http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:22:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Gonna Get Raped by Their Utility Companies?  (Read 3039 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »

If we start adding even more sources of nuclear waste to the planet, the future of the earth is going to get raped repeatedly by its father throughout its childhood so that at age 18 its mind only functions at a 7-year-old level.  Also a true story!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 04:42:59 AM »

Maybe we need to find a better way of generating energy that's slightly more advanced than my tea kettle.  Even nuclear energy comes down to boiling water to create steam to turn a wheel. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »

I can't afford it this year, but I am seriously considering putting a windmill on my property to generate some electricity, as well as getting some solar panels.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 30, 2008, 11:34:18 AM

I can't afford it this year, but I am seriously considering putting a windmill on my property to generate some electricity, as well as getting some solar panels.

Personal Windmill Info:
Cost: $7,500
Costs Not Included - Installation equipment, Install/Erection.
Size: 33 Feet, >600 lbs.
Average Monthly Energy Production:  500 to 700 kilowatt-hours
Average Monthly Energy Consumption (household): 1,000 kWh
Payback (at current energy prices): 5-10 years.
General Info: The turbine’s blades begin turning once winds reach a speed of 6 mph, and an inverter inside the turbine begins generating energy when wind is blowing at 8-10 mph.  At wind speeds of 20 mph, the turbine reaches its maximum output.
Comment from someone who's installed one:
Residents who are interested in one must first obtain permission from a local zoning board...
there are no codes in place regarding wind turbines, since they are a relatively new phenomenon, Broadt explained. And officials are wary about setting a precedent that could open the door for larger-scale, commercial wind farms, he said.

The Skystream 3.7 turbine sits about 190 feet from Broadt’s house on his one-acre property. The company recommends that turbine owners have at least half an acre of land.

Just fyi.

Just a little hiccup.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on July 30, 2008, 12:34:38 PM

Quote from: Arkon on July 30, 2008, 11:34:18 AM

Personal Windmill Info:
Cost: $7,500
Costs Not Included - Installation equipment, Install/Erection.
Size: 33 Feet, >600 lbs.
Average Monthly Energy Production:  500 to 700 kilowatt-hours
Average Monthly Energy Consumption (household): 1,000 kWh
Payback (at current energy prices): 5-10 years.
General Info: The turbine’s blades begin turning once winds reach a speed of 6 mph, and an inverter inside the turbine begins generating energy when wind is blowing at 8-10 mph.  At wind speeds of 20 mph, the turbine reaches its maximum output.
Comment from someone who's installed one:
Residents who are interested in one must first obtain permission from a local zoning board...
there are no codes in place regarding wind turbines, since they are a relatively new phenomenon, Broadt explained. And officials are wary about setting a precedent that could open the door for larger-scale, commercial wind farms, he said.

The Skystream 3.7 turbine sits about 190 feet from Broadt’s house on his one-acre property. The company recommends that turbine owners have at least half an acre of land.

Just fyi.

Thanks Hiccup... I have 2 Acres and sit on top of a hill that gets a lot of wind... sometimes pretty high winds as where I live is called tornado alley.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 30, 2008, 02:28:32 PM

Thanks Hiccup... I have 2 Acres and sit on top of a hill that gets a lot of wind... sometimes pretty high winds as where I live is called tornado alley.

Yeah, that would be just considered just slightly high winds. biggrin

While having your own 'wind farm' might be a problem, I thought there was no provision anywhere (at least in being a basic property owner) in being able to sell extra energy back to the grid.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: