http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Sleep Number beds?  (Read 783 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »

I am considering getting a new bed, and I'm wondering if it's worth looking at the Sleep Number beds.  I don't need the 2-person feature, but I like the thought that it is highly adjustable.  I seem to toss and turn a lot and I'm wondering if having the varying degrees of support might help me sleep better.  Or if because of the weird technology, they just aren't as comfortable as a comparably expensive bed?  If the only/primary advantage is just to have 2 different hardnesses for 2 people, I'll probably scratch the idea.  I'm also debating on getting one of those beds where you can control the incline.  I don't know if that would help me at all but it seems like an interesting concept.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:05:44 PM »

Never tried one. Doesn't look like something I would bother wasting money on. I like old worn out spring mattresses. The one I sleep on is like 40 years old and the springs poke through it. Just got a pillow top mattress pad for it which should help...if I ever put it on.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »

I think you should get the one that looks like a race car Rittchard  icon_biggrin

or even better:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »

The one and only time I tried one was at a hotel, and it was horrible.  There was a distinct seam in between the two halves that we couldn't get to go away, even if we dialed the two sides to the same setting, and it wasn't particularly comfortable even if you stayed on your own half.  If you don't need the 2-person feature, I think you'd be far better finding a really nice mattress that has exactly the support you need.  
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »

We've had them for at least the last 15 years or so, just bought a new one late last year as a matter of fact. I can't imagine what kind they had in that hotel but ours have had no noticeable seam of any kind in spite of the fact that there are obviously two distinct 'halves' to it, the chambers are well covered with a pad (of various types) and a mattress cover as well. Should be easy enough to go see and test them, there are Select Comfort stores all over the place any more.

That being said, the primary draw is the whole two person aspect with different settings per side. Unless you'd like the ability to change the firmness, I'm sure you'd be fine with a good 'regular' mattress as Wonderpug noted. Or the bendy kind.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »

Also curious... does the firmness hold well over time? Our current mattress has gotten way too formed by us sleeping in it, so it's not that comfortable anymore (not firm enough).
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:08:27 AM »

thats my question about them as well.  Even a good mattress will sag in spots after awhile and since most good ones are pillow tops you cant flip them like you could old school mattresses.    I was thinking the  multiple air chambers topped by memory foam would eliminate that kind of sagging but I dont know anyone who's owned one.  I planning on buying a new mattress set in about 6 months - a year from now as my 8 year old serta perfect sleeper has some definite issues, so Im am interested in this particular topic. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:22 AM »

Yeah, mine is a pillow-top. Turning it around helped a bit, but my wife complains I left too stong an indentation in it  Tongue

We tried foam mattress pad, and again it helped a bit, but eventually that just has formed too.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »

We have the SelecTek version of a sleep number bed.

You can see it here maybe (or just go to www.furniturerow.com and air beds):
http://denvermattress17.reachlocal.com/coupon/?scid=1408230&cid=747427&tc=11041108524047221&rl_key=9bc04c291b5e217e240150c29f062df4&kw=3891819&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=furniturerow27.reachlocal.net&pub_cr_id=6228283930

When we went looking and got "in store pricing" (ignore that web price) for both a sleep number and this selectek one, the selectek was 1/4th the price. It unzips like a waterbed and has tube shaped bladders, like a waterbed, and there's no seem between the 4 or 6 (I forget which) bladders. If you set them to the same number, you can sleep right in the middle.

I'd highly recommend an air bed to anyone, we love ours.

I'd suggest calling different mattress places before going with the mercedes of air beds. Nothing wrong with a nice lexus.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »

Get a waterbed.........great beds.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on April 11, 2011, 04:42:52 PM

Been there done that way to much hassle compared to an air bed.   The one bonus a water bed has is that you can heat them but Ive never much cared for sleeping on a heated surface.  I will admit though I have slept on a waterbed that consisted of six separate tubes with a memory foam topped enclosure that was extremely comfortable to sleep on. 

On a side note I went to college on the late 70's -  early 80's when H2O beds were all the rage.  Take my word for it, sex on a free flow water bed was at times quite the epic challenge!  Talk about making waves.  lol

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 11, 2011, 12:08:27 AM

thats my question about them as well.  Even a good mattress will sag in spots after awhile and since most good ones are pillow tops you cant flip them like you could old school mattresses.    I was thinking the  multiple air chambers topped by memory foam would eliminate that kind of sagging but I dont know anyone who's owned one. 

Yeah this was my question too, except I don't like memory foam.  So I would be looking at the traditional pillow top on top of the weird chamber thingies.  I guess I'm curious because I seem to be going through fairly decent quality beds faster than the times they always claim.  I can't remember how long I've had this one, but it's definitely less than 5 years and it's already starting to creak and sag in a couple spots. 

I'm also curious just how much difference you get with the different numbers, so if you are weird like me and seem to shift positions and comfort "zones" often enough, would you be able to adapt with the different numbers (this I'd assume is a yes).  I guess I just have to try it out, but even then I'd worry that it would seem great in the store but then suck in a year or 2.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »

I've always had good luck and have been happy with Sealy Posturepedic mattresses.

(Also, am I the only one who hates pillowtops?  I want my mattress to be only slightly less firm than a slab at the morgue.)

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on April 11, 2011, 06:28:15 PM

I've always had good luck and have been happy with Sealy Posturepedic mattresses.

(Also, am I the only one who hates pillowtops?  I want my mattress to be only slightly less firm than a slab at the morgue.)

That can be arranged.  icon_twisted

Quote from: rittchard on April 11, 2011, 06:14:46 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on April 11, 2011, 12:08:27 AM

thats my question about them as well.  Even a good mattress will sag in spots after awhile and since most good ones are pillow tops you cant flip them like you could old school mattresses.    I was thinking the  multiple air chambers topped by memory foam would eliminate that kind of sagging but I dont know anyone who's owned one. 

Yeah this was my question too, except I don't like memory foam.  So I would be looking at the traditional pillow top on top of the weird chamber thingies.  I guess I'm curious because I seem to be going through fairly decent quality beds faster than the times they always claim.  I can't remember how long I've had this one, but it's definitely less than 5 years and it's already starting to creak and sag in a couple spots. 

I'm also curious just how much difference you get with the different numbers, so if you are weird like me and seem to shift positions and comfort "zones" often enough, would you be able to adapt with the different numbers (this I'd assume is a yes).  I guess I just have to try it out, but even then I'd worry that it would seem great in the store but then suck in a year or 2.

Doesn't your current mattress have a 10 year warranty? Have them replace it.

I tried a tempurpedic bed in the store and as soon as I laid down on it I knew it was way too firm for me. Pillow top is where I'm at too. The difference between numbers is subjective. My wife can't tell the difference between 30 and 31 where it's a huge difference for me. Actually, I think you two do that friendface thing so you can talk to her more about it.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

We had a sleep# for a few years. You could notice the "seam" in the middle. Actually it is just a 6" section of pad between the two sides, but when you were on it you could tell. Another annoyance was that over time the pressure changes, but the gauge wouldn't show it. So every couple weeks we would deflate and re-inflate it to get it back to the right setting. Also one side started to sag. I took it apart, checked everything, re-inflated it, checked under the bed, etc. but could not come up with a reason for it. We got rid of it shortly after that.

Overall I would say we weren't happy with it. I know I won't be purchasing another, that's for sure.

LiveTAG: happydog
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 10, 2011, 10:05:44 PM

Never tried one. Doesn't look like something I would bother wasting money on. I like old worn out spring mattresses. The one I sleep on is like 40 years old and the springs poke through it. Just got a pillow top mattress pad for it which should help...if I ever put it on.
If you're really intent on mattress masochism, you might at least try just turning the mattress upside down or rotate it, which I used to do.  icon_smile In theory, it was supposed to help even out the spring wear and tear.

I too am a mattress masochist in a different way. My brother gave me a hand-me down bed and frame a few years ago that's nice (it uses lots of little bed slats rather than large ones) but it has a tall ... I guess it's called "footboard" on the far end of the bed. I'm 6'4" and the footboard is about 6'1" or so. When I busted my in-grown left big toenail last summer, it was because I stretched and slammed my toenail into the board.  @#$(*&% Now I've got various small pillows braced against it to protect my toes (although I hadn't stubbed my toes on it in the several years that I used it). Pitiful!

Hell, maybe I should get a Sleep Number bed!  icon_lol Other option might be to get my contractor friend to come over with a bandsaw and saw the footboard off.  icon_razz

What I always hated about mattress stores is they'll throw all these great prices at you and inevitably any bed that's not going to break next month or hurt your back is going to cost about 2-4 times the El Cheapos they advertise to try to draw you in.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:59:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

I have had a sleep number bed for almost 10 years now.  We went into a store talked to them and started receiving mailings; twice a year we would get a mailing for refurbished beds that sell at half price with full warranty.  We bought a king size which has the two separate air mattresses and 2 wired controls (not the wireless).  The bed is great about 6 years in one of the main support beams cracked as I had not put the iron frame center piece together correctly.  We called in under the warranty and we were shipped at no cost two new box frames to assemble; the king has two support boxes you put together that is the "box spring" part.  I did have to box up the two old boxes and ship them back with the prepaid labels included.

The bed is great you can adjust it however you want for either side.  What I have found as the best starting point is to lay flat and make adjustments until you are comfortable; try sleeping that way and make whatever adjustment you need.  This way at least your back should be fine when first sleeping on the mattress until you findjust where you want it.

If you weight fluctuates you can adjust the mattress to make yourself comfortable as well.  I find that when I lose some weight I like the mattress a bit softer.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »

If you're really intent on mattress masochism, you might at least try just turning the mattress upside down or rotate it, which I used to do.  icon_smile In theory, it was supposed to help even out the spring wear and tear.

Already do that smile But you can imagine it not helping much. In fact I turned it around and over around Thanksgiving and found there was a nice hole right under my arse. Also it was VERY compressed there. Hurt my back and I almost would roll out. I ended up reflipping it just the other week and turning the old box springs too. Now Im good again for about a year. smile

And I hate too short beds. That sounds very annoying.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on April 11, 2011, 04:42:52 PM

I slept on a waterbed once and it was great.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 04:05:23 AM »

OK so I finally got a chance to check the beds out this weekend.  It was slow when I hit the store so the lady there spent a good half hour to an hour going over it all with me, so that was nice.  She did the demo starting with the firmest bed, and did that thing where it shows all the pressure points on your body.  And then she lowered the number til I thought it felt good and it was at 45.  You can certainly see and feel a complete difference in the distribution of where your body is putting pressure on the bed.  It's a very interesting feel, it's not the immediate kind of comfort you get when you try out the fancy and expensive pillowtop beds.  But once it's there, it really kind of feels like it's molded to your body somewhat, but not in the way that memory foam does.  It's hard to explain.  I'm not 100% convinced this makes you sleep better, obviously I'd have to really sleep in it to find out.  But for sure, for better or worse, it's a different feel/vibe from traditional beds.  

Next we went to the p5 version which I guess is their biggest seller.  Definitely more comfortable and we did the same test - interestingly the same number popped up!  No tricks that I could tell lol.  And lastly we went to the higher end i8, which has some special material that is supposed to regulate your body temp better.  I was pretty set on getting the last one, when suddenly I noticed the Flexfit - which is the thing that allows you to move your head or feet up and down.  So then I went and demoed that, which was a bad idea, because it was so damn cool.  It even has a full body massage feature that was just sweet.  But the upgrade on top of the bed was another cool $1700.  So I've been going back and forth between going full i8 (with Flexfit), partial i8 (no Flex), or full p5.  Or re-considering entirely.  Given my recent sleep issues, I'm almost willing to try anything, and certainly going full i8 would provide the most physical sleeping options, and the temp compensation material definitely had a very nice feel to it.  I think I've kind of convinced myself even as I'm typing.  We'll see.  Gonna give it a week to research and mull it over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: