http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 05:18:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else regret not being born in today's age?  (Read 2179 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:48:39 AM »

What I mean by that is, we are finally at the point in life where it's truly good. We've got fast computers with internet and incredibly realistic games, space exploration while still in it's early ages, has started to take off, science is getting better, animals have been successfully cloned, and everybody has a cell phone these days.

What gets to me is (being a scifi fanatic) that in a few hundred years from now, we'll no doubt have exlpored mars and beyond, have true virtual worlds we can create and enter (ever wanted to feel like it was to live in the feet of King Arhtur and experience his battles all like YOU are king artur?) and play our games that way making US the real character, 100% automated AI machines that can do just about anything whether cleaning the house, going to war for you, putting your car on auto pilot so you can take a nap on your 4 hour drive upstate, whatever.

It just feels like there's so much more to come from life, and none of us will be around to experience it. I want to see us make our first contact with life outside our galaxy (we just found a 10th planet way out there and as the universe goes on forever - there has to be some other life out there), I want my 3010 edition of the "Roomba" to be a hot realistic android maid wearing a little miniskirt as she sweeps up and does the dishes for me, I want to see us get the point in life where things like parkinson's disease can be cured, where if a woman has a bad heart a new one can be created for her so she can continue living, I wan to see the future's video games be true virtual worlds like in StarTrek where you enter hologram battlefields and can be in the shoes of the character you control, feeling his pain and like you are really there.
Hell, I want to live forever..  :wink:

Anyone else wish they could see the future? My only real fear in life is getting old, and watching movies such as The Island, Vanilla Sky, and all the others where things like this take place just feed my imagination that much more.
Speaking of the Island - damn good movie, anyone see it?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »

I'm the other way.  I regret being born into this modern madness.  We as a species are not designed for it*, and it shows.

*In the sense that modern soceity is quite dissimilar to our evolutionary background, don't worry, I'm not some creationist freak.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 05:15:18 AM »

Screw the technology.  I'm just miffed because I don't remember girls being nearly as hot when I was in high school.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 05:23:40 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Screw the technology.  I'm just miffed because I don't remember girls being nearly as hot when I was in high school.  slywink

Or easy. smile  I had trouble staying focused on school with PnP D&D and an Apple IIe.  I don't know if I wouldn't be digging ditches right now if I was in high school today.  College?  Sweet mother you can forget it.  As it is, I may have to take my degree down and send it back in, just for thinking about it. slywink

Also, though, we grew up in a much more black and white world (or at least I did).  Growing up without an obvious totalitarian rival, with America as the sole superpower, and without the nearly so obfuscated threat of nuclear annihilation makes the climate today much more murky than it seemed to us back then.  And the world moved in a more rational way: we had enemies, but at least there were rules of engagement that everyone followed, and no one wanted to die.  Now things are quite different.

Being diabetic, though, I have to wish I would have been born as close to the invention of a cure as possible.  So that is the one factor in favor of moving my birthdate forward.  That and the easy girls.  :twisted:

Rhino

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 06:38:23 AM »

The young girls with their big breasts :shock: ...That wasn`t around when I was younger :oops: ...It MUST be the hormones in the food or something :idea: ...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:22:12 AM »

Quote from: "Rhinohelix"
Or easy. smile  I had trouble staying focused on school with PnP D&D and an Apple IIe.  I don't know if I wouldn't be digging ditches right now if I was in high school today.  College?  Sweet mother you can forget it.
If it's any consolation, the girls here at Northwestern are hideous.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »

Being a person who believes in reincarnation I can say no,I don't regret being born now or any of my other lives.Altho the Ice Age was a bitch. :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Being a person who believes in reincarnation I can say no,I don't regret being born now or any of my other lives.Altho the Ice Age was a bitch. :wink:

Hey, shouldn't TheMissingLink have posted that last part?   :lol:

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »

I think I would have enjoyed experiencing life in a couple hundred years ago had I been born lucky enough to be privileged.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 07:09:02 PM »

I'd like to be able to sey "Yeah, I wish I was born in that time or the other", but the reality is different.  For instance,  I believe completely that there is other life out there.  Therefore, first contact would be no surprise or particularly notable to me.  Unless War of the Worlds broke out, but that's another topic.

I like being able to enjoy today's tech as an adult, so I can't say I wish I was born now.

I have no idea how much more enjoyable tomorrow's tech will be for the people  of tomorrow, versus how enjoyable today's tech is for us, so I can't say I wish I was born in the future.

Look at it this way:  Okay, so you are in the future, and you have holodeck games.  Are those holodeck games giving you any more bang for the buck in enjoying your free time than today's games are giving us now?  Before you jump to say "Hell yes, obviously it would!", consider this:  In a world where holodeck games are commonplace, imagine what other kinds of tech would also be available and what other things you could be spending your time on.  It could very well be that when holodeck games are available, their relative entertainment value amounts to the same that we have now from PC and console games.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 09:26:32 PM »

I gotta live in a time with flush toilets,that's all there is to it. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 09:45:01 PM »

I would have loved to have lived in a time where I could carve out my own piece of land, hunted my own food, built my own home... a life where I work not to make someone else wealthy and get paid a salary in return, but a life where any work I do directly benefits me and my loved ones, and is meaningful rewarding work like growing my food, or building my home.  

Having said that, I'm sure every time and place has it's own set of drawbacks.  When I get mauled by a bear while walking in my woods in my above scenario, I have no one to blame but myself.  smile
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 10:25:12 PM »

Dude are you crazy, I was born in 1990, and it sucks.

Yea we have these awesome computers and video games, etc.

But big deal. I could live without video games and computers no problem, and I play video games and use my computer everyday! And yes I have a cell phone also! But all that means nothing to me.

I wish I was born in the 70's because then I could be a guitar legend by now, I could have been in an awesome band and had long hair and wore gruby clothes. Now that would have been f'n sweet.

But instead I'm born into this stupid world, I dont want a robot "hot" maid doing stuff for be I want a real hot lady, and us sharing dueties.

I'm an active person, I have a fit body, I work out daily, I play sports. Theres way more to life than wicked technology, sure its good, but then again if I was born in the 70's I could have invented some of this stuff, because I'm extremely smart(yea, yea I just said that, but its true, I'm not going to pretend I'm not anymore!) I often find myself thinking up great inventions and they end up coming out months later, I swear I have a stalker or something.

Anyways, my point. I dont enjoy being born in this generation. Even though I have a fulfilling life and I'm all up on the gadgets, and I know how to work computers and repair them and do graphic design and web coding and I play videos games. But I also try to incorporate things that get me out of the house once in a while, to actually enjoy my real life. Usually about every Saturday night biggrin

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 10:49:36 PM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
But I also try to incorporate things that get me out of the house once in a while, to actually enjoy my real life. Usually about every Saturday night biggrin
It's sad that our generation has come to think of the debaucherous 'Saturday night' as meaningful 'real life.'

I really despise my generation.  Most of us will end up a bunch of braindead media zombies, the few who don't will be so psychotic and embittered that we'd wish we had.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 11:35:45 PM »

I wish I was born in the 70's because then I could be a guitar legend by now, I could have been in an awesome band and had long hair and wore gruby clothes. Now that would have been f'n sweet.

Heh... I was born in the 70s, and wish I was born in the 40s - I could've beaten Eddie Van Halen to the punch smile
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 12:04:40 AM »

Not really.  EVERY age has had its technology breakthroughs of some kind that were a sight to behold.  The invention of the phonograph was no less fascinating to those people then than our trip to the moon.

There is no particular age I would prefer to live through EXCEPT one.  I would like to be there when we finally do make contact with another lifeform.  Even if it is a bug.  The talk, contraversy, discussion, despair, excitement, etc would be incredible to behold.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 12:44:46 AM »

I'm just a wee bit upset that I was born before we all have our own holodeck.

I was eating dinner with my mom a while back and expressed my frustration that by the time certain things are legalized I will be too old to care. :cry:  Remember kids: Just say no!

I am actually happy I wasn't born earlier.  Life's pretty easy these days.  A lot less to worry about, or at least more trivial things now.  Modern medicine and the Internet are awesome!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 12:46:42 AM »

Hell no...

Before the advent of computers and console games I spent just about every waking hour outside playing baseball, riding my bike, building forts, playing cops and robbers and so on. My friends and I could camp out in our front lawn all summer long without fear. We rafted down the creek that ran through our small town like Huck Finn. We had adventures...

I doubt todays children can say the same. I was born in 1967 and even though I had to suffer through the disco age of the 70's and the butt rock age of the early 80's I would not trade that for this new techno age.

I owned a Pong game, a Commodore Vic 20 with tape cassette drive and have grown with the computer systems over the ages.

Todays kids have the best of everything and I don't think they appreciate it. Looking back I remember appreciating the technical advances as they rolled out. Especially the tv remote...meant I didn't have to be the channel changer anymore smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 02:32:19 AM »

Screw you all, I'm gonna live forever!  I even have Calvin's gravestone picked out.  Hope you like pumice you cheep bastage!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 04:51:38 AM »

It was only a matter of time before a thread about the future and technology leads to talk about women's breasts, but hey, just what will women's breasts be like 500 years from now anyway? Right now natural women are a rare breed. They all want to get cut up and sliced full of plastic.
Maybe I'm just one in a million, but I still prefer the "all natural" woman.

And yeah girls these days, something else. Back in the old days a girl looked her age, this day in age a 14-16 year old girl looks like she's easily 18+. I still try to avoid driving by the high school when it gets out because I don't need to be in another accident being "distracted" by something going along the side walks. The way they dress, from the tightest jeans you can imagine, to miniskirts, tank tops, well you get the idea. Just take a drive by the local high school when it gets out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The idea of a holodeck, thanks for bringing that up because now that's even more fuel for my imagination.
If you could live out a game by actually being the character, that's leaps beyond anything even close to what we have today. Of course it'd be fun!
You want to go hunt bears in the forest and collect for your family - hell you don't need to be born in the past to do that you could do all of that on a holodeck, without even breaking a sweat! And if you get "killed" you can just start over again.
Me personally I'd want to live in the shoes of Julius Caesar or King Arthur and fight some of the famous battles.
I'd like to be Caesar the day he was betrayed and bring in the guards with me and be commanding them "Kill all the senators, even Brutus!" and I'd join in on the action.
Re-living history in a fictional video game on a holodeck. Just amazing.

Being born in in 1990 isn't really what I had in mind about being born in today's age. Actually I was thinking being born around 2100 - because while we're getting there we are still aways off.
In 1900 nobody had a computer, ever heard of video games, had to sleep at night in their own sweat because AC wasn't invented yet, and the idea of a "Roomba" vacuuming your carpet was ridicilous. But today, everyone has that stuff.

I believe in life other than our own as well. The galaxy goes on forever but what if the life we eventually do meet do end up like something from War of the worlds or mars attacks? Aren't you going to miss not being able to put on your space suit, whipping out your stun pistol and setting it to kill, kissing your android fembot goodbye, and heading off into battle starship troopers style?
I know I sure as hell am, and that's why again, I really wish I could have been born a 100 years later than what I was.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 09:52:53 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Heh... I was born in the 70s, and wish I was born in the 40s - I could've beaten Eddie Van Halen to the punch smile

.......and you'd be around 60 now.Are you absolutely sure that's what you want? :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"
Hell no...

Before the advent of computers and console games I spent just about every waking hour outside playing baseball, riding my bike, building forts, playing cops and robbers and so on. My friends and I could camp out in our front lawn all summer long without fear. We rafted down the creek that ran through our small town like Huck Finn. We had adventures...

I doubt todays children can say the same. I was born in 1967 and even though I had to suffer through the disco age of the 70's and the butt rock age of the early 80's I would not trade that for this new techno age.

I owned a Pong game, a Commodore Vic 20 with tape cassette drive and have grown with the computer systems over the ages.

Todays kids have the best of everything and I don't think they appreciate it. Looking back I remember appreciating the technical advances as they rolled out. Especially the tv remote...meant I didn't have to be the channel changer anymore smile

I tend to agree here. I too was born in 1967... no cable television, no vcr's, no video games.

The reason we appreciate being able to watch a DVD or play video games, or the internet even, is because it wasnt always there. We KNOW the diffrence my sons, DO NOT. And hey, when they are our age they will say, WE DIDNT HAVE ORGASMATRON machines when we were young!!!

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 02:43:15 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Quote from: "RobbieD"
Hell no...

I tend to agree here. I too was born in 1967... no cable television, no vcr's, no video games.

The reason we appreciate being able to watch a DVD or play video games, or the internet even, is because it wasnt always there. We KNOW the diffrence my sons, DO NOT. And hey, when they are our age they will say, WE DIDNT HAVE ORGASMATRON machines when we were young!!!

There is a lot of truth to that.  

When I go back home it is kind of depressing because when I was a kid we were on the back of a subdivision and all the rest was fields and forests.  A good Saturday was getting up early, meeting up with the other kids in the neighborhood and just exploring.  Now it is all just more houses and yards.

Edited for RIF
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
It was only a matter of time before a thread about the future and technology leads to talk about women's breasts, but hey, just what will women's breasts be like 500 years from now anyway? Right now natural women are a rare breed. They all want to get cut up and sliced full of plastic.

And yeah girls these days, something else. Back in the old days a girl looked her age, this day in age a 14-16 year old girl looks like she's easily 18+. I still try to avoid driving by the high school when it gets out because I don't need to be in another accident being "distracted" by something going along the side walks. The way they dress, from the tightest jeans you can imagine, to miniskirts, tank tops, well you get the idea. Just take a drive by the local high school when it gets out and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The idea of a holodeck, thanks for bringing that up because now that's even more fuel for my imagination.
If you could live out a game by actually being the character, that's leaps beyond anything even close to what we have today. Of course it'd be fun!
You want to go hunt bears in the forest and collect for your family - hell you don't need to be born in the past to do that you could do all of that on a holodeck, without even breaking a sweat! And if you get "killed" you can just start over again.
Me personally I'd want to live in the shoes of Julius Caesar or King Arthur and fight some of the famous battles.
I'd like to be Caesar the day he was betrayed and bring in the guards with me and be commanding them "Kill all the senators, even Brutus!" and I'd join in on the action.
Re-living history in a fictional video game on a holodeck. Just amazing.

Admit it, you would be using the holo-deck to cruise by high schools full of young girls (with natural breasts)  :wink:
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 10:23:27 PM »

Make that two.  I'm with you there.

And the holodeck experience you talked about was on last night.  The ST:TNG episode called "Hollow Persuits" kind of summed it up when an engineer keeps missing work because he was living out his fantasies in the holodeck.  I can't imagine what a grind work would be like if I had that game to look forward to come 5 PM every day!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 10:46:04 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Quote from: "Laner"

.......and you'd be around 60 now.Are you absolutely sure that's what you want? :wink:

Hey, as long as I'm alive and healthy, it's all good smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 03:48:45 AM »

It's probably better that girls didn't dress like that when I was going to school.  I never would have been able to pay attention in class.
Anyone else wish they could see the future? My only real fear in life is getting old, and watching movies such as The Island, Vanilla Sky, and all the others where things like this take place just feed my imagination that much more.

I don't look forward to getting old, or more specifically, have all the health problems resulting from age.  I also don't want to be around when  the Earth is destroyed from global warming or there's no more room from overpopulation.  Maybe I should just be happy I can still go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
But I also try to incorporate things that get me out of the house once in a while, to actually enjoy my real life. Usually about every Saturday night biggrin
It's sad that our generation has come to think of the debaucherous 'Saturday night' as meaningful 'real life.'

I really despise my generation.  Most of us will end up a bunch of braindead media zombies, the few who don't will be so psychotic and embittered that we'd wish we had.

Exactly, see I refer to Saturday as my "escape day" for my social life(=real life) because it is. I go to school all week and work a job everyday, it all depends on the weather, if it snows I work, and I live in Canada so it snows pretty much everyday.

I despise my generation to, well I dont want to retype my entire first post in this thread, but despise is a nice sum up.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: