http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:12:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone get an email from Bioware about a hacked server?  (Read 467 times)
Ragnarok
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »

I've never gotten an email like this before and wonder about its authenticity.  

We recently learned that hackers gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched a thorough ongoing evaluation of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account. In an abundance of caution, we have changed your password to ensure account security. Please visit this <link removed>to reset your password immediately.

If your link has expired, click here to generate a new email.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on your EA account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-877-357-6007.

If you have questions, please visit our FAQ atlink removed or contact Customer Support at the phone number above.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts
It gives a customer support number though I haven't bothered to call it., mostly because I'm not even sure I have any Bioware games that I'm playing.  Certainly not NWN.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:32:51 PM by Ragnarok » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:35:05 PM »

Yeah, they are the latest to get hacked. The email is legit.

It was a NWN server, I believe

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:36:54 PM »

Weird thing is, its what..2 weeks since they were hacked and only now sending out the mail?

A new one
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »

Yep, got the same. They originally said it was only 18,000 of their customers who were effected and that e-mails were sent out immediately. Bullshit.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »

My email client flagged it as phishing, but I got it too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »

I got one. It said something about my decade old forum account that I haven't used in about ... a decade. Seems legit.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »

Yeah I guess it is.  But like you said, its from my decade old account that I haven't used in a decade.  Pretty sure all my info has changed anyway...
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 01:03:26 AM »

I received a similar e-mail regarding the account I used for NWN years ago, but mine was slightly different.  Here's an excerpt from the message I received with the difference in bold...

Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from
accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with this forum account. In an abundance of caution, we have disabled your legacy Account. To create a new account please visit social.bioware.com.

Rather than giving me a link to change the password, my old account has been completely disabled.  Luckily, it's not something that I've used in a long time and all my more recent Bioware games are associated with a different account on the newer website.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:04:38 AM »

yeah i got an email

i can't remember last time i used the account or that i even had an account with Bioware,i know when i log onto their games now it connects me to their servers and requires a password and shit,but i think that's the EA part of things

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »

I'd still be suspicious of it, especially if it came a week after the actual hack. What better way to sneak in a phishing attempt. Just go to Bioware directly and check your account rather than clicking any links in the email.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on June 25, 2011, 03:30:37 PM

I'd still be suspicious of it, especially if it came a week after the actual hack. What better way to sneak in a phishing attempt. Just go to Bioware directly and check your account rather than clicking any links in the email.

This should be standard practice for any email you are even slightly suspicious about.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: