http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 03:22:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever have Gall Bladder Surgery?  (Read 2233 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

sounds like they didn't get all of the bear nazgul knife out of you  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »

So, first day back to work, 6 days after surgery.

Not sure how anyone could go back to work the next day, but then:

The doctor was shocked at how bad my gall bladder was performing, and there was a bit of excess bleeding by my liver.
I got a post-op infection. Antibiotics seem to be taking care of it, and the fever has gone.

The 5 insertion points are no longer painful to the touch. Still sore and a little painful when I have to engage my core muscles, but it's a dull pain and much diminished.

I can sleep on my side again, though I do so with ice packs, and I don't sleep on my favored side (i.e. currently the one with all the holes in it.)

On the plus side, I haven't thrown up since surgery, and I have no pains in that side anymore. My back is pretty stiff, mostly from lying around and not being able to use core muscles, but nothing that some PT won't take care of in a month or two.

Thanks for the advice that everyone has given, and the well-wishes. Both have been very helpful.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on August 23, 2010, 07:18:24 PM

The doctor was shocked at how bad my gall bladder was performing, and there was a bit of excess bleeding by my liver.
I got a post-op infection. Antibiotics seem to be taking care of it, and the fever has gone.

The 5 insertion points are no longer painful to the touch. Still sore and a little painful when I have to engage my core muscles, but it's a dull pain and much diminished.

I can sleep on my side again, though I do so with ice packs, and I don't sleep on my favored side (i.e. currently the one with all the holes in it.)

On the plus side, I haven't thrown up since surgery, and I have no pains in that side anymore. My back is pretty stiff, mostly from lying around and not being able to use core muscles, but nothing that some PT won't take care of in a month or two.

Thanks for the advice that everyone has given, and the well-wishes. Both have been very helpful.

thumbsup
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on August 23, 2010, 07:18:24 PM

Your recovery period may be tied into how long it took them to decide the gall bladder was the problem. From when I had my first attack (i had 4 maybe) to having it removed was probably a 6 week process.

Now, I did have a gall stone attack after having it removed. How you ask? Well apparently I had a stone in the tube that attaches the gall bladder to whatever it secretes to and the tube was not flushed during the surgery. The stone got me the same day I had the surgery. Apparently some doctors flush the tube and some don't.

You had 5 incisions....I think I only had 3-4. And I am sure they sent me home with a weeks supply of antibiotics.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »

I remember they started a course of antibiotics before surgery, but I guess they didn't think it immediately necessary, which does make sense.

I'd been having problems since last November, but they were really disabling for the last 3-4 months.

The 5 incisions kinda form a smiley face, if I'm on my side. One in my belly button, one a little higher and to the left, one in the middle of my left side, one higher and to the right, above the second one, and then one above my belly button, above my solar plexus.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 02:15:40 AM »

So, is there anything permanently off the menu?

Or anything that changes in terms of quantity? (Not that I'm Adam from Man V. Food)

Getting tired of pudding, Jell-O and Soup. But I'm a little scared of going off that menu.

I had eggs, biscuits and gravy today and it was the greatest thing I can remember eating.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 02:30:36 AM »

I'd think anything that was really greasy or full of fat would not be ok.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:53:11 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on August 25, 2010, 02:15:40 AM

Or anything that changes in terms of quantity? (Not that I'm Adam from Man V. Food)

Getting tired of pudding, Jell-O and Soup. But I'm a little scared of going off that menu.

I had eggs, biscuits and gravy today and it was the greatest thing I can remember eating.

I love me some Biscuits and Gravy....

From what I can tell it really varies by person.  Hell... for me it varies by day sometimes.  What I would say is start out slowly...  if you eat something you shouldn't you will most likely experience what is called bile dumping.  This causes you to feel like shit... and well... shit... typically the types of food that will create this problem are those high in oils and fats (i.e.  I still don't eat much of anything fried or anything containing mayo.  Low amounts of butter are ok)  I haven't really noticed a change in what I eat.

The thing is... it varies by people.  I have to kinda watch what i eat while others really don't.

FTFY

Quote from: Daehawk on August 25, 2010, 02:30:36 AM

I'd think anything that was wasn't really greasy or full of fat would be ok.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 02:40:55 AM »

I had the same experience after wisdom tooth removal.  first non soft food was awesome.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 02:42:21 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on August 25, 2010, 02:37:10 AM

I love me some Biscuits and Gravy....

dammit, now I'm hungry.

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

Rich foods........My wife will make pancakes/waffles on the weekends and that will usually send me to the bathroom once or twice....I figure it is just the price I pay for eating something I like.

Sometimes it just kicks in. When I eat out I often, not always, will take an immodium before I eat.

Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and not have any troubles.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »

I meant to type greasy or full of fat is NOT ok. I fixed my post.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »

Rich foods........My wife will make pancakes/waffles on the weekends and that will usually send me to the bathroom once or twice....I figure it is just the price I pay for eating something I like.

Sometimes the price is worth it, otherwise I'd never eat chipotle with their hot salsa.

Because I can,
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 12:09:54 AM »

[url][http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/aug/25/texas-state-fair-2010-fried-food-big-tex-awards//url]

My home state, kicking me when I'm down.

I had 2 grilled chicken tacos with nothing on them (though they seemed to have a lot of cilantro/parsley) and I've got indigestion.

Still doesn't hurt at all though smile
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 03:28:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2010, 12:21:37 AM

sounds like they didn't get all of the bear nazgul knife out of you  icon_biggrin

Crap, this just keeps getting worse. I seem to get a mild fever (~99) whenever I eat anything.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »

You are aware that your temperature goes up after you eat, right?  Come on man, you know Bear Grylls always says that in a desert situation, eating full meals is bad because your own metabolism speeds heat stroke.

My mother runs with a low temperature (~97) and her doc told her not to call unless her temp went over 100.  Apparently anything from carrying groceries to your car to having a stressful day can raise your body temp a couple of degrees.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »

Quote from: WarPig on August 26, 2010, 05:00:45 AM

You are aware that your temperature goes up after you eat, right?  Come on man, you know Bear Grylls always says that in a desert situation, eating full meals is bad because your own metabolism speeds heat stroke.

My mother runs with a low temperature (~97) and her doc told her not to call unless her temp went over 100.  Apparently anything from carrying groceries to your car to having a stressful day can raise your body temp a couple of degrees.

That's essentially what's happening. I run a temp in the low 97s, and when I've eaten anything, my temp goes up to just under 100 and stays there for 4-8 hours. And it's intensifying pain in my side and my shoulder. I'll check in with the doc today and see what they want me to do. I'm halfway through a course of antibiotics, so let's hope this all begins to diminish.

What kind of life is it if you can't enjoy toast, honestly?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2010, 02:27:14 AM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on August 26, 2010, 03:28:51 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2010, 12:21:37 AM

Crap, this just keeps getting worse. I seem to get a mild fever (~99) whenever I eat anything.

don't worry, soon you'll be back up and about and

ps.  hopefully laughing doesn't cause you pain paranoid

Because I can,
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »

Ok, the ER doc on Thursday actually said "you won the lottery, unfortunately".

Gall Bladder Fossa - I had an abscess which became filled with a hematoma, and then got infected.
After emergency drain tube placement (we'll talk about this later), I'm stuck in the hospital for 3 days.

The antibiotics also obliterate all the good bacteria in my intestines, causing a bad one to grow, so now I'm on a different antibiotic for that.

By Saturday I was climbing the walls, though having a Kindle helped very much. I was discharged on Sunday afternoon.

I have the drain tube until Thursday, when they will check for any residual infection and hopefully remove it.

The tube really hurts. Especially if I laugh, hiccup, cough, sneeze, or otherwise try to use my diaphragm for that pesky air exchange. Otherwise, I'm feeling much better.

They gave me drugs to make me forget the operation to put it in. But I remember the intense pain of them jamming that tube in my side.

I can sum up with this: "Back the work the next day? What a crock of shit."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »

wow, talk about coincidence- I was just reading this when my Dad called to tell me my sister just had emergency gall bladder surgery.  you're contagious man!

Because I can,
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2010, 12:13:37 AM

wow, talk about coincidence- I was just reading this when my Dad called to tell me my sister just had emergency gall bladder surgery.  you're contagious man!

I hope that she has a better experience than I did.

Have her check to see if she starts running a fever after meals (about 90 minutes after). If so, that could be a complication. Took me a while to correlate that, but in my defense I was drugged and running a fever.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »

Dude, that sucks!  Glad to hear that you're still alive and coherent.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:39 AM »

Damn, Einstenium...that sucks, man...Hope everything gets better soon...
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »

I do hope your doing better now.

Your case is the exception and not the rule as I have never heard of anyone having much trouble with gall bladder surgery. I'm guessing because it took so long for the doctors to decide to take it out.

As for the tube.....I went a couple days with one sticking out my ass.....so if you want to talk about a "pain in the ass" I think I would win.         nod
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on August 31, 2010, 04:51:28 PM

As for the tube.....I went a couple days with one sticking out my ass.....so if you want to talk about a "pain in the ass" I think I would win.         nod

I guess you're used to getting them in the opposite direction. *ba dum pssh*

I was going to say " /rim shot " but that was a bit on the nose.

Feeling much better. Though I can't wait until Thursday to get this tube out of me. I think I'd be willing to live on flax crackers if it kept me out of this miserable condition. (to quote Chris Hardwick, "Flax Crackers, the perfect name for a Vegan Clown.")

And I had 2 Arby's Beef & Cheddar Sandwiches the other day (one of the nurses, trying to raise my spirits, was asking me if I was craving anything I hadn't been able to eat in a while). I get these maybe once every couple of years, but they were awesome. And I had a bit of minor indigestion, and was glad to realize that "indigestion" meant "take Pepto and be fine in 5 minutes" rather than the standard of "puke until your ribs hurt, then spend the rest of the night in agony because going fetal provides no relief".
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on August 31, 2010, 05:01:15 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on August 31, 2010, 04:51:28 PM

I guess you're used to getting them in the opposite direction. *ba dum pssh*

I was going to say " /rim shot " but that was a bit on the nose.

Feeling much better. Though I can't wait until Thursday to get this tube out of me. I think I'd be willing to live on flax crackers if it kept me out of this miserable condition. (to quote Chris Hardwick, "Flax Crackers, the perfect name for a Vegan Clown.")

And I had 2 Arby's Beef & Cheddar Sandwiches the other day (one of the nurses, trying to raise my spirits, was asking me if I was craving anything I hadn't been able to eat in a while). I get these maybe once every couple of years, but they were awesome. And I had a bit of minor indigestion, and was glad to realize that "indigestion" meant "take Pepto and be fine in 5 minutes" rather than the standard of "puke until your ribs hurt, then spend the rest of the night in agony because going fetal provides no relief".

if you were going through that then you were much worse than most ever get
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

Drain tube is finally out. Weird sensation having that pulled out of me, but I'm glad it's gone. Every now and then it sends a little shock into my abdomen, above my solar plexus, but I'm sure that will taper off soon. Everything else is good, I'm feeling better than I have in the past year.

Dreading getting back into shape. I gained about 40 lbs (I am 6'2" and weighed 280 before surgery). The more alarming thing is I am down to 263, but that's probably not the good kind of weight loss. Hopefully Knightshade will take it easy on me as I get back into the swing of things, in 4-6 weeks I hope to be back to martial arts.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: