http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:31:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have a Honda Fit (or similar car)?  (Read 1340 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »

I'm looking at this type of car as a possible purchase - lower price but reasonable amount of space. I was wondering if anyone here drove one and would recommend it? The Fit seems to generally come up on top of the list in reviews of this class of vehicle.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »

A good friend of mine has had one for a few years now.  He loves it.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

We have one.  Bought it new in 2007.  We love ours. 

It gets great gas mileage and has crazy amounts of room and different ways to configure the cargo compartment.  It really seems bigger on the inside than on the outside.

We have the 5 speed Sport model so it's a bit zippier than the automatic which we test drove.  The auto just seemed sluggish to me whereas I really tear it up in the 5 speed.  (Which probably explains why we have already replaced the clutch at 75,000 miles.)

The only problem we've had with it (other than the replacing the clutch) was a throwout bearing that went bad.  Replacing it required dropping the entire transmission which ended up being $750.  What really cheesed me off was that, while the trans was out, I had the tech examine the clutch plate specifically because I knew that it would likely need to be replaced soon (I'm hard on clutches) and was told "Oh there's plenty left on the clutch.)  Four months later the clutch needed to be replaced because it was slipping.   Grrrrr.

But really, the Fit is just an exceptional car.  I have a friend that is 6'11" and he fits in there just fine with plenty of head/leg room.  Another friend at 6'4" complains a bit but at 350lbs he wasn't really built for the seats.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »

The only problem we've had with it (other than the replacing the clutch) was a throwout bearing that went bad.  Replacing it required dropping the entire transmission which ended up being $750.  What really cheesed me off was that, while the trans was out, I had the tech examine the clutch plate specifically because I knew that it would likely need to be replaced soon (I'm hard on clutches) and was told "Oh there's plenty left on the clutch.)  Four months later the clutch needed to be replaced because it was slipping.   Grrrrr.

did you take it back to the same place for the new clutch?

Damn... to go 4 months later, it should have been almost down to bare metal when the bearing was replaced  icon_eek

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on March 22, 2011, 05:47:53 PM

It gets great gas mileage and has crazy amounts of room and different ways to configure the cargo compartment.  It really seems bigger on the inside than on the outside.

We have the 5 speed Sport model so it's a bit zippier than the automatic which we test drove.  The auto just seemed sluggish to me whereas I really tear it up in the 5 speed.  (Which probably explains why we have already replaced the clutch at 75,000 miles.)

But really, the Fit is just an exceptional car.  I have a friend that is 6'11" and he fits in there just fine with plenty of head/leg room.  Another friend at 6'4" complains a bit but at 350lbs he wasn't really built for the seats.

I have a hard time believing that a 6'11" guy is going to "fit"  icon_lol in that car. He would be eating his knees.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »

He probably removed the front driver's seat and sat in the back.  The Fit is very configurable.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »

Have you driven it in snow at all?

El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 22, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

We have one.  Bought it new in 2007.  We love ours.  

I have a 2008 Sport and love it.  There a few weird little annoying things like lack of a dead pedal, no map light, and no makeup mirror on the passenger side.  They may have changed those in the latest config.  Also Honda's road noise is still everpresent, but I'm used to it as this is my 3rd Honda.

I live in Northern Ontario, and drive in snow 6 months/year.  I have 4 snow tires on, and it handles no better/worse than other compact cars I've had.  The sport has some ground effects and stuff that make it a little low.. but I've never been stuck. YMMV.

The gas mileage is great, and it's a comfortable car.  You can fit an amazing number of things in it.

I would recommend one easily.

Quote from: Scraper on March 22, 2011, 06:28:06 PM

I have a hard time believing that a 6'11" guy is going to "fit"  icon_lol in that car. He would be eating his knees.
  I don't.. it has an amazing amount of leg room/headspace.  I have some tall friends who fit fine in it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:43:32 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 22, 2011, 05:55:43 PM

did you take it back to the same place for the new clutch?

Damn... to go 4 months later, it should have been almost down to bare metal when the bearing was replaced  icon_eek

I did.  I complained quite loudly about it but still had to fork over $1300 to replace the clutch.   I was not happy about it.

Quote from: Teggy on March 22, 2011, 06:33:16 PM

We live in Nebraska, it's seen plenty of snow and has never been stuck.  Came close a few times on unplowed streets but a good running start will let you snowplow your way through.  smile

Quote from: Scraper on March 22, 2011, 06:28:06 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on March 22, 2011, 06:41:49 PM

I don't.. it has an amazing amount of leg room/headspace.  I have some tall friends who fit fine in it.

What El-Producto said.  My friend got in, put the seat back (but not all the way) and then sat there all hunched down with his shoulders around his ears.  I told him, "dude, sit up."  He did and was amazed that he was able to sit upright comfortably with a good 2-3 inches of remaining head room.  He was so used to having to scrunch in other cars that he did it out of habit when he got in mine.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »

One of the negatives I've seen pointed out is that the seats don't go up and down. Had any issues with that? They say it only matters for short people and I'm 5'11''.

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 22, 2011, 09:20:11 PM

One of the negatives I've seen pointed out is that the seats don't go up and down. Had any issues with that? They say it only matters for short people and I'm 5'11''.

My wife is 4'10" and this is the first car we've owned that she does not have to sit on a pillow to see over the dash.

It did make me nervous that she has to have the seat all the way forward to reach the pedals which puts her awfully close to the steering wheel/airbag.  However, the Fit is equipped with a dual stage airbag and weight sensors in the seat which detect a smaller person and thus only engages the first stage of the airbag instead of a full deployment.

Our 17 year old daughter doesn't weigh enough to set off the airbag sensor in the passenger seat so it remains disabled.   smile

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »

We just bought one last month (base model, standard transmission). It's about to turn 1,000 miles and is averaging 39.4 mpg so far according to its onboard computer. My wife loves it -- we call it the TARDIS. When we replaced her Subaru Forester she needed a car with similar cargo capacity. The Fit comes within 10 cu ft, and the difference is all vertical space (which you seldom use anyway). She's especially smitten with the way the back seats fold up, giving her a lot of flexibility for hauling around all her stuff. Passenger compartment seems huge to us, but we're both small people (I'm 5-8). Definitely more legroom than the Forester had. She feels like she's sitting up higher and she says it's more comfortable, too. It's a very utilitarian little car, smooth shifting and as peppy as it needs to be.

The only thing I really hate is the automatic door locks. The car insists on locking you in. I think that's programmable if you buy the keyless entry option ($650 IIRC), but you're just stuck without it. I need to find out if there's a way to disable that "feature" without harming the power locks. It is most irritating.

One thing about buying right now: The Fit is made only in Japan and production has been interrupted. That means that US dealers are insisting on sticker price for those on their lots. Last month I was able to get it out the door for $15,000 (after trade-in) including tax, destination charge, title/registration, and document prep fee. I figure that if they aren't dealing now the same car would cost $1,200 more today. So you might want to wait until Honda is back up to speed.  

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »

Yeah, my wife sent me an article about that this morning and it suggested that there was a short window before prices started going up, but based on your story that's already happened.

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 22, 2011, 09:38:35 PM

The only thing I really hate is the automatic door locks. The car insists on locking you in. I think that's programmable if you buy the keyless entry option ($650 IIRC), but you're just stuck without it. I need to find out if there's a way to disable that "feature" without harming the power locks. It is most irritating.

You should be able to disable that behavior.  I know my new Civic came with instructions on how to reconfigure the autolocking AI.  Consult your manual (did you get a separate, rather thin "technology manual" booklet?) or try this procedure: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/11/2009-honda-fit-sport-deactivating-big-brother.html

Coming from an older Honda with no power anything, I was a little startled that the locks on the new vehicle had a mind of their own.  I like it, though I may see if I can adjust mine so it unlocks all the doors when I put it into Park.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:58:18 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 22, 2011, 09:42:06 PM

Yeah, my wife sent me an article about that this morning and it suggested that there was a short window before prices started going up, but based on your story that's already happened.

It's a good point.  My friend went out to potentially buy a Fit and ended up with a Civic instead due to the wait.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 02:08:22 AM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on March 22, 2011, 09:56:18 PM

You should be able to disable that behavior.  I know my new Civic came with instructions on how to reconfigure the autolocking AI.  Consult your manual (did you get a separate, rather thin "technology manual" booklet?) or try this procedure: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/11/2009-honda-fit-sport-deactivating-big-brother.html

Coming from an older Honda with no power anything, I was a little startled that the locks on the new vehicle had a mind of their own.  I like it, though I may see if I can adjust mine so it unlocks all the doors when I put it into Park.

I will try that, but the linked instructions are for the Sport version which has keyless entry standard. I don't know if it'll work with the base model. Pretty sure the manual said ours are not programmable.

There must be a sensor that one can disable, though.

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

Teggy if you havent purchased yet, I highly recommend using zag.com   Use the friends and family link. I dont remember if it was here or oo that someone posted about it.  I just bought yesterday a  fully loaded new camry xle msrp of 33400 for 27000.  Not to mention they gave me 13500 for my 2006 camry xle.  Very simple service to use just pick you car and options from any make, model put in your contact info,  print the email they send you with the price and go sign for it and drive away.  The whole process took me 1.5 hours. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on March 24, 2011, 11:53:26 AM

Teggy if you havent purchased yet, I highly recommend using zag.com   Use the friends and family link. I dont remember if it was here or oo that someone posted about it.  I just bought yesterday a  fully loaded new camry xle msrp of 33400 for 27000.  Not to mention they gave me 13500 for my 2006 camry xle.  Very simple service to use just pick you car and options from any make, model put in your contact info,  print the email they send you with the price and go sign for it and drive away.  The whole process took me 1.5 hours. 

Yes, I definitely want to check it out. I can use USAA, BofA or SallieMae as the front end. My only question was that when I went to pick the Fit, it would not allow me to choose any options (just says no options available for the model). Is that something you can work out with the dealer or is the price predicated on you taking the model as is?

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »

Yeah you can work it out with the dealer.  My email had 3 dealers listed with a price and then it said like 2700 below invoice, 3250 below invoice and 3500 below invoice.  The 3500 below invoice dealer was like 150 miles away and the other 2 were close.  I took it to the nearest dealer and said I wanted to see the invoice price on the car they had in stock I wanted and deducted 3500 from it and offered it to them and they took it.  So even though some of the options I wanted were a little different I just deducted the amount under invoice the email said from the invoice of the car they had.  No hassles no haggling. 
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

I did the same thing going through USAA to buy my Prius a few weeks ago.  I didn't even have an opportunity to walk in with my print out, within an hour of getting my quote, 4 Toyota dealerships in my area started calling.  "Hey, we saw that you have a quote for a Prius, we think we can do better, please give us a call."  While it was a little annoying to get bombarded with dealer calls for 2 days, I liked the healthy competition amongst the local dealers, it only helped me. 

When I was talking with one of the managers at the Toyota dealership, he told me they both like and hate their agreements with the internet quote services.  My dealership was trying very hard to convince customers that they needed to pay MSRP for a Prius...or else they might not get one for months, and in I walk with my price quote several thousand under MSRP.  It worked out well for me too.  Whatever nostalgic feelings I had about the suv I traded in are long gone after a week of commuting and averaging 47mpg.       
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »

As I understand it, the Fit comes with option packages, not a la carte options. You can buy a base or a Sport, and there is no menu of factory-installed options to add to either one. Of course, we bought one off the lot so our dealer might have just been uninterested in talking about options...but my internet shopping bears this out.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »

Quote from: soulbringer on March 24, 2011, 11:53:26 AM

Teggy if you havent purchased yet, I highly recommend using zag.com   Use the friends and family link. I dont remember if it was here or oo that someone posted about it.  I just bought yesterday a  fully loaded new camry xle msrp of 33400 for 27000.  Not to mention they gave me 13500 for my 2006 camry xle.  Very simple service to use just pick you car and options from any make, model put in your contact info,  print the email they send you with the price and go sign for it and drive away.  The whole process took me 1.5 hours.  

I googled this and the link it gives you just asks for an email and password with no details about what the site is...is it legit?  NM I went there directly and see it now. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:56:03 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 24, 2011, 04:45:25 PM

As I understand it, the Fit comes with option packages, not a la carte options. You can buy a base or a Sport, and there is no menu of factory-installed options to add to either one. Of course, we bought one off the lot so our dealer might have just been uninterested in talking about options...but my internet shopping bears this out.

Hm, that's not how it seems on the Honda site. The 3 models have base packages, but if you want something like a retractable cargo area cover, all weather mats, cargo net, etc., you can price them all out as individual items. You can do a lot of damage to the base price that way and probably how they keep the published base prices down. I'm probably ok surviving without most of that stuff, but I was interested in adding on the remote starter.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »

A female co-worker bought a new Fit a couple months back. She loves it. She had owned a VW of some sort for years but had endless mechanical problems with it. The Fit is very highly rated by Consumer Reports and its readers fwiw.

Me, I've got about 266,000+ miles on my '96 Toyota Corolla (made in Canada, sadly not anymore tear). I really have to think about a new car at some point but as long as my current one doesn't go kaboom, I'm postponing it. I have read many good things about the Fit though.

I can ask my co-worker if you had any specific questions.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:17 PM »

The MSRP is already showing +$800 when you price the car, so I'm likely going to ride it out through April to see what happens. I'll probably go in for a test drive some time soon, though.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 25, 2011, 03:53:17 PM

The MSRP is already showing +$800 when you price the car, so I'm likely going to ride it out through April to see what happens. I'll probably go in for a test drive some time soon, though.
I think that's a smart move.  The advantage is with the dealerships right now, especially for Honda and Toyota, and especially for the hybrids.  If I hadn't started my price quote discussion as early as I did with Toyota (before the supply-demand issues became national news), I would be doing the exact same thing...waiting until the dealer-buyer dynamic at least swung back to neutral. 

I've had Hondas for over 10 years, an accord and a crv, and both were great vehicles with 0 issues.  I wish Honda had a sedan type vehicle that got the gas mileage of the prius.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 04:18:02 PM »

Likewise.  I have a phone interview on Monday, and if this job pans out, I'll definitely be in the market for a new car.  The current minivan is still running decently, but is starting to have a paint peeling problem that's endemic to its model year, and it's a '96, so I'm getting less confident in its longevity.  I should be able to put together a $4-5k down payment.  Then I have to do all the research into what to watch out for when buying a car.  

Whee, I'm gonna be driving stick again! I like that the MSRP on the Fit is lower if you go with manual vs automatic.  When I was looking at the Fiesta, it was more expensive to get manual.  I was also considering a Mazda 3, but it looks like sticker on those starts at around $20k, which is more than I'm looking for.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

This worked, btw. The automatic door locking is now disabled, and my only complaint with our Fit is solved. My wife grumbles because it doesn't have a map light (just dome light), but that doesn't bother me.

We just figured out that one can lay the front passenger seat back flat and create a continuous flat cargo bed from the dashboard to the hatch. That is going to be handy for carrying lumber.

Good luck with your interview, Chaz. I hope Honda gets past its production hiccup before you need to buy. According to this morning's newspaper the various Japanese car disruptions will take hold in mid-April, when ships that ought to be departing now would have arrived.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »

My co-worker shared some quick thoughts, including some annoyances:
Quote from: BJ's coworker's Fit impressions
I just remembered… even though there are a hundred things I love about the Fit so far (convenience features, visibility, comfort, etc.) I have noticed that you can hear the gas sloshing around if it’s quiet when you stop and make turns, especially if you have recently filled your tank because the gas reservoir is so close to the driver’s seat. I consulted the online forums and many owners have said this bothered them, or they noticed it but they keep the radio on so it doesn’t matter.

There is a lot of “road noise” but it help hear sirens and other vehicles near you, etc. so I count that as a plus for safety.

It’s a low riding car so you can’t go to fast over speed bumps and you have to be extra careful around pot holes and at drive-through car washes with that metal plate you have to aim your tires at ‘cuz if you miss it the bottom of the car gets scraped.

I have the navigation trim level and I love that!
I have never heard "road noise" counted as a plus.  icon_smile

Anyway, there's a female viewpoint, which afik, isn't something we have at the forums here at all.  Fabulous
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:58:30 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 25, 2011, 05:02:54 PM

Good luck with your interview, Chaz. I hope Honda gets past its production hiccup before you need to buy. According to this morning's newspaper the various Japanese car disruptions will take hold in mid-April, when ships that ought to be departing now would have arrived.

Thanks.  Fortunately, I'm not in a position where I "need" to buy.  I wonder how long before the supply comes back to normal and I have a chance at getting one for less than sticker.

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:19 PM »

This worked, btw. The automatic door locking is now disabled, and my only complaint with our Fit is solved. My wife grumbles because it doesn't have a map light (just dome light), but that doesn't bother me.

We just figured out that one can lay the front passenger seat back flat and create a continuous flat cargo bed from the dashboard to the hatch. That is going to be handy for carrying lumber.

Cool, congrats on hacking your Fit.  My first two cars ever were hatchbacks, and sometimes I really miss the flexibility of having a huge cargo space when you need it.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on March 25, 2011, 07:52:19 PM

Cool, congrats on hacking your Fit.  My first two cars ever were hatchbacks, and sometimes I really miss the flexibility of having a huge cargo space when you need it.

Today I drove it for the first time since "fixing" the door locks, and immediately noticed that the door locks were not fixed. My wife must have been...confused. So this time I dug out the owner's manual and discovered that the online instructions had omitted a step -- namely, opening the driver's door before doing the reset. I haven't tested it but hopefully this will do the trick. Wife was hesitant to approve the auto-lock disabling anyway. She has her heart set on some complicated behavior that isn't supported, and she can't decide whether auto-lock or never-lock comes closer to her ideal world.

Therefore my wishes trump hers.  finger

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »

Thanks to the snowy weather today I was reminded of my one major gripe about our Fit.  (Excluding the clutch repair)

The wipers.

For the front windshield wipers there are three settings; intermittent, slow, & fast.  The problem is the lack of a variable setting for the intermittent wipers.  Depending on conditions the set speed of the intermittent wipers can be too slow or too fast.  Our Geo Prizm had a whole range of settings for the intermittent wipers and I would constantly adjust them to the conditions.  My not being able to adjust it on the Fit bothers me far out of proportion to the actual level of inconvenience but there you have it.

The rear wiper has only one speed.  I would be happy if it had an intermittent setting the same as the front as it seems like it would be just right the right speed for the back window but NOOOOOO.  I either have it on or off.  There is nothing in between.

I don't know if these gripes were ever fixed for later models.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »

Hmmm...that might bug me, since I do like the variable speed intermittent on my current vehicle.  Still, the one before this (my first), had three speeds: off, on, reallyreallyfast.  I got used to manually flipping them on every so often if I needed intermittent.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 05:06:45 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on March 24, 2011, 04:45:25 PM

All Hondas are this way, there are a few trim levels and then all you have are dealer adds.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »

Honda Fit sales surge in March:

Honda Motor Co.’s sales jumped 23 percent. The subcompact Fit led the way with a 49 percent increase, while Civic sales rose more than 40 percent.

...if you can get (or afford) one:

AutoNation Inc. chief executive Mike Jackson said that customers will first see shortages of vehicles made exclusively in Japan, then parts shortages will slow down production of Japanese-brand cars assembled in North America. “Everybody’s in crisis meetings every day trying to figure out how to keep the global production system working as best as possible and adapt to the circumstances,’’ he said.

Jackson said automakers have told him that the car shortages will last from two to four months, and AutoNation should expect a 30 to 50 percent cut in shipments of Japanese-brand models. Jackson said models made only in Japan, such as the Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid, Honda Fit subcompact, and Nissan Rogue small crossover vehicle, will be most affected. Consumers can expect to pay higher prices for the models in short supply because dealers will be less likely to discount them.

We were really lucky to buy our Fit when we did, a month before the disaster.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:46 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 05, 2011, 04:53:17 PM

Honda Fit sales surge in March:

Honda Motor Co.’s sales jumped 23 percent. The subcompact Fit led the way with a 49 percent increase, while Civic sales rose more than 40 percent.

...if you can get (or afford) one:

AutoNation Inc. chief executive Mike Jackson said that customers will first see shortages of vehicles made exclusively in Japan, then parts shortages will slow down production of Japanese-brand cars assembled in North America. “Everybody’s in crisis meetings every day trying to figure out how to keep the global production system working as best as possible and adapt to the circumstances,’’ he said.

Jackson said automakers have told him that the car shortages will last from two to four months, and AutoNation should expect a 30 to 50 percent cut in shipments of Japanese-brand models. Jackson said models made only in Japan, such as the Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid, Honda Fit subcompact, and Nissan Rogue small crossover vehicle, will be most affected. Consumers can expect to pay higher prices for the models in short supply because dealers will be less likely to discount them.

We were really lucky to buy our Fit when we did, a month before the disaster.

Yup frown I got quotes and actually the prices hadn't really jumped yet, but I was unable to go in for a test drive last weekend and can't this weekend either, so those cars may be gone by the time I get around to it.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »

It is very possible that this thread subconsciously raised my awareness of the honda fit, but I've seen a lot on the highways and toll roads of northern Virginia over the past month.  It seems like a very popular car. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:27 AM »

So a quick follow-up, we bought a Fit today, a Sport manual. I wasn't exactly planning on getting a car today, but they beat a quote I had for another dealer, they had the color I liked in stock and they were willing to give me some cash for my horrible 97 Saturn that is a month past inspection (and wouldn't pass if I took it in). It's going to be so nice finally driving a car to work I feel safe in.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 06:24:24 AM »

Welcome to the club! We all have jackets.

Fit Freaks

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: