple of feet several times and it still works fine- haven't gotten it wet yet though.  I carry a ziploc bag in my wallet just in case I'm outside and it starts pouring to make sure it'd stay dry.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 08:32:39 PM »

I think my mom got some sort of deal on hers and it was at least $50 cheaper...

There was an Oprah coupon a little while ago that dropped the price $50.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 08:33:12 PM »

Yah I'm pretty sure the use it saw as a pacifier was a significant contribution to its death.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

But what about all these shelves?

morlac00 on PSN
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2008, 08:27:00 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on December 03, 2008, 08:02:19 PM

you'd be surprised how resilent they make stuff nowadays.  I've dropped my iPhone a couple of feet several times and it still works fine- haven't gotten it wet yet though.  I carry a ziploc bag in my wallet just in case I'm outside and it starts pouring to make sure it'd stay dry.

Sorry, but totally off topic... my cell phone spent a winter in a snowbank in Vermont (I won't derail far enough to tell the story though).  It was found in the Spring - it needed a new battery, lol.   icon_lol

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »

Funny you should bring up shelves...

My dad builds some cool stuff, like these shelves he built for their mountains and mountains of books... beautiful, wraparound...  he also builds cool stuff very, very slowly... I think he worked on the shelves for like 4 years.

Maybe they are almost out of space and my mom is scared...
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »

I love my Kindle!  And I cried the day I fired it up and the upper right hand side of the screen was smeared, like some one had put vasiline jelly on it (but not having any kids this was not the case).  A call to Amazon and they overnighted me a new one ,took the old one back (it was about 5 months old) and got my books onto the new kindle.  Very good customer service IMHO.  As far as the screen issue I have no idea what happened, it was in a protective slip cover but it may have been smooshed in my bag?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »

I wanna know how that silver placeholder/menu indicator whatchamacallit thing works.  That is nifty.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 03:03:58 AM »

How does the perma-wifi thing work. Does it let you surf the internets?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »

It uses Sprint's data network.  It has "Basic Web" browsing capabilities.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 04:08:49 AM »

Chalk me up as another one who loves it.  Had it for about a month now, since I still hadn't fully adjusted to having a two-hour commute each way most days.  The form factor is nice, since I can read it 1-handed on a packed subway that normally wouldn't be easy even to read a paperback on.

Buying books online or on the device is incredibly easy.  Books on the Kindle store have sample chapters available, so it's easy enough to go through a huge batch of potential books and just get the sample for each.  Once it's on the device, it's easy enough to just hit 'Buy Now' at the end of the sample that it's my main method of purchasing now.

I haven't saved any money, really, since I'm buying more books than I would have otherwise.  But I'm enjoying the heck out of reading them, that's for sure, and I'm 100% certain that regardless of whether I financially break even on the book savings (I'm sure I will at some point), I'll still consider it a fantastic purchase just for the convenience.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: